Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
User avatar
FrugalInvestor
Posts: 4904
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:20 am

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by FrugalInvestor » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:27 pm

imyeti2 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:11 pm
Anyways, as many other have indicated, will go forward and take possession of the letter. Thanks.

Yeti,
And let us know what it is, the suspense is excruciating!
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

Finridge
Posts: 499
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by Finridge » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:06 pm

samsoes wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:53 pm
Gort wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:26 pm
I can't believe some people here would refuse to accept a certified letter. One of the ressons previously stated is that the sender is attempting to establish a paper trail. Does anyone here really believe that refusal would serve to disrupt the paper trail? Refusal would be a significant disadvantage should the situation escalate to legal actions as it would show the receiver to be uncooperative in attempts to resolve the problem.
"Uncooperative? Huh? What letter? I never received any letter or notification..."

The key is to have the letter returned "unclaimed" rather than "refused." Just ignore those little slips the postal carrier leaves.
I believe they try 3x.
Exactly. If anyone tries to send me something to my home address that I have to sign for, in order for it to be delivered, there is an excellent chance that it will be returned to the sender--not because I am refusing delivery but because it is terribly inconvenient. If it's not something I am expecting and want, I'm not going to make a great effort to be there to sign for it.

imyeti2
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 3:45 pm
Location: Greater Boston

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by imyeti2 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:51 pm

Thank you for all the great responses.

Yet to pick up the letter. Will do that in the next couple of days when I get some time to visit the post office. Will report back. Thank you.

Yeti.

User avatar
Gort
Posts: 452
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:07 pm
Location: Idaho

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by Gort » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:53 pm

Finridge wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:06 pm
samsoes wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:53 pm
Gort wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:26 pm
I can't believe some people here would refuse to accept a certified letter. One of the ressons previously stated is that the sender is attempting to establish a paper trail. Does anyone here really believe that refusal would serve to disrupt the paper trail? Refusal would be a significant disadvantage should the situation escalate to legal actions as it would show the receiver to be uncooperative in attempts to resolve the problem.
"Uncooperative? Huh? What letter? I never received any letter or notification..."

The key is to have the letter returned "unclaimed" rather than "refused." Just ignore those little slips the postal carrier leaves.
I believe they try 3x.
Exactly. If anyone tries to send me something to my home address that I have to sign for, in order for it to be delivered, there is an excellent chance that it will be returned to the sender--not because I am refusing delivery but because it is terribly inconvenient. If it's not something I am expecting and want, I'm not going to make a great effort to be there to sign for it.
If you are not home to receive it, the attempted delivery notice left by the carrier will notify you to come to the post office to sign for it. Good luck getting out of this one!!

Miriam2
Posts: 2329
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by Miriam2 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:10 pm

imyeti2 wrote: Thank you for all the great responses.
Yet to pick up the letter. Will do that in the next couple of days when I get some time to visit the post office. Will report back. Thank you.
Yeti.
The NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS??? :shock: We're hanging by our knuckles waiting to hear what's in the certified letter - and we have to wait a couple of days . . . :wink:

AlphaLess
Posts: 833
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:38 pm
Location: Kentucky
Contact:

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by AlphaLess » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:21 pm

Miriam2 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:10 pm
imyeti2 wrote: Thank you for all the great responses.
Yet to pick up the letter. Will do that in the next couple of days when I get some time to visit the post office. Will report back. Thank you.
Yeti.
The NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS??? :shock: We're hanging by our knuckles waiting to hear what's in the certified letter - and we have to wait a couple of days . . . :wink:
LoL. You have literally nothing else to do?

It's a silly letter, for Piotr's sake.
"You can get more with a kind word and a gun than with just a kind word." George Washington

User avatar
Escape Velocity
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:05 am

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by Escape Velocity » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:23 pm

I had an experience with a contractor I hired to do some foundation work for our cottage.

He seemed like a good guy -- who had been recommended to me.

When his first installment payment was due, he said he needed the money as soon as possible, since his truck needed repairs so he could finish the job, and could I wire it to him. I did (I was not so bright in those good ole days).

Later on, when I visited the cottage to see how the work was coming, we had a nice chat. Seemed like a good guy with some hard luck history. So I figured, rather than have to drive up and give him the remaining check after he finishes, I'll just give it to him now. And he'll just finish the job. (Did I mention I was not so bright in those days ;-)

Anywho, he vanished, and I was 100% unable to track him down. My conclusion was this guy was into drugs, and needed the money fast for that.

Now back to your story ... anytime someone is that much in a rush for a deposit, I'd take it as a serious red flag. I agree with some other folks that have recommended severing all future contact.

Best of luck,

EV

TravelGeek
Posts: 2365
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by TravelGeek » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:57 pm

Miriam2 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:10 pm
The NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS??? :shock: We're hanging by our knuckles waiting to hear what's in the certified letter - and we have to wait a couple of days . . . :wink:
I subscribed to this thread so I don't miss the stunning conclusion :)

Miriam2
Posts: 2329
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by Miriam2 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:14 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:57 pm
Miriam2 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:10 pm
The NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS??? :shock: We're hanging by our knuckles waiting to hear what's in the certified letter - and we have to wait a couple of days . . . :wink:
I subscribed to this thread so I don't miss the stunning conclusion :)
Whew! Please PM me immediately if I miss the Grand Opening :D

User avatar
baconavocado
Posts: 189
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:03 pm

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by baconavocado » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:02 am

I would not pick up the letter. If you don't have a contract with him, you don't owe him anything, and based on his behavior you don't want to have anything to do with him. I would not have any further contact with him, by mail, phone or otherwise.

There are lots of kooks and an equal number of crooks in the home repair/construction business, IMO.

wrongfunds
Posts: 1875
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by wrongfunds » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:43 am

what if the letter has some white substance in it? have you contacted your local law enforcement department? remember those type of scares in the past?

User avatar
Jimbo9911
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 3:20 pm
Location: Mississippi

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by Jimbo9911 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:01 am

Goodness gracious.
If someone knocks on your door do you go and hide?

I would have to know what is going on with the letter. I would open it.
Ignoring things do not make them go away.

Jim

User avatar
samsoes
Posts: 876
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:12 am
Location: Northeast Rat Race

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by samsoes » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:06 am

Jimbo9911 wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:01 am
Goodness gracious.
If someone knocks on your door do you go and hide?
Jim
That's why doors usually have peep-holes and (more recently) cameras can be installed to see who's at the door.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

User avatar
Gort
Posts: 452
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:07 pm
Location: Idaho

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by Gort » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:28 am

imyeti2: Please open the letter and end this misery of the great unknown. Until you do I'm going to hide under my bed. :annoyed

UpperNwGuy
Posts: 1127
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:16 pm

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by UpperNwGuy » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:34 am

OP, did you get the letter yet? What did it say?

Carson
Posts: 563
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by Carson » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:52 am

Seriously, it's been a day... I don't work tomorrow and will be away from my PC. If the OP could get it today, that'd be appreciated...
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.

wrongfunds
Posts: 1875
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by wrongfunds » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:15 pm

I am ready to bet that we do NOT hear back from the OP at all.

TSR
Posts: 721
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:08 am

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by TSR » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:42 pm

I agree with the general sentiment that I'd sign for a letter if it came to me (I do not, however, know that I'd go to the post office just to have the pleasure of hearing from a frustrated person). But I disagree that acceptance of such a letter is legally irrelevant.

Due process requires effective notification that someone is being sued: service of process. For many years, the only way to accomplish this was through (1) the sheriff, or (2) a designated process server. The process server would wait outside someone's house for a couple of days, pretend to be a flower delivery person or whatever, then hand them the summons/complaint/etc. This was always a ridiculous and expensive system, but you really do need to know that someone KNOWS about a lawsuit before you hold them responsible for not responding to it. So states started passing laws allowing for effective service by designated overnight delivery services, usually FedEx, UPS, and certified mail. The catch is that you had to get someone to actually sign for it for service to be effective. I have worked in legal fields where people regularly try to evade service, and it's not that hard to avoid if, for example, you live in a gated community. I have even had to trick people into accepting service by mailing documents in boxes that looked like gift packages so that they'd sign for it. I am unaware of any state where service could be effected by merely sending something via certified mail (as opposed to the person signing for it), but they may exist.

The only point I'm making above is that depending on state law, signing for something containing a legal complaint absolutely could mean that you are accepting service of that complaint, which could start all sorts of clocks running. If this happened, you'd want to consult with an attorney immediately. But as others have said, I'd probably want to know that this lunatic was out there suing me. It is more likely that he is trying to create some other paper trail for god-knows-what reason. Best of luck!

Finridge
Posts: 499
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by Finridge » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:26 pm

Gort wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:53 pm
Finridge wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:06 pm
samsoes wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:53 pm
Gort wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:26 pm
I can't believe some people here would refuse to accept a certified letter. One of the ressons previously stated is that the sender is attempting to establish a paper trail. Does anyone here really believe that refusal would serve to disrupt the paper trail? Refusal would be a significant disadvantage should the situation escalate to legal actions as it would show the receiver to be uncooperative in attempts to resolve the problem.
"Uncooperative? Huh? What letter? I never received any letter or notification..."

The key is to have the letter returned "unclaimed" rather than "refused." Just ignore those little slips the postal carrier leaves.
I believe they try 3x.
Exactly. If anyone tries to send me something to my home address that I have to sign for, in order for it to be delivered, there is an excellent chance that it will be returned to the sender--not because I am refusing delivery but because it is terribly inconvenient. If it's not something I am expecting and want, I'm not going to make a great effort to be there to sign for it.
If you are not home to receive it, the attempted delivery notice left by the carrier will notify you to come to the post office to sign for it. Good luck getting out of this one!!
I think some of the people here see it as a moral obligation to *have* to accept the letter, even if you have to take 1 hour out of your busy day and drive miles to the post office, wait in a long line, sign for it, and then drive back home. And all to help a presumptive litigious adversary create a paper trail. But if you want to do this, go ahead--knock yourself out! I will pass...

Maybe this is an age thing? Like how 40 years ago, people felt moral obligated to answer the ringing telephone no matter what, even it if was in the middle of dinner. People would be irritated if you called during "dinner time" but they would still answer it every time. Because they felt morally obligated to, and maybe also because deep down they really needed to know who was calling and why.

There must be a similar dynamic here. If you don't drive down to the post office, stand line, collect the letter--guess what, nobody is going to come to your house and arrest you. You will not lose your court case. You will not be admonished. Nothing will happen. The only thing--you won't know what's in it, and I think that eats away at some people.

Finridge
Posts: 499
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by Finridge » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:28 pm

TSR wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:42 pm
I agree with the general sentiment that I'd sign for a letter if it came to me (I do not, however, know that I'd go to the post office just to have the pleasure of hearing from a frustrated person). But I disagree that acceptance of such a letter is legally irrelevant.

Due process requires effective notification that someone is being sued: service of process. For many years, the only way to accomplish this was through (1) the sheriff, or (2) a designated process server. The process server would wait outside someone's house for a couple of days, pretend to be a flower delivery person or whatever, then hand them the summons/complaint/etc. This was always a ridiculous and expensive system, but you really do need to know that someone KNOWS about a lawsuit before you hold them responsible for not responding to it. So states started passing laws allowing for effective service by designated overnight delivery services, usually FedEx, UPS, and certified mail. The catch is that you had to get someone to actually sign for it for service to be effective. I have worked in legal fields where people regularly try to evade service, and it's not that hard to avoid if, for example, you live in a gated community. I have even had to trick people into accepting service by mailing documents in boxes that looked like gift packages so that they'd sign for it. I am unaware of any state where service could be effected by merely sending something via certified mail (as opposed to the person signing for it), but they may exist.
This is all correct.

User avatar
buccimane
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:34 pm

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by buccimane » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:47 pm

wrongfunds wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:15 pm
I am ready to bet that we do NOT hear back from the OP at all.
54 posts since 2013; meaning this is clearly somewhat important to OP. I am ready to wager with you :moneybag
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still

TravelGeek
Posts: 2365
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by TravelGeek » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:23 pm

Finridge wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:26 pm

There must be a similar dynamic here. If you don't drive down to the post office, stand line, collect the letter--guess what, nobody is going to come to your house and arrest you. You will not lose your court case. You will not be admonished. Nothing will happen. The only thing--you won't know what's in it, and I think that eats away at some people.
Forget about standing in line at the post office. That is one person's job. More importantly think of the dozens or hundreds of people who have each invested 20+ minutes of their time into reading this thread, offering advice... and now just deserve to know what was in that letter. :twisted:

neilpilot
Posts: 1882
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: Memphis area

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by neilpilot » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:29 pm

I once knew a lawyer who would sometimes send an empty envelope certified mail, and then use the receipt as proof that he had mailed paperwork that was received by the recipient.

His ploy had several uses, one of which was to be able to say that he had sent some time sensitive document on time, to meet a deadline, when in fact he was running late and the document had not yet been prepared. He'd use the return receipt as "proof" that the document was indeed sent on time.

So maybe there's nothing in that envelope :oops:

User avatar
samsoes
Posts: 876
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:12 am
Location: Northeast Rat Race

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by samsoes » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:51 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:23 pm
Finridge wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:26 pm

There must be a similar dynamic here. If you don't drive down to the post office, stand line, collect the letter--guess what, nobody is going to come to your house and arrest you. You will not lose your court case. You will not be admonished. Nothing will happen. The only thing--you won't know what's in it, and I think that eats away at some people.
Forget about standing in line at the post office. That is one person's job. More importantly think of the dozens or hundreds of people who have each invested 20+ minutes of their time into reading this thread, offering advice... and now just deserve to know what was in that letter. :twisted:
Nobody here deserves to know what's in the letter, which should be returned "unclaimed."
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

Silverado
Posts: 190
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:07 pm

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by Silverado » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:40 pm

samsoes wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:51 pm
TravelGeek wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:23 pm
Finridge wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:26 pm

There must be a similar dynamic here. If you don't drive down to the post office, stand line, collect the letter--guess what, nobody is going to come to your house and arrest you. You will not lose your court case. You will not be admonished. Nothing will happen. The only thing--you won't know what's in it, and I think that eats away at some people.
Forget about standing in line at the post office. That is one person's job. More importantly think of the dozens or hundreds of people who have each invested 20+ minutes of their time into reading this thread, offering advice... and now just deserve to know what was in that letter. :twisted:
Nobody here deserves to know what's in the letter, which should be returned "unclaimed."
Especially those who are posting without reading.

Interesting views here and there.

uberdoc
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:37 pm

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by uberdoc » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:28 pm

I will caution against opening the letter. Only bad outcomes come out of these things. If you have not picked it up yet, you can ask your friendly postal worker to let you know if it has been returned to the sender. Than you can take a sigh of relief. If you happen to have it in your possession, you could put it up in sunlight and try to read the content without opening it. I again must warn you- these things are evil.
Whatever you decide to do in the end, please let us know by Saturday night as I am on call Sunday and must be able to function without thinking of any unsolved mystery.

likegarden
Posts: 2698
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:33 pm

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by likegarden » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:51 am

So what's the resolution of this thread?

ved
Posts: 699
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:56 pm

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by ved » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:09 am

uberdoc wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:28 pm
I will caution against opening the letter. Only bad outcomes come out of these things. If you have not picked it up yet, you can ask your friendly postal worker to let you know if it has been returned to the sender. Than you can take a sigh of relief. If you happen to have it in your possession, you could put it up in sunlight and try to read the content without opening it. I again must warn you- these things are evil.
Whatever you decide to do in the end, please let us know by Saturday night as I am on call Sunday and must be able to function without thinking of any unsolved mystery.
Sorry...Saturday night is not good for me - prior commitments. Can we know by today (Friday) evening :-)
OP - all kidding aside, hope things turn out well for you.

dknightd
Posts: 955
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:57 am

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by dknightd » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:21 am

I think I would have accepted it. Or signed the card that let the mailperson leave it. I'm not sure I'd go to post office and collect it now. I'm lazy ;) If it is important, perhaps they will try to send it again. If they really want you to get something the only way to avoid it is to move. Might as well accept, and open, and read it. At least this way you would know why your ex-handyman would pay to have a certified letter sent to you. It does not sound to me that you made a contract with him, verbal or otherwise, but I'm only reading you side of the story, and I'm not a lawyer, or a judge . . .

LarryAllen
Posts: 1122
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:41 am
Location: State of Confusion

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by LarryAllen » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:40 am

I can't believe I just read two pages of this thread. Happy Friday!

Nate79
Posts: 3586
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:24 pm
Location: Delaware

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by Nate79 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:31 am

Maybe it is a thank you note and a gift card thanking you for being such a great customer over the year. 8-)

nordsteve
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:23 am

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by nordsteve » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:47 am

The urgency level in this thread went way up at about the same time as the racoon made it to the roof. Coincidence? 8-)

adamthesmythe
Posts: 2293
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:47 pm

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by adamthesmythe » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:59 am

Having been on the other side of this, I am going to make some guesses.

I suspect the letter is a "demand letter." That is, it sets out a grievance and requests (demands) some compensation.

NOT accepting the letter means that (1) you don't know what is being asked and (2) it will be returned to the sender with notification that receipt was refused.

The next step (given that the $ are small) is probably for the contractor to go to small claims court. He will retain the unopened letter with evidence that it was refused and will provide this as evidence that he attempted to reach a resolution.

andypanda
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:11 pm
Location: Richmond, Virginia

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by andypanda » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:56 am

Years ago I had a notice stuck to my front door to come to the Post Office and sign for something. I was working, my parents were in assisted living and nursing home care two hours away and time was precious.

Okay, I finally got over there and signed for this important letter. It was from the hospital where my mother had been treated months before. They had paid a few dollars to mail me - the POA, etc. - a single page explanation of her rights to appeal her treatment, etc. Jeez.

A month later they did it again. A few more bucks to send the same single page listing of her rights. :oops:

lstone19
Posts: 167
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:33 pm

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by lstone19 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:08 pm

I remember 35+ years ago when I was living in California getting the note that the P.O. had certified mail for me. Getting it required a special trip on the way home from work so a pain in the butt. Turned out to be a state-mandated notice from my home insurance company that I had a special 30-day period where I could add earthquake insurance. 30 days later, repeat the process this time with a letter saying by not acting, I had waived that right. What a waste of time and money.

But in this case, I doubt this is something as silly as that.

User avatar
cheese_breath
Posts: 8017
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by cheese_breath » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:23 pm

lstone19 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:08 pm
I remember 35+ years ago when I was living in California getting the note that the P.O. had certified mail for me. Getting it required a special trip on the way home from work so a pain in the butt. Turned out to be a state-mandated notice from my home insurance company that I had a special 30-day period where I could add earthquake insurance. 30 days later, repeat the process this time with a letter saying by not acting, I had waived that right. What a waste of time and money.

But in this case, I doubt this is something as silly as that.
I don't think that was silly at all. Your insurance company was covering themselves legally to show they had complied with the state mandate.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

toofache32
Posts: 1354
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:30 pm

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by toofache32 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:27 pm

TSR wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:42 pm
I have even had to trick people into accepting service by mailing documents in boxes that looked like gift packages so that they'd sign for it.
This is genius. My business sends out collection letters to deadbeats with a certified letter as the 3rd letter before going to a collection agency. They know they are deadbeats and never accept the certified letter. Some cases end up in court and I wonder if this would change anything.

toofache32
Posts: 1354
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:30 pm

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by toofache32 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:30 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:23 pm
lstone19 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:08 pm
I remember 35+ years ago when I was living in California getting the note that the P.O. had certified mail for me. Getting it required a special trip on the way home from work so a pain in the butt. Turned out to be a state-mandated notice from my home insurance company that I had a special 30-day period where I could add earthquake insurance. 30 days later, repeat the process this time with a letter saying by not acting, I had waived that right. What a waste of time and money.

But in this case, I doubt this is something as silly as that.
I don't think that was silly at all. Your insurance company was covering themselves legally to show they had complied with the state mandate.
I agree. Notice there are others on this very forum who will refuse the letter then proudly exclaim “what letter?!?” Someone is trying to tell them something but they plug their ears and refuse to hear it.

https://youtu.be/myWaa6xvPZ4

FreemanB
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 5:55 am

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by FreemanB » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:44 pm

I see lots of posts stating they wouldn't accept the letter because it likely isn't anything good. However, I can't see a scenario where not accepting the letter would create a positive outcome and many scenarios where not accepting it would lead to a negative outcome. If it is a bill for services, accepting or not doesn't change the validity of the bill, but you lose any opportunity to dispute it before it escalates. If it involves a lawsuit, then they just have to find another way to serve you, which won't be hard given that they know your home address. You just end up in the dark about the lawsuit for longer for no real gain. For anything else, it just seems like the equivalent of sticking your head in the sand and hoping for the best.

In what scenario does not accepting the letter actually help the OP more than accepting the letter?

User avatar
JoMoney
Posts: 6124
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:31 am

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by JoMoney » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:15 pm

FreemanB wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:44 pm
I see lots of posts stating they wouldn't accept the letter because it likely isn't anything good. However, I can't see a scenario where not accepting the letter would create a positive outcome and many scenarios where not accepting it would lead to a negative outcome. If it is a bill for services, accepting or not doesn't change the validity of the bill, but you lose any opportunity to dispute it before it escalates. If it involves a lawsuit, then they just have to find another way to serve you, which won't be hard given that they know your home address. You just end up in the dark about the lawsuit for longer for no real gain. For anything else, it just seems like the equivalent of sticking your head in the sand and hoping for the best.

In what scenario does not accepting the letter actually help the OP more than accepting the letter?
In a situation I was involved in, the certified letters were a matter of showing that I was trying to resolve the situation outside of court.
When they didn't respond, that's when I filed for a small-claims suit (which was served by the court, not through certified mail... and that got their attention. We were later able to settle out of court, but if they had dealt with the letter initially maybe the matter wouldn't have escalated).
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

lstone19
Posts: 167
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:33 pm

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by lstone19 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:13 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:23 pm
lstone19 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:08 pm
I remember 35+ years ago when I was living in California getting the note that the P.O. had certified mail for me. Getting it required a special trip on the way home from work so a pain in the butt. Turned out to be a state-mandated notice from my home insurance company that I had a special 30-day period where I could add earthquake insurance. 30 days later, repeat the process this time with a letter saying by not acting, I had waived that right. What a waste of time and money.

But in this case, I doubt this is something as silly as that.
I don't think that was silly at all. Your insurance company was covering themselves legally to show they had complied with the state mandate.
IIRC (from over 35 years ago), it was the state that mandated certified mail be used for both the letter informing you of the option (I can see a point that the company would want proof but it was still, IMHO, overkill for the situation) and the one informing you that the option was no longer available (absolutely no reason for that to be certified mail).

User avatar
8foot7
Posts: 816
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:29 pm

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by 8foot7 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:18 pm

If the situation is exactly as you described, then I wouldn't accept the letter and let it be returned unclaimed. Just because someone desperately wants to tell me something doesn't mean I have to listen and in this case playing along in a process designed to gin up some legitimacy out of nothing can hold no upside for you.

I'm also fairly certain that in most jurisdictions, a certified letter returned unclaimed to sender is not proper service, so the idea that this is some kind of summons is kind of ridiculous.

brucebuck1010
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:39 pm

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by brucebuck1010 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:22 pm

Waiting with baited breath!

User avatar
celia
Posts: 8489
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:32 am
Location: SoCal

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by celia » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:57 pm

imyeti2 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:18 am
He texted me a couple of weeks ago to see whether there was any more work, and kept asking us whether the work was large enough ($2K-5K). I could not commit until.... I showed him the projects and got estimates. He came over looked at the list of projects....
It is obvious he needs some money and is cooperating with you to get a job(s) from you. You stated that you could not commit to him (or anyone) about the things you want done UNTIL after you showed him the projects and got estimates. He cooperated to come over and look at the projects and is likely now sending you the estimates, so you will be able to commit to the jobs.

He needs the work and has likely done everything he can to get the work. He is waiting for you to commit so he can start the projects.

(I am just re-phrasing what you told us.)
The least you can do is to consider his estimates and compare them to the others you (don't yet) have.

The ball is now in your court, as they say.

PS If you don't have the time to go to the Post Office, you can probably sign the delivery notice, leave it with your outgoing mail, and say it is ok to deliver the next (delivery) day. Or if a neighbor is willing to sign, put that on the delivery notice and leave it with your outgoing mail.

User avatar
JamesSFO
Posts: 3111
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:16 pm

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by JamesSFO » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:08 pm

I'm curious. (Aside am a lawyer, not providing legal advice, but I struggle to see an advantage to NOT obtaining the letter. If this person is mad at you might as well learn exactly what they are up to.)

likegarden
Posts: 2698
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:33 pm

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by likegarden » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:38 pm

We missed a certified letter 2 days ago, nobody was home. So I signed the note left at the door and wrote that the carrier should leave the letter in the mail box, left note in the mail box. She did next day, and nobody had to go to the post office.

The next person asked what was in my Certified letter. Actually it was my son's letter and he did not tell me, why should he, it's private.
Last edited by likegarden on Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boglegirl
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:41 pm

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by boglegirl » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:59 pm

likegarden wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:38 pm
We missed a certified letter 2 days ago, nobody was home. So I signed the note left at the door and wrote that the carrier should leave the letter in the mail box, left note in the mail box. She did next day, and nobody had to go to the post office.
So what was in your letter? Since the OP hasn't updated us, you might as well give us a scoop. :D

bogglizer
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:56 pm

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by bogglizer » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:19 pm

In some jurisdictions, the contractor would need to send such a letter before being able to place a contractor's lien on your property. This is why I never sign for these letters. Did I miss someone mentioning this previously in this thread?

User avatar
deanbrew
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:05 pm
Location: The Keystone State

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by deanbrew » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:26 pm

bogglizer wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:19 pm
In some jurisdictions, the contractor would need to send such a letter before being able to place a contractor's lien on your property. This is why I never sign for these letters. Did I miss someone mentioning this previously in this thread?
Do you regularly and repeatedly not pay contractors?

Aldo, if the hurdle is to send a certified letter, don't they meet the requirements by sending it, even if you don't accept it?
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

bogglizer
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:56 pm

Re: Should I take possession of a certified mail?

Post by bogglizer » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:58 am

deanbrew wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:26 pm
bogglizer wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:19 pm
In some jurisdictions, the contractor would need to send such a letter before being able to place a contractor's lien on your property. This is why I never sign for these letters. Did I miss someone mentioning this previously in this thread?
Do you regularly and repeatedly not pay contractors?

Aldo, if the hurdle is to send a certified letter, don't they meet the requirements by sending it, even if you don't accept it?
In my area (Los Angeles), the concrete companies send them to every property owner, just in case the contractor does not pay. The letter contains a threat to put a lien on the house. The point of the certified letter is to show proof that the property owner was contacted, so if the letter isn't signed for, the cement company cannot put on the lien.

Locked