New refrigerator issues

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jwblue

New refrigerator issues

Post by jwblue » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:32 am

We just bought a new refrigerator and having issues with it. We contacted the manufacturer and will be having someone come by. Since repair technicians generally aren't always reliable I wanted to get some advice somewhere else and see if anyone has had a similar experience.

This is the refrigerator.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Whirlpool-3 ... WA25068772

It is running loud and often. It is also running in the middle of the night as well which our previous Whirlpool refrigerator built in 2000 did not. Not sure why it would run in the middle of the night when it has not been opened for four hours.

Is there some type of break in period with refrigerators?

tibbitts

Re: New refrigerator issues

Post by tibbitts » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:35 am

jwblue wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:32 am
We just bought a new refrigerator and having issues with it. We contacted the manufacturer and will be having someone come by. Since repair technicians generally aren't always reliable I wanted to get some advice somewhere else and see if anyone has had a similar experience.

It is running loud and often. It is also running in the middle of the night as well which our previous Whirlpool refrigerator built in 2000 did not. Not sure why it would run in the middle of the night when it has not been opened for four hours.

No there is no break-in but I thought all my refrigerators have run on an off all day and night. I don't wake up to monitor it since it's in another room and I can't hear it. Even when I'm 8ft away (often) I don't pay attention to it starting/stopping.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:38 am

They don't make them like they used to.

As to running when it hasn't been opened for 4 hours, most self-defrosting units run on a cycle. A typical cycle would include a 15-30 minute period every 16 hours or so when the compressor is switched off (even if it's not running) and small heaters are energized below the evaporator coils. These coils are usually in the freezer behind the rear panel. After the defrost cycle is finished, the compressor is put back on line and it will typically run for a short while to return the freezer to set point.

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:39 am

As refrigerators have been required to meet ever more stringent energy efficiency standards they have been equipped with smaller compressors, which run a higher percentage of the time.

TinyElvis

Post by TinyElvis » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:50 am

From the user guide 'Troubleshooting Section':

"Motor Seems to Run too Much:
Your new refrigerator has an energy-efficient motor - The refrigerator may run longer than you’re used to, because the compressor and fans operate at lower speeds that are more energy-efficient. This is normal."

"Refrigerator Seems Noisy:
The compressor in your new refrigerator regulates temperature more efficiently and uses less energy than older models. During various stages of operation, you may hear normal operating sounds that are unfamiliar.
The following noises are normal:
■ Buzzing/Clicking - Heard when the water valve opens and closes to dispense water or fill
the ice maker. If the refrigerator is connected to a water line, this is normal. If the refrigerator
is not connected to a water line, turn off the ice maker.
■ Cracking/Crashing - Heard when ice is ejected from the ice maker mold.
■ Popping - Heard when the inside walls contract/expand, especially during initial cool down.
■ Pulsating/Whirring - Heard when the fans/compressor adjust to optimize performance
during normal operation.
■ Rattling - Heard when water passes through the water line, or due to the flow of refrigerant.
Rattling may also come from items placed on top of the refrigerator.
■ Water running or gurgling - Heard when ice melts during the defrost cycle and water runs
into the drain pan.
■ Sizzling - Heard when water drips onto the heater during the defrost cycle."

jwblue

Post by jwblue » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:40 pm

TinyElvis wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:50 am
From the user guide 'Troubleshooting Section':

"Motor Seems to Run too Much:
Your new refrigerator has an energy-efficient motor - The refrigerator may run longer than you’re used to, because the compressor and fans operate at lower speeds that are more energy-efficient. This is normal."

"Refrigerator Seems Noisy:
The compressor in your new refrigerator regulates temperature more efficiently and uses less energy than older models. During various stages of operation, you may hear normal operating sounds that are unfamiliar.
The following noises are normal:
■ Buzzing/Clicking - Heard when the water valve opens and closes to dispense water or fill
the ice maker. If the refrigerator is connected to a water line, this is normal. If the refrigerator
is not connected to a water line, turn off the ice maker.
■ Cracking/Crashing - Heard when ice is ejected from the ice maker mold.
■ Popping - Heard when the inside walls contract/expand, especially during initial cool down.
■ Pulsating/Whirring - Heard when the fans/compressor adjust to optimize performance
during normal operation.
■ Rattling - Heard when water passes through the water line, or due to the flow of refrigerant.
Rattling may also come from items placed on top of the refrigerator.
■ Water running or gurgling - Heard when ice melts during the defrost cycle and water runs
into the drain pan.
■ Sizzling - Heard when water drips onto the heater during the defrost cycle."
Great information. It still is too loud though.

Has anyone noticed the newer refrigerators running louder than older ones?

2pedals

Post by 2pedals » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:03 pm

Can you explain the loud noise it often makes? i.e. loud humming or metallic rattle.

alex11

Post by alex11 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:06 pm

Our new refrigerator does the exact same thing and I see this in most of the reviews of the fridge...........it is much louder than the 10 year old fridge we replaced and it runs way more.

Zoey

Post by Zoey » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:18 pm

Check to see if it is level. Made a huge difference in how long ours ran.

badbreath

Post by badbreath » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:44 pm

I like the fridge you got. Level could make a differences. My guess is it is a 315 model which is the lowest of the Whirlpool Side by Side so they do not include any sound package in it. (yes They can control sound)
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:43 am

jwblue wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:32 am

We have a very new (European) Bosch. It runs a lot more than the old fridge. Particularly after one opens the door and closes it, it starts up and runs for a few minutes.

Apparently one of the things that caused the old fridges to run the compressor was pockets of hot air near the thermostat. Thus, the new ones periodically circulate the air around the fridge, to maintain an even temperature.

Another thing it does do, which is noisy, is auto defrost in the middle of the night-- you can hear the ice cracking. Loud bang.

GE says it is a smaller compressor, running more (which is consistent with the explanation provided above):

http://products.geappliances.com/applia ... ntId=16932
REFRIGERATOR NORMAL RUN TIME
For a freezer to maintain a desired temperature of 0 degrees F or a combination refrigerator-freezer to maintain a -5 to +8 degrees F freezer and 34 to 42 degrees fresh food temperature, the compressor will usually run much of the time.

Newer refrigerators have smaller, more powerful, high-speed compressors that generally cost less to operate than those in older refrigerators. These compressors are designed to run 80 % to 90% of the time. This makes them more energy efficient because the greatest amount of energy used when the compressor cycles on.

Factors that contributes to run time:

In extremely hot, humid areas, run time may approach 100%.
Loading the refrigerator or freezer with a large amount of food, especially warm or hot foods.
An empty or lightly loaded freezer. The freezer should be at least 3/4 full to maintain proper temperatures and reduce time.
When the door is opened, some of the heavy cold air slides out of the cabinet, pulling warm air in at the top.
Damaged or dirty door gaskets. See Refrigerator Interior and Gasket Care and Cleaning.
Blocked air vents in the freezer section.
Dirty condenser coils on model that do not have a NeverClean condenser. See Cleaning Condenser Coils on Refrigerator
Interior light not turning off when door is closed.

The below are all exceptions to the above:

All 14 and 16 cu. ft. (TBX/CTX models vs.TBF models of past) will have an average run time of between 40 and 52% as do compact models,(TA2,4,6).
Cycle defrost and single door models will run slightly less, 30-60%.
Chest & Upright freezers run 75% to 90% of the time.

jwblue

Post by jwblue » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:45 am

2pedals wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:03 pm
Can you explain the loud noise it often makes? i.e. loud humming or metallic rattle.
I will clarify.

The compressor is loud meaning I can hear it from another room. The unit is not making a lot of noises really. It is just loud meaning the sound level is high.

SeekingAPlan

Post by SeekingAPlan » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:03 pm

jwblue wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:40 pm

In 2005 I replaced a refrigerator from the 60's. I was shocked by how loud the new one was. It literally woke me up at night. There was nothing wrong with it and I got used to the noise. Now I do not notice it all.

One thing I did notice and continue to enjoy -- the dramatic drop in my electric bill.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:19 pm

Perhaps 10 years ago we replaced a still-perfect 29 year old GE refrigerator with a new energy efficient GE one and did not notice any change in noise. But we noticed that our kitchen now was cooler in summer.

Fan23

Post by Fan23 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:50 am

New refrigerators are shockingly noisy. My new fridge drove me crazy and woke me in the middle of the night for a couple months until I got used to it. I recorded all its strange noises and played them for the technician--he recognized all the sounds and said they were normal. I'm fairly used to it now, but visitors have commented on how loud it is. It's really obnoxious and if I buy another one I'll be careful to shop for a quiet one and will avoid Frigidaire. Mine is about two years old by now so it will probably be with me for a while.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:37 am

SeekingAPlan wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:03 pm
jwblue wrote:

In 2005 I replaced a refrigerator from the 60's. I was shocked by how loud the new one was. It literally woke me up at night. There was nothing wrong with it and I got used to the noise. Now I do not notice it all.

One thing I did notice and continue to enjoy -- the dramatic drop in my electric bill.
Literally known as "the Art Rosenfeld effect" after the physicist and California energy commissioner who drove it through.

An early 1980s fridge can burn 2000 kwhr pa or about $220 USD pa at average electricity rates (2-3x that in California and Connecticut, I gather).

A modern fridge (which is larger) burns around 550 kwhr pa -- one quarter as much.

A mature technology which has continued to improve. I suspect similar sorts of outcomes will take place with the Internal Combustion Engine (albeit not as dramatic).

Bogle7

There are quiet ones

Post by Bogle7 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:14 am

Our Whirlpool was noisy and it bothered me.
We solved the problem by remodeling the kitchen and buying a Sub-Zero which is very quiet.

TeamArgo

Post by TeamArgo » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:23 am

I bought an LG about two years ago, and it is much noisier than any refrigerator I have owned in my life. It vibrates the whole time it is running, and it is enough to set up "sympathetic vibrations" in many bottles and containers within the unit. It started quieter (but not quiet by any means) and then got worse over a few months.
I contacted a repair facility and was told that they "just do that". They checked the compressor supports and fiddled with them, but mostly did nothing. Afterwards, the noise dropped off some, but came back over the next few months again.
All this noise is made worse by my living in a small condo, where the fridge is in a straight line from almost anywhere but the bedrooms. Mostly, I am just ignoring it as best I can, but occasionally I grab it by the sides and shake it a bit, and often it will quiet down a little for a few hours or for a few days.
My son has a Samsung that he bought about the same time, and I have noticed his making a similar noise. It doesn't bother him too much, since his kitchen is far from the living room and bedrooms in his house.
They just don't make them like they used to.
Does it bother anyone else that non-hyphenated is spelled like that, or that abbreviation is such a long word?

ncbill

Post by ncbill » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:46 am

Valuethinker wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:37 am
SeekingAPlan wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:03 pm
jwblue wrote:

Literally known as "the Art Rosenfeld effect" after the physicist and California energy commissioner who drove it through.

An early 1980s fridge can burn 2000 kwhr pa or about $220 USD pa at average electricity rates (2-3x that in California and Connecticut, I gather).

A modern fridge (which is larger) burns around 550 kwhr pa -- one quarter as much.

A mature technology which has continued to improve. I suspect similar sorts of outcomes will take place with the Internal Combustion Engine (albeit not as dramatic).
"Modern" being anything made in the last 20 years (my late-1990s Kenmore is one of the first model years with the extra insulation)

Using the calculator over at energystar.gov: https://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?fu ... calculator

I'd save $4-$5/month in electricity by replacing it, but it would cost around $1200 for an equivalent.

So there's no point in replacing it until it breaks.

Especially since it's not nearly as noisy as the fridges described on this thread. :)