home theater equipment

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Econberkeley

home theater equipment

Post by Econberkeley » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:21 am

I purchased a home that has a built in entertainment system. What kind of equipment I should buy to use it? receiver? type of cable?? Please see attached for the image of the home theater wall plate.

tcassette

Re: home theater equipment

Post by tcassette » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:36 am

The picture is of a wall panel for speaker cable connections, although there is one RCA jack that could be for a subwoofer or video output. There should be speaker cables in the wall behind the panel; you need to find where they go. That should tell you what the panel is for. The panel is probably where you connect speaker cables from a receiver/amplifier, so that the signals go to other remote panels where cables are connected to the actual speakers. Because there are 2 sets of 6 connectors on the panel pictured, it could be for 2 separate 5.1 surround sound areas. Regarding type of cable, I recommend speaker cable at least 16 gauge thickness. However, it appears you need a friend with audio expertise to help you sort through this.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:07 am

Monoprice for cable.

Econberkeley

Post by Econberkeley » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:08 am

Thank you for all the replies. Much apprrciated. I want to add that I have built in speakers on the ceiling. It looks like i only need to buy the receiver and the cable.

Another question. What do those colors on wall plate indicate?

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:14 am

Econberkeley wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:08 am
Thank you for all the replies. Much apprrciated. I want to add that I have built in speakers on the ceiling. It looks like i only need to buy the receiver and the cable.

Another question. What do those colors on wall plate indicate?
There's a positive and negative terminal on each speaker which need to be matched up to your receiver terminals (outputs). Speaker wire will also have some way to differentiate each conductor (wire) within the insulation. Just make sure that the wire you attach to the red terminal on your receiver is the same wire attached to the red terminal on the wall and likewise for the black (red to red, black to black).
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau