Best Father's Day Gift You Ever Received (or wish you'd received)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jkushne1

Best Father's Day Gift You Ever Received (or wish you'd received)

Post by jkushne1 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:30 pm

With Father's Day around the corner, I was looking to get my father something nice. This year I won't be home for father's day and am still a medical resident with little money. But next year I will be back home and also should have more money as at attending. So, I was hoping to throw this out to the group for ideas. What are some of the best gifts/experiences you have ever received, given, or wish you had received.

-Category 1: medical resident budget (less than $100 ideally) and unable to be there in person.
-Category 2: attending budget and able to be around in person.

Thanks.

Loik098

Re: Best Father's Day Gift You Ever Received (or wish you'd received)

Post by Loik098 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:21 pm

A letter or note with heartfelt sentiment is a cheap, but extremely effective gift.

rob

Post by rob » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:39 pm

Not going to answer the question in the title because it's neither PG rated nor fits your more detailed description :D

For your scenario... How about calling him and talking for a couple of hours... Tell him what's happening at school etc.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:40 am

For me my boys are the best gift I have. Both earning eagle scout, one heading off to college this fall the youngest the following year. I am so proud of them both.

A phone call with a thanks for everything dad will probably mean way more then any material gift...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:43 am

Loik098 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:21 pm
A letter or note with heartfelt sentiment is a cheap, but extremely effective gift.
+1. Sometimes the best gifts have no tangible value.

Everyday is Father’s Day, not because Hallmark seemed it so.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:46 am

You are giving him the father's day gift every day. Going to medical school to be successful is what a dad wants for his kid. I would state a nice long phone call telling him how you are doing in life and school will be a great father's day gift.

I have a 18 and 22 year olds in college and this is all I would need from them. They ask me what I want as a gift and I tell them nothing.

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:52 am

My best gift is being received this year as my whole family(4 children w/spouses and 7 grandchildren) are going for a 4 day vacation in Branson, Mo. We are all staying in one large house(this is going to be exciting). I have 2 children living on the west coast, so getting them all together has not happened for several years. My wife(who has been fighting cancer) is doing well right now and will be able to enjoy the trip. Health and family is the best gift in my opinion.

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:53 am

Letter thanking him for a specific lesson or value imparted.
Photos of family/kids.
If you're an attending, frame the photo for dresser/desk/home.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:19 am

Certainly sounds like it's a "Hallmark Moment" time!

gasdoc

Post by gasdoc » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:38 am

I have a daughter in college. I have told her I do not want a gift- I am spending the day with her this weekend which is the ultimate gift. If she could not be there, I would understand, and just talking on the phone would be great. I am proud of the young lady she is becoming, and that is the ultimate gift.

gasdoc

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:48 am

jkushne1 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:30 pm
With Father's Day around the corner, I was looking to get my father something nice. This year I won't be home for father's day and am still a medical resident with little money. But next year I will be back home and also should have more money as at attending. So, I was hoping to throw this out to the group for ideas. What are some of the best gifts/experiences you have ever received, given, or wish you had received.

-Category 1: medical resident budget (less than $100 ideally) and unable to be there in person.
-Category 2: attending budget and able to be around in person.

Thanks.
For me the best and most fun father's day gift was a day out at World of Beer with my adult children. We each tried a couple of beers and had some food. I think my wife paid, so in a way, I paid. Heck we even took the dog.

In your case something like this seems impossible because of distance, so a phone call, and a coupon for an activity he would really enjoy when you are back home. So be that fishing, beer tasting, bike riding, whatever his interest just spend some time with him. Express some gratitude for things he has done for you is also a great gift that money cannot buy.

Reading some of the other answers this is a common theme!

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:55 am

Put me in the car. Drive me to the Harley dealer. Check me in to rent a Dyna or soft tail for the day.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:52 pm

When my son was much younger and he wanted to be baptized and he wanted me to perform the baptism on Fathers Day. Such an incredible day...

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:34 am

I agree with the majority of posters above.
The best gift is expression of love....however it happens....a heartfelt note, phone call, home cooked meal, hang out together,
whatever. Like I really need my hardworking graduate student daughter to spend money on me?
I do recall reading somewhere that ,on average, people spend about 2/3 as much on their dad on Father's Day than they spend on their mom on Mother's Day. I find that interesting. I guess the average mother is more demanding, while us dads are happy to settle for a good hug. But what do I know?

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:44 am

Definitely, the notes. All ever sent to my parents on Mother's and Father's days were found in their belongings after they died. As for a specific gift, time together becomes more meaningful as children become adults, move on to establish a different residence. For example, this year's gift is a guided fishing trip together from one son.

Tim

gasdoc

Post by gasdoc » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:02 pm

Nowizard wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:44 am
Definitely, the notes. All ever sent to my parents on Mother's and Father's days were found in their belongings after they died. As for a specific gift, time together becomes more meaningful as children become adults, move on to establish a different residence. For example, this year's gift is a guided fishing trip together from one son.

Tim
To emphasize the point made above, just had the best Fathers Day I can remember. Spent the weekend at HER apartment, where SHE planned the outings, made the breakfast, etc. I got to see that, wow, she really can live on her own (with financial assistance)! We ate dinner out, went to a movie, hiked 5 miles at a state park, and had lunch at the newly renamed IHOB. It was great!

gasdoc

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:56 pm

My dad died about 1.5 years ago. This year I found an 11 year old digital picture of my dad, brother and his som, my nephew. It was from Christmas 2006. I had it printed at Walgreens (8 x 10) and framed. When I gave it to My brother, he became all misty eyed. Later on Father’s Day he told my mom it was one of the best presents ever. So glad I made the effort.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:59 pm

Father's day gift???

spin_echo

Post by spin_echo » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:09 pm

As others have said, I think time is the most precious thing that you can give. Find something to do with your dad (give him an IOU for this year, for sometime when you can be together) :)

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:15 pm

New grandson several weeks old.
Best Father's Day ever.
Making a goofy face.
j :D

goalie

Post by goalie » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:45 pm

I was still driving a tractor trailer approx 10 years ago and my 4 kids, ages 1 to 5, gave me an extendable back scratcher. There is nothing worse than an itch that you can't safely reach for 10-14 hours. It hits that spot oh so well......ah!!! Chip

sport

Post by sport » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:55 pm

A hand-made father's day card from my only grandchild. He is 3 years old. We waited a long time for him.

nodenuff2

Post by nodenuff2 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:47 pm

This year was the best. We in the past had a poor relationship with a daughter in law. I am sure she picked out a card for her family this year . She selected a Hallmark card that said
a good man could influence the world around him. She then thanked for the me for the influence on my son and grandson. Brought tears to my eyes. So humbling.
2014 No. 42 2015 No.342 2016 No. 6 2017 238 what do I know? "Good bless America land that I love..."

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:34 pm

Just got home from a family reunion with siblings, adult children, and grandchildren. A total of 33 of us, including eight fathers and 11 children age 7 and under, all together at a resort location on Fathers Day. A wonderful time for everyone, and the best gift a guy could hope for.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt