Chipmunk problem

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
moehoward

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by moehoward » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:23 pm

I started using havahart last month, 13 chipmunks so far. I use sunflower seeds and play the xmas chipmunk song softly in the background. You would think they would tire of that song...

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:43 pm

Housedoc wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:10 pm
Farnum is my new friend. I use a putty knife to cut the blocks into 1/4's. End of block, pushing down works best.
Blocks disappear and so does the problem. I treat every 3 days. Much better than chipper dipper.
Chipper dipper is a better solution than what you're doing at least there will be no accidental kills of non-problem pests.

Poison's are irresponsible methods of kills. . In fact, using them will likely kill other animals in the food chain and even a beloved pet.

Q. Will my pets be harmed if they eat mouse or rat poison?

A. Direct consumption of bromethalin could be harmful to your pet. Danger to your pet depends on the weight of
your animal and the amount of bait ingested. We recommend calling the poison control hotline at 800-234-2269 immediately if ingestion occurs. Don't apply bait where children, pets or other non-target animals may consume it.

Q. What should I do if my pet ingests mouse or rat bait?

A. Immediately call the poison control hotline at 800-234-2269.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:47 pm

ImaBeginner wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:55 am
Rat poison in the holes. The green cube stuff. One cube per hole.
Controls problem for a few weeks.

I have a patio that is being tunneled under, and fear it will eventually collapse. So I am not gentle with the little beasts.
I started with the traps, which made everyone feel good, but just weren’t all that effective.
Initially the bucket idea was good, but it was distressing to certain people.
Then I moved on to a pellet gun and baiting them with sunflower seeds on peanut butter, which made me feel minimally evil, but was less distressing as I could choose times of day when others were not around.
Finally, I landed on the rat poison shoved deep in the holes with a stick. I have no pets though, so that may be important.
I guess you don't mind killing birds of prey, fox, or other carnivores. What do you think happens when a animal eats a poisoned animal.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:48 pm

dollarsaver wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:48 pm
cheese_breath wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:43 pm
dollarsaver wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:15 pm
ImaBeginner wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:55 am
Rat poison in the holes. The green cube stuff. One cube per hole.
Controls problem for a few weeks.

I have a patio that is being tunneled under, and fear it will eventually collapse. So I am not gentle with the little beasts.
I started with the traps, which made everyone feel good, but just weren’t all that effective.

Initially the bucket idea was good, but it was distressing to certain people.
Then I moved on to a pellet gun and baiting them with sunflower seeds on peanut butter, which made me feel minimally evil, but was less distressing as I could choose times of day when others were not around.
Finally, I landed on the rat poison shoved deep in the holes with a stick. I have no pets though, so that may be important.
I bought a rat poison block that I sawed into pieces to place in the holes. I was unable to find a nice bag of poison blocks. Do you have a product recommendation for me. Would be very appreciated. I'm catching more ground squirrels than chipmunks in the havahart trap. Just got sod installed and want to keep the holes away.
Wouldn't hundreds of chipmunks decomposing in their holes present an odor problem?

Not at all. We have a 3 acre wooded lot with no indoor problem for odor. I found a product, Farnum "Just One Bite" bait blocks that are basically anticoagulants. People seem to string 8-10 of them around a tree so the animal does not carry it away. Very good results have been reported.
How about the by product kills? Birds, Fox, etc?

dollarsaver

Post by dollarsaver » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:00 pm

munemaker wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:38 pm
munemaker wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:21 pm
munemaker wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:47 pm

We have established a CRP (Chippee Relocation Program), modeled after the popular "Catch and Release" program.
Today we had another happily relocated chimpee. Maybe they will start an expat community at their new site.

I think we are on to something.
UPDATE: Posting this so it can help others.

I found mice were taking the bait; they are so small and light that they sometimes take the bait without triggering the trap. When it is triggered, these mice are so small they can squeeze between the bars to escape. I set a mousetrap with peanut butter bait and caught 4 mice quickly. I think they are all gone.

Now the Havahart trap is working as it should. I am using sunflower seeds for bait. Whenever the door is closed, there is now a chipmunk inside (except one time a small bird that was released without being relocated).

There is no way the chipmunks can get through the bars of the trap. Someone said maybe they can beat the trap door falling. They are pretty quick, but I think their natural instinct would be to (attempt to) run away from the noise of the door, not toward it. I see no evidence they are beating the falling door.

Still catching chippees, but I don't see them ripping around the yard and trees like they used to be. I think we are making a difference.

My advice to Havahart trap owners: If you are losing bait or the door is down but no chipee inside, set some mouse traps with peanut butter.

Since I am catching so many chippees with the Havahart trap, I removed the rat traps and am not putting out any more poison, and never did follow through on my threat to use the chipper dipper.

When I release the chippees (about 3 miles away), they seem to be delighted with their new environment. They can catch up with their relocated friends.
Thanks so much for the update. Actually, I do find the bait gone at times with no catch. A few days ago I set up a mouse trap under a cardboard box next to the Havahart. I lift it in the morning and there has been a mouse catch every morning for the past 3 days. I find that there is a false positive when it rains as the trigger trips. OK, I can deal with that. The chippies are active in the morning and done by 3 pm with their day's activities. I'm currently trying Amdro gopher gassers. Two duds so far. I think a better brand is Giant Destroyer with fewer duds. I'll keep all posted. Thanks

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:29 pm

munemaker wrote: When I release the chippees (about 3 miles away), they seem to be delighted with their new environment. They can catch up with their relocated friends.
A heartwarming story - see, we can all get along :D

RCL

Post by RCL » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:41 pm

wfrobinette wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:43 pm
Chipper dipper is a better solution than what you're doing at least there will be no accidental kills of non-problem pests.
[/quote]

Hmm, I found this amusing, as I don't think there is such a thing as non-problem pests. A pest is a pest.
You are correct about the possibilities of harming other animals that may either consume the poison, or consume a pest that has been poisoned; But that is not what this thread is about.
It Is Best To Consult Others Before Taking Unusual Actions

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:54 pm

I consider munks a pest, would you let rats run freely and multiple quickly? As I posted earlier, I broke my foot thanks to these pests. Had surgery, developed DVTs ,filled both lungs half full of clotting crap. Passed out at home twice before going to doc, 4 days in ICU, 6 months on Warfarin. About 10K of bills. SCREW THE MONKS.

P.S. sorry for anyone offended by this post. Take some popcorn to your local park and feed nature. This will help you cope.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:04 pm

In the good old times I could buy sulfur bombs, lit them and pushed them into their holes. It worked every times. I believe my roses liked the added sulfur, I think it increased acidity in the soil, plus chipmunks became fertilizer.

dollarsaver

Post by dollarsaver » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:24 pm

RCL wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:41 pm
wfrobinette wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:43 pm
Hmm, I found this amusing, as I don't think there is such a thing as non-problem pests. A pest is a pest.
You are correct about the possibilities of harming other animals that may either consume the poison, or consume a pest that has been poisoned; But that is not what this thread is about.
[/quote] Chipper dipper is loved by ground squirrels. Ruins the whole process. Not possible here. Nothing is ever left for the chipmunks

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:36 am

Miriam2 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:29 pm
munemaker wrote: When I release the chippees (about 3 miles away), they seem to be delighted with their new environment. They can catch up with their relocated friends.
A heartwarming story - see, we can all get along :D
A chippie expat community. Who wouldda thought.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

dollarsaver

Post by dollarsaver » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:44 am

likegarden wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:04 pm
In the good old times I could buy sulfur bombs, lit them and pushed them into their holes. It worked every times. I believe my roses liked the added sulfur, I think it increased acidity in the soil, plus chipmunks became fertilizer.
I bought a pack of 6 Gopher Gassers. Two were duds. I've read that Giant Destroyer brand is better. Comes in a pack of 4. Not supposed to have duds and are longer lasting as the gas is released. We'll see how it goes.

Jazzysoon

Post by Jazzysoon » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:31 pm

Has anyone tried Critter Ridder? http://www.havahart.com/critter-ridder- ... -repellent
My chipmunks have decided my house is a B&B for the winter, I found hole near front door where coming in, trying to block it with rocks I had around, and all kinds of natural remedies (mixture of garlic/hot sauce/vinegar), mothballs, & rat poison (not so natural ;-) ) didn't work. Heading to Fleet Farm, Menards to get traps and perhaps the Havahart product. Perhaps products for a swimming pool-- hope they are ok with Dollar Tree Peanut Butter.

Geneyus

Post by Geneyus » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:02 pm

Jazzysoon wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:31 pm
Has anyone tried Critter Ridder? http://www.havahart.com/critter-ridder- ... -repellent
My chipmunks have decided my house is a B&B for the winter, I found hole near front door where coming in, trying to block it with rocks I had around, and all kinds of natural remedies (mixture of garlic/hot sauce/vinegar), mothballs, & rat poison (not so natural ;-) ) didn't work. Heading to Fleet Farm, Menards to get traps and perhaps the Havahart product. Perhaps products for a swimming pool-- hope they are ok with Dollar Tree Peanut Butter.
This isn't a good option for people with cats or dogs.

I have had decent success with the spring-loaded Havahart traps with one door. The squirrels often escape the small trap I have with two doors (not spring-loaded), maybe because their long bushy tail is blocking it from closing.

My cousin leans a 3" pvc pipe against a tree and fills the bottom with water. Then he puts peanut butter about 6-12" into the pipe. The squirrels and chipmunks jump into the pipe and drown. Since the bottom is dark, they can't see the water. They think they'll jump back out. I'm thinking about trying this.

TheAccountant

Post by TheAccountant » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:24 pm

Set traps and then shoot them in the face with an air rifle. Dispose of carcass.

Check with your state DEC on laws and procedures regarding nuisance animals.

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:15 pm

TheAccountant wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:24 pm
Set traps and then shoot them in the face with an air rifle. Dispose of carcass.

Check with your state DEC on laws and procedures regarding nuisance animals.
I think I hear PETA calling Pam Anderson for a protest rally. I do vote like the Accountant though.

Jazzysoon

Post by Jazzysoon » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:42 pm

Critter Ridder isn't toxic... Critter Ridder® is a patented blend of ingredients derived from three different hot peppers that immediately irritates an animal's senses of smell and taste upon encounter.
Probably not much different than the garlic/hot sauce/vinegar internet recipe I tried to no avail.

I live in a rural area where lots are a couple of acres, it's legal for me to shoot a gun anytime I want given the distance of my only neighbor. BUT I don't like guns and never have owned one. Although I was almost tempted when the 670lb black bear was wandering our neighborhood for years (someone else took care of him)
Shooting chipmunks and thirteen-lined ground squirrels with a small caliber rifle, pellet gun or shotgun is legal in Wisconsin.

They are in my house walls so I will be taking measures to eliminate them with Dollar Tree PB and some traps I picked up.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:44 pm

I relocated about a dozen earlier in the summer. They were gone, but now more are back. Time to get the Chippee Relocation Program (CRP) i.e. "catch & release" back in gear.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:15 pm

munemaker wrote: I relocated about a dozen earlier in the summer. They were gone, but now more are back. Time to get the Chippee Relocation Program (CRP) i.e. "catch & release" back in gear.
Make sure to dye them so if they return, you know who the repeat offenders are :wink:

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:27 am

Miriam2 wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:15 pm
munemaker wrote: I relocated about a dozen earlier in the summer. They were gone, but now more are back. Time to get the Chippee Relocation Program (CRP) i.e. "catch & release" back in gear.
Make sure to dye them so if they return, you know who the repeat offenders are :wink:
I know a guy who told me he sprayed their tails with blue paint.