Water heater installation situation

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
VaR

Re: Water heater installation situation

Post by VaR » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:46 pm

I know this isn't the least costly suggestion, but do you think it would be feasible to reroute the two pipes that make the platform necessary? Where do you think these pipes are going from/to. Is this on the first floor or basement? Is it right on top of the slab or is there something below?

I suspect that rerouting the pipes might be more trouble than it's worth, but I wanted to at least raise the idea in case it's useful or appealing.

It's unlikely that you'd need access to these two pipes, but it would be a royal pain if you needed access after they've been mostly enclosed in a masonry platform.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:22 pm

It's a slab house, these are going into the concrete base floor.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

praxis

Post by praxis » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:47 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:25 pm
Glad everything's going to be done correctly and brought up to code.
Might be a good idea to also install an overflow catch drain pan beneath the heater if there is a handy drain to tap into nearby, perhaps an HVAC condensate drain line, etc.
j
Boy is this ever good advice. Yesterday, I got a call from our neighbor to our winter home about water pouring out of a pipe under our eave. We are living 1200 miles away. I called my plumber and when he entered the attic, he found a major leak in our on-demand water heater. The water could have been running up there for a week (the last time our neighbor had made her walk around the house). Good news: the pan caught all the water and the pvc pipe drained it all outside without damage.

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:26 pm

You have my sympathy. I received an estimate to repl my 50gal gas heater. $3200.00
I tried not to laugh at the guy. I never saw the gun he was trying to use in the robbery. I bought a 50 gal Rheem Platinum from HD for $649. I replaced cutoff valve on cold side, added an expansion tank, as I didn't have one when home was built in 1996. A few couplings and off we go. All gas water heaters now are FVIR, flame in a sealed area and can sit on floor(if no pipes are there.)
Total of $740 incl tax and job done. I am 60YO and will be pissed in the future when I have to pay for things I am no longer able to do.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:43 pm

I picked up a few concrete blocks, both 8x8x4 and 12x8x4 to do some positioning tests. I think it might work out, depends on their requirements. The rep at the installer thinks that the blocks can be stacked, to give 8" of clearance, but she needs to talk with the plumbers.

I also picked up a stand and loosely fitted it together. It fits nicely in the corner and the legs don't interfere with the pipes at all. As an advantage, if there ever were need to access those pipes (no idea if they're active) then there would some clearance.

The problem is that the stand is too tall and the regular heater would probably not be able to installed on it. I looked into the "short" model of the Rheem heaters. For whatever reason, the short ones aren't as efficient and miss out on the gas company's $200 rebate. I'd like to get that. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to cut those legs down. Or whether there would be a code problem with a modified stand (not that one is needed for code). I certainly don't want to attempt it unless it's certain we want to try, because once that's started the stand can't be returned.

She's going to try to have a plumber contact me Monday to discuss these two issues and come up with a plan.

When it's 98F out, cold showers don't seem as bad :)
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:43 pm

The installer is here and got it settled on the concrete blocks. He says it's going well.

Final update, as I know people like conclusions. The heater is installed, filled, and heating. They had to replace the T-junction for the flue, so a few extra bucks. Not too bad, $1500 all in.

VaR

Post by VaR » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:47 pm

My sister appears to have a similar problem she just called me about.

She wants to get a new water heater but because of advances in design, the new water heater is 2" wider than the old one. Her pipes come up from the slab and based on calculations that I've done using pi in my calculations, it *may* be the case that due to the fact that the pipe isn't perfectly vertical, the water heater *might* fit if lifted up a foot, moved into position, and then lowered.

If not, I may have to get a few 4" or 6" concrete blocks to put under the water heater and then reroute one of the pipes. I'm also going to see if the water heater comes with a stand.

I knew there was a reason I've been riveted to this thread. Thanks much, Earl! Here's to hoping I don't have a wifi problem next.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:51 pm

I realize that I didn't mention that the city inspection turned out fine.