Houston Safety

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
BolderBoy

Houston Safety

Post by BolderBoy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:52 am

Never been to Houston before. Will be staying near S Main Street & McNee Road.

Is it a safe area? I'd just as soon leave my bazooka at home.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

Dave55

Re: Houston Safety

Post by Dave55 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:04 am

I lived a few blocks from there many years ago. Never was a problem then, not sure how it is now though.

Dave

Topic Author
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:09 am

Dave55 wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:04 am
I lived a few blocks from there many years ago. Never was a problem then, not sure how it is now though.
... and now you live in Colorado :D
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:11 am

delete
Last edited by Dave55 on Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

samsdad

Post by samsdad » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:21 am

Colorado is horribly cold in the winter, which comes every year for some reason. The air is very thin. I’ve lived here since 1999 and the coldness and thinness of the air has only gotten worse. In short, don’t move here.

Move to California instead. Much warmer and much thicker air (so thick you can actually see it)!

[End Public Service Announcement]

Topic Author
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:28 am

samsdad wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:21 am
Colorado is horribly cold in the winter, which comes every year for some reason. The air is very thin. I’ve lived here since 1999 and the coldness and thinness of the air has only gotten worse. In short, don’t move here.

Move to California instead. Much warmer and much thicker air (so thick you can actually see it)!

Couldn't agree more! :wink:

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:34 am

BolderBoy wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:52 am

It's the NRG Stadium. That's pretty safe during games.

If a bazooka had ever been used in Houston (or anywhere else in the US), then that would've made international news.
Last edited by livesoft on Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:36 am

BolderBoy wrote:

Generally quite safe area. Most of the time people drive around but I've walked to the Fiesta near there many times without any problems during the day. There are sometimes people asking for money, and I am aware of isolated incidents of violent crime decades ago, but otherwise it is quite safe.

ChinchillaWhiplash

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:57 am

samsdad wrote:

I concur as well :mrgreen:

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:59 pm

BolderBoy wrote:

Definitely leave the bazooka at home. Everyone in Texas carries a revolver.

WildBill

Post by WildBill » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:19 pm

Howdy

Texans are overwhelmingly warm, friendly and polite people, which is a very good thing as over a million of them have licenses to carry concealed firearms. This is a sizable percentage of the adult population.

Leave the bazooka at home and behave yourself. 8-)

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid

NightFall

Post by NightFall » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:29 pm

You'll be fine at least during the day. At night, don't walk alone. Even if you do, you will likely be okay. I lived around that area for years. Someone I knew was robbed at night usually at gun point about once a year. Usually they were by themselves and not paying attention to their surroundings. I'm not trying to scare you, but you shouldn't think it's Disney world or something. The area around the Astro dome was known at the time to be somewhat shady. Now it's been a while, so it's possible things have changed.

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:10 pm

samsdad wrote:

While you are in TX, please be very sure to tell each Texan that you meet about our awful snow and cold. They need to be well informed of these life threatening conditions prior to considering a move to CO. Please help them out by letting them know that consideration of such a move requires millions of dollars of investment in winter clothing and training for driving in 4 feet of snow 250+ days per year. Therefore CO is not likely an affordable location for their consideration. :D

Frobie

Post by Frobie » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:46 pm

It’s fine. Just use common sense.