How do you celebrate (potty trained kid) milestone with your spouse?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
motorcyclesarecool

How do you celebrate (potty trained kid) milestone with your spouse?

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:27 pm

#1 child is now potty trained. My wife did an incredible job with it and the kid is still happy. (My involvement was not insignificant but she carried the heaviest load) Without going into detail, the task was sufficiently arduous that I’d like to mark the milestone in a meaningful way.

How do you mark a milestone in your marriage that isn’t related to a birthday or anniversary? I’m looking for ideas here...
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.

PFInterest

Re: How do you celebrate (potty trained kid) milestone with your spouse?

Post by PFInterest » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:34 pm

wine.
a day without the toddler.
with wine.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:35 pm

Unmarried but I think a simple card announcing a surprise outing (dinner, overnight trip, anything away from the kid(s)) would be my move. Card focusing on the appreciation of the efforts. Shows that it didn’t go unnoticed and a night away to relax sounds like a perfect gift, rather than a physical object.

Congrats!

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:37 pm

smile and be happy

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:38 pm

diaper burning party?

GCD

Post by GCD » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:42 pm

My son once had an explosive poo during diaper changing that splattered against a textured wall. I spent considerable time with a Q-tip cleaning up after that. On the subsequent Father's Day I got a spray painted gold Q-tip.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:43 pm

A good bottle of wine ($20-$25 for us), or a dinner out (possibly without kids) at our favorite tex-mex place with amazing margaritas.

One of the best things about marriage is celebrating these kinds of things with my wife. :D
GCD wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:42 pm
My son once had an explosive poo during diaper changing that splattered against a textured wall. I spent considerable time with a Q-tip cleaning up after that. On the subsequent Father's Day I got a spray painted gold Q-tip.
That is amazingly awesome of your wife.

chevca

Post by chevca » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:21 pm

Celebrate potty training?? Wow! :shock:

10YearPlan

Post by 10YearPlan » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:28 pm

I love to celebrate, but I have to be honest, we have never celebrated milestones of this nature.

That said, the wine/day without the toddler/wine is a nice idea.
Or flowers and a funny card commemorating the occasion.

It's nice that you want to celebrate this. Nothing wrong with that at all.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:36 pm

Such a thing never occurred to us, so I’m at a loss.

The Q-Tip thing is hilarious, but it looks like you’re looking for a “Sorry I spend 18 hours a day at work while you deal with diapers” gift. That kind of gift depends on your spouse.

If we did that sort of thing, I would get a babysitter and take my wife out to her favorite restaurant. If I was more adventurous, maybe take the kids to the zoo while she gets an in-Home massage.

JT

rcjchicity

Post by rcjchicity » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:42 pm

PFInterest wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:34 pm
wine.
with wine.
+1,000

I never thought that dealing with another human's bodily functions would consume so much of my mental & physical energy. But, with a 4 & 2 year old, the poo emoji gets lots of text message utilization at our house.

Congrats!

NoVa Lurker

Post by NoVa Lurker » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:43 pm

Congrats!

As of this weekend, it seems our last, youngest child can 100%, reliably wipe himself after going to the potty, and your post makes me think we now need to celebrate this! He has been 'potty-trained' for over a year, but the reliable wiping has been prone to more 'relapses' than we experienced for his older siblings.

We have never celebrated such things. For me, the celebratory reward is simply not having to crouch down in a bathroom / toilet stall and wipe a kid's bottom anymore.

Ron

Post by Ron » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:45 pm

chevca wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:21 pm
Sounds like another Hallmark Holiday :twisted: ...

- Ron

tyrion

Post by tyrion » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:47 pm

Push gifts
'Babymoon's

And now celebrating (successful) potty training?

I feel like an old codger and I'm only in my mid-40s. I think we celebrated the end of potty training with a high-five or perhaps a kind word to each other? Maybe a drink on the deck.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:50 pm

Pat yourself on the back the you completed another step, one of many, of parenthood! Nothing else is required.
Last edited by bob60014 on Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

celia

Post by celia » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:50 pm

motorcyclesarecool wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:27 pm
Without going into detail, the task was sufficiently arduous that I’d like to mark the milestone in a meaningful way.

How do you mark a milestone in your marriage that isn’t related to a birthday or anniversary? I’m looking for ideas here...
This is a marriage milestone for you?

I would just flush the toilet. :beer

.... and/or write it down in the child's baby book.
.... and/or post about it on Bogleheads.org so the whole world knows about your the kid's success.

I certainly hope this doesn't start a trend around here.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:17 pm

We did nothing.

Word of caution. Daughter was fully potty trained for a month. Had one accident, it rattled her, back to diapers for 1.5 months again. HAHA

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:22 pm

It is its own "reward" - for all three of you.

I thought our son would never make it "permanent". He thought using the toilet was a one time event - and not a "lifetime commitment". Neither id it bother him to have a "full load" (and I do mean FULL)

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:26 pm

celia wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:50 pm
Without going into detail, the task was sufficiently arduous that I’d like to mark the milestone in a meaningful way.

.... and/or post about it on Bogleheads.org so the whole world knows about your the kid's success.

We're in the midst of this, with a stubborn 3yr old and my wife is about to lose it, but I am in total agreement with this. Potty-training can be unbelievably frustrating, but I am so over having a party/celebration for everything. I do not think our culture's progressing insistence that everything we do should result in some form of validation or very outward reward is a good thing at all.

PVW

Post by PVW » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:37 pm

A participation trophy and some avocado toast.

Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:43 pm

PVW wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:37 pm
:sharebeer

leeks

Post by leeks » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:47 pm

We didn't do anything when each of ours left diapers behind. But if you don't regularly get a babysitter and spend some kid-free time as a couple, certainly use this as an excuse.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:00 pm

#1 child is now potty trained. My wife did an incredible job with it and the kid is still happy. (My involvement was not insignificant but she carried the heaviest load) Without going into detail, the task was sufficiently arduous that I’d like to mark the milestone in a meaningful way.

Diamonds and gold, perhaps?

Seriously though, while I'm sure everyone is happier now. I can't understand that this is a huge milestone worth celebrating.
Toss any remaining diapers, smile, take a picture, have a glass of wine, then hunker down and prepare for the next milestone. This won't be the last one.

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:05 pm

chevca wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:21 pm
+1

GCD

Post by GCD » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:15 pm

celia wrote:
Start? There was a thread about when to replace underwear. It's been that way for awhile.

Scrapr

Post by Scrapr » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:28 pm

Facebook status change? Pictures? of the proud kid of course! Not the....

I got nothing

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:33 pm

new2bogle wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:38 pm
diaper burning party?
JoeRetire wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:00 pm
Toss any remaining diapers, smile, take a picture ...
Don't burn the diapers! (It is illegal to burn disposable diapers in some states due to chemicals they may contain.) Don't toss the diapers!

If they are disposable diapers, donate them to a charity (e.g., nonprofit helping homeless families or a domestic violence shelter.) Get a warm feeling. If you document it, it is also a Schedule A tax deduction for anyone who itemizes. You could also just pass them along (nondeductibly) to extended family or friends with children still in need. (Sadly, there are some children with disabilities who will never outgrow the need for diapers.)

If they are cloth diapers, there are lots of good uses for old diapers.

shawndoggy

Post by shawndoggy » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:36 pm

I would celebrate with a case of purell for all of the gross public bathrooms you'll now need to visit when your child decides it's time to poop RIGHT NOW!

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:59 pm

A couple of weeks ago I learned here about babymoons. Now I'm learning that I could have celebrated potty training. I think I'm a failure as a modern parent, since I missed out on so much celebrating.

I probably need to go and set up an Instagram to share such things now, too. :oops:

OP, be careful not to celebrate too soon until your child PROOVES that he/she will wipe (and wipe WELL, because for many parents, they end up doing the job over again for awhile), flush, and wash hands on a consistent basis.

Young ones will often forego one or more of these tasks, especially if they were pulled away from a fun activity to do so.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:04 pm

Loik098 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:59 pm
A couple of weeks ago I learned here about babymoons. Now I'm learning that I could have celebrated potty training. I think I'm a failure as a modern parent, since I missed out on so much celebrating. I probably need to go and set up an Instagram to share such things now, too. :oops:
Sadly, you may be a failure. Time to stock up on "Participant" trophies and "Congratulations, it's Friday" stickers.

:twisted:

celia

Post by celia » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:12 pm

Kids will often regress too, if a new baby comes into the family. The baby gets all the attention, so it is natural to want to do something to get some of that attention.

JoeRetire wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:04 pm
Loik098 wrote:
A couple of weeks ago I learned here about babymoons. Now I'm learning that I could have celebrated potty training. I think I'm a failure as a modern parent, since I missed out on so much celebrating. I probably need to go and set up an Instagram to share such things now, too. :oops:
Sadly, you may be a failure. Time to stock up on "Participant" trophies and "Congratulations, it's Friday" stickers.
One day I asked why some low-performing elementary schools were giving out "perfect attendance" stickers/certificates each week. Of course, the key in increasing student performance is to be in school every day. But the school was using it as an easy reward to condition the kids to ask their parents to take them to school on school days. Not everyone has the same values, it appears.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:23 pm

I too can’t relate to celebrating. But, you could get your wife something small and personal to show that you recognize the effort involved. For me, this is something like getting up early Saturday and driving 3 miles to bring back my favorite coffee drink and writing a message on the cup. Or it could be noticing that my favorite author has a new book out and putting an inscription inside.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:10 pm

Have another baby :twisted:
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:16 pm

I am not sure you are done yet. Continue to give the kid some positive attention when the kid uses the poddy. Fade to occasional positive attention.

motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:05 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:26 pm
celia wrote:

We're in the midst of this, with a stubborn 3yr old and my wife is about to lose it, but I am in total agreement with this. Potty-training can be unbelievably frustrating, but I am so over having a party/celebration for everything. I do not think our culture's progressing insistence that everything we do should result in some form of validation or very outward reward is a good thing at all.
I wrote my post to solicit ideas of how to celebrate something that isn’t a birthday or an anniversary, and gave an example. I expected neither admiration nor adulation from the Boglehead peanut gallery.

So, I take it you don’t celebrate your birthday or anniversary. Managing to not die / managing to not get divorced for another year are mundane things. I presume you’re intellectually consistent and refuse to celebrate such mediocrity. After all, everyone has a birthday every year.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.

motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:10 pm

GCD wrote:
Nice!

motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:16 pm

Loik098 wrote:
A couple of weeks ago I learned here about babymoons. Now I'm learning that I could have celebrated potty training.
While it’s probably too late for the former, it’s never too late for the latter...
:wink:

limeyx

Post by limeyx » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:18 pm

PFInterest wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:34 pm
wine.
with wine.
+1

motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:24 pm

PVW wrote:
Why the passive aggression? Did someone spit in your Metamucil this morning? :beer

Tribonian

Post by Tribonian » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:29 pm

This company makes and ships poop-shaped chocolates:

https://www.thepoopfactory.com

rob65

Post by rob65 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:31 pm

I’d say either a spa day for your wife or a nice dinner out for the two of you.

As I get older, I realize more and more that life is short and you should find reasons to celebrate.

RDB

Post by RDB » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:56 pm

What a bunch of grumps. Let them enjoy a little moment. We didn’t do anything for our kids, but that doesn’t mean you should not. I would say getting a babysitter and going out to a nice dinner would be great. From your comments, it doesn’t sound like you need to hear this, but make sure your wife knows how much you appreciate her and her efforts in this and in raising your kids. Stuff like this is great for your relationship and connection, don’t let the negative comments change that.

J295

Post by J295 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:16 pm

OP. Great that you are finding an opportunity to support and show love for your spouse.

oneleaf

Post by oneleaf » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:07 pm

Everytime your kid uses the toilet is a celebration enough.

Gnirk

Post by Gnirk » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:40 pm

Wow! I never knew successful potty training was a celebratory event, or there were such things as “ babymoons” and push presents. I got robbed!!! 🤣

kelvan80

Post by kelvan80 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:18 pm

oneleaf wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:07 pm
Everytime your kid uses the toilet is a celebration enough.
This!! Our little guy #3 trained in March and I still get excited I'm not changing those diapers anymore. $20 more in my budget every month is present enough.

PVW

Post by PVW » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:53 am

Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:24 pm
PVW wrote:
Why the passive aggression? Did someone spit in your Metamucil this morning? :beer
Right. Sorry to pile on with the "I don't understand kids these days" theme.

Back in my day, you had to teach kids to go in an outhouse and forget teaching them to wipe with dried grass. It was so bad, it was easier to just teach them to hold it until we went into town for supplies. And even then, nobody threw us a party when our 6 year old stopped crapping on the floor under the kitchen table. My mom claims I wouldn't dig my own hole to poop in until I was 8, and she didn't get a party for anything until her wake.

All these celebrations are going to be the downfall of society. Harumph!
Last edited by PVW on Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:00 am

Sell the stock in Pampers and Febreeze.

Tim

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:03 am

Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:05 pm
stoptothink wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:26 pm
celia wrote:

I wrote my post to solicit ideas of how to celebrate something that isn’t a birthday or an anniversary, and gave an example. I expected neither admiration nor adulation from the Boglehead peanut gallery.

So, I take it you don’t celebrate your birthday or anniversary. Managing to not die / managing to not get divorced for another year are mundane things. I presume you’re intellectually consistent and refuse to celebrate such mediocrity. After all, everyone has a birthday every year.
Well, good for you. Honestly, what did you expect; for people to suggest you throw a party, buy presents, and make sure to document it all on Instagram?

CedarWaxWing

Post by CedarWaxWing » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:09 am

GCD wrote:
+1 LOL