Porsche Macan

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
stlrick

Porsche Macan

Post by stlrick » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:53 am

I'm going to buy a Porche Macan S, probably when the 2019 models are available. I can afford it and I will enjoy it, so those are not the questions.

For the past 20 years or so, my wife and I have owned Subaru's, Acura's, and Audi's. My unverified impression is that the style of negotiating in a Porsche dealership is a bit different, and I'd like some help in understanding it.

The Macan is a hot car. My impression is that, in general, there is less negotiation in a Porsche dealership than I am used to elsewhere. Should I expect to be able to get much under sticker price? There are an incredible number of options when buying a Porsche, and I've read that the dealer mark-up on options is better than their mark-up on the base car. Might that be a strategy for negotiation?

Second, given the number of options and the probability that there will not be many cars on the lot, I'm expecting that I might want to special order a car. I've never done that before. Does it make it easier or harder to negotiate the price?

Any insights into how things work in what for me will be a foreign land would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

Toons

Re: Porsche Macan

Post by Toons » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:02 am

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

multiham

Post by multiham » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:09 am

Love your choice in cars!

My experience goes all the way back to 2009 so not sure it is still relevant. Wanted a Boxster S and thought it was going to be like any other car negotiation I had ever done. I would start by offering at least 10% off sticker price and then play the game of offer/counter offer. I was totally unprepared when the sales person wouldn't even take my offer to his manager. His comment to me was "We have people come in everyday and buy $100,000+ cars for cash with no negotiation. Why would we want to offer you a large discount to take a desired car off our lot?" He explained that the only cars he would deal on were the ones that had packages/colors that were causing them to sit at the dealership for a long time. What I did appreciate was that he was not condescending, but instead just being truthful about the situation. He did say there were times where Porsche was offering programs and promised to call me when the next one came up.

I thought that this situation might be dealer specific, but ran into almost the identical story at the other 2 local Porsche dealerships. I ended up buying a BMW as they were able to get a price down into my budget area. Still want a Porsche, but know that getting a deal on a new one is probably difficult.

GuyFromGeorgia

Post by GuyFromGeorgia » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:33 am

Check and see if you can find a dealer that is part of the Costco car buying network. The price would be negotiated for you. You pick color, trim/package, etc and then you should hopefully get matched with a dealer.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:51 am

Toons wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:02 am
Offer 50 :happy
https://rick-hill.porschedealer.com/inv ... AQQAvD_BwE
If they'll accept a 30%+ discount, I'm going to go buy one myself.

Toons

Post by Toons » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:53 am

lazydavid wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:51 am
Toons wrote:
If they'll accept a 30%+ discount, I'm going to go buy one myself.
If that is the case,,,His and Hers..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:05 pm

I equate Porsche options like 1950's Chevys. You want a different wheel, it's an option. You want that wheel in a different color, it's an added option. You want the Porsche crest painted, another option. You want the crest painted in an alternate way, another option.

It is not uncommon to look at a car on the dealer floor and see the fully optioned price to be double what the base car goes for. This isn't like a Subaru where you get a base, premium or limited, decide color and whether you want a moon roof. The options list is longer than the entire Subaru brochure.

I believe you can do European delivery. This would get you a set price and you could order the car without $50k in additional options. I know that with BMW, the European delivery saves you a set % on msrp and includes shipping and a # of days insurance in Germany.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:39 pm

Go on line, both to pricing web sites and also to owners forums (which typically have "What did you pay? Where are you located" threads). Figure out a good price for your part of the country, offer it to your dealer, and be prepared to walk - repeatedly.

A Porsche is typically a "gotta have it" purchase. Dealers know this, and they are prepared to let you walk (unless you have an honest alternative offer from another dealer). You need to find a dealer who wants to sell a Porsche as much as you want to buy one; then at least it is a fair negotiation.

phisher4

Post by phisher4 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:44 pm

If you aren't fastidiously picky with your options, send a professionally-crafted E-mail to 20+ dealerships within a reasonable radius.

State that you want their best "out the door" price (including tax and tags), for a car with the criteria you want.

I can vouch that this works for Lexus, Volvo, and Mercedes in my region, and I have saved thousands with this method by not using my local dealer. I haven't tried for Porsche. It's worth a 45 minute drive to save a few thousand bucks, IMHO.

Wricha

Post by Wricha » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:22 pm

Personally bought a few Porsche. Great cars, unfortunately 2%-3% off list will be the best you will do. Even that, will not come easy. Go to a smaller dealership avoid big places (Miami, New York). See what that dealer has allocated from factory this is where you might get your discount. Or take delivery in Germany get a few perks and doesn’t cost anything extra. Visit factory and museum real nice. Once you mention a factory delivery you might get your discount to forget about it as it somehow cost the dealer money.

investor997

Post by investor997 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:32 pm

A friend of mine just bought a Macan. He custom ordered it. He started by sending an email to all dealerships in the area stating his intentions and listing the exact build options he wanted, then asked each dealership to quote him. In the end, one dealership beat out all the others in terms of price and that's who he ordered it from.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:35 pm

Audi Q5 3.0T instead. VW->Audi->Porsche.

stlrick

Post by stlrick » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:25 pm

investor997 wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:32 pm
A friend of mine just bought a Macan. He custom ordered it. He started by sending an email to all dealerships in the area stating his intentions and listing the exact build options he wanted, then asked each dealership to quote him. In the end, one dealership beat out all the others in terms of price and that's who he ordered it from.
My impressions were confirmed. Lots of good advice. I like this one. Fits my style and objectives well.

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:18 am

Toons wrote:
I will throw my hat into the ring as well.

I will wait until they have a 90% discount.
"You can get more with a kind word and a gun than with just a kind word." George Washington

tmcc

Post by tmcc » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:51 am

if you buy new, discounts are trivial at best.

imo, find an adult owned private seller on ebay or cargurus that has the options you want. be patient. you'll have substantially the same car for much less than MSRP. dealers always screw people hard on trade value. there is substantial ground to play with as a private buyer.

anecdotally, i did this recently with a cayman S which i just sold late last year.

after searching for months, eventually, i found one optioned the way I wanted in the color i wanted. the counterparty needed needed the car gone.. i put 10k miles on it over 2 years and resold it for not quite $500 more than I bought it for net of regular maint.

pivoprussia

Post by pivoprussia » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:04 am

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:35 pm
Audi Q5 3.0T instead. VW->Audi->Porsche.
I traded in my Audi SQ5 for a Macan Turbo. Both great cars but the Porsche is on a different level.

As far as negotiating, Porsche sells far fewer cars than most auto makers. Therefore do not expect the same discounts.

That said, I got 10k off my macan because it was end of model year. Also, the GTS had greater demand than the Turbo, which makes
no sense to me. The demand has caused to GTS to be similar in pricing yet is a slower Macan.

My macan is now about 9 months old and its value has held up incredibly well. Trade-in would be 5-7k less than I paid.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:44 am

tmcc wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:51 am

imo, find an adult owned private seller on ebay or cargurus that has the options you want. be patient. you'll have substantially the same car for much less than MSRP. dealers always screw people hard on trade value. there is substantial ground to play with as a private buyer.

anecdotally, i did this recently with a cayman S which i just sold late last year.

after searching for months, eventually, i found one optioned the way I wanted in the color i wanted. the counterparty needed needed the car gone.. i put 10k miles on it over 2 years and resold it for not quite $500 more than I bought it for net of regular maint.
Is there a rash of child owned Porsches going around?

midareff

Post by midareff » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:48 am

stlrick wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:53 am
I'm going to buy a Porche Macan S, probably when the 2019 models are available. I can afford it and I will enjoy it, so those are not the questions.

For the past 20 years or so, my wife and I have owned Subaru's, Acura's, and Audi's. My unverified impression is that the style of negotiating in a Porsche dealership is a bit different, and I'd like some help in understanding it.

The Macan is a hot car. My impression is that, in general, there is less negotiation in a Porsche dealership than I am used to elsewhere. Should I expect to be able to get much under sticker price? There are an incredible number of options when buying a Porsche, and I've read that the dealer mark-up on options is better than their mark-up on the base car. Might that be a strategy for negotiation?

Second, given the number of options and the probability that there will not be many cars on the lot, I'm expecting that I might want to special order a car. I've never done that before. Does it make it easier or harder to negotiate the price?

Any insights into how things work in what for me will be a foreign land would be greatly appreciated.

Rick
Having had two new Porsches (both to order cars) and now a special order AMG 63S that's 2.5 months old I found it is entirely up to the dealer so don't be afraid to drive a few miles to get a deal. My local dealers (8) are owned by 2 companies so the best deal was $1K off and we don't want your trade so a super low ball. I eshopped and got almost $6K off and a CarMax match on the trade, with sales tax and a few other goodies a nearly $10K better off deal. If they want the sale they will make the deal. The internet is your friend, build your car and ask for quotes.
Last edited by midareff on Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Malinois000

Post by Malinois000 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:50 am

I purchased a 2017 Macan GTS in 2016 for my wife. I'm not a huge fan of spending a lot of hard earned money which could be growing in Vanguard funds on quickly depreciating expensive cars but my wife would not accept no for an answer. After spending quite a bit of time on the Macan forum, we offered what I felt was a good percentage reduction from the base price and options. We were paying cash and had researched what customers were paying - I advised that I was not interested in a bunch of games do you want to do business or not...if not, someone will. They accepted the offer (which tells me a paid too much - lol). It took another two or thee months if I can recall for the vehicle to arrive as we carefully decided every single option on that vehicle. Anyway, it's a fabulous vehicle - you and your wife will love it. We've owned for 2 years now and only have 7,000 miles on the car so you can see we don't drive that often. It is badass!! It's our weekend, valet our car, "date" vehicle for the most part. Good luck.

carguyny

Post by carguyny » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:37 am

You should get some form of discount on an S, Turbo discounts are a little better. We've had both an S and Turbo, much preferred the Turbo - not so much for the extra power but the fit & finish was much better. The Macan is very much a built to budget product - the materials and finish is below that of more expensive models.

The best path to getting a discount is often a referral from a good customer at the dealer vs walking in off the street.

I honestly don't negotiate, my dealer knows I'm very loyal to them and also buy parts for my Porsche race car from them. They always give me some form of discount, but I couldn't even tell you what it was off a Cayenne we picked up this year as I didn't ask. I'll spend $700k with them this year and also connected them with a friend that will spend similar - I'm fortunate enough to get the very hard to get cars from them which generally appreciate in value.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:25 am

Malinois000 wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:50 am
It's our weekend, valet our car, "date" vehicle for the most part. Good luck.
As someone who has found out the hard way that there is often no recourse when a valet steals or destroys your car, I strongly advise against this.

baguette

Post by baguette » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:35 am

We just took delivery of our Macan GTS. There was essentially no negotiation possible, maybe 2-3%, but we did get a good offer on our trade that helped. Good luck!

Baguette

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:41 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:05 pm
I believe you can do European delivery. This would get you a set price and you could order the car without $50k in additional options. I know that with BMW, the European delivery saves you a set % on msrp and includes shipping and a # of days insurance in Germany.
Porsche does offer European delivery, but there's no discount for it.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:39 am

I just looked and my local Porsche dealer has 77 Macans (34 S models) in inventory right now so not that scarce. I did this because I've noticed they have multiple lots filled with unsold new vehicles and lease returns located a few blocks away from the dealership.

I'd negotiate just like at any other dealer. You will have less leverage if you order for sure.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:51 am

lazydavid wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:25 am
Malinois000 wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:50 am
It's our weekend, valet our car, "date" vehicle for the most part. Good luck.
As someone who has found out the hard way that there is often no recourse when a valet steals or destroys your car, I strongly advise against this.
There was a thread recently about a valet totalling a Tesla Model 6. Good stuff.

Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:16 am

stlrick wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:53 am

Rick
Ordered a Macan Turbo in March 2015 and received it in June. I has only 11k miles and not for an instant have I regreted buying it. In fact, I'm looking at 991.2's right now.

Porsche negotiating is a PITA. They act like they are doing you a favor - and in some cases they really are. But not with a Macan.

My Macan has lots of options, one reason perhaps (along with the iminent change in model year) I got a 3% discount. Nick Murray has some thoughts...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0Q5ReCw5Gs

Decide what goodies you want to hang on you car, bearing in mind that with the S trim and above, none of them are necessary. Then fax a pdf spreadsheet of the options, code, prices, and your required discount to as many dealers as you would deem ultimately worth visiting. Let the dealer come back with cars from their lot which "nearly" meet your requirements. Then ask for another 1-2%.

There is lots of Macan inventory now and Porsche sales reps now only get to sell 1-2 911's a month split up among all the reps at the dealership, so thelr snooty attitude is a complete bluff. Find a rep that won't obviously lie to you and give him/her your business when they respond with a reasonable price.

And you need to disavow your impression that the Macan is a hot car. Porsche are EXPERTS at extracting money from the wallets of quivering fanboys who have grown up with 911 posters plastered all over their childhood rooms. Get happy with a Q5, a GLA, an X3, or even an RX before you ever show your eager face at a Porsche dealership. Take your time too.

pennylane

Post by pennylane » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:19 am

I was a finance manager in a high line store that owns all of the above dealerships. I am very familiar with all of those brands you mention.

Audi depending on the model and how new it is you can expect a 0-8% discount on a new car. (If it’s a new model you’re probably at around 0-2%)

Subaru 3-8%

Porsche 0-3% (many are not discounted, very low production cars you will pay over sticker price)

For example a Porsche 918 has a sticker price of about 800k, you’d be lucky to purchase it for 1.5Mill (you have to be invited to purchase)

Porsche is a great brand with fantastic cars, don’t compare it to the other brands you’ve dealt with, it’s a different ball game)

tmcc

Post by tmcc » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:36 pm

Bacchus01 wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:44 am
tmcc wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:51 am

Is there a rash of child owned Porsches going around?
depends on the market. down in so fla, yes, yes there is.

3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:00 am

Just order the exact car you want via the Porsche website and have it delivered to your local dealer, or better yet, pick it up in Europe. I’ve ordered cars for the past 20 years and have not negotiated with a dealer for at least that long. I ordered my Macan and got exactly what I wanted, picked it up in Leipzig and shipped it home. Best car I’ve ever owned by far. A joy to drive and runs like a Swiss watch.