African Safari: Worth it or Hype?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 11111
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: African Safari: Worth it or Hype?

Post by TomatoTomahto »

financeguy88 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:54 am We were watching a female lion and her cubs stalk a pack of buffalo close to sunset, one of the few times we were on the main roads. The tourists not staying at the lodge had to leave just as the action was heating up. Also most of the time we were on roads or paths in an off-roading vehicle that no normal vehicle could drive on, or we'd drive through deep mud or knee deep water. Sometimes we'd go off the roads through the high grass to get closer to the game. Perhaps somewhere in the park there are dirt roads that are open to the public.
6 of us (4 family and a friendly couple) were in a converted Range Rover. The conversion opened the vehicle up so that there wasn't a bad seat in the house. I don't know how much was Range Rover capability and how much was driver capability, but we didn't bother too much with roads, dirt or otherwise. As good as the guide was, the tracker was almost supernatural in his ability to track animals during night rides.

It cost us a lot. It was worth every penny. This thread has reminded me that perhaps we should arrange a return visit.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.
User avatar
TheTimeLord
Posts: 8249
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: African Safari: Worth it or Hype?

Post by TheTimeLord »

Worth it imho, also worth doing right. Its been a while but still 1 of my top 3 vacations. Stayed in a permanent tented camp on a river. Game drives twice daily. It was magical and so cathartic at 5:00 in the morning waiting for dawn. It was like being in another world, a very peaceful tranquil world.

All that said I really believe good travel is 80%-90% attitude and openness.
Last edited by TheTimeLord on Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
User avatar
TheTimeLord
Posts: 8249
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: African Safari: Worth it or Hype?

Post by TheTimeLord »

zlltt wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:42 pm People usually overrate their travel, since they had spent so much time and money.



I have a unique way to judge if it's a hype or really worth it, check the revisiting ratio.
More returning customers, the more worth it.

The rule is also good for restaurant.

What do you think?
Seems like a poor way of judging things unless you believe the height of dining is McDonald's and the pinnacle of travel is Las Vegas.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
User avatar
Nate79
Posts: 6411
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:24 pm
Location: Delaware

Re: African Safari: Worth it or Hype?

Post by Nate79 »

These safari's sound wonderful. I traveled once to South Africa for business and am kicking myself I didn't take some time and do something besides the business meetings....

How much do these Safari's cost (per person or for a couple)?
bnrtgb
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:06 pm

Re: African Safari: Worth it or Hype?

Post by bnrtgb »

Worth it.

We had a private guide driving us around Serengeti for a week for us and two other couples (friends of ours). We spent a week in a beach cottage on Zanzibar afterward. Absolutely best vacation experience we've had. 7000 pictures, 2 coffee table books, one "published" journal, and 14 hours of video were the result.
an_asker
Posts: 2727
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:15 pm

Re: African Safari: Worth it or Hype?

Post by an_asker »

Lynette wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:28 pm [...]That lady would have been better off in a zoo.
I know you were not meaning this, but it comes out very funny ;-)

PS: I'm PMing you ...
kevinobes
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:18 pm

Re: African Safari: Worth it or Hype?

Post by kevinobes »

Definitely worth it. I went in September 2014 to climb Kilimanjaro via the Machame Route and then spent a week on safari in Tarangire, Serengeti, and Ngorongoro Crater. I don't know if it is by design or just coincidence, but Tarangire did not seem to have any predators so mainly just elephants, giraffes, zebra, antelope...but the Serengeti is where it's at. The first day we had was a bit rainy so we didn't expect to see much but within the first hour we came upon a pride of lions feasting on a fresh wildebeest kill no more than ten yards from the road. I don't suspect I'll ever see anything that can compare. Multiple leopards, cheetahs, crocs, hippos, baboons, zebras and antelope for miles and miles, and the rest of the cast. I actually found myself most excited by the exotic birds (other than the lion feast of course).

We were lucky to see the Big 5, though we could barely see the outline of the rhino in Ngorongoro Crater since you must stay on the roads there and he was pretty far out. I believe this is the only park where you must stay on the given paths at all times...I know there is some discussion in the comments above, but I believe everyone has permission to be on any of the roads, paved or otherwise. I'm sure the willingness of the driver to go all out is somewhat dependent on what you pay. I didn't think the price was outrageous relative to the experience and lifelong memories. For reference, my entire trip with Tanzania Journeys was around $4500 ($1,300 flight from NY to Tanzania, $2800 for 6 day guided Kilimanjaro trek and 5 day safari, plus a few hundred for miscellaneous tips/food/souvenirs).

I've had the fortune to also travel to Nepal and Peru to trek to Everest Base Camp and the Inca Trail...and hopefully Europe for Mont Blanc next year..but I can say that Kili and the safari were the best so far and I see myself returning to the continent in the future.
Lynette
Posts: 2060
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:47 am

Re: African Safari: Worth it or Hype?

Post by Lynette »

an_asker wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:00 am
Lynette wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:28 pm [...]That lady would have been better off in a zoo.
I know you were not meaning this, but it comes out very funny ;-)

PS: I'm PMing you ...
Yes, I did mean it. This is why I am recommending that visitors who do not know much about what to expect do some research. A starting point is to look at a map of Africa. I sometimes get quite discouraged when I meet new people and find out how little they know about Africa.

I've been away from South Africa for a long time and when I return I like to discuss the changes with the locals. The African guide who was driving the vehicle was a nice guy who was trying hard to please everyone. This lady was cooing about how she had to see the big five in the eleven hours that she was there. This put the guide under unreasonable pressure. I think that the Kruger National Park is the size of Israel and the animals aren't puppets that appear when a tourist wants to see them. This tour guide likely had a family to support and this unreasonable lady probably gave him a bad review and complained to his employer.

This is why I'm harping on researching what is available and what to expect. All of this information is currently available on the internet.
Loz1444
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:30 am

Re: African Safari: Worth it or Hype?

Post by Loz1444 »

wilked wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:07 pm Amazing

We did safari / Kili / Zanzibar. Best traveling I have ever done

I’m looking at doing something similar soon - what company did you go through etc? Where did you go? Where you there long? Any details would be great!
DiMAn0684
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:27 am

Re: African Safari: Worth it or Hype?

Post by DiMAn0684 »

I have done a 7 day safari in Kenya with two more friends in 2015 and this was perhaps the most epic trip of my life so far.

With that said, the prices people throwing around seem ridiculous to me. A colleague of mine did a two week trip to South Africa with a small group of friends this summer, and each person paid roughly the price comparable to a brand new family sedan (~$25k). When we went, we found a local company that arranged everything for us, and paid them ~$1600pp. We stayed in luxury lodges and had an awesome guide. One thing we didn't do was a hot air balloon ride in Masai Mara, but that would have probably added ~$300 to the price of the trip.
wilked
Posts: 1772
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:50 pm

Re: African Safari: Worth it or Hype?

Post by wilked »

Loz1444 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:33 am
wilked wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:07 pm Amazing

We did safari / Kili / Zanzibar. Best traveling I have ever done

I’m looking at doing something similar soon - what company did you go through etc? Where did you go? Where you there long? Any details would be great!
We did a 21 day trip or so...week-long safari (Tarangire, Ngorongoro, Manyara, and Serengeti), as well as a week-long Trek on Kili. We also did a week at Zanzibar, but coordinated that on our own.

We used Swala Safari for the first two weeks. This was 7 years ago or so, for what it's worth, and we paid $1300 pp
Tiffku08
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:10 am

Re: African Safari: Worth it or Hype?

Post by Tiffku08 »

DEBTINATOR wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:24 pm The trek up Kilimanjaro was even better. Safari was terrific too.
Totally agree with this. You definitely have to do the trek while you're there.
SrGrumpy
Posts: 1193
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: African Safari: Worth it or Hype?

Post by SrGrumpy »

Airfare sale now on - Star Alliance - $500 range - U.S. to the likes of Uganda, Johannesburg, Tanzania, Nairobi, Kigali, Cape Town, etc. I think I'll do Uganda. Even if I just see a few stray cats, it'll be a good deal.
sil2017
Posts: 495
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:25 am

Re: African Safari: Worth it or Hype?

Post by sil2017 »

Worth it for some but not for others.

South Africa - Kruger Park was worth it for us.

We rented a car, stayed at the campsites, saw the big 5 with 4 /5 just across the road from us .

Mt. Kilimanjaro with Tanzania for safari and Zanzibar for beach stay - So so , lots of anxieties with hiking Mt Kili, Seregenti not a big deal as I already visited Kruger Park half a year ago, and nothing to do in Zanzibar other than hang out in the hot sun.

Uganda - Mountain gorillas trekking well worth it. Once in a life time opportunity

If anyone is interested in bidding for an African Vacation"

https://www.biddingforgood.com/auction/ ... =341700596
jaxbmw
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:45 am

Re: African Safari: Worth it or Hype?

Post by jaxbmw »

One of our GREAT trips.

We did the Masai Mara out of Kenya.

Started with the Treetops lodge. This is where Princess Elizabeth stayed in 1952 and acceded to the throne upon her fathers death. You feel like you have stepped back in time. There is a large water hole that the hotel overlooks. Not much to see during the day but things change at night. A buzzer goes off when animals enter the water hole area. You can watch from either the elevated platform or go down to ground level and watch through a glassed in area. Elephants, gazelles and hyenas came are varying times. Some of the action was pretty graphic, I will leave it at that.

From there we went out on the Masai Mara. The feeling when we got to the last town on the paved road was awesome. The Serengeti was breaktaking. The herds of animals were plentiful and they are so graceful. The wildebeest crossing is just like you have seen in pictures. We almost lost our lunches when we were surprised by some hippos that raised out of the river. We stayed at a couple of Serena lodges and felt like royalty when we came in after touring to be met with mimosas and cool wash clothes.

We finished our tour off with Zanzibar and loved it. The trip was one big cultural explosion.
mslaw
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:35 pm

Re: African Safari: Worth it or Hype?

Post by mslaw »

Thank you all for providing an excellent daydream this morning.
Shallowpockets
Posts: 1677
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:26 am

Re: African Safari: Worth it or Hype?

Post by Shallowpockets »

Back from Kruger in November. 16 nights inside the park, 7 different places to stay including Wolhutter wilderness camp. Rental car and drove ourselves. Drove 1,051miles inside the park.You can drive any road that is not prohibited by a sign. The person who said they drove off-road to get closer, I think not. Something wrong there. Never did we see anyone go off into the grass. Not commercial tours or even Rangers. No difference in possibilities of seeing animals on a paved road verses a dirt road.
Gates open at 0530 and close at 1800. We were there for the time change so it was then 0430 and 1830. You have to be out of the park or back into the camps.
It is not luxury. No butlers or mimosas.
It would be like going to Yellowstone but with way way more roads to drive and seeing animals.
I would recommend it. We looked at all kinds of safaris. Cheapest was about $3200 special for one week including airfare. You go up from there. Can go way up.
As a keeper of all my expenses I know it cost us $6657.14. Door to door from our home for two people for 21 days with 16 in the park.
Those who don't like to travel will not go simply because it is grueling just for the flights to get there. South Africa is a long way from anywhere. Those who don't like to fly. Never would you do it. Example, 38 1/2 hours door to door travel on our way home.
All I all a splendid trip. Saw everyhting.
Or, you could go to the zoo.
fasteddie911
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 3:13 pm

Re: African Safari: Worth it or Hype?

Post by fasteddie911 »

Shallowpockets wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:29 am Back from Kruger in November. 16 nights inside the park, 7 different places to stay including Wolhutter wilderness camp. Rental car and drove ourselves. Drove 1,051miles inside the park.You can drive any road that is not prohibited by a sign. The person who said they drove off-road to get closer, I think not. Something wrong there. Never did we see anyone go off into the grass. Not commercial tours or even Rangers. No difference in possibilities of seeing animals on a paved road verses a dirt road.
Gates open at 0530 and close at 1800. We were there for the time change so it was then 0430 and 1830. You have to be out of the park or back into the camps.
It is not luxury. No butlers or mimosas.
It would be like going to Yellowstone but with way way more roads to drive and seeing animals.
I would recommend it. We looked at all kinds of safaris. Cheapest was about $3200 special for one week including airfare. You go up from there. Can go way up.
As a keeper of all my expenses I know it cost us $6657.14. Door to door from our home for two people for 21 days with 16 in the park.
Those who don't like to travel will not go simply because it is grueling just for the flights to get there. South Africa is a long way from anywhere. Those who don't like to fly. Never would you do it. Example, 38 1/2 hours door to door travel on our way home.
All I all a splendid trip. Saw everyhting.
Or, you could go to the zoo.
I have talked to friends over the years who've done the african safari, with mixed response, and I'm not sure whether it's worth it for me or not. But your last few lines stuck out to me. The flight does sound daunting and I'm not a fan of long flights. Also, I'm not sure if your zoo comment was a joke, but I don't really care to see african animals at the zoo, I get a bigger kick from seeing North American animals (maybe because they are less common in zoos?) and I found yellowstone to be very enjoyable for animal viewing.
wilked
Posts: 1772
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:50 pm

Re: African Safari: Worth it or Hype?

Post by wilked »

Shallowpockets wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:29 am Back from Kruger in November. 16 nights inside the park, 7 different places to stay including Wolhutter wilderness camp. Rental car and drove ourselves. Drove 1,051miles inside the park.You can drive any road that is not prohibited by a sign. The person who said they drove off-road to get closer, I think not. Something wrong there. Never did we see anyone go off into the grass. Not commercial tours or even Rangers. No difference in possibilities of seeing animals on a paved road verses a dirt road.
Gates open at 0530 and close at 1800. We were there for the time change so it was then 0430 and 1830. You have to be out of the park or back into the camps.
It is not luxury. No butlers or mimosas.
It would be like going to Yellowstone but with way way more roads to drive and seeing animals.
I would recommend it. We looked at all kinds of safaris. Cheapest was about $3200 special for one week including airfare. You go up from there. Can go way up.
As a keeper of all my expenses I know it cost us $6657.14. Door to door from our home for two people for 21 days with 16 in the park.
Those who don't like to travel will not go simply because it is grueling just for the flights to get there. South Africa is a long way from anywhere. Those who don't like to fly. Never would you do it. Example, 38 1/2 hours door to door travel on our way home.
All I all a splendid trip. Saw everyhting.
Or, you could go to the zoo.
Do you recommend 16 nights? Seems like a long time
User avatar
WoodSpinner
Posts: 1657
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:15 pm

Re: African Safari: Worth it or Hype?

Post by WoodSpinner »

Best vacation ever...

Planning the 4th Safari as we speak....

If you love animals, love photography, and really want to see nature in the wild it is a great trip.

Botswana is one of my top favorites—a wide variety of climates and animals and generally wonderful people.

Caveat, I don’t mind roughing it and tend to gravitate towards tuhis type of experience rather than fancy game lodges. Fortunately there is the right tour for every level of desired comfort.

One of my most memorable experiences was watching a kill of a giraffe by a pride of lions and spending the night observing the various predators jockey for position and their share. Took almost 3000 photographs that night —just an amazing experience.

WoodSpinner
SrGrumpy
Posts: 1193
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: African Safari: Worth it or Hype?

Post by SrGrumpy »

Old thread, but having just got back from seeing mountain gorillas and other animals in (amazing) Uganda, my $0.05: Consider spending beyond your means. Live it up on what may be a once in a lifetime trip. I went the cheapskate route and quickly regretted it.
Shallowpockets
Posts: 1677
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:26 am

Re: African Safari: Worth it or Hype?

Post by Shallowpockets »

SrGrumpy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:43 pm Old thread, but having just got back from seeing mountain gorillas and other animals in (amazing) Uganda, my $0.05: Consider spending beyond your means. Live it up on what may be a once in a lifetime trip. I went the cheapskate route and quickly regretted it.

Can you elaborate on this? What cheapskate route did you do? Ultimately you would need a guide and the permits to see the gorillas. Both of those things are not cheap and are required. You cannot just go into the forest on your own.
Was cheapskate route just showing up in Kigali and arranging it from there? That would take extra time incountry I am sure.
Off hand I am thinking that to see these gorillas will cost about 10k for two people. Probably more. I think the park permit entry fee is $600 per person per day alone.
How did you do it?
SrGrumpy
Posts: 1193
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: African Safari: Worth it or Hype?

Post by SrGrumpy »

Shallowpockets wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:35 pm
SrGrumpy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:43 pm Old thread, but having just got back from seeing mountain gorillas and other animals in (amazing) Uganda, my $0.05: Consider spending beyond your means. Live it up on what may be a once in a lifetime trip. I went the cheapskate route and quickly regretted it.

Can you elaborate on this? What cheapskate route did you do? Ultimately you would need a guide and the permits to see the gorillas. Both of those things are not cheap and are required. You cannot just go into the forest on your own.
Was cheapskate route just showing up in Kigali and arranging it from there? That would take extra time incountry I am sure.
Off hand I am thinking that to see these gorillas will cost about 10k for two people. Probably more. I think the park permit entry fee is $600 per person per day alone.
How did you do it?
Actually the Bwindi portion was OK. We paid $600 each for the permit and about $650 each for 2 nights at a wonderful "mid-range" lodge, Ichumbi. Transport also included. Pick up in Kigali, drop-off in Kampala. Don't do Kampala-Bwindi-Kampala. The drive will kill you. Guide is provided by the park, and you just have to hope you're assigned a good bunch of camera-friendly primates. It would be hard to spend $10,000 but anything's possible, I suppose.

My problem was with the Big 6 safari at Murchison Falls National Park. It was done through the Red Chilli youth hostel, so it's clear what the target demo is. OK, so be it. But when they outsource driving to a dude whose crappy van requires a push start every time, then you know you're in for a bumpy time. Literally. You're driving for hours on an unpaved trail with no a/c and the open window filling the van with dust. It was all downhill from there. Paying a bit extra for better wheels, guide and accommodation would have been wise.
RadAudit
Posts: 3913
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 10:20 am
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: African Safari: Worth it or Hype?

Post by RadAudit »

sil2017 wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:15 pm Uganda - Mountain gorillas trekking well worth it. Once in a life time opportunity
For the not so athletically inclined, a comic / talk show host has a recent video out with a bit on her trek uphill through knee deep mud to see mountain gorillas. Might be worth looking at before you sign up for a trip.

YMMV
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.
ohai
Posts: 1327
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: African Safari: Worth it or Hype?

Post by ohai »

RIP Cecil.
Kiter
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:21 pm

Re: African Safari: Worth it or Hype?

Post by Kiter »

At game parks the guides communicate among each other on locations of sightings and can help with identification of birds ,etc. Just something you would not get on your own .
scottr08
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:38 am

Re: African Safari: Worth it or Hype?

Post by scottr08 »

As a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer (Zambia), I spent many weeks in other areas/countries (Tanzania, Malawi, Zanzibar, northern Mozambique). Even took the 30 hour train from Zambia to Dar! That being said, all those were backpacker travels and stayed at the lower end of the accommodations, but still managed to see all the other touristy areas. Even went out to eat at a fancy restaurant (at one of the nicer lodges) a few nights. Although we stayed at lower end accommodations, there are plenty to choose from budget and comfort wise!

If you're in to diving/snorkeling/freediving/spearfishing Zanzibar and then Ibo Island in Mozambique were some of the best spearfishing spots I've ever been to!

Can't specifically recommend a certain type of safari (I'm going on my first one with my parents and wife this June), but they look to be fun! All in all, travel in Africa is amazing (just spent 6 months in Sierra Leone) and highly recommend it wherever and whatever you decide to do. As a tip, be prepared to be patient at times; Africa time is much slower than American time, but I've come to love that (being late to meetings is ok).

Also, I planned all of my trips with Bradt travel guides. They have most everything you would want to do in that specific country.

-Scott
mlipps
Posts: 1011
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:35 am

Re: African Safari: Worth it or Hype?

Post by mlipps »

Another twist on the safari experience--I'm going to Tanzania for a two week cycling tour thru Intrepid Travel in September. You spend the time in the parks in vehicles, but do some of the travelling between different tourist highlights via bicycle. As a solo traveler, I was intimidated by the idea of showing up in Africa and finding a tour to join. On the other hand, it was well outside my budget to book a traditional safari, and the idea of staying at luxury lodges is so far outside the realm of how I prefer to travel. I'm really excited about this compromise, which lets me join a well organized group at a reasonable price and mostly camp for the whole trip.

I also know I will enjoy the animal viewing immensely, as my best trip so far was to Tambopata National Reserve in Peru in 2014. Before that, a safari was not high on my list.
Ilikesparklers
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:27 pm

Re: African Safari: Worth it or Hype?

Post by Ilikesparklers »

RadAudit wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:46 am
sil2017 wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:15 pm Uganda - Mountain gorillas trekking well worth it. Once in a life time opportunity
For the not so athletically inclined, a comic / talk show host has a recent video out with a bit on her trek uphill through knee deep mud to see mountain gorillas. Might be worth looking at before you sign up for a trip.

YMMV
Who was this? Would love to see the video.
SrGrumpy
Posts: 1193
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: African Safari: Worth it or Hype?

Post by SrGrumpy »

RadAudit wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:46 am
sil2017 wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:15 pm Uganda - Mountain gorillas trekking well worth it. Once in a life time opportunity
For the not so athletically inclined, a comic / talk show host has a recent video out with a bit on her trek uphill through knee deep mud to see mountain gorillas. Might be worth looking at before you sign up for a trip.

YMMV
Ha! Our trek was a 30-minute walk from the park boundary in pleasant sunshine. Definitely lucky. It's the off-season right now. Bwindi is empty. Can't think of a better time to go.
EddyB
Posts: 1443
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 3:43 pm

Re: African Safari: Worth it or Hype?

Post by EddyB »

Shallowpockets wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:35 pm
SrGrumpy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:43 pm Old thread, but having just got back from seeing mountain gorillas and other animals in (amazing) Uganda, my $0.05: Consider spending beyond your means. Live it up on what may be a once in a lifetime trip. I went the cheapskate route and quickly regretted it.

Can you elaborate on this? What cheapskate route did you do? Ultimately you would need a guide and the permits to see the gorillas. Both of those things are not cheap and are required. You cannot just go into the forest on your own.
Was cheapskate route just showing up in Kigali and arranging it from there? That would take extra time incountry I am sure.
Off hand I am thinking that to see these gorillas will cost about 10k for two people. Probably more. I think the park permit entry fee is $600 per person per day alone.
How did you do it?
I’d also like to hear more about SrGrumpy’s lessons. And, Shallowpockets, can you please briefly comment on the logistics of your trip (e.g., where did you stay to facilitate your days in the park, any other aspects of the trip that worked or didn’t work, etc.?)?
User avatar
midareff
Posts: 7137
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:43 am
Location: Biscayne Bay, South Florida

Re: African Safari: Worth it or Hype?

Post by midareff »

Have taken two, three week + tours for sightseeing and Safaris. First was a trip from Cape Town through several South African Countries including quite a few Safaris and ending at Victoria Falls. Trip images are here https://www.martindareff.com/Internatio ... ca-Safari/ The second was a Safari intensive trip through Kenya and Tanzania including the Nagonogoro Crater and a hot air ballon ride over the plains. Images are here https://www.martindareff.com/Internatio ... -February/ As far as I'm concerned the only trips I've taken that could compare to this was my tours through China. Totally worth it.
SrGrumpy
Posts: 1193
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: African Safari: Worth it or Hype?

Post by SrGrumpy »

EddyB wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:23 am
Shallowpockets wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:35 pm
SrGrumpy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:43 pm Old thread, but having just got back from seeing mountain gorillas and other animals in (amazing) Uganda, my $0.05: Consider spending beyond your means. Live it up on what may be a once in a lifetime trip. I went the cheapskate route and quickly regretted it.

Can you elaborate on this? What cheapskate route did you do? Ultimately you would need a guide and the permits to see the gorillas. Both of those things are not cheap and are required. You cannot just go into the forest on your own.
Was cheapskate route just showing up in Kigali and arranging it from there? That would take extra time incountry I am sure.
Off hand I am thinking that to see these gorillas will cost about 10k for two people. Probably more. I think the park permit entry fee is $600 per person per day alone.
How did you do it?
I’d also like to hear more about SrGrumpy’s lessons.
I replied, a few posts above.
metacritic
Posts: 357
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:58 pm

Re: African Safari: Worth it or Hype?

Post by metacritic »

I think this is exactly wrong. People’s willingness to spend huge sums shows exactly the degree to which they rate it. Those of us who have done it multiple times are the best gauge of all.
zlltt wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:42 pm People usually overrate their travel, since they had spent so much time and money.



I have a unique way to judge if it's a hype or really worth it, check the revisiting ratio.
More returning customers, the more worth it.

The rule is also good for restaurant.

What do you think?
Post Reply