Death - Prediction

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
B4Xt3r

Re: Death - Prediction

Post by B4Xt3r » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:00 pm

pondering wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:33 pm
B4Xt3r wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:23 am
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/mortality/lewk3.htm

Using the above data, I project a year of death + standard deviation. I have no reason to believe I won't be similar to the average.
Great link, thanks
NP.

OP, look at the fifth column in the data sheets contained within my link. Expectation of life at age x.

For instance, using the 2011 averages, a newborn white non-hispanic males have an average lifespan of 76.4 years. However, sampling males that reach retirement age of 66 on average live nearly six years longer 83.1. (Of course, individuals are not averages, I may not have been given the time to finish this post. Let's see.)

B4Xt3r

Post by B4Xt3r » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:00 pm

^ Phew, looks like I made it.

Tamalak

Post by Tamalak » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:01 pm

I don't intend to die at all. I think any plan, retirement or otherwise, that necessitates my death is insanity.

sens.org

We are made of stuff. Stuff can be fixed.

Riley15

Post by Riley15 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:03 pm

So to sum it all up. I thought Bogleheads were against Market Timing and here we are making Death Predictions. The irony is too much! :happy

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:06 pm

mouses wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:37 pm
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:30 pm
You point the finger at pharmaceuticals, just remember though, those same companies are the ones actually taking the risks to discover these molecules that save your life, the others, well they are just "fluff".
I used to believe that stuff about the staggering price increases being needed to cover research costs. Then the NYTimes wrote an article and included pharma employees laughing about how they had jacked up the price of an end of life cancer med to $100,000 a month from something comparatively minor. Also look at the Epipen and PharmaBro.

Note also that taxpayers are funding some of that research.

I have no doubt the supply chain has all sorts of profiteering going on, but a giant part of it is the corrupt pharmaceutical companies, of that I have no doubt.
Please don't go beyond the original question. I think that this thread could be important to some Your comments and similar ones could cause this thread to be shut and that would be a shame.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:09 pm

tampaite wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:28 pm
At what age do you think you'll die and how much money would you intend to leave behind for your kids and spouse?
I think I'll die at age 87 year, 3 months, and 12 days, give or take 35 years or so.

I intend to leave 100% of my money to my spouse. The kids will most likely get 50% of her money each when she dies.
This is a rhetoric question but I hope to spark debate about saving, living and then leaving inheritance behind.
What kind of debate did you have in mind? I'll take the "against" side.
We have lots of discussion around "I want $x before I turn Y" that we seem to forget life can end at anytime.
Who forgets that life can end at any time? I've never met anyone like that.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:14 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:42 am
A bigger picture question that everyone in Boglehead forum should ask is

Is my investment plan too complex for my spouse?
Yes.
Can my spouse handle the financial aspect if I cannot do it?
No she probably couldn't.
But that's one of the reasons we have a financial adviser.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:18 pm

Riley15 wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:03 pm
So to sum it all up. I thought Bogleheads were against Market Timing and here we are making Death Predictions. The irony is too much! :happy
Predicting and acting upon it are different entities. I haven't seen a post yet from anyone predicting they wouldn't make it through the weekend so they are spending everything today.

It's all fun and games until you start betting on the outcome :sharebeer

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:22 pm

wm631 wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:02 pm
But I remember an old episode of "Lassie" as a kid. Grandpa was cleaning out the gutters, or fixing the barn roof or something. The ladder fell. Grandpa spent the rest of the show clinging to the rafters (at one point he cried out "I'm too old to die ...") Lassie had to come in at the end and save him.

Please be sure your next-of-kin affairs are taken care of for your wife before your next, um, excellent adventure.
Or at least get a dog.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:24 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:18 pm
I haven't seen a post yet from anyone predicting they wouldn't make it through the weekend so they are spending everything today.
Yup, that would be an interesting post to read.

Hulu

Post by Hulu » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:30 pm

An actuarial that knows me personally could probably give the best answer. I'd rather concentrate on right this second :)

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:41 pm

89, based on the average of my parents.
Friar1610

Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:43 pm

Father is 90
Mother is 85
Both in fairly good health

I’m shooting for 100!
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:48 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (not a consumer issue, not actionable as a personal investor, no progress in the discussion). See: Personal Consumer Issues
This subforum is focused on making informed decisions about consumer goods and services (other than investing or financial).

Acceptable topics include:

- consumer goods and services (e.g., dress shirts, laptops, software)
- home maintenance
- vehicle purchases and maintenance
- leisure and recreational activities: travel, sports, entertainment

Note that topics must be directly connected to your (or your friend's or family's) life as a consumer. General comments or complaints about these topics will be removed.

Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.