Life in retirement - what did you do today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
FireHorse

Life in retirement - what did you do today?

Post by FireHorse » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:47 pm

For those who are retired, would you like to share your day to day activities?
Also for those who are NEW to retirement, would you like to talk about how you adjust yourself from rat race to retirement life?
:beer

(I changed subject title hoping to get more responses.)
Last edited by FireHorse on Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlphaLess

Re: Life after FIRE

Post by AlphaLess » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:22 pm

When I read the title of this post, I rushed here to offer my condolences (as I thought your house caught fire).
I am guessing, FIRE means something else.
"You can get more with a kind word and a gun than with just a kind word." George Washington

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:37 pm

If you are on FIRE stop, drop, and roll.

Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:42 pm

FIRE means Financial Independence / Retire Early. The idea is to be financially frugal, save religiously, invest wisely and accumulate enough to walk away from it all before age 60 (?) if you want too.
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Life after FIRE [Financial Independence / Retire Early]

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:18 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum ( how we spend our money and our time).

I retitled the thread.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

flyingaway

Re: Life after FIRE [Financial Independence / Retire Early]

Post by flyingaway » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:33 am

I think I am FI, and I am in the 6th month of leave from my work. I have travelled to many countries and stayed with my parents. I travelled mostly solo, sometimes with my wife and friends. I am still not sure what will be my next step.

If I have to stay at home after FIRE, I might go back to work (teaching). For me, FIRE has to be out of home to do something that I cannot do with a non-demanding job (part of full time).

FireHorse

Re: Life in retirement - what did you do today?

Post by FireHorse » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:37 am

Changed subject title to reflect that the intent is for All who is retired.

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:43 am

I had a cup of tea. I read some. I read the news about the protest & riots over the weekend. I washed some dishes. I organised some files. I walked to the local barbershop. There was a queue so I went to a cafe and had a cup of coffee. I went back to the barbershop. Got my haircut. I walked home. I made some spring rolls for lunch. I listened to a podcast. I took a nap. I drove my scooter to Vietnamese class. I looked up prices for flights & hotels in Hanoi in July; a friend will there for work so we'll probably fly up. I logged into WellsFargo to see if there's anything world tax loss harvesting. I read Bogleheads & answered this question.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:45 am

So far today, I watered a small section of newly planted grass, changed the veggie garden watering timer from 5 min every six hours to ten minutes, and got a modest load of free logs from the leaf dump for firewood when it gets cold again.
I'm heading out shortly to cut those logs to size and stack them.

Later, I have plans to mow the front yard and possibly install my new LED undercounter light in the kitchen.
The fun never ends...
Attempted new signature...

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:51 am

AlohaJoe wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:43 am
I had a cup of tea. I read some. I read the news about the protest & riots over the weekend. I washed some dishes. I organised some files. I walked to the local barbershop. There was a queue so I went to a cafe and had a cup of coffee. I went back to the barbershop. Got my haircut. I walked home. I made some spring rolls for lunch. I listened to a podcast. I took a nap. I drove my scooter to Vietnamese class. I looked up prices for flights & hotels in Hanoi in July; a friend will there for work so we'll probably fly up. I logged into WellsFargo to see if there's anything world tax loss harvesting. I read Bogleheads & answered this question.
I have been in Saigon twice in the past 4 months and even visited some local families. A good place to spend some time.

CULater

Post by CULater » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:52 am

Retirement is a bore -- and then you die.
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:02 am

Got up. Rode bike for about 20 miles. Took shower. Made oatmeal for breakfast and did my abs workout at the same time. Walked dog. On dog walk, talked to 6 neighbors who were also out early. Made arrangements to test drive a Subaru Outback. Confirmed lunch appointment. Tidied house for the maids who come this afternoon. Friend coming over for coffee before lunch. Made grocery shopping list. Arranged dog sitter for my next vacation. Traded a few million dollars in ETFs. Wrote a bunch of posts on bogleheads.org. It's only 10 am my time, so lots more to do today.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:06 am

CULater wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:52 am
Retirement is a bore
Heh, you're doing it wrong.
The J stands for Jay

vested1

Post by vested1 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:10 am

My answer is always the same. Anything I want to, either spur of the moment, or with a well thought out plan.

I was talking with an acquaintance this weekend at a must-attend event. He is my age (66) and plans to work indefinitely. He told me that he couldn't imagine not having "something to do". In his case it was a not-so-subtle dig, and only one more in a long series.

Perhaps the most enjoyable aspect of retirement is the gift of free choice.

hirlaw

Post by hirlaw » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:11 am

I am 62 and retired after 37 years practicing law. I suppose I'm not fully retired in that I am employed part-time by our local MLB team as a tour guide (Go Stros!).

Not working today so I read the paper with coffee, browsed the web, watered newly planted plants, played with our dog. I am about to go to the gym and after will head to Barnes & Noble for ice tea and magazines. All in all a pretty nice lifestyle!

22twain

Post by 22twain » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:54 am

livesoft wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:02 am
Tidied house for the maids who come this afternoon.
Uh... aren't the maids supposed to do that? :shock:
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:55 am

22twain wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:54 am
livesoft wrote:
Yes, they are, but if you have ever been married, you should know how that really isn't ever the case.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

CedarWaxWing

Post by CedarWaxWing » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:01 am

livesoft wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:55 am
22twain wrote:
livesoft wrote:
Yes, they are, but if you have ever been married, you should know how that really isn't ever the case.
+1

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:05 am

Retired 17 months now. Today started with a doctor’s appointment at the sleep center, then two mile walk on the treadmill. Sitting at lunch now, then grocery shopping, followed by trying to get caught up on my home tasks (dishes, laundry, floors) with one arm. Cooking dinner will fall somewhere in there.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

GCD

Post by GCD » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:26 am

HomerJ wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:06 am
CULater wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:52 am
Retirement is a bore
Heh, you're doing it wrong.
Yup.

Dropped kids off at school and walked the dog with my wife in a local forest.
Scheduled Stairmaster repair.
Exercised 45 minutes.
Scheduled sailing lessons.
Confirmed final registration for a battle robot contest that my son is competing in this weekend.
Reviewed documents for a meeting with an attorney later this week.

This afternoon I have the following planned:

Practice pistol shooting for upcoming summer competitions
Run kids around to after school activities
Assist son with final robot prep
Continue reading a couple financial books
E-mail a friend the outline of a book I'm writing

That's just today.

This summer I am teaching my 2 kids a college level logic class. I'd never have the time to do that if I weren't retired. The whole family will learn to sail this summer. That's an entirely new activity for us.

In general my days are spent practicing shooting for bulleye competions, working out, taking college math and astronomy classes with a loose timeline of getting an MA in one or both subjects, financial stuff, teaching my kids stuff and supporting their activities and schoolwork.

I still mow the lawn, but we farm out all other household chores. Neither my wife nor I spend time on cleaning, car repair, whatever. We are too busy.

I don't know how I ever had time to work.

But if work keeps you from being bored... rock on with your bad self! :beer
Last edited by GCD on Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:26 am

Most days I go to McDonalds and get a Diet coke, coffee and a yogurt parfait. I had some minor surgery so am supposed to take it easy but it is day 11 - and I wanted to fix my garden. The guy on the lawn service motorized lawn mower totally destroys my lawn. Last year I had a new driveway installed and the guys dumped some water with concrete on the side of my lawn. So I got some lawn repair, seed and top soil from Home Depot. Then I repaired the patches and watered it frequently. A few days ago I discovered tracks of the motorized lawn mower on those patches! Last year I bought an interesting tree called dwarf picea orientalis (Skylands spruce) and planted it in the back where I had removed another tree.

So I dug up the spruce and transported it to the front yard where I have the bare patches, dug a hole and planted it. I also moved some of the soil and mulch to the front in my wheelbarrow. The balcony of the large house that was built recently overlooks my back yard. I removed some arbor vitae that I planted over 20 years ago as they were too large. I planted some new ones but they will take a few years to grow. We have a great nursery in my area so I've been shopping for more trees. Eventually I settled on a Colorado spruce. In Michigan we have a service called Miss Dig that locates utility lines. I think I'm in the clear - maybe. I had a plumbing company install a catch drain at the back of my property that goes into the city sewer at the front. I don't think that they will mark the lines for me but I know where it is and the tree planting service does not use power equipment. So I'll have to watch them like a hawk when they deliver the tree in a weeks time.

I'm also redoing part of my front yard. I may plant some more hosta around the Skylands spruce but decided it had better wait or the doctor will chew me out.

I had enrolled for a web design class at my local community college but I cancelled this when I discovered that they were using outdated software that I used at my megacorp 15 years ago. I plan to take Spanish at my local community college in the fall. They do not offer sufficient advanced classes. I suppose I should start to read Spanish newspapers and all of the books I have!

I have also been watching youtube videos on the development of the English language.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UqzBA1LNbE

I think that there are 8 one hour videos. I have also been watching youtube videos on some of the British monarch where my history was sketchy such as Edward VII, the Hanoverians, the Stuarts and the "Glorious Revolution". Well now to clean up from gardening and then study Spanish.

CedarWaxWing

Post by CedarWaxWing » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:28 am

Bed early, wake up really early and enjoy the early birds. Coffee and poached eggs cooked VERY slowly to keep them nicely intact and shapely. Read online NYT and WP.

Facebook for additional news posts by friends and a few photos of close friends near and far. Posted some articles as my only political advocating voice in the big world, hoping to make some minuscule difference (and doubting that I do but one never knows.. better than being silent about things that matter).

Installed discounted Office Pro 2016 which was a gift from my EE/CS son. Seems to work better than the old versions I had for my needs at least.

Moved a few files to a server he built for me.

Reviewing a few tasks to to get ready to sell a remodeling project home (our first purchased home that we also used as a rental for a few decades.. doing a super job to pass it on as a home to live in rather than rent.)

Getting ready for an short trip to Black Butte in Oregon with friends and 2 of my 3 sons soon... to a house we really enjoy a lot.. right on the golf course. Ask for pictures in a pm if you like.

Will take DW to a clinic to get a streptococci swab check on her persistent sore throat this am. (Been pestering her to get this done for 3 days now...)

Do some cedar kayak repair on my Pygmy Coho sea kayak.

Pursuing Bogleheads.org now of course... I like to collect tidbits to sent to a couple of friends who want a little help on personal finance... I tend to give sources of wisdom and books rather than specific recommendations, until they have at least read a couple of my usual referenced books (which I loan out in large amounts).

Need to meet with an analyst to review some of his work on software pertinent to the field I retired from .. he is freelancing it and wants some feedback.

Check on my 95 y/o MIL (wife usually does so daily but is ill at this time) who is in a so called "family home"... needs 24 hours assistance and we just cannot be up 24 hours a day anymore. Still.. none of these homes are what they should be... run by not that educated people who hire people who do not always know how to properly care for the elderly or other fragile people. Seeing her daily keeps them on their toes, and us in a position to influence the care MIL gets. Trust me... The regulations by our state protect the businesses who own the homes more than they protect the elderly folks getting the care.

CedarWaxWing

Post by CedarWaxWing » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:33 am

duplicate deleted
Last edited by CedarWaxWing on Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:37 am

Retired 8 years. Today, I cleared and cut some brush for trash pickup, mowed grass, will do laundry and will facilitate in a ministry I serve in tonight. If I have time, I will review estate documents drafted by our attorney.

Not all days are this busy. But it is surprising the little projects that pop up in retirement. I do not know how I would have done those when working.

I enjoy leisure time but it needs to be counter balanced with other activities like volunteering handyman stuff and so forth.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:38 am

Lynette wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:26 am
...I plan to take Spanish at my local community college in the fall. They do not offer sufficient advanced classes. I suppose I should start to read Spanish newspapers and all of the books I have!
There are a few Spanish language TV stations here and I assume in your area also.
Watching Spanish soap operas is probably one way to learn the language.
sscritic does this with Chinese soap operas...

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:47 am

livesoft wrote:
22twain wrote:
livesoft wrote:
I lost that battle as soon it started. At least I now know that I am not alone. Ask me how often have I heard "We have to clean the house because maid is coming tomorrow". Answer: "EVERY SINGLE TIME"

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:51 am

Since you wrote this yesterday, Sunday, I will write what I did (beyond being on Bogleheads some).
I am in my 20th year in retirement, soon to be 85. Retirement has been good. Yesterday, after sleeping in late, I made coffee and prepared pancakes and link sausages for my wife and me, complete with good maple syrup and coffee. Rain (finally) was forecast so I put out my late spring lawn fertilizer to my half acre lot. By golly, the rains did come that evening with 2 inches over night. Wonderful.
I took my Old English Sheepdog, Riviera, for a 2 mile walk. After bringing her home, I went on another 3 mile faster paced walk by myself. The temp was in the late 80s, but it felt much hotter. I came home pooped, had a cold drink, then went shopping for some new dog food. My Sheepie reached 7 last month so I looked for a "Senior Large Breed" feed. This breed usually has later in life hip problems, so this was to hopefully help delay that. I found one and she likes it.
At 6:30 made my wife a Martini and, for me, a Rob Roy (a Scotch Manhattan) and heated up a batch of BBQ chicken wings as an appetizer. I cooked a steak on the grill and my wife completed the rest of the fixings. That all did me in for the day.
Today, Monday, beyond reading 2 newspapers, taking the dog for a short walk, and feeding my gold fish (the pond is 45 years old....the fish aren't though) I am goofing off, except I vacuum on Mondays. (Maids? Never had one. Sounds great!) I did look over my flower and vegetable garden and saw the rain had picked them up greatly. I will be going for another long walk again shortly, though, as the rains appear to have stopped. The wife is doing the laundry.
Nothing else is planned today.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

GCD

Post by GCD » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:03 pm

wrongfunds wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:47 am
livesoft wrote:
22twain wrote:
livesoft wrote:
I lost that battle as soon it started. At least I now know that I am not alone. Ask me how often have I heard "We have to clean the house because maid is coming tomorrow". Answer: "EVERY SINGLE TIME"
But are you guys actually cleaning or are you prepping for the maid to clean? If there are papers or other things laying about I want those things to go where they belong, not where the maid thinks they go. Because my office is in eternal disarray the maid is not allowed to clean in here. I got tired of stuff being moved real quick.

Maids can even manage to misplace the TV remote...

cfs

Post by cfs » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:04 pm

What did I do today? It is now 0955 local time. Took care of my fast-paced LUng Distance workout, said a prayer for peace during my workout, also during the workout I stopped at one corner about two miles from home to have nice talk about Creation with two good friends, returned home, washed my workout gear, swept and swabbed the floor, washed the dishes, cleaned the kitchen, shower time, cleaned the bathrooms, posted a reply to a what did you do today question on the BH website. All this before 1000 today. To all Members of the Active Retired Force, good luck, y gracias por leer ~cfs~
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

CULater

Post by CULater » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:07 pm

My standard of fulfillment in retirement is that I'd be so busy I wouldn't have any time to mess with the forum... Not working out so far.
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

sil2017

Post by sil2017 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:21 pm

I’m retired for almost a year now . I woke up at 4 am , played and fed my 2 dogs . I read my emails and news for the day . At 5:30 I jogged 45 minutes . I showered , walked my dogs for two miles then made myself a healthy breakfast . I washed my car and am about to go for a massage. I probably will watch a movie in the afternoon.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:23 pm

The Wizard wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:38 am
Lynette wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:26 am
...I plan to take Spanish at my local community college in the fall. They do not offer sufficient advanced classes. I suppose I should start to read Spanish newspapers and all of the books I have!
There are a few Spanish language TV stations here and I assume in your area also.
Watching Spanish soap operas is probably one way to learn the language.
sscritic does this with Chinese soap operas...
Thanks - I've have DISH Spanish channels and I've been watching the soaps for years - if they do not annoy me too much. I was trained as a Latin teacher so grammar is really easy for me. I'm too advanced for some of the Spanish classes that the community colleges offer - well more advanced than some of the students who don't know that an adjective has to agree with a noun in gender and number. I will retake the third semester this fall and have to wait till the winter for the fourth semester.

I know that I can learn vocabulary by myself but there aren't many Spanish-speaking people where I live. I guess the next step will be to take immersion classes in another country such as Guatemala or get a teacher in another country via Skype.

delamer

Post by delamer » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:26 pm

22twain wrote:
livesoft wrote:

No.

Maids are supposed to clean things, not tidy up after you.

They can’t clean if there is stuff around. If you leave you clothes all over the bedroom floor, how is a maid supposed to vacuum it properly?
Last edited by delamer on Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:26 pm

Got up at 9, went to the gym and work out for 1.5 hrs. Have lunch, spend few minutes on BH.
Now going to the bank and library.
Than work on my art portfolio for fun. Maybe plan our month long trip overseas in the fall.

CULater

Post by CULater » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:31 pm

Our culture has low regard for two kinds of people: people who don't have jobs (unless they are rich), and old people. Unfortunately, retirement is usually a combination of both of these things. Travel at your own risk.

siamond

Post by siamond » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:33 pm

Been early retired for 4 years now -- geez, ALREADY? WHERE DID THE TIME GO???

This morning, I quietly read e-mails, BH forum and news while slowly eating breakfast. Then I went to the gym and worked out with a friend. She has a bit of an issue at home, I'll take time to think on how to help. We planned to go kayaking later this week.

During lunch, I exchanged a few thoughts about net-present-value and SSA with another would-be-retiree from the forum. He asked me about a specific question about something I do for myself, this forced me to rethink the topic to provide an articulate answer. Helped me to refresh and reinforce my reasoning, actually. Memory isn't working as well as it used to be, it's good to put stuff in writing.

This afternoon, there will be more quiet time. I am a bit tired about a 3 weeks fishing/road trip, followed by a week-end in DC to visit potential colleges for my younger son. I need to sort and upload all my pictures, manage various small TODOs which accumulated while I was traveling, and will probably watch a few extracts of the Roland Garros tennis final, even if I know the winner by now (freaking social media, can't escape the news!).

Freedom makes life good.

fposte

Post by fposte » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:05 pm

wrongfunds wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:47 am
livesoft wrote:
22twain wrote:
livesoft wrote:
Hey, I live alone and I do that. The cleaner has a finite amount of time, and I'd rather she spend it on stuff I really don't want to do than on putting my things in places I would never think of looking for them.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:11 pm

Yesterday, I was flying from Denver to Washington, DC. The flight departure was changed from 4:30pm to 5:11pm, then to 6pm, then to 8pm, then to an indefinite time with a strong possibility of cancellation, and finally to 9:49pm.

There were over a hundred angry, agitated and nervous people. And there was a retired me who did not care much.

The flight has eventually arrived to DCA at 3:30 in the morning. A hundred people had to caffeinate themselves for a grueling Monday at work. And a retired me allowed myself to sleep in and visit the Bogleheads while leisurely drinking my morning tea.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

chevca

Post by chevca » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:25 pm

Is this place turning into Facebook now? What is a consumer issue, finance, or investing related about this?

midareff

Post by midareff » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:51 pm

Lets pickup after all the daily news stuff...................

I'd love too...... I went to CVS to get some more small pill packs and some wifey stuff since we are leaving Friday and have about 15 hours to our destination, Odessa in the Ukraine. We have started packing and I handle our medications, cameras, cells, charging equipment, ground excursions and so forth. It's a Viking River Cruise from Odessa to Kiev. Made sure our cells have relevant (off line) Ukraine city maps, currency converters and English to Ukrainian language converters. I made sure we had reserved seats for the MIA to Vienna leg (10+ hours) and will check the Vienna to Odessa leg later as its only 2 hours and a few minutes.

We took the suitcases we use down from the closet after the maid left. I'm charging her selfie stick as I write. I've rechecked the scheduled $$ transfers that will occur after we leave as I have to pay for our December trip after debarkation. I'm trying to finalize the electrical hookups we will carry..... for for charging cells and tablets, camera and a hookup for a CPAP on ship. Luggage tag checks and such.

Will review the 14 day weather forecasts again later for last minute packing guidance for jackets, sweaters and lighter gear.

Have to re tag suitcases later, already called the CC companies this AM to advise of travel schedule. Wife is already trying stuff on and packing. Expected weather is mid to upper 80's with mid 60's to low 60's night. Picked that right .... LOL.

Since we travel 4 - 6 times yearly none of this new. This is a shorter trip... 12 days .. so we try and pack and carry as light as possible while still meeting our needs.

Well.............. you asked.

Oh yeah, went to the local boox=ze store for another bottle of Aberfeldy 12.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:02 pm

midareff wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:51 pm
I went to CVS to get some more small pill packs and some wifey stuff since we are leaving Friday and have about 15 hours to our destination, Odessa in the Ukraine. We have started packing and I handle our medications, cameras, cells, charging equipment, ground excursions and so forth. It's a Viking River Cruise from Odessa to Kiev. Made sure our cells have relevant (off line) Ukraine city maps, currency converters and English to Ukrainian language converters. I made sure we had reserved seats for the MIA to Vienna leg (10+ hours) and will check the Vienna to Odessa leg later as its only 2 hours and a few minutes.
Please tell us about your cruise from Odessa to Kiev. (And please send me a PM so that I won't miss it).

Have a great trip.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:03 pm

Not to paint a non rosy picture but it's not always rainbows and flowers. My mother is 85 and she is in pretty decent health for her age. She worked until she was in her 70's (selling real estate) and this allowed her to constantly be busy and talking to other people. She now lives in an apartment with a bunch of other gray hairs and really doesn't have anything to do for the majority of the day. She doesn't like watching TV, she doesn't like coloring, she does like to read but you can only do so much of that, she goes for coffee in the morning to the local restaurant, she only feels comfortable driving in he small town during the day,etc. This leaves her with about 10 hours per day with nothing to do. During the winter, it's even worse but she doesn't feel like at her age she can just pick up and leave. It's sad to say but it's almost like at this point in her life she is waiting around to die.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:28 pm

This morning I mostly pouted over the rain (hadn't been forecasted) that ended plans to bike. Went to the library to pick up a book, read some of it there, got bored and returned it. Chatted with a friend there and we agreed to meet for lunch on Thursday. Back home, still raining, logged on to this forum, read of livesoft's morning bike ride, pouting again.
Last edited by Fallible on Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

HongKonger

Post by HongKonger » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:30 pm

Retired 5 years now mid 40s:
Got up and fed all my 40-odd rescue cats then had breakfast.
Loaded the cement mixer up and then the electricity went off so I walked to the village square for some shopping.
Came home and decided to tidy up my little vineyard so spent 2 hours at that.
A friend came by around lunchtime so we cracked open a bottle of wine she had brought in exchange for veggies from the garden. She left, I collected fruit from my trees before another friend swung by to barter my fruit for his chickens eggs.
Kitty dinner time ...then I watched the news for an hour, decided on dinner, and sat in the garden listening to the evening birdsong.
Dinner is cooking and I am on here.
Hopefully I can get back to cement making in the morning ..but days like today are a pleasure. I really love my life.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:41 pm

HongKonger wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:30 pm
...Hopefully I can get back to cement making in the morning...
Where will this cement go once it's made?
I have a cement (concrete actually) mixer also and need to get busy and put forms in place for my expanded backyard shed...

celia

Post by celia » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:43 pm

Last week:
Tuesday was an election day for us and I was in charge of a precinct a half hour away so I was gone 19 hours that day (open to voters 13 hours, 1 hour setup, 2 hours closing and counting ballots, 2 hours dropping everything off and getting back home, 1 hour travel). On the days leading up to it, we said goodby to a house guest, went to church, and prepared for the election (inventory that you got all the supplies and that they are coded for your precinct and assembled some stuff). Helped DH get ready for his precinct too, which is in our neighborhood.

Wednesday, slept in, went online to see the election results, replied to phone messages that had been left and drove step-mom to hair appointment as their caregiver's car broke down.

Thursday, washed the car since I had to park under a messy tree with lots of droppings and birds in it during the election, as I parked close to the building I was assigned to. We walked for a late lunch, then shopped for glasses.

Friday, walked up to the place where I ordered glasses, was going to get a haircut but ran out of time, but went with someone to a doctor's appointment, and stopped at the dollar store.

The last couple of days have been spent on furthering our plans for an upcoming trip. We finally booked our last stop on AirBnb after some back-and-forth with a host in a high-demand city. (Others were looking at the same place on the same date we were but we ended up with it.) Did prep for Father's Day with siblings and shared travel plans so we aren't all gone at the same time. I've been helping others in obtaining genealogy records we will photograph during our travels.

GCD

Post by GCD » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:07 pm

dsmclone wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:03 pm
Not to paint a non rosy picture but it's not always rainbows and flowers. My mother is 85 and she is in pretty decent health for her age. She worked until she was in her 70's (selling real estate) and this allowed her to constantly be busy and talking to other people. She now lives in an apartment with a bunch of other gray hairs and really doesn't have anything to do for the majority of the day. She doesn't like watching TV, she doesn't like coloring, she does like to read but you can only do so much of that, she goes for coffee in the morning to the local restaurant, she only feels comfortable driving in he small town during the day,etc. This leaves her with about 10 hours per day with nothing to do. During the winter, it's even worse but she doesn't feel like at her age she can just pick up and leave. It's sad to say but it's almost like at this point in her life she is waiting around to die.
Can you help her move into a retirement home with more options? Something in between where she is now and The Villages? I agree that the arts & crafts type activities in some retirement homes are horrid.

CULater

Post by CULater » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:08 pm

Very interesting to hear what folks are doing. Wonder what age most of you are. I have the the feeling that the 60s are pretty good with activities and maybe early 70s. How many are still on the move older than that? Seems like the mid-70s are the watershed and things slow down a lot then.

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:18 pm

CULater wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:08 pm
Very interesting to hear what folks are doing. Wonder what age most of you are. I have the the feeling that the 60s are pretty good with activities and maybe early 70s. How many are still on the move older than that? Seems like the mid-70s are the watershed and things slow down a lot then.
I'm 73; wife is 71. Today:
- she got up early and went to yoga class
- I stayed in bed until 7:30, read the paper, fed the dog, drank coffee, had breakfast. Went to the gym for a reasonably vigorous 1 hour workout and did some stretching. Came home and called Viking (cruise line) to change the return flight from Barcelona (debarkation point for a cruise in Oct) by a few days so we can have extra time in Barcelona. After lunch I worked on coordinating cruise plans with one of the 2 other couples we're going with. Then I folded a little laundry that my wife had kindly done.
- both of us took the dog for a walk near the water
- I watered the plants on our front porch and rear deck.
- now I'm writing a BH post and will probably sit down with a book shortly. I will probably get about 3 pages into the book and will likely doze off
- later I plan to watch the BBC America news followed by network news. We'll have dinner; I'll do the dishes that don't go in the dishwasher. We'll watch an hour or so of TV plus check in a couple of times on the Red Sox game. About 10:00 I'll walk the dog for the last time, read in bed for a half hour or so and that will be it.

Tomorrow is going to be much busier though.
Friar1610

RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:24 pm

CULater wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:08 pm
sheepdog is 85.

Maybe people just keep going as fast as they can and it looks like they are slowing down.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The calvary isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.