Light Camping Trailer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
alex_686

Light Camping Trailer

Post by alex_686 »

Does anybody have any recommendations for a light camping trailer? Or websites? What should we be looking at if we buy used.

We have a Subaru which is rated at 3,000 pounds towing capacity. It would be used for weekend getaways with 1 small child. We are looking for simple and solid, value for money. We are focusing on the kitchen and sleeping areas.

I want to skip any toiler or shower options. More complexity, more things to go wrong, and we live in the north with hard winters.
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.
open_circuit

Re: Light Camping Trailer

Post by open_circuit »

Outback owner. I've considered this several times. Given the towing limitations of the outback, the most attractive option I've found is something like this: https://theusatrailerstore.com/double-d ... g-trailer/

Lifetime used to make one that was sold on Amazon and Costco, but they stopped offering it for sale a few years ago. The above link is the only place I know to find a similar trailer currently. There are other more expensive options for dedicated camping trailers, but if I bought one, I'd buy the multi-use trailer.

Empty weight of 800 lbs, load weight of 1200 lbs means you can tow it while still carrying some stuff in the Subaru. You'll have a hard time with a hard sided trailer staying in the sweet spot for a tow rating. Of course, it also depends on where you are towing.
Last edited by open_circuit on Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Search for Casita travel trailers, made in Texas...
Attempted new signature...
AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch »

Our friends bought a used 13’ (like new) scamp and love it. They use for national parks and also to visit family when housing is tight. They tow it with a Subaru Forrester. I have heard from many campers that there’s a good used market. People buy them expecting a certain lifestyle and barely use them when they discover it’s not for them. They had to travel many miles across states to pick theirs up once they located it.

https://www.scamptrailers.com/showroom/ ... out-1.html

Another friend bought a pop up camper but he was restricted from storing a normal camper on his property due to HOA. He likes that as well but I can’t recall the make/model.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

The Wizard wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:13 am Search for Casita travel trailers, made in Texas...
One of the best things we ever bought. 2016 Casita Spirit 17', towed with a 1/2 ton pickup, but can be towed with an SUV. It has a double bed, fridge, microwave, heater, AC, shower in the bathroom, closet, retractable awning, and a small dinette. 20k with all possible options.

http://casitatraveltrailers.com/spirit-16-17/
MtnBiker

Post by MtnBiker »

For simplicity and utility think about vintage tent trailers (but hard to find). We have been using a 1961 Apache Scout for 40 years, and not ready to give it up yet. Empty weight 250 lb; 600 lb fully loaded. See: https://lutherfish.files.wordpress.com/ ... scout1.jpg

There is a manufacturer in British Columbia that builds something similar. See: http://www.leesurelite.com/. Never ever seen one of those, so don't consider it a recommendation, but something to consider.
Topic Author
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

AntsOnTheMarch, yes, the 13ft Scamp is on our list. Also maybe some type of teardrop trailers. A pop-up may be too minimal - my wife loves to cook.

And yes, I am somewhat leery of buying a camping trailer new. This would be a bit of a shift in our lifestyle and trailers depreciate fast.

Any suggestions on what to look for in a used one? How does one tell if the trailer has "good bones"?
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.
sandramjet

Post by sandramjet »

We have an a-frame popup camper. They are great; hard sided, yet small/easy to put up, easy to pull. We have an indoor kitchen/refrigerator/sink, but no toilet/shower. There are a few different makers - A-Liner, Chalet, Rockwood. Some of the larger ones are too big for the Subaru but the smaller ones are quite doable with the Subaru. (We have done just that)
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

The Wizard wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:13 am Search for Casita travel trailers, made in Texas...
You may have regional options. Scamp is made in Minnesota. Casita as mentioned. Burro. They are all lightweight/fiberglass.

You can get some really nice pop-up campers. The A frame as mentioned are nice.

There are 1,000s of options. Best to start looking on Craigslist or your local camper retailer. At 6-1, a 13' scamp is pretty tight. But, they are neat little trailers.
AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch »

alex_686 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:10 pm AntsOnTheMarch, yes, the 13ft Scamp is on our list. Also maybe some type of teardrop trailers. A pop-up may be too minimal - my wife loves to cook.

And yes, I am somewhat leery of buying a camping trailer new. This would be a bit of a shift in our lifestyle and trailers depreciate fast.

Any suggestions on what to look for in a used one? How does one tell if the trailer has "good bones"?
Sorry, Alex. Other than my friends telling me how Much love the scamp, I have no other info for you. I saw it when they purchased it used and it looked like new. They said a couple bought it new and maybe took 3 trips before they realized the lifestyle wasn’t for them.
tractorguy

Post by tractorguy »

Be warned that the 3000 pound towing capacity may or may not be a meaningful number. You really need to look at the maximum allowable load on the hitch and the maximum allowable load on each axle of the car. You should put a minimum of 10% of the trailer weight on the hitch. (15% is better). That means that a 3000 pound trailer puts a minimum of 300 pounds on the rear of the car. If you throw in the weight of the hitch, and 4 people and luggage in the car, you can easily overload the rear car tires, even if the total Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) is below the car maximum and your trailer weighs less than the car rated towing capacity.

Be also aware that almost certainly exceed the dry weights the RV manufacturers and dealers quote you are only a starting point. I usually figure that clothes, food, utensils, cooking gas, etc. add about 1000 lbs to the dry weight of my travel trailer.

There are lots of options and floor plans. I suggest you try and find a camping show and spend some time looking at them with your spouse. Don't reject a pop up out of hand. Because the beds slide out, they actually have more floor room inside than an equivalent sized hard sided trailer. Also be aware that most of the campers I know that have smaller rigs tend to cook outdoors on a propane stove or small grill. We prefer to keep the heat, odors, and grease outside of our camper.

To get an idea of used prices and maybe find something, look at RVtrader.com. It is the RV equivalent of cars.com
Lorne
Sweet Betsy

Post by Sweet Betsy »

We do not own one of these yet but are seriously considering getting one in the near future.

http://www.timberleaftrailers.com/

They are adorable and can be pulled by a subaru outback or similar.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

I might mention that if you buy a Casita new, like we did, you need to pick it up at the manufacturer's location in Rice Texas. You can have someone deliver it but that costs around 1k, depending on where you live. We live in California and spent three weeks bringing it back and staying in some great spots. Used Casitas hold their value well and sell quickly, as do Scamp trailers.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Check out the Teardrop and Tiny Travel Trailer forum.
See: http://tnttt.com/

Careful thought, as it can be as addictive as the BH forum.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
Topic Author
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

Everybody, thanks for your replies. At the urging of many I will put the pop-up trailer back on our list.

We live closer to Scamp than Casita.

AntsOnTheMarch, thanks for your opinion.

TractorGuy, thanks for your insightful post. This does reinforce my natural tendency to go as light as possible. As for keeping the cooking (heat, grease, etc.) outside, this is one of the things that attracts me to the teardrop design. I am thinking about the ones with the kitchen on the backside and you flip up the rear hatch.

Dratkinson, thanks for the web link. I am poking around it now.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

It depends on how you are camping. If you are traveling from place-to-place, you will really get tired of a pop-up. There is a lot of set-up (beyond cranking up the top) because there is almost no storage space inside. You get to your campsite, crank it up, move all the stuff from the back of the car into the trailer, set it up as you want it arranged, then turn around and tear it all down in the morning. A couple of years with small children and I was definitely ready for a full-height trailer.

The single axle "ultra-light" hybrids (hybrid is full height with fold-out bunks on the ends) have SO much more capability The full bathroom. The decent refrigerator. The stove with oven. Fill the cupboards before you leave home.

They are available with empty weights of less than 2500 pounds for some of the 17 footers.
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

tractorguy wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:37 pm Be warned that the 3000 pound towing capacity may or may not be a meaningful number. You really need to look at the maximum allowable load on the hitch and the maximum allowable load on each axle of the car. You should put a minimum of 10% of the trailer weight on the hitch. (15% is better). That means that a 3000 pound trailer puts a minimum of 300 pounds on the rear of the car. If you throw in the weight of the hitch, and 4 people and luggage in the car, you can easily overload the rear car tires, even if the total Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) is below the car maximum and your trailer weighs less than the car rated towing capacity.

Be also aware that almost certainly exceed the dry weights the RV manufacturers and dealers quote you are only a starting point. I usually figure that clothes, food, utensils, cooking gas, etc. add about 1000 lbs to the dry weight of my travel trailer.

There are lots of options and floor plans. I suggest you try and find a camping show and spend some time looking at them with your spouse. Don't reject a pop up out of hand. Because the beds slide out, they actually have more floor room inside than an equivalent sized hard sided trailer. Also be aware that most of the campers I know that have smaller rigs tend to cook outdoors on a propane stove or small grill. We prefer to keep the heat, odors, and grease outside of our camper.

To get an idea of used prices and maybe find something, look at RVtrader.com. It is the RV equivalent of cars.com
A general rule of thumb that I've heard is that you should add 50% of the weight of your trailer (or boat) and that should still be under the towing capacity. So with a car rated at a 3,000lb towing capacity, the max trailer should be 2,000 lbs. Also expect a major hit in gas mileage and a lot more wear and tear on the car especially if towing in the mountains
srmach05

Post by srmach05 »

alex_686 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:10 pm ...And yes, I am somewhat leery of buying a camping trailer new. This would be a bit of a shift in our lifestyle and trailers depreciate fast.

We bought used and found a local RV rental company that periodically sold its rental units every 2-3 years. Downside was it definitely had more use than a typical camping trailer, upside was it came with a 1 year bumper-to-bumper warranty and documentation that all required maintenance had been done by a qualified professional. Sold it after 2 years and actually made money on it -- used pop-ups hold their value very well apparently.

I recommend checking out the Pop-Up Portal -- it's a good site for asking questions and learning more about what your options may be and how to go about buying a good used camper.
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

Pop-up trailers will give you the most space for the weight. We had a large pop-up that had a full stove, oven, and 1/2 size fridge. Sold it and plan to eventually replace it with a small fiberglass trailer like a Casita or Escape because pop-ups are a giant pain here in the wet Pacific Northwest when you don't store the trailer at your house because you have to go back to the storage area and put it back up to dry anytime you camp in the rain.

3000 lbs is not much. You would want to limit your search to trailers that are no more than about 2000 lbs dry weight according to the specs because you will rapidly use up 1000 lbs or so with gear stowed in the trailer. The dry weight doesn't usually even include the propane tanks. So figure your trailer will have at least an additional 1000 lbs of gear/water/gas etc when you are loaded to go camping.

Think about setting up an outdoor kitchen. A nice lightweight folding table with a gas stove or portable grill is a lot nicer to use outdoors than to be cooking inside a tiny trailer.

These things depreciate fast. Keep your eye on Craigslist and something perfect will eventually turn up.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

Sweet Betsy wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:53 pm We do not own one of these yet but are seriously considering getting one in the near future.

http://www.timberleaftrailers.com/

They are adorable and can be pulled by a subaru outback or similar.
That is a very nice looking teardrop. Not cheap though.
roymeo

Post by roymeo »

dratkinson wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:06 pm Check out the Teardrop and Tiny Travel Trailer forum.
See: http://tnttt.com/

Ah, you beat me to it. Especially for those that want to build their own...
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Besides the superlight scamp, casita, tab, etc. already mentioned, see if you can tow an rpod. Others that you might look at include the egg, trillium and escape, though some of these are towable empty, once loaded, may be too heavy.

If you really don't care for a bathroom, a popup camper might work, like the Forest River Flagstaff.
http://forestriverinc.com/camping-trail ... up-campers

The airstream basecamp is nice, but heavy and expensive.
boglebill

Post by boglebill »

Check out Intech Rv. I've been looking at them for over a year. Haven't pulled the trigger yet but very nice trailers that sound exactly like what you're looking for.

http://www.intechrv.com/
sailfish2

Post by sailfish2 »

I have a pop up camper that I tow with an outback. It weighs only 1500 pounds.

It has a little fridge, water tank and pump sink, roof AC and propane furnace.

I would recommend buying a pop up camper used from a dealer. There are plenty of good gently used pop ups available, as many people "trade up" from a pop up to a larger trailer.

I love camping in my pop up. It's nice to have the AC and furnace but you have the nice feel of bringing the outdoors in, as you can open all the screen windows and hear the gentle rain on the tent material. Even if I could tow a larger trailer, I would stick with a pop up because I enjoy that.
boglegirl

Post by boglegirl »

dratkinson wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:06 pm ...
I can stop any time I want. :wink:
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

If you are new to this completely, I recommend starting with an inexpensive used pop-up to get a feel for how you camp and whether you like the pop-up or think something else is a better fit without investing too much money. Ours had a fridge, sink, and a stove you could use inside or outside. We spent ~2k, learned a lot and figured out what we wanted next, and sold it for ~2k. Now we have a Nucamp T@G Max XL outback edition and love it. We tow with a truck, but it's a really small trailer that we usually move by hand. The XL is the wider model, which means the bed (which is the entire interior) is ~king sized and there is a microwave in the kitchen (which we happen to use quite a bit as we often take prepared food to reheat). Also has a sink, water tank, stove, fridge, but no hot water. We have a dog the size of a small child, so it may work for you. The regular model is closer to a queen and no microwave. We bought a tent from amazon that basically converts an existing 10x10 canopy into a big tent with 4 walls and a floor, and we set that right up against the trailer as our changing room. With the pop-up we got really sick of the work to set up and tear down, the noise that gets in through the canvas (especially if windy), and the possibility of having to set it up at home if it was damp when we left camp. That said, with the teardrop, if it's going to rain one day, we just end up cancelling the trip altogether because I just can't fathom spending time in bed watching a movie. If you think you won't like the fact that if you are in the trailer you are in your bed, don't get the teardrop. As much as we love it, I'm not sure it's the right style for us. We have a height restriction so are limited to small trailers. When we were shopping we also looked at the Aliner Ascape, but it seemed expensive for what it was (plus was too tall). I still haven't figured out what our ideal option is so if anyone has any recommendations under ~8 ft, keep them coming! I am aware of most of the models mentioned so far, but they are uncommon and/or out of my price range I think. Someone mentioned Intech. A lot of their models don't have sinks, but the Luna is really cool. Another teardrop...
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

I would recommend starting out with a used pop up camper and make sure your tow vehicle can conservatively handle the load. It should be easy to find one in your area as people tend to trade up to bigger campers. We had one for several years when our children were little and loved using it.
Topic Author
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

Everybody, thanks for your thoughts.

After sharing this with my wife she wants something she can stand up in (so no teardrop trailers) and not a pop-up (does not like the idea of fabric sides). We have now refined the towing weight down to 2700 pounds. I think this puts us at a 13 foot Scamp.

We will try renting a few different options before buying. That seems like a good choice.

Here is another one that I stumbled upon.
https://taxaoutdoors.com/
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

alex_686 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:37 pmAfter sharing this with my wife she wants something she can stand up in (so no teardrop trailers) and not a pop-up (does not like the idea of fabric sides). We have now refined the towing weight down to 2700 pounds. I think this puts us at a 13 foot Scamp.
And she's probably going to want a bathroom too.
http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-d ... owParent=1

Don't forget the 300 pounds of water you might be towing. These are quite nice, mentioned above, but you really need 3500+ towing capacity unless you load it up very lightly.

If you're really willing to forgo the bathroom, you can buy a used unit and use the space for storage, and/or tear it down to cut down on weight and increase space (but that probably cuts down on resale value).
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

You could also pull an A-fame camper which are basically pop-up campers with hard folding sides rather than tent sides. They are common and popular here in the Northwest. I have an aunt and uncle who own one and like it. They use it a lot.

http://chaletinc.com/a-frame/

With a small child I would at least recommend a porta-potty if you forgo the built-in toilet. You can get little portable ones if the camper doesn't come with one. Some of the camp sites have long walks to the bathroom https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-92850-P ... B006WPQMOA I camped for many years with 3 young children. The potty is a must. Especially with girls.

You can also get decent portable outdoor showers but many if not most camp sites frown upon or outright prohibit disposal of grey water at the camp site which eliminates outdoor showers in established campgrounds for the most part unless you are at a beach campground and just using them to rinse off salt.
Last edited by texasdiver on Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Most vehicles can pull a camper but the real question is "can your vehicle stop it". That is what we have been told by countless camper people.
Cody
wcshaff

Post by wcshaff »

We looked around at the options for a roughly 2000 pound trailer and ended up with the Alto (from Safari Condo). All aluminum with unique streamlined design that electrically raises when camping and lowers when you travel or want to stow it in the garage. Only downside is that it is very much in demand.
researcher

Post by researcher »

wcshaff wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:29 pm We looked around at the options for a roughly 2000 pound trailer and ended up with the Alto (from Safari Condo). All aluminum with unique streamlined design that electrically raises when camping and lowers when you travel or want to stow it in the garage. Only downside is that it is very much in demand.
I stumbled across the Alto camper on youtube a few years ago and have been lusting over them ever since.

Can you share your ownership thoughts & experiences?
What do you like? Not like? Would you buy again?
gregchesney

Post by gregchesney »

Hymer is entering the US towable market. These trailers are very popular in Europe.

http://www.trailerlife.com/rv-gear/rvs/ ... -towables/
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

Cody wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:43 pm Most vehicles can pull a camper but the real question is "can your vehicle stop it". That is what we have been told by countless camper people.
Cody
Need a camper with trailer brakes and a 7-pin wiring harness and brake controller in the car. That can all be retrofitted.
Topic Author
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

texasdiver wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:34 pm With a small child I would at least recommend a porta-potty if you forgo the built-in toilet. You can get little portable ones if the camper doesn't come with one. Some of the camp sites have long walks to the bathroom ... I camped for many years with 3 young children. The potty is a must. Especially with girls.
This is something that I have never thought about. I have a little boy so I always assumed that a upright tree would work.

And I know what everybody is saying about toilets but we are going to skip. We live in the upper-midwest and camp even further north. Grand Marais Minnesota is popular with the extended family. 80s one day, then snow the next week. It just seems like a lot of complexity just ready to break.
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

alex_686 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:30 pm
texasdiver wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:34 pm With a small child I would at least recommend a porta-potty if you forgo the built-in toilet. You can get little portable ones if the camper doesn't come with one. Some of the camp sites have long walks to the bathroom ... I camped for many years with 3 young children. The potty is a must. Especially with girls.
This is something that I have never thought about. I have a little boy so I always assumed that a upright tree would work.

And I know what everybody is saying about toilets but we are going to skip. We live in the upper-midwest and camp even further north. Grand Marais Minnesota is popular with the extended family. 80s one day, then snow the next week. It just seems like a lot of complexity just ready to break.
Yeah. I have 3 girls plus a wife so outvoted on that one. We've done lots of camping in Texas and nearby states and along the Gulf Coast on beach campgrounds in Florida. Not always a nearby tree or anywhere other than a 1/4 mile midnight hike to the bathroom. Sometimes the KOA type campgrounds are fairly close quarters and open, especially in desert areas. But if you are at parks in the north woods with a boy that is probably a different scenario.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

vested1 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:19 am
One of the best things we ever bought. 2016 Casita Spirit 17', towed with a 1/2 ton pickup, but can be towed with an SUV. It has a double bed, fridge, microwave, heater, AC, shower in the bathroom, closet, retractable awning, and a small dinette. 20k with all possible options.

I wish the egg manufacturers would lighten up on their (interior) height limitations. Nobody likes to be bumping their heads all the time.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Cody wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:43 pm Most vehicles can pull a camper but the real question is "can your vehicle stop it". That is what we have been told by countless camper people.
Cody
That hasn't been true for decades, but the stories do persist.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

alex_686 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:07 am Does anybody have any recommendations for a light camping trailer? Or websites? What should we be looking at if we buy used.

We have a Subaru which is rated at 3,000 pounds towing capacity. It would be used for weekend getaways with 1 small child. We are looking for simple and solid, value for money. We are focusing on the kitchen and sleeping areas.

I want to skip any toiler or shower options. More complexity, more things to go wrong, and we live in the north with hard winters.
Honestly I'd look into the new Subaru with, I think, 5000lb tow capacity. Being anywhere near a tow limit isn't fun, and you'll probably find you'll go over a smaller vehicle's gross vehicle weight limit with almost any trailer and a vehicle full of people.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

tibbitts wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:36 pm
vested1 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:19 am

I wish the egg manufacturers would lighten up on their (interior) height limitations. Nobody likes to be bumping their heads all the time.
True, but with me at 5'-5" and my wife at 5' -7" it isn't a problem. Interior height 5' - 10" for our Casita. Now if I could only reach that top shelf in our kitchen at home!
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

tibbitts wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:41 pm
Cody
OK, so you're saying that jack-knifing emergency stops with a trailer with no brakes simply do not happen?
Attempted new signature...
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

The Wizard wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:09 pm
tibbitts wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:41 pm
Cody
OK, so you're saying that jack-knifing emergency stops with a trailer with no brakes simply do not happen?
I'm saying that none of the class of trailers being discussed here have had "no brakes" for decades - a least before the first pop-up camper I was aware of in the early 1970s. Now if you want to say that trailer brakes have reliability issues that's another discussion.
Topic Author
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

Everybody,

OP here with a update. We went with a Scamp trailer, my wife first and only choice. It is a light 13 ft fiberglass egg. We skipped the bathroom and AC.

It has been working well.

Our Subaru Outback pulls it well, and it has the smallest engine and a continuous variable transmission.

One of the reasons why it works well is that we don't use it much expect for sleeping and cooking. We have a large shelter tent instead of a awning and spend most of the time outdoors. So maybe not for everybody.
luckyducky99

Post by luckyducky99 »

Neat, thanks for the update.

We're always jealous of / admire the Scamp when we see them when car camping.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

luckyducky99 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:37 pm Neat, thanks for the update.

We're always jealous of / admire the Scamp when we see them when car camping.
Thanks for the update. As I said I'll be more interested when they add ten inches or so to the interior height.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

researcher wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:03 pm
wcshaff wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:29 pm We looked around at the options for a roughly 2000 pound trailer and ended up with the Alto (from Safari Condo). All aluminum with unique streamlined design that electrically raises when camping and lowers when you travel or want to stow it in the garage. Only downside is that it is very much in demand.
I stumbled across the Alto camper on youtube a few years ago and have been lusting over them ever since.

Can you share your ownership thoughts & experiences?
What do you like? Not like? Would you buy again?
x2 - please share.

That is pretty much the only trailer/camper we've thought of seriously. I think it is the feeling like you're still outside when inside, with all the "glass" it has. Tent campers only so far. Don't want to end up "camping" inside. The Alto seems very cool - and I've thought about renting one (Durango RV seems only place in US) to try first.
For us (and the current market options) its either Outback + Alto or a Van setup for potential longer/retirement camping trips...
glock19

Post by glock19 »

alex_686 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:16 am Everybody,

OP here with a update. We went with a Scamp trailer, my wife first and only choice. It is a light 13 ft fiberglass egg. We skipped the bathroom and AC.

It has been working well.

Our Subaru Outback pulls it well, and it has the smallest engine and a continuous variable transmission.

One of the reasons why it works well is that we don't use it much expect for sleeping and cooking. We have a large shelter tent instead of a awning and spend most of the time outdoors. So maybe not for everybody.
You are wise beyond your years! Did you buy new or used? I do know the used ones have excellent resale value and are difficult to find. I've been pulling trailers for 40 years and have seen hundreds of Scamps and Casitas. You could almost call them small Airstreams.

I pull a 32' 5th wheel and wish many times I was pulling a Scamp. If you ever decide to see the National Parks of the Western states you will be pleased to find many spots that will accommodate a smaller trailer. Consider the purchase of a Honda 2000 watt inverter generator (very small) to carry with you, and you can go self contained in many of the parks. That's real camping.
Topic Author
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

glock19 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:20 pm You are wise beyond your years! Did you buy new or used? I do know the used ones have excellent resale value and are difficult to find. I've been pulling trailers for 40 years and have seen hundreds of Scamps and Casitas. You could almost call them small Airstreams.

I pull a 32' 5th wheel and wish many times I was pulling a Scamp. If you ever decide to see the National Parks of the Western states you will be pleased to find many spots that will accommodate a smaller trailer. Consider the purchase of a Honda 2000 watt inverter generator (very small) to carry with you, and you can go self contained in many of the parks. That's real camping.
Honestly, real camping for me is a 40 pound backpack and out of cell phone reception. But maybe that is not a option with a young child in tow.

We went with a new Scamp. The wait time was a year a half. Post Covid is now at 22 months. We went new because we did not want to inherent other people's problems. Also, Scamps really hold their resale value. As in we were looking at used Scamps that basically would have cost the same as new after required rehabs. To clarify, we were looking at a bare bones basic camper. So bare bones that basically nothing could really fail, so nothing does, so they are kind of equivalent to new.

It has been working well. We did go ahead an purchase a small Honda generator but we really don't need it. I refuse to start that thing up just to charge our cell phones.

On a more general note we have really been enjoying our Scamp. We probably spend more time in the Calm shelter then we do in the Scamp - which I think is appropriate for camping. We basically use it as a hard tent that is impervious to the elements with a small kitchen thrown in.
Geronkas

Post by Geronkas »

alex_686 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:07 am Does anybody have any recommendations for a light camping trailer? Or websites? What should we be looking at if we buy used.

Checkout Timberleaf Trailers. They make teardrop trailers. I have one on order that I plan to tow with my 2 door Wrangler. Dry weight is about 1000lbs, and they have a kitchen galley.
Last edited by Geronkas on Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.