Life in retirement - what did you do today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jdb

Re: Life in retirement - what did you do today?

Post by jdb »

Just fully retired. Wife still working. Drank coffee while reading NYT and WSJ. Told my wife will be getting T-shirt stating “We Are All Canadians”. Put bee suit on and checked my honeybee hives, looking good, probably honey harvest in few weeks. But it is hot in that bee suit. Took pickup truck and got load of mulch, spread around fruit trees with trailer attached to lawn tractor and then harvested some mangoes before squirrels get them. Went to Whole Foods and filled up my growler with fresh draft beer for the week. Took 30 minute late afternoon beauty nap, do enjoy those. Now sipping glass of Bordeaux and reading bogleheads, will make pork chops al la plancha for wife when gets home, then spend couple hours reading latest book about artificial intelligence. Tomorrow golf with friends. No complaints. Good luck.
Last edited by jdb on Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HongKonger

Post by HongKonger »

The Wizard wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:41 pm
HongKonger wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:30 pm ...Hopefully I can get back to cement making in the morning...
Where will this cement go once it's made?
I have a cement (concrete actually) mixer also and need to get busy and put forms in place for my expanded backyard shed...
I'm raising my raised beds in the veggie garden so 7 pallets of cinder blocks, a pallet of cement and 3 tonnes of sand. I love my big girl toys :D
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

Dealing with this:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=251465
rob

Post by rob »

VictoriaF wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:11 pm Yesterday, I was flying from Denver to Washington, DC. The flight departure was changed from 4:30pm to 5:11pm, then to 6pm, then to 8pm, then to an indefinite time with a strong possibility of cancellation, and finally to 9:49pm.

There were over a hundred angry, agitated and nervous people. And there was a retired me who did not care much.

The flight has eventually arrived to DCA at 3:30 in the morning. A hundred people had to caffeinate themselves for a grueling Monday at work. And a retired me allowed myself to sleep in and visit the Bogleheads while leisurely drinking my morning tea.

Victoria
lol - I can palpably see the stress that is NOT here :D
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

/////
Last edited by Lynette on Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Retired 7 years and wouldn't want it any other way. After finishing a great visit to the Northeast, played some tennis this morning, had breakfast out with DW and hit the road to home. Started to wish this never ends, but I know it will. Live on!
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

chevca wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:25 pm Is this place turning into Facebook now? What is a consumer issue, finance, or investing related about this?
That's another thread: "Life in retirement - how many commas have you had today?"

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
GCD

Post by GCD »

chevca wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:25 pm Is this place turning into Facebook now? What is a consumer issue, finance, or investing related about this?
Nothing really. But it is a retirement issue. A lot of BHs seem to struggle with the concept of filling their previous working hours with their own creative agenda. A thread like this may give them some practical examples of how to fill their day. Or it may reinforce their idea that people in retirement fill their day doing boring things. Kind of a reality check for what really takes place in retirement for those who view making the switch with trepidation.

I predict the thread will run for a few more pages until it gets repetitive. Then it will get closed for having "run its course."
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

Walked 3 miles at daybreak, read some, took a nap, ran some errands.

Dave
Last edited by Dave55 on Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
truenorth418

Post by truenorth418 »

Woke up at about 8 am. Lingered in bed, got up at my leisure. Had a big breakfast, like every morning. Went to the gym. Today was "lifting day", so I spent a solid 3 hours there lifting weights and stretching. For lunch I enjoyed a home made protein shake and some turkey. Ran some errands, including a little grocery shopping. Grabbed a coffee at Starbucks where I caught up on the news and some of my favorite blogs. I just fixed myself a snack as I'll need some energy for my Monday night spinning class. After that I'll grab a bite at the local burger joint and take a walk around the neighborhood.

It might sound like kind of dull day, but I enjoyed it. We had nice weather in NYC for a change, and I'm gearing up for 2 months of travel in Europe beginning the week after next, so I am enjoying some "down" time before that.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

Life got exciting for me today. While figuring out the budget for our 10 days vacation on Cape Cod and moving around a sprinkler to water some of my many hostas in the backyard, our clothes washer broke. That GE washer lasted 7 years doing 4 washes a day approximately. So I bought a Speed Queen TR5. Including installation and taxes that cost us $945, should last for us 10 years+, all we would need. Now comes 4 days of running to the Laundromat, they also have Speed Queens. That Speed Queen has a warranty of 5 years parts and labor, salesman did not push for extended warranty.
Those events today wore me out a little at 78, Sam Adams required.
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

Last edited by Lynette on Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

What quiet unstructured unexciting lives.

I can't wait to live mine once I retire! :D
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Retired 2 years. I volunteer on construction and rehab projects for a local charity mostly 3 days a week. Today was a "non-work" leisure day.

Up at 5:30 AM.
Made a pot of tea and read the news and some forums I participate in.
Wife and I out the door by 6:30, down to the water and do the usual 2.5 mile walk.
Back home and then out again at to pick blueberries at a local farm.
Picked 9 lbs of blueberries.
Back at 10:00 - washed, dried and froze berries in eight 1 lb bags, keeping one bag out for fresh berries this week.
Off to the gym at 11 AM. 1 hr workout - today primarily recumbent bike and weights/circuit training
Lunch at noon - big fresh mixed salad - lots of tomatoes from the garden, sadly our abundance of lettuce is over until Fall.
After lunch nap for 90 min.
After nap ice tea and reading on the back porch watching the usual afternoon rain shower come in.
More reading and some internet surfing for a couple of hours - and posting this response.
Starting dinner soon. Eggplant and more tomatoes from the garden will star in a nice ratatouille.

Life is very good if you are lucky enough to have learned what and who it is that makes you happy and gives you peace.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

The first thing I did after I retired was to replace the back fence and most of the large deck in the backyard from the ground up. Cut up the huge but defunct hot tub with a Sawsall and took about 15 loads to the dump. Maintenance that was put off with all those 60-70 hour work weeks had piled up, but luckily I enjoy doing it myself. This weekend I rebuilt a large wooden gate from scratch, prepped it for paint today and started on rebuilding the 70' long side fence.

Fishing trips, camping in the trailer in this State and others, and trips to Hawaii and Florida keep us busy. Daily walks along the ocean. Watching the grandkids playing intramural sports is fun too. Not enough hours in the day most of the time.
sport

Post by sport »

I played duplicate bridge today in a STaC game. Scored some silver points. If you are a duplicate bridge player you will understand what all that means.
Slapshot

Post by Slapshot »

71. Retired 14 years. Got up at 6:30, ate breakfast and read the morning paper. Headed out to play hockey from 9-10:30 with our over 50 group. Came home and had lunch. Spent a couple of hours online reading news and email, researching investments, etc. Made some phone calls re. an insurance claim on an investment condo. About 3 I went outside and mowed the lawn. Use a walk behind, takes about an hour. Followed that up with a frosted mug of Sam Adams and watched the last half of a soccer game on ESPN3. Then we had supper, walked the dogs, and settled in for the night. On days I don't skate, I go to the gym or ride 20 miles on a road bike. Those days also involve a morning dog walk. Good life.
This time, like all times, is the best of times if we but know what to do with it.
vg55

Post by vg55 »

I have been retired for 14 months now. Today, I did some chores around the house (e.g. mowed the lawn, turned the compost, made the coffee, etc.) and then got ready for my habitat for humanity volunteer gig (e.g spray painted shutters for a house). I also went biking to prepare for a biking trip on Prince Edward Island in July. My friends are avid and terrific bikers. Me, not so much. Last time I biked with them, I ended up in the hospital with pericarditis. I think they are trying to kill me. But the joke is on them since they aren't beneficiaries. Best to all.

Post by 2015 »

Preparing to return tomorrow to the highly extracting morass that is elder and hospice care which has been incessant since January. It would be nice to say I was preparing for my next scheduled travel adventure this month but all adventures for this year have evaporated in light of this higher priority and commitment.
vg55

Post by vg55 »

Regarding the adjustment to retirement part of the OP question: for me, that was/is tough.

It feels as though I went from the position of a guru to a non-entity in a single day. In the work world, I was a go-to person, problem-solver, and decision maker. People from different corners of the earth would seek my advice and counsel on a wide range of matters. And now. Nothing. I went from giving unassailable advice and counsel on multi-million deals; or complex legal matters; to being instructed on how to stack the jelly at the local food pantry where I volunteer.

I don't want to do legal work any more. But I miss the respect.

It is distressing to have lost credibility and respect in a single day. So, now I am back at square 1 rebuilding credibility in a new world.
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

Got Up.
Checked the local and national and world news.
Daily exercise session.
Ate lunch (biggest meal of day for me).
Made hotel reservations for trip to Virginia. Planned out driving route.
Went to Barnes and Noble to buy new highway maps and to check out latest books. Bought chocolate chip cookies.
Bought some scratch-off tickets. Went home and ate cookies and played the tickets (no winners).
Started a new novel. Read it for an hour.
Went for a two mile walk in the gorgeous June weather.
Freezer in my old refrigerator needed some ice chopped out. Did that.
Perused some of my favorite political websites.
Cleaned up and re-organized my messy work desk.
Right now, going to do some laundry at the near-by laundromat.
Boring life for most people? Probably. Any stress? Not one bit! :D
Illegitimi non carborundum.
vg55

Post by vg55 »

2015 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:45 pm Preparing to return tomorrow to the highly extracting morass that is elder and hospice care which has been incessant since January. It would be nice to say I was preparing for my next scheduled travel adventure this month but all adventures for this year have evaporated in light of this higher priority and commitment.
Sorry for your troubles. Been there a few times myself. For us, the hospice workers have true angels. Kind, considerate, patient, helpful. Dont know how they do it every day. But very glad that they do.
lws

Post by lws »

“What will be the good of the conquest of leisure and health, if no one remembers how to use them?” Bertrand Russell.
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

Went grocery shopping and bought a few things at Home Depot
Prepared for our condominium board meeting, to give an update on a couple of projects I'm doing for it
Did my usual free weight regimen
Read a few hundred pages of a book
Watched a couple of TV shows I'd DVR'ed
Read several message boards on topics I'm interested in.
Napped. That's the best part.
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

For me what makes this topic actionable is its value in sharing individual life experiences that are direct results of adherence to the financial management precepts on which this forum was founded.

To actually get some 'baseline' feedback is immensely reassuring to me. It validates my suspicion that there are enough life maintenance tasks and chores that most folks have to handle post-retirement that many (most?) folks aren't bored, while at the same time they are clearly enjoying their freedom from the stresses and pressures of being chained to the working world.

I'm struck by the commonality of not only quotidian lives that by many measures aren't fast paced or action packed or eventful but also by the ubiquitous expressions of appreciation for the peace and contentment of life during these precious days, months and years of freedom.

Freedom that was earned, not given, by being a Boglehead.
rick0

Post by rick0 »

I just got back from a 5 day backpacking trip in the North Cascades doing Trail Maintenance.
In the party of 9, 7 of us were retired.

..Its a better workout than going to the gym!

I don't worry about the dust in the house.
CULater

Post by CULater »

So, break it out for me. What was your happiness quotient for the following ages?

20 - 35
35 - 50
50 - 65
65 - 80
80 +

I'd have to say that mine was highest for the first bracket by far and has declined for each bracket since. Funny, because in the younger years there is struggle, uncertainty, stress, financial challenge, sacrifice, etc. In the later years there is less of all that plus we finally have more time to do stuff we didn't have the time or opportunity to do when we were younger, and yet I (we) don't get happier, we get less and less happy.
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

sport wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:21 pm I played duplicate bridge today in a STaC game. Scored some silver points. If you are a duplicate bridge player you will understand what all that means.
I also played duplicate today with the wife. Last place! I took up the game to try to keep my mind sharp, but it may be having the opposite effect. Anyway, had a nice nap afterwards.
Gort

Post by Gort »

Goofed off a bit. Planned a trip to visit friends and bought airline tickets without worrying about what days were available to fly. Goofed off a bit more.
fourwaystreet

Post by fourwaystreet »

Today I had my usual breakfast, then did a load of laundry. I went to the driving range to work on a few things. One of my grandsons had half a day of school so I gave him lunch and played with him for a couple of hours until my daughter came and got him. I blew the remaining dirt out of the driveway from the 4.5 yards that I used to fill in the spot where the pool use to be. I washed and dried my vehicle, took the trash can to the curb. I took a shower then went to another grandsons baseball game where I played catch with yet another grandson before the game started. I came home and had a bite to eat, then watched an hour of a Netflix show. I loaded the dishwasher and now here I sit.

Tomorrow I am playing golf and I hope to upload the pictures I took from our recent 10 trip to Punta Cana.

Whoever it was that said retirement is boring is sadly mistaken.
When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure.
Topic Author
FireHorse

Post by FireHorse »

GCD wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:08 pm
Nothing really. But it is a retirement issue. A lot of BHs seem to struggle with the concept of filling their previous working hours with their own creative agenda. A thread like this may give them some practical examples of how to fill their day. Or it may reinforce their idea that people in retirement fill their day doing boring things. Kind of a reality check for what really takes place in retirement for those who view making the switch with trepidation.

I predict the thread will run for a few more pages until it gets repetitive. Then it will get closed for having "run its course."
+1000
Well said. That is the exact intent.
THANKS TO ALL responding to the thread.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

2015 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:45 pm Preparing to return tomorrow to the highly extracting morass that is elder and hospice care which has been incessant since January. It would be nice to say I was preparing for my next scheduled travel adventure this month but all adventures for this year have evaporated in light of this higher priority and commitment.
Your elder is fortunate to have you.

This discussion is Retirement 101 for those who are curious or fearing it. We have good days and bad days and uneventful days. We go on adventures and we take care of our elders. We face more death than when we were younger, but we also have more wisdom to weave its horror and lessons into our lives and continue following our personal missions.

Be well,

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
CULater

Post by CULater »

I'm not the only one, I guess:
To examine long-term trends in happiness in the U.S., my colleagues and I merged reams of survey data from 1972 to 2014, from four nationally representative samples totaling 1.3 million Americans. All were between the ages of 13 and 96, and all were asked the same standard question on general happiness: “Would you say that you are very happy, pretty happy, or not too happy?”

Our findings, published on Thursday in the journal Social Psychological and Personality Science, were startling, revealing a pattern that doesn’t fit with conventional wisdom on age and happiness. Past research has found that people grow steadily happier as they age from adolescence to older adulthood, with happiness peaking when people reach their 60s and 70s; the moodiness of youth subsides, and maturity brings more contentment. But our analysis found that this was no longer true: In the last five years, the once-reliable correlation between age and happiness among adults has vanished. Adults 30 and over are less happy than they used to be, while, teens and young adults are happier; in fact, adults over 30 are no longer happier than their younger counterparts. It seems that mature adults’ happiness has waned, while young people’s happiness has flourished.
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... wn/414349/
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

Wishing you well. I am sure that your dedication is greatly valued and appreciated.
Lilly

Post by Lilly »

Retired at 65. Now age 70. This morning I had a couple cups of coffee as I read the local grocery store ads and made out a menu and grocery list for the week. Went to our local community center to lead an exercise program. Stopped at the nursing home to see how my 99 year old mother was doing. She was too busy today for me to visit. Went on to the grocery store. Came home to put the groceries away and wash a couple loads of clothes. Played cards with friends in the afternoon. Prepared to make dinner. Then friends called to invite us out to dinner and drinks. Put my half prepared meal back in the cooler. Spent the evening with friends. Heading to bed now. Good night. Life is good.

Lily
22twain

Post by 22twain »

GCD wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:08 pmA lot of BHs seem to struggle with the concept of filling their previous working hours with their own creative agenda. A thread like this may give them some practical examples of how to fill their day. Or it may reinforce their idea that people in retirement fill their day doing boring things.
As opposed to the wonderfully creative things they were doing every day at work? :wink:

OK, for me yesterday was actually rather uneventful. Usually I try to get in a good walk in the early morning, because down here in the Southeast it's beastly hot and humid in the summer. I didn't do that this morning because I woke up late. So instead I watched the CBS Morning News with my wife, then puttered around online, took a shower, ate lunch, puttered around online some more, listened to a couple of CD's worth of music, ate dinner, watched some more TV (evening news and some other stuff), and puttered around online some more (which I'm hopefully finishing up about now).

Tomorrow (Tuesday) will be a bit more eventful because it's primary election day, and it looks like the weather is going to be slightly cooler. So in late morning I'll walk to the polling station, then to my favorite pizza place for lunch, then home. In both directions, I'll pass through the college campus where I taught for many years. I'll probably stop by my former department and see if anyone is around. Maybe not, because it's summertime and the course they offer during summer term is online nowadays.

Next weekend I have not one, but two hobby-related conventions/events coming up within a day-trip range, so I'll probably drive to both of them.
Meet my pet, Peeve, who loves to convert non-acronyms into acronyms: FED, ROTH, CASH, IVY, ...
chevca

Post by chevca »

And, then we can start a "what did you have for dinner" thread, or start posting where we are on the weekends or vacations.....

It's obviously still going since the thread is open, but I'm disappointed it is.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

RadAudit wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:24 pm
CULater wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:08 pm Very interesting to hear what folks are doing. Wonder what age most of you are. I have the the feeling that the 60s are pretty good with activities and maybe early 70s. How many are still on the move older than that? Seems like the mid-70s are the watershed and things slow down a lot then.
sheepdog is 85.
Thanks for that. Taylor Larimore is my idol....in his 90s and still sailboat racing and all that.
I think I am as active is I was at 60 except that foreign travel has ceased as of 3 years ago. We ceased not because of age, but we decided to stay in country in the future by auto. Plane travel has become not enjoyable anymore (security, seating, boarding and all that. I will be traveling by air to PA in October though.) We have never considered age to be a deterrent for anything. Really, we don't think "We are too old." We just do it.
Except for threads like this which brings my age to mind I never consider my age when I want to do something, nor does my wife. Why should anyone? Don't even think that you will be a lesser person in your 80s or beyond. Be positive. It's up to you.
Last edited by Sheepdog on Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

chevca wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:20 am

And, then we can start a "what did you have for dinner" thread, or start posting where we are on the weekends or vacations.....

It's obviously still going since the thread is open, but I'm disappointed it is.
Why not just ignore it instead of being disappointed?
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

livesoft wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:02 am Got up. Rode bike for about 20 miles. Took shower. Made oatmeal for breakfast and did my abs workout at the same time. Walked dog. On dog walk, talked to 6 neighbors who were also out early. Made arrangements to test drive a Subaru Outback. Confirmed lunch appointment. Tidied house for the maids who come this afternoon. Friend coming over for coffee before lunch. Made grocery shopping list. Arranged dog sitter for my next vacation. Traded a few million dollars in ETFs. Wrote a bunch of posts on bogleheads.org. It's only 10 am my time, so lots more to do today.
Incredible Vitality. :D
Legendary. :D

For myself, maintaining your post count would already require more naps. :shock:
aloha
j :D

"Honey Dooo's today", have to weld a few extra stall pipes in her barn. . . . . then a nap. :shock:
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
midareff

Post by midareff »

I was soooo busy yesterday I never had a chance to catch up on all the "doin' nothing" I was supposed to do. That is really going to throw a curve into today's activities as I have both today's and yesterday's "doin' nothing" to catch up on, and I still have to start packing for our trip..
GCD

Post by GCD »

chevca wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:20 am

Hmmm. Yeah. And as I have been reminded a few times myself... If you don't like a thread, just don't post in it.
indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease »

Yesturday got up ate breakfast went mountain biking for 2 hours with other retired friends. Then we played freesbie golf for 2 hours after lunch at park (this is our Monday routine)

Today ate breakfast went to gym for 1 hr. Had lunch with wife. Now resting while watching tv. Tonight dinner and drinks. (Tuesday routine).

Wednesday, Thursday breakfast, gym and anything that comes up.

Friday (same routine as Monday)

Weekends hang with family. Netflix series have become a weekend favorite for wife and I. Just finished Marvels Jessica Jones series. Now watching Longmire series.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Today? Exciting stuff.

Got up about 7am in anticipation of a truck from a local charity coming to pick up some furniture that we are donating. (Still waiting.) Also hoping to catch a glimpse of the city water crew coming to check on a leak at our meter. (Still waiting.) Had a nice chat with the FedEx man while he searched every package in his van looking for ours; he promised he would be back today if he finds it later.

In the meantime I had a small lunch, listened to music from Spotify, did five loads of laundry, and bounced around the internet reading news and several fora that I participate in. I also did some daily stretching exercises and will spend 30 minutes on a stationary bike once the charity pickup guys remove this furniture from our porch. After that I will grill hamburgers and spend the rest of the evening watching TV with DW--finishing up binge-watching a series on Netflix tonight and probably finding another one to start.

Tomorrow? Completely different. That is my favorite part of my daily routine in retirement. It is not routine.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

vg55 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:50 pm Regarding the adjustment to retirement part of the OP question: for me, that was/is tough.

It feels as though I went from the position of a guru to a non-entity in a single day. In the work world, I was a go-to person, problem-solver, and decision maker. People from different corners of the earth would seek my advice and counsel on a wide range of matters. And now. Nothing. I went from giving unassailable advice and counsel on multi-million deals; or complex legal matters; to being instructed on how to stack the jelly at the local food pantry where I volunteer.

I don't want to do legal work any more. But I miss the respect.

It is distressing to have lost credibility and respect in a single day. So, now I am back at square 1 rebuilding credibility in a new world.
Forget about the respect of others - it is absolutely meaningless. Your best priority and goal should be to be of maximum service to others with zero credit or "respect" accumulated in return. It is tough I know, I ran a fairly significant sized business for a mega corp, and made or participated in making significant decisions sometimes affecting many people. But in retirement, at least for me out in my day to day life, maximum humility provides the most satisfaction. I don't want to be the go to guy, I don't want to be the respected authority - I don't want anything that feels like my old life at work.

All of my work in retirement is manual labor volunteer work (construction and home rehab) not in the field that I was an expert in when employed. What I need in retirement is to be the guy that keeps his mouth shut, his head down, and very quietly does good work at very simple tasks that virtually nobody notices. It is hard to believe the freedom, joy, and peace that simple goal can bring.
Last edited by jabberwockOG on Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yousha

Post by yousha »

There are no alarm clocks in retirement especially if you have reached critical mass.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

yousha wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:38 pm There are no alarm clocks in retirement especially if you have reached critical mass.
Well stated, Mr. Brinker...
Attempted new signature...
SimplicityNow

Post by SimplicityNow »

I'm fairly new to retirement (last October) so still getting use to it :)

Stayed up late last night so I woke up late today. I love not having to set the alarm.

Had a healthy breakfast, read the news.

Took my pups for a short walk .

Returned home and dealt with a malfunctioning pool robot. Admitted defeat and will bring it in for repair.

Watered outdoor plants.

Made a few phone calls.

Took the pups to a local pond for a long walk. Met and conversed with a few like minded dog owners.

Came home and made myself lunch.

Planned an excursion for a cruise we are taking this fall.

Went to the gym, today was the elliptical for some cardio.

Came home, showered, chatted with my daughter.

Now I am reading more bogleheads and getting dinner ready for my wife and daughter who are at the gym.

Boring? Routine? Maybe, but I love it. No need for outside reinforcement of respect or self worth. I had a job where I was the answer guy. Sometimes I had people lined up at my desk waiting for me to walk in. It is nice not having to worry about that anymore. I still get calls from my replacement 7 months later asking what to do at times but she's a great person and I don't mind helping her.

Everyday I enjoy the reduction in stress, the increase in sleep and how much better I feel everyday.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Today.
Drank 1 cup of coffee,
fruit cup,vitamins
Spanish lessons.
handled a few financial transactions ,quicken,,Bogleheads site,,Washington Post ,Google News.
Outside...
Cut grass with push-mower half acre sidehill lie
Had a lot of huge branches to cut up and burn in fire pit...from several trees I had cut down.
Accomplished that with saw,rake,leafblower. took a couple hours.
Break,more coffee,,,
Another spanish lesson while drinking coffee.
Checked facebook.
Helped my friend in Mexico City with some new english words...via Tandem application
Spoke with another friend in Portugal who is learning English also.
Back to yardwork,,,listening to music (blues).
My goal was to finish by 12:35 as I was expecting a text from Walmart letting me know my groceries were ready for pickup.
Checked Bogleheads
Mission accomplished ,text showed up at 12:50
Shower out the door by 1:00
Spouse and I went to Walmart ,as soon as we hit pickup area attendant showed up ,,groceries in car.
Went in walmart picked up another 40.00 various items...left
Got gas.
Back home,,,,,Bogleheads site
put groceries away.
Sat down ate ,,microwave birds eye vegetables,,,
Back outside finishing up wood burning chores,
Another break,,,,
Intensive spanish lesson,,
Back up
Had an Energy Drink... :mrgreen:
Out to the RV,,,,,getting it prepped
Headed for Boone Nc for a few days....
Nice weather in the mountians
About 4:40
head inside,,,,,wife is prepping chicken and brocoli for dinner, ask her if she needs help,,,as usual she says,,,,
Get the drinks out of the refrigerator,,,finished helping :happy
Out on the back deck,,,,,
More spanish with my friend in Mexico City,,,he drives a van,,,sends me a pic of current heavy rain and flooding.
Dinner time,,chicken,,,,,,,
Checking Bogleheads site,,Washington post,,,,Performance of VPCCX and VSCGX the last ten years,while eating.
Watching youtube videos ,,,,.
6:50,,,
Getting ready to head outside,,with cup of coffee,,walk around the backyard ,,enjoy nature and count my blessings.....
More spanish lessons after that, in my man cave (the outside shed),,,
Mess around with computers,Pc help room internet,
Check my fitbit,,,to make sure I have reached my step goal for the day,,
If not ,,will walk around the house ,down the hill to make that happen,
Lift some weights in the garage...
Back in the house,,,,
Spanish lessons.....
Shower,,,,,,
Bedroom,,,say Alexa , turn on lights. Alexa turn on TV-Stream Netflix or You Tube
back outta bed,,,,,time for a snack,,,cottage cheese or popcorn and a diet sprite, :happy
Continue watching Netflix,,,,
11:30,,,,outta bed,
Brush teeth
Back in bed,,,,
Say "Alexa Turn Off Tv,,,Alexa turn off lights,Alexa play Ocean Sounds.
Asleep in 15 minutes......
7:00am,,,,,Start Over,,,
:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
CULater

Post by CULater »

This part had me concerned:
Spouse and I went to Walmart ,as soon as we hit pickup area attendant
Be careful out there. :P