Chipmunk problem

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
dollarsaver
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:17 pm

Chipmunk problem

Post by dollarsaver » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:52 pm

Need advice for chipmunk control for my lawn. I have 3 or 4 holes in the lawn. These are definitely caused by chipmunks. I have taken the following measure thus far and I'm looking for any additional advice from the community: Havahart small animal trap baited with peanut butter and sunflower seeds. I caught and relocated 3 thus far. I have observed extreme caution by the chipmunks and sometimes won't enter the trap.

Any other purchases I should make? I'm willing to do anything to get rid of this nuisance. Thanks in advance

User avatar
cheese_breath
Posts: 8026
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by cheese_breath » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:56 pm

The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 3526
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by munemaker » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:09 pm

I just bought the Havahart trap a few days ago. So far the chipmunks have eaten the peanut butter and escaped four times, even though the trap was set off. Not sure how this is happening. My wife is keeping score and so far CHIPMUNKS - 4, MUNEMAKER - 0. I am about to lose my heart and go for the "chipper dipper," aka chipmunk swimming pool.

Dottie57
Posts: 4662
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:12 pm

munemaker wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:09 pm
I just bought the Havahart trap a few days ago. So far the chipmunks have eaten the peanut butter and escaped four times, even though the trap was set off. Not sure how this is happening. My wife is keeping score and so far CHIPMUNKS - 4, MUNEMAKER - 0. I am about to lose my heart and go for the "chipper dipper," aka chipmunk swimming pool.
Noooooo! Just feed them peanuts and tell them they are nice little monks!

User avatar
cheese_breath
Posts: 8026
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by cheese_breath » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:24 pm

munemaker wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:09 pm
I just bought the Havahart trap a few days ago. So far the chipmunks have eaten the peanut butter and escaped four times, even though the trap was set off. Not sure how this is happening. My wife is keeping score and so far CHIPMUNKS - 4, MUNEMAKER - 0. I am about to lose my heart and go for the "chipper dipper," aka chipmunk swimming pool.
The squirrels are probably letting them out and splitting the take with them.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

User avatar
praxis
Posts: 468
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:51 pm

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by praxis » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:10 pm

We have 12 years experience. These fellas are so cute when they show up. But as they gorge on birdseed and our flower garden, they procreate and become a yard full of striped rats. They are pests in our yard. They are always into mischief like stripping wires and chewing up things to make nests. We are often discussing control with neighbors. Some try methods to reduce their numbers. Others feed them peanuts and seed. For us, we try to strike a happy medium and keep the population under control. I'm a conservationist in most things, but these guys get my goat. With all due respect to our squeamish readers, I decline to describe my methods. But lately it's been us or them.

LeonTugworthy
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:33 pm

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by LeonTugworthy » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:40 pm

Check out this trap:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013FLER72/re ... jBb1RMTRDY

We've been using two of these in our yard for the past week. We get 4-6 chipmunks a day, and have never had a trap robbed by the little guys.

MrPotatoHead
Posts: 429
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:41 pm

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by MrPotatoHead » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:06 am

Try mixing peanut butter with plaster of paris and making them delicious little homemade peanut snacks.

I was told this would not work as advertised but I got rid of passel of ground squirrels and tree squirrels and this is what I attribute it to.

dollarsaver
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:17 pm

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by dollarsaver » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:51 am

MrPotatoHead wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:06 am
Try mixing peanut butter with plaster of paris and making them delicious little homemade peanut snacks.

I was told this would not work as advertised but I got rid of passel of ground squirrels and tree squirrels and this is what I attribute it to.
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 3526
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by munemaker » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:26 am

MrPotatoHead wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:06 am
Try mixing peanut butter with plaster of paris and making them delicious little homemade peanut snacks.

I was told this would not work as advertised but I got rid of passel of ground squirrels and tree squirrels and this is what I attribute it to.
Thanks. Sounds like a recipe for constipation. I'll give it a try.

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 3526
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by munemaker » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:33 am

cheese_breath wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:24 pm
munemaker wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:09 pm
I just bought the Havahart trap a few days ago. So far the chipmunks have eaten the peanut butter and escaped four times, even though the trap was set off. Not sure how this is happening. My wife is keeping score and so far CHIPMUNKS - 4, MUNEMAKER - 0. I am about to lose my heart and go for the "chipper dipper," aka chipmunk swimming pool.
The squirrels are probably letting them out and splitting the take with them.
If I find the squirrels are complicit in this, I am going after them too.

Yooper16
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:44 am

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by Yooper16 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:41 am

praxis wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:10 pm
We have 12 years experience. These fellas are so cute when they show up. But as they gorge on birdseed and our flower garden, they procreate and become a yard full of striped rats. They are pests in our yard. They are always into mischief like stripping wires and chewing up things to make nests. We are often discussing control with neighbors. Some try methods to reduce their numbers. Others feed them peanuts and seed. For us, we try to strike a happy medium and keep the population under control. I'm a conservationist in most things, but these guys get my goat. With all due respect to our squeamish readers, I decline to describe my methods. But lately it's been us or them.
Going to see if I can find the article and although the article did refer to rats-- same idea.

Probably 15 years ago by now, the "wealthy" areas of Detroit(Bloomfield Hill, The Pointes etc) were having a rat problem-- not what you normally think of in very affluent areas. Michigan State University, a land grant school and highly regarded in outdoorsy type stuff, was called in to investigate.

One fix was to dis courage people from feeding the birds. squirrels etc. A significant high percentage of houses in the studied areas were doing so, thereby creating a ready and available food source, with little or no competition for it to affect survival rates.

User avatar
Kenkat
Posts: 4365
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by Kenkat » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:59 am

munemaker wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:09 pm
I just bought the Havahart trap a few days ago. So far the chipmunks have eaten the peanut butter and escaped four times, even though the trap was set off. Not sure how this is happening. My wife is keeping score and so far CHIPMUNKS - 4, MUNEMAKER - 0. I am about to lose my heart and go for the "chipper dipper," aka chipmunk swimming pool.
I wonder if the Havahart trap “bars” are too open / too big? You’d be amazed at how small of an opening rodents can squeeze through.

User avatar
praxis
Posts: 468
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:51 pm

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by praxis » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:14 am

Yooper16 wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:41 am
praxis wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:10 pm
We have 12 years experience. These fellas are so cute when they show up. But as they gorge on birdseed and our flower garden, they procreate and become a yard full of striped rats. They are pests in our yard. They are always into mischief like stripping wires and chewing up things to make nests. We are often discussing control with neighbors. Some try methods to reduce their numbers. Others feed them peanuts and seed. For us, we try to strike a happy medium and keep the population under control. I'm a conservationist in most things, but these guys get my goat. With all due respect to our squeamish readers, I decline to describe my methods. But lately it's been us or them.
Going to see if I can find the article and although the article did refer to rats-- same idea.

Probably 15 years ago by now, the "wealthy" areas of Detroit(Bloomfield Hill, The Pointes etc) were having a rat problem-- not what you normally think of in very affluent areas. Michigan State University, a land grant school and highly regarded in outdoorsy type stuff, was called in to investigate.

One fix was to dis courage people from feeding the birds. squirrels etc. A significant high percentage of houses in the studied areas were doing so, thereby creating a ready and available food source, with little or no competition for it to affect survival rates.
I'm certain birdseed is counterproductive for us. If the feeders are accessible, they are the main food source they eat. We can watch the chipmunk numbers grow in two weeks with unlimited food. Faced with losing most of our bird visitors, instead of not feeding birds, we have only used feed trays suspended from tree limbs. So far, it's worked. Still have chipmunks, but they're not as fat.

User avatar
lthenderson
Posts: 3518
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by lthenderson » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:16 pm

This took care of my chipmunk problem. I just posted myself with it in a lawn chair 20 yards away until they presented themselves.

https://www.amazon.com/Crosman-P1377-Am ... B00TEACB4U

2comma
Posts: 1241
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by 2comma » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:17 pm

Someone told me to hang the bird feeders on a pole and grease the pole with vaseline. Not only did it work, it's quite entertaining to watch!

I used to think squirrels/chipmunks were smart but I think they are just very, very persistent.
If I am stupid I will pay.

dollarsaver
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:17 pm

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by dollarsaver » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:02 pm

munemaker wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:09 pm
I just bought the Havahart trap a few days ago. So far the chipmunks have eaten the peanut butter and escaped four times, even though the trap was set off. Not sure how this is happening. My wife is keeping score and so far CHIPMUNKS - 4, MUNEMAKER - 0. I am about to lose my heart and go for the "chipper dipper," aka chipmunk swimming pool.
I set up the 5 gallon bucket, sunflower seeds, ramp. Set it on a nice level spot. Problem is that the ground squirrels knock off the ramp and eat the seeds. Now what?

MrPotatoHead
Posts: 429
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:41 pm

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by MrPotatoHead » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:02 pm

Kenkat wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:59 am
munemaker wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:09 pm
I just bought the Havahart trap a few days ago. So far the chipmunks have eaten the peanut butter and escaped four times, even though the trap was set off. Not sure how this is happening. My wife is keeping score and so far CHIPMUNKS - 4, MUNEMAKER - 0. I am about to lose my heart and go for the "chipper dipper," aka chipmunk swimming pool.
I wonder if the Havahart trap “bars” are too open / too big? You’d be amazed at how small of an opening rodents can squeeze through.
No, they are actually fast enough to just barely beat the trap...I have seen it many times with ground squirrels. I put peanut butter crackers on the trigger pan. They are not stupid critters...now normal squirrels and raccoons I can trap all day long (different size traps)

MrPotatoHead
Posts: 429
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:41 pm

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by MrPotatoHead » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:26 pm

dollarsaver wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:02 pm
munemaker wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:09 pm
I just bought the Havahart trap a few days ago. So far the chipmunks have eaten the peanut butter and escaped four times, even though the trap was set off. Not sure how this is happening. My wife is keeping score and so far CHIPMUNKS - 4, MUNEMAKER - 0. I am about to lose my heart and go for the "chipper dipper," aka chipmunk swimming pool.
I set up the 5 gallon bucket, sunflower seeds, ramp. Set it on a nice level spot. Problem is that the ground squirrels knock off the ramp and eat the seeds. Now what?
Uh...okay firmly attached the ramp to the bucket...next step the bucket need to have two small holes near the top, on eon each side of the bucket...then you put a thin rod through one of the whole and then thread an empty beer or soda can on it lengthwise so it spins freely and then push the end of th erod through the other side:

: :
:- - - - - - - - XXXXXXX- - - - - - - - - :
: :
: :

Where : are the sides of the bucket
- - is the thin rod (used a straightened piece of coat hanger)
X represents the aluminum can

all you do now is put a few inches of water in the bottom of the bucket, attach your ramp so it leads the critter up to the thin rod and bait the can(I use a strip of newpaper taped around the center of the can and a gob of nutty peanut butter).

The critter walks on the rod out to the can, step onto the can and pitches sideways into the bucket were is gets to swim for a bit.

Problem solved.

User avatar
Frugal Al
Posts: 1697
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 10:09 am

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by Frugal Al » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:16 am

MrPotatoHead wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:02 pm
No, they are actually fast enough to just barely beat the trap...I have seen it many times with ground squirrels. I put peanut butter crackers on the trigger pan. They are not stupid critters...now normal squirrels and raccoons I can trap all day long (different size traps)
While I agree 'munks are fast, I don't think they're often too fast for most traps. I'm sure it happens, but rarely.

In my case, I have a a Havahart trap designed for 'munks and other small critters--trap doors on both ends. I successfully caught the garage intruder and decided to take it to a local county park facility located about 4 miles away. As I take the trap out of the back of my SUV and start to walk to a wooded area, the park "Gestapo" pulled up on golf carts and proceeded to tell me I wasn't allowed to release a 'munk there. After a couple minutes of lively discussion, with my granddaughter in tow, I turned to return to the vehicle and I saw the rodent leap to the ground from the trap and disappear into the woods, which was the eventual plan all along. Now the "Gestapo" are none to pleased and my granddaughter thinks we're going to be arrested. They realized the release wasn't purposeful and the trap was amazingly intact.

These critters are persistent and powerful for their size. Sadly, another 'munk I caught in the Havahart somehow killed itself trying to get out, which could have only been a few hours--blood from trying to push its head through the bars as well as a few teeth were found. So, on a cautionary note, if you use a Havahart or similar trap, I'd put it in another cargo container of some sort to transport your quarry in your vehicle, just in case it is successful in its escape, like the first 'munk was.

ImaBeginner
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:21 pm

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by ImaBeginner » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:55 am

Rat poison in the holes. The green cube stuff. One cube per hole.
Controls problem for a few weeks.

I have a patio that is being tunneled under, and fear it will eventually collapse. So I am not gentle with the little beasts.
I started with the traps, which made everyone feel good, but just weren’t all that effective.
Initially the bucket idea was good, but it was distressing to certain people.
Then I moved on to a pellet gun and baiting them with sunflower seeds on peanut butter, which made me feel minimally evil, but was less distressing as I could choose times of day when others were not around.
Finally, I landed on the rat poison shoved deep in the holes with a stick. I have no pets though, so that may be important.

JeffAL
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by JeffAL » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:48 am

In many municipalities it is illegal to “relocate” pests. I use the large rat snap traps purchased from Home Depot and bait with pecans. Works great.

User avatar
cheese_breath
Posts: 8026
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by cheese_breath » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:40 am

JeffAL wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:48 am
In many municipalities it is illegal to “relocate” pests....
My BIL has been talking about moving for years. Now I know why it hasn't happened.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

TX_Drew
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed May 16, 2018 11:37 am

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by TX_Drew » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:42 am

BB Gun? I know they are cute, but this could be an effective solution.

CurlyDave
Posts: 739
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:37 am

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by CurlyDave » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:32 am

One of these looks like a lot of fun to use: https://www.rodenator.com.

Now it may be that if you have neighbors too close they will not like it.

Housedoc
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu May 24, 2018 4:25 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by Housedoc » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:47 am

Put a screw in top of ramp underside and it acts as a hook to keep it from slipping off. 130 swimmers caught a few years back. Using special food from HD pest dept these days. Poison is such a harsh word for todays time! I broke my foot a few years back in a chippie hole so its been war ever since!

User avatar
cheese_breath
Posts: 8026
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by cheese_breath » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:05 pm

Housedoc wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:47 am
Put a screw in top of ramp underside and it acts as a hook to keep it from slipping off. 130 swimmers caught a few years back. Using special food from HD pest dept these days. Poison is such a harsh word for todays time! I broke my foot a few years back in a chippie hole so its been war ever since!
So that's why I never hear Alvin, Simon and Theodore at Christmas anymore.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

dollarsaver
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:17 pm

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by dollarsaver » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:15 pm

ImaBeginner wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:55 am
Rat poison in the holes. The green cube stuff. One cube per hole.
Controls problem for a few weeks.

I have a patio that is being tunneled under, and fear it will eventually collapse. So I am not gentle with the little beasts.
I started with the traps, which made everyone feel good, but just weren’t all that effective.
Initially the bucket idea was good, but it was distressing to certain people.
Then I moved on to a pellet gun and baiting them with sunflower seeds on peanut butter, which made me feel minimally evil, but was less distressing as I could choose times of day when others were not around.
Finally, I landed on the rat poison shoved deep in the holes with a stick. I have no pets though, so that may be important.
I bought a rat poison block that I sawed into pieces to place in the holes. I was unable to find a nice bag of poison blocks. Do you have a product recommendation for me. Would be very appreciated. I'm catching more ground squirrels than chipmunks in the havahart trap. Just got sod installed and want to keep the holes away.

User avatar
cheese_breath
Posts: 8026
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by cheese_breath » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:43 pm

dollarsaver wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:15 pm
ImaBeginner wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:55 am
Rat poison in the holes. The green cube stuff. One cube per hole.
Controls problem for a few weeks.

I have a patio that is being tunneled under, and fear it will eventually collapse. So I am not gentle with the little beasts.
I started with the traps, which made everyone feel good, but just weren’t all that effective.
Initially the bucket idea was good, but it was distressing to certain people.
Then I moved on to a pellet gun and baiting them with sunflower seeds on peanut butter, which made me feel minimally evil, but was less distressing as I could choose times of day when others were not around.
Finally, I landed on the rat poison shoved deep in the holes with a stick. I have no pets though, so that may be important.
I bought a rat poison block that I sawed into pieces to place in the holes. I was unable to find a nice bag of poison blocks. Do you have a product recommendation for me. Would be very appreciated. I'm catching more ground squirrels than chipmunks in the havahart trap. Just got sod installed and want to keep the holes away.
Wouldn't hundreds of chipmunks decomposing in their holes present an odor problem?
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

dollarsaver
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:17 pm

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by dollarsaver » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:48 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:43 pm
dollarsaver wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:15 pm
ImaBeginner wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:55 am
Rat poison in the holes. The green cube stuff. One cube per hole.
Controls problem for a few weeks.

I have a patio that is being tunneled under, and fear it will eventually collapse. So I am not gentle with the little beasts.
I started with the traps, which made everyone feel good, but just weren’t all that effective.


Initially the bucket idea was good, but it was distressing to certain people.
Then I moved on to a pellet gun and baiting them with sunflower seeds on peanut butter, which made me feel minimally evil, but was less distressing as I could choose times of day when others were not around.
Finally, I landed on the rat poison shoved deep in the holes with a stick. I have no pets though, so that may be important.
I bought a rat poison block that I sawed into pieces to place in the holes. I was unable to find a nice bag of poison blocks. Do you have a product recommendation for me. Would be very appreciated. I'm catching more ground squirrels than chipmunks in the havahart trap. Just got sod installed and want to keep the holes away.
Wouldn't hundreds of chipmunks decomposing in their holes present an odor problem?


Not at all. We have a 3 acre wooded lot with no indoor problem for odor. I found a product, Farnum "Just One Bite" bait blocks that are basically anticoagulants. People seem to string 8-10 of them around a tree so the animal does not carry it away. Very good results have been reported.

Housedoc
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu May 24, 2018 4:25 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by Housedoc » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:27 pm

Farnum, avail at Walmart and Amazon online. Whoooooo

Miriam2
Posts: 2329
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by Miriam2 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:43 pm

ImaBeginner wrote: Rat poison in the holes. The green cube stuff. One cube per hole.
Controls problem for a few weeks.

I have a patio that is being tunneled under, and fear it will eventually collapse. So I am not gentle with the little beasts.
I started with the traps, which made everyone feel good, but just weren’t all that effective.
dollarsaver wrote: I found a product, Farnum "Just One Bite" bait blocks that are basically anticoagulants. People seem to string 8-10 of them around a tree so the animal does not carry it away. Very good results have been reported.
Housedoc wrote: Farnum, avail at Walmart and Amazon online. Whoooooo
I'm going out to buy me some - South Florida here - same problem with large iguanas digging under patios and walkways, at the base of palm trees, anywhere to lay their eggs and create even more, hundreds more, dang ignuanas to destroy property, sand dunes, and eat our beautiful plants down to stubs :annoyed

I'm gonna hide it in their favorite food - a large banana chunk :D

ColoRetiredGirl
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:40 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by ColoRetiredGirl » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:08 pm

praxis wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:10 pm
We have 12 years experience. These fellas are so cute when they show up. But as they gorge on birdseed and our flower garden, they procreate and become a yard full of striped rats. They are pests in our yard. They are always into mischief like stripping wires and chewing up things to make nests. We are often discussing control with neighbors. Some try methods to reduce their numbers. Others feed them peanuts and seed. For us, we try to strike a happy medium and keep the population under control. I'm a conservationist in most things, but these guys get my goat. With all due respect to our squeamish readers, I decline to describe my methods. But lately it's been us or them.
:? Can’t we all just get along together? They were probably in your neighborhood before you moved in. And, before your ask…I have squirrels which I happily feed along with the ducks, geese, rabbits, and a variety of birds. I consider this my local ‘welfare’ contribution.

User avatar
cheese_breath
Posts: 8026
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by cheese_breath » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:16 pm

ColoRetiredGirl wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:08 pm
praxis wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:10 pm
We have 12 years experience. These fellas are so cute when they show up. But as they gorge on birdseed and our flower garden, they procreate and become a yard full of striped rats. They are pests in our yard. They are always into mischief like stripping wires and chewing up things to make nests. We are often discussing control with neighbors. Some try methods to reduce their numbers. Others feed them peanuts and seed. For us, we try to strike a happy medium and keep the population under control. I'm a conservationist in most things, but these guys get my goat. With all due respect to our squeamish readers, I decline to describe my methods. But lately it's been us or them.
:? Can’t we all just get along together? They were probably in your neighborhood before you moved in. And, before your ask…I have squirrels which I happily feed along with the ducks, geese, rabbits, and a variety of birds. I consider this my local ‘welfare’ contribution.
Kumbaya little critters
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

ImaBeginner
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:21 pm

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by ImaBeginner » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:20 pm

dollarsaver wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:15 pm
ImaBeginner wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:55 am
Rat poison in the holes. The green cube stuff. One cube per hole.
Controls problem for a few weeks.

I have a patio that is being tunneled under, and fear it will eventually collapse. So I am not gentle with the little beasts.
I started with the traps, which made everyone feel good, but just weren’t all that effective.
Initially the bucket idea was good, but it was distressing to certain people.
Then I moved on to a pellet gun and baiting them with sunflower seeds on peanut butter, which made me feel minimally evil, but was less distressing as I could choose times of day when others were not around.
Finally, I landed on the rat poison shoved deep in the holes with a stick. I have no pets though, so that may be important.
I bought a rat poison block that I sawed into pieces to place in the holes. I was unable to find a nice bag of poison blocks. Do you have a product recommendation for me. Would be very appreciated. I'm catching more ground squirrels than chipmunks in the havahart trap. Just got sod installed and want to keep the holes away.
Last time I used TomCat mouse killer, has a little black container in the bag to keep pets and children safe, for your purposes, throw that out. I put it in my garage for other uses, and had a bunch left over, which was how I started “feeding” the chipmunks.

RickBoglehead
Posts: 992
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:54 am

ColoRetiredGirl wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:08 pm

:? Can’t we all just get along together? They were probably in your neighborhood before you moved in. And, before your ask…I have squirrels which I happily feed along with the ducks, geese, rabbits, and a variety of birds. I consider this my local ‘welfare’ contribution.
Very naive view. Deer were there before us, controlled by natural predators and hunters. Houses go in, predators leave, hunting not allowed. Deer population explodes, destroying landscaping, knocking down fences, causing car accidents, carrying ticks with Lyme disease.

We are also being inundated with chipmunks, bucket and ramp next week. Problem grows each year.
Last edited by RickBoglehead on Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
GoldStar
Posts: 601
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:59 am

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by GoldStar » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:00 am

Our chipmunk problem was solved when we got dogs.

NotWhoYouThink
Posts: 2072
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:19 pm

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:50 am

The foxes and coyotes help the rat snakes keep the critter population down. But the neighbors with small dogs worry about the coyotes. OTOH, the coyotes don't yap for hours on end, maybe just a little howling at night. Especially when they hear a siren.

ColoRetiredGirl
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:40 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by ColoRetiredGirl » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:10 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:54 am
ColoRetiredGirl wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:08 pm

:? Can’t we all just get along together? They were probably in your neighborhood before you moved in. And, before your ask…I have squirrels which I happily feed along with the ducks, geese, rabbits, and a variety of birds. I consider this my local ‘welfare’ contribution.
Very naive view. Deer were there before us, controlled by natural predators and hunters. Houses go in, predators leave, hunting not allowed. Deer population explodes, destroying landscaping, knocking down fences, causing car accidents, carrying ticks with Lyme disease.

We are also being inundated with chipmunks, bucket and ramp next week. Problem grows each year.
I am not naive. I understand your pain; however, where can they go? IMHO you cannot just kill them because they exist. They have nowhere to go. As we continue to add more people/ houses in their environment they may become extinct. I would hate to only see people in my neighborhood. Oh yes I am a deer!🙂

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 3526
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by munemaker » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:47 pm

munemaker wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:33 am
cheese_breath wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:24 pm
munemaker wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:09 pm
I just bought the Havahart trap a few days ago. So far the chipmunks have eaten the peanut butter and escaped four times, even though the trap was set off. Not sure how this is happening. My wife is keeping score and so far CHIPMUNKS - 4, MUNEMAKER - 0. I am about to lose my heart and go for the "chipper dipper," aka chipmunk swimming pool.
The squirrels are probably letting them out and splitting the take with them.
If I find the squirrels are complicit in this, I am going after them too.
Actually it is the mice who are being complicit. Who would have thought?

Our yard is becoming increasingly hazardous to chipmunks due to poison, rat traps and (next week) a chipper dipper. Several chippees have succumbed to this unwelcoming environment.

We have established a CRP (Chippee Relocation Program), modeled after the popular "Catch and Release" program; it is for those who would like to move to a safer area. Today we had our first client. He was relocated to a nice rural chipmunk-friendly space about 5 miles away; from what I could see, he seemed very pleased with his new environment. I hope more chippees will participate in this program before it is too late. Future enhancement will be painting the tail of relocated chippees; repeat violators will be dealt with harshly.

The ultimate goal is a CFZ (Chippee Free Zone). We are a long way from that right now.

Image

Miriam2
Posts: 2329
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by Miriam2 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:09 am

munemaker wrote: The ultimate goal is a CFZ (Chippee Free Zone). We are a long way from that right now.
^^^ he IS awfully cute . . .

dominque
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:45 am

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by dominque » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:05 am

I tried many many methods and the only thing that worked was the gopher smoke bombs. I used about 10 of them spread out over 3-4 days. I also removed any bird feeders with sunflower seeds. The little rascals undermined my brick privacy fence and now I'm looking at thousands in repairs.

Dottie57
Posts: 4662
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by Dottie57 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:31 am

ColoRetiredGirl wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:08 pm
praxis wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:10 pm
We have 12 years experience. These fellas are so cute when they show up. But as they gorge on birdseed and our flower garden, they procreate and become a yard full of striped rats. They are pests in our yard. They are always into mischief like stripping wires and chewing up things to make nests. We are often discussing control with neighbors. Some try methods to reduce their numbers. Others feed them peanuts and seed. For us, we try to strike a happy medium and keep the population under control. I'm a conservationist in most things, but these guys get my goat. With all due respect to our squeamish readers, I decline to describe my methods. But lately it's been us or them.
:? Can’t we all just get along together? They were probably in your neighborhood before you moved in. And, before your ask…I have squirrels which I happily feed along with the ducks, geese, rabbits, and a variety of birds. I consider this my local ‘welfare’ contribution.
I like the way you think.

ColoRetiredGirl
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:40 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by ColoRetiredGirl » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:01 am

Dottie57 wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:31 am
ColoRetiredGirl wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:08 pm
praxis wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:10 pm
We have 12 years experience. These fellas are so cute when they show up. But as they gorge on birdseed and our flower garden, they procreate and become a yard full of striped rats. They are pests in our yard. They are always into mischief like stripping wires and chewing up things to make nests. We are often discussing control with neighbors. Some try methods to reduce their numbers. Others feed them peanuts and seed. For us, we try to strike a happy medium and keep the population under control. I'm a conservationist in most things, but these guys get my goat. With all due respect to our squeamish readers, I decline to describe my methods. But lately it's been us or them.
:? Can’t we all just get along together? They were probably in your neighborhood before you moved in. And, before your ask…I have squirrels which I happily feed along with the ducks, geese, rabbits, and a variety of birds. I consider this my local ‘welfare’ contribution.
I like the way you think.
Thank you! 🙂

p14175
Posts: 332
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:33 am
Location: Now in southeast Arizona

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by p14175 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:58 pm

NotWhoYouThink wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:50 am
The foxes and coyotes help the rat snakes keep the critter population down. But the neighbors with small dogs worry about the coyotes. OTOH, the coyotes don't yap for hours on end, maybe just a little howling at night. Especially when they hear a siren.
+1
Add to that gopher snakes, hawks, owls, and maybe even roadrunners (they are opportunists).

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 3526
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by munemaker » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:21 pm

munemaker wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:47 pm

We have established a CRP (Chippee Relocation Program), modeled after the popular "Catch and Release" program.
Today we had another happily relocated chimpee. Maybe they will start an expat community at their new site.

I think we are on to something.

Dandy
Posts: 5416
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by Dandy » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:37 am

I have a patio surrounded by RR ties and chipmunk holes. I use a have a heart trap without bait. Just put it by the hole entrance and have caught at least 60 over the last 4 years. Got number 7 this spring today. Seems like they are procreating faster than I'm trapping. :oops:

But prior to trapping they were running wild even climbing up the corner piece of my siding. I see less of them now but can't seem to clear them out completely.

I do relocate them to a more rural setting away from homes.

GreatLaker
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:19 pm

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by GreatLaker » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:54 pm

A neighbour a block over traps them and shoots them with a pellet gun.

I have a catch and release policy. I catch them in my yard and release them in his. :D

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 3526
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by munemaker » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:38 pm

munemaker wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:21 pm
munemaker wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:47 pm

We have established a CRP (Chippee Relocation Program), modeled after the popular "Catch and Release" program.
Today we had another happily relocated chimpee. Maybe they will start an expat community at their new site.

I think we are on to something.
UPDATE: Posting this so it can help others.

I found mice were taking the bait; they are so small and light that they sometimes take the bait without triggering the trap. When it is triggered, these mice are so small they can squeeze between the bars to escape. I set a mousetrap with peanut butter bait and caught 4 mice quickly. I think they are all gone.

Now the Havahart trap is working as it should. I am using sunflower seeds for bait. Whenever the door is closed, there is now a chipmunk inside (except one time a small bird that was released without being relocated).

There is no way the chipmunks can get through the bars of the trap. Someone said maybe they can beat the trap door falling. They are pretty quick, but I think their natural instinct would be to (attempt to) run away from the noise of the door, not toward it. I see no evidence they are beating the falling door.

Still catching chippees, but I don't see them ripping around the yard and trees like they used to be. I think we are making a difference.

My advice to Havahart trap owners: If you are losing bait or the door is down but no chipee inside, set some mouse traps with peanut butter.

Since I am catching so many chippees with the Havahart trap, I removed the rat traps and am not putting out any more poison, and never did follow through on my threat to use the chipper dipper.

When I release the chippees (about 3 miles away), they seem to be delighted with their new environment. They can catch up with their relocated friends.

Housedoc
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu May 24, 2018 4:25 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: Chipmunk problem

Post by Housedoc » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:10 pm

Farnum is my new friend. I use a putty knife to cut the blocks into 1/4's. End of block, pushing down works best.
Blocks disappear and so does the problem. I treat every 3 days. Much better than chipper dipper.

Post Reply