Sacramento Home Owners - House Areas/Questions

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
HardHitter
Posts: 449
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:41 pm

Sacramento Home Owners - House Areas/Questions

Post by HardHitter » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:30 am

Wife and I are thinking about buying a place in the Sacramento area but have little to no insight on what areas to look in at the moment. A friend of mine just moved to El Dorado Hills and suggested there and/or Granite Bay. Had a few questions for those who know the area:

1. What are "good" areas of Sacramento. We are looking at safe. peaceful areas with good neighbors and good public schools. Something maybe "secluded" but nothing more than 10-15 minutes away from everything (entertainment, costco/grocery stores, malls, etc)
2. We know that Sacramento can get hot in comparison to the coast. My friend said most homes will have solar and if not, to estimate $35-$40K for a system. How much would you say are monthly utilities during a month running AC and such?

Anything else we should know about Sacramento? If you've moved there, where did you move from and what are your thoughts?

LarryAllen
Posts: 1075
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:41 am
Location: State of Confusion

Re: Sacramento Home Owners - House Areas/Questions

Post by LarryAllen » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:40 am

I have several friends in the greater Sac metro area and we have considered moving there. By far the happiest seem to be the ones in Granite Bay. Except for my friends that live all the way out at the lake Granite Bay is close to shopping including all the stores of Roseville and all the schools in GB are 10's. Tons of great restaurants in GB/Roseville area. Next best would be Roseville but some of the schools are 7's and 8's so look closely.

El Dorado Hills is really nice but too remote for us. One family we know lives there and loves it. With all the development on the east side of Folsom it makes EDH more desirable than in the past. I believe most schools there are 9's and 10's. We recently looked at some model homes on the east edge of Serrano. Beautiful new homes.

Folsom is pretty nice. Empire Ranch Area for example. Plus new homes starting soon south of highway 50.

As for Sac itself it's pretty dicey. If you are a young hipster than downtown/midtown/Land Park might work. However, too urban for me and the schools are mostly low.

I also like the look of Davis which is that much closer to the Bay Area. However, have not looked much there.

mneumann
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:07 pm

Re: Sacramento Home Owners - House Areas/Questions

Post by mneumann » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:01 pm

We live in Folsom in an older area on the border with Granite Bay. Moved here about 6 years ago from San Jose area and we like it a lot. Pace of life much slower, much less crowded (for now), good public schools and nice lot sizes on non-new homes.

I like the Eastern suburbs of Folsom, EDH, Granite bay, and even Auburn if you want some space. Some prefer Rocklin, Roseville, Lincoln which are also safe areas with good schools but I feel they are more suburb-like (big malls, vast never ending shopping centers, and more crowded). I would even like to move further up the mountain to somewhere like Cameron Park or Meadow Vista but for my wife that would be a commute nightmare.

On commute, it all depends where you work. I work in the suburbs and 9 miles takes me 15-20 mins on city streets and back roads. My wife worked downtown for a time and 24 miles would regularly take her an hour plus each way. From el Dorado hills that would be closer to 75 mins+. She's now 15 miles away and 35-40 mins is a bad day.

On electric, it's highly dependent on your provider from.my understanding. In folsom I have never paid more than 200 in a month for a 3k sq ft single story with 2 hvacs and electric heat. Keep thermostat at 76-78 in the summer and 66-68 in the winter. My friend in the serrano development of edh with the same size 2 story house regularly pays 400+ in summer. I think this is because I am on smud and he pg&e but not sure. Add to these numbers if you will have a pool. For granite bay, from what our realtor told us, if you live in the area that will use roseville electric (south and west near the country club) you will be much better off than in other spots as far as price.

Job market seems robust if we needed to find one, some tech seems to be coming up from sf, salaries still understandably lag behind the bay area but it depends what you do.

Just my opinion but I feel the housing market may be topping out. Our house is +50% in the 5 years since we bought and worth more than what it sold for in August 2005. Our neighborhood has not had many houses up for sale since we moved in and those that came up were snatched quick. There are now 3 that have been sitting for weeks. Not sure the money is here yet to support much more increase in prices, although there are more people coming up from the bay area that it seems we meet every day.

Our biggest concern for the area is new development south of 50 in folsom and what it will do to traffic. Freeways are already bad enough and could see this turning a commute into folsom or edh on 50 into an absolute nightmare into the next 5-10 years. The newer parts of folsom down near the freeway are also very crowded on weekends and this could exacerbate that.

Feel free to reach out if you have any other specific questions.

HardHitter
Posts: 449
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:41 pm

Re: Sacramento Home Owners - House Areas/Questions

Post by HardHitter » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:44 pm

LarryAllen wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:40 am
I have several friends in the greater Sac metro area and we have considered moving there. By far the happiest seem to be the ones in Granite Bay. Except for my friends that live all the way out at the lake Granite Bay is close to shopping including all the stores of Roseville and all the schools in GB are 10's. Tons of great restaurants in GB/Roseville area. Next best would be Roseville but some of the schools are 7's and 8's so look closely.

El Dorado Hills is really nice but too remote for us. One family we know lives there and loves it. With all the development on the east side of Folsom it makes EDH more desirable than in the past. I believe most schools there are 9's and 10's. We recently looked at some model homes on the east edge of Serrano. Beautiful new homes.

Folsom is pretty nice. Empire Ranch Area for example. Plus new homes starting soon south of highway 50.

As for Sac itself it's pretty dicey. If you are a young hipster than downtown/midtown/Land Park might work. However, too urban for me and the schools are mostly low.

I also like the look of Davis which is that much closer to the Bay Area. However, have not looked much there.
mneumann wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:01 pm
We live in Folsom in an older area on the border with Granite Bay. Moved here about 6 years ago from San Jose area and we like it a lot. Pace of life much slower, much less crowded (for now), good public schools and nice lot sizes on non-new homes.

I like the Eastern suburbs of Folsom, EDH, Granite bay, and even Auburn if you want some space. Some prefer Rocklin, Roseville, Lincoln which are also safe areas with good schools but I feel they are more suburb-like (big malls, vast never ending shopping centers, and more crowded). I would even like to move further up the mountain to somewhere like Cameron Park or Meadow Vista but for my wife that would be a commute nightmare.

On commute, it all depends where you work. I work in the suburbs and 9 miles takes me 15-20 mins on city streets and back roads. My wife worked downtown for a time and 24 miles would regularly take her an hour plus each way. From el Dorado hills that would be closer to 75 mins+. She's now 15 miles away and 35-40 mins is a bad day.

On electric, it's highly dependent on your provider from.my understanding. In folsom I have never paid more than 200 in a month for a 3k sq ft single story with 2 hvacs and electric heat. Keep thermostat at 76-78 in the summer and 66-68 in the winter. My friend in the serrano development of edh with the same size 2 story house regularly pays 400+ in summer. I think this is because I am on smud and he pg&e but not sure. Add to these numbers if you will have a pool. For granite bay, from what our realtor told us, if you live in the area that will use roseville electric (south and west near the country club) you will be much better off than in other spots as far as price.

Job market seems robust if we needed to find one, some tech seems to be coming up from sf, salaries still understandably lag behind the bay area but it depends what you do.

Just my opinion but I feel the housing market may be topping out. Our house is +50% in the 5 years since we bought and worth more than what it sold for in August 2005. Our neighborhood has not had many houses up for sale since we moved in and those that came up were snatched quick. There are now 3 that have been sitting for weeks. Not sure the money is here yet to support much more increase in prices, although there are more people coming up from the bay area that it seems we meet every day.

Our biggest concern for the area is new development south of 50 in folsom and what it will do to traffic. Freeways are already bad enough and could see this turning a commute into folsom or edh on 50 into an absolute nightmare into the next 5-10 years. The newer parts of folsom down near the freeway are also very crowded on weekends and this could exacerbate that.

Feel free to reach out if you have any other specific questions.
Thank you both for your responses and those who have PM'd me with additional detail!

Wife and I are looking to do a move sometime in Q1/Q2 of 2019 with what we would like to stay at $800K but have some flexibility. We are looking for good schooling, 4+ bedroom, 3+ car garage and a pool for entertaining.

It could be the fear of missing out, but I'm worried that $800K homes today will be $950-$1M homes by the time we are ready to move. As mentioned, a lot of Bay Area people are moving out of the area and likely driving surrounding home prices to surge as it is doing to other states such as Seattle, Texas, etc.

mneumann: you mentioned that you think housing has topped off. Do you expect housing prices to continue to grow into 2019 or you think they are due for a correction? Like I mentioned above, I just don't want our $800K budget to not be able to buy something nice anymore when we are ready.

Loik098
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 9:29 pm

Re: Sacramento Home Owners - House Areas/Questions

Post by Loik098 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:55 pm

mneumann wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:01 pm
We live in Folsom in an older area on the border with Granite Bay.

Our biggest concern for the area is new development south of 50 in folsom and what it will do to traffic. Freeways are already bad enough and could see this turning a commute into folsom or edh on 50 into an absolute nightmare into the next 5-10 years. The newer parts of folsom down near the freeway are also very crowded on weekends and this could exacerbate that.

Feel free to reach out if you have any other specific questions.
This post from mneumann is excellent, and I agree with the other posters as well. I believe you're likely to look on the east/northeast side of Sacramento. Opinion: Roseville is too busy, EDH is nice but far out from town and expensive, Folsom/Granite Bay/Rocklin are "just right" for an in-between.

However, if I were you, I would intensely research the part highlighted in bold. The added congestion of 10,000 new homes may well cause our family to move from here in a few years, despite the excellent schools. Folsom is already a little too busy (and not particularly secluded, as you asked for) for our liking, and if you're like us, the new construction may well play a factor in your decision.
Last edited by Loik098 on Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mneumann
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:07 pm

Re: Sacramento Home Owners - House Areas/Questions

Post by mneumann » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:51 pm

HardHitter wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:44 pm

mneumann: you mentioned that you think housing has topped off. Do you expect housing prices to continue to grow into 2019 or you think they are due for a correction? Like I mentioned above, I just don't want our $800K budget to not be able to buy something nice anymore when we are ready.
Again just my opinion and not pretending to be a real estate expert but I don't see homes in that price range continuing to appreciate as they have the last 4-6 years. I also don't see anything that would indicate a correction but who knows what will happen with the broader economy. I would expect flat prices over the next couple years.

There are still all cash or high down payment buyers coming from the bay area but other than that I don't see where all the high income earners with large downs would be coming from to support increasing valuations given all the neighborhoods we have that are 600k - 1 mil to get into.

From co-workers and acquaintances I talk to, if you are looking for the 3-2 1700 ft tract house at 400k you better get up here now because they are going over ask, multiple offer, first weekend kind of thing. But I think those are completely different buyers that arent playing in the 750k pool and there are a lot more of them

ADower
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:45 am

Re: Sacramento Home Owners - House Areas/Questions

Post by ADower » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:57 pm

HardHitter wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:30 am
Wife and I are thinking about buying a place in the Sacramento area but have little to no insight on what areas to look in at the moment. A friend of mine just moved to El Dorado Hills and suggested there and/or Granite Bay. Had a few questions for those who know the area:

1. What are "good" areas of Sacramento. We are looking at safe. peaceful areas with good neighbors and good public schools. Something maybe "secluded" but nothing more than 10-15 minutes away from everything (entertainment, costco/grocery stores, malls, etc)
2. We know that Sacramento can get hot in comparison to the coast. My friend said most homes will have solar and if not, to estimate $35-$40K for a system. How much would you say are monthly utilities during a month running AC and such?

Anything else we should know about Sacramento? If you've moved there, where did you move from and what are your thoughts?
1. Roseville, Rocklin, EDH, Folsom, Granite Bay, Arden Area, East Sac
2. SMUD is several times cheaper than PGE. I have a friend that does solar and they specifically target areas with PGE since its easy to get people to switch over. You shouldn't be paying over 200$ a month for summer with AC w/ SMUD. You're looking at an easy 350$+ w/ PGE.

LarryAllen
Posts: 1075
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:41 am
Location: State of Confusion

Re: Sacramento Home Owners - House Areas/Questions

Post by LarryAllen » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:32 pm

Another really nice area is Loomis. It's just past Granite Bay. If you live close to the freeway it's not too far to the main mall/stores/restaurants, more space for houses, and excellent schools.

calmaniac
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:32 pm

Re: Sacramento Home Owners - House Areas/Questions

Post by calmaniac » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:15 pm

HardHitter wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:30 am
Anything else we should know about Sacramento?
Google "Sacramento" and "flooding". Pretty sobering, huh? Some areas of the city are at much greater risk than others.

Tech
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:31 pm

Re: Sacramento Home Owners - House Areas/Questions

Post by Tech » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:32 pm

Great thread. I have never thought Folsom, GB and the surrounding areas has that great school.
I'll drive to Granite bay to check it out.

squirm
Posts: 1425
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Sacramento Home Owners - House Areas/Questions

Post by squirm » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:16 pm

What was your friend smoking with that solar estimate? A friend of mine lives there. He has $13K for his solar, uses the AC all the time. South facing panels.

User avatar
teacher
Posts: 988
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:45 pm
Location: California

Re: Sacramento Home Owners - House Areas/Questions

Post by teacher » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:36 pm

Everything mentioned by posters rings true to me. I can only add something my father pointed out to us when we first moved to Carmichael from Wichita.
Most summer nights, the Delta Breeze cools everything down, and if you have a whole house fan, you have Nature's AC. Once you get to the foothills, you can't feel it. My son lives in the Fiddyment Farm area of West Roseville, and he gets it, Fair Oaks, Citrus Heights, Orangevale and East Roseville also benefit. There are other locations mentioned in this thread that get it as well, but research it if a lovely cool-down is important to you. Here are examples of the Delta Breeze effect where I live:
Sunday 81/Night 54
Monday 92/Night 59
Tuesday 97/Night 59
Wednesday 95/Night 56
Thursday 85/Night 54
Friday 92/Night 59
Saturday 88/Night 58
Sunday 88/Night 57

Also, we love that fact we are a day trip away from Tahoe, Napa and the Bay.

HardHitter
Posts: 449
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:41 pm

Re: Sacramento Home Owners - House Areas/Questions

Post by HardHitter » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:55 am

We just took a trip to El Dorado Hills yesterday. Going up was a pain due to a lot of traffic. Once we got to the Sacramento area, there were also random pockets of traffic on the 50. Is this common on a weekend?

We went to visit a friend who lives in the Serrano gated communities. Completely surreal knowing that you could live in a really nice gated community for as low as $600K where in the Bay Area, you won't be getting much, if anything. We also went to the "other side" o the Serrano community which is on the golf course side. They are still developing homes on that side but they are more high end Toll Brother homes. Base pricing starts in/around the $750K depending on floor plan, and then I'm sure with the upgrades we saw in the model homes, you're look at $1M.

Overall, the Serrano community is a very nice area, nice homes and was impressed, however when driving out of the community, there seems to be nothing around it. Everything "around it" is just dry open land. They have a small shopping center it looks like at the bottom of the hill with a Target, Mcdonalds and some other things and it looks like they are developing a Safeway in the other direction, but if you want something like restaurants/shops, you're looking at going to the Palladio.

We were able to drive more north into El Dorado hills closer to the Folsom Lake. Those were actual neighborhoods and not communities and seemed to be more "green" in regards to trees/bushes/grass/etc.

Didn't get to head out to Granite Bay, but at the moment, I am 50/50.

jbuzolich
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:52 pm

Re: Sacramento Home Owners - House Areas/Questions

Post by jbuzolich » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:27 pm

I think one important reminder for anyone reading this is that all these towns are in the general Sacramento area, yes, but are also a half hour to one hour drive from each other or from Sacramento depending on traffic. We're coming up on ten years in Woodland which is just ten minutes north of Davis or about twenty minutes northwest of Sacramento. Traffic minimal most of the time and interstate or rural roads to and from Sacramento. Getting to Auburn or EDH from here is just under an hour without traffic. You go either of those places on a Friday afternoon though and better plan on bringing a sandwich for the car.
Real estate rising in nearly all these areas but total price does sound more like down payments for the Bay area.

LarryAllen
Posts: 1075
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:41 am
Location: State of Confusion

Re: Sacramento Home Owners - House Areas/Questions

Post by LarryAllen » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:22 am

The SacBee has an article today about the Bay Area people flocking to the Sac area:

http://www.sacbee.com/news/business/rea ... 79984.html

LarryAllen
Posts: 1075
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:41 am
Location: State of Confusion

Re: Sacramento Home Owners - House Areas/Questions

Post by LarryAllen » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:25 am

jbuzolich wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:27 pm
I think one important reminder for anyone reading this is that all these towns are in the general Sacramento area, yes, but are also a half hour to one hour drive from each other or from Sacramento depending on traffic. We're coming up on ten years in Woodland which is just ten minutes north of Davis or about twenty minutes northwest of Sacramento. Traffic minimal most of the time and interstate or rural roads to and from Sacramento. Getting to Auburn or EDH from here is just under an hour without traffic. You go either of those places on a Friday afternoon though and better plan on bringing a sandwich for the car.
Real estate rising in nearly all these areas but total price does sound more like down payments for the Bay area.
I have been to Woodland and it has it's virtues but it's a lot different than Roseville/Granite Bay/Folsom/El Dorado Hills. Woodland is closer to the Bay area and closer to the airport but it's still 20 minutes to downtown (no traffic) just like most of the burbs. It's also, how shall I say, not socio-economically, in the same range as the aforementioned.

ADower
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:45 am

Re: Sacramento Home Owners - House Areas/Questions

Post by ADower » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:09 pm

HardHitter wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:55 am
We just took a trip to El Dorado Hills yesterday. Going up was a pain due to a lot of traffic. Once we got to the Sacramento area, there were also random pockets of traffic on the 50. Is this common on a weekend?

We went to visit a friend who lives in the Serrano gated communities. Completely surreal knowing that you could live in a really nice gated community for as low as $600K where in the Bay Area, you won't be getting much, if anything. We also went to the "other side" o the Serrano community which is on the golf course side. They are still developing homes on that side but they are more high end Toll Brother homes. Base pricing starts in/around the $750K depending on floor plan, and then I'm sure with the upgrades we saw in the model homes, you're look at $1M.

Overall, the Serrano community is a very nice area, nice homes and was impressed, however when driving out of the community, there seems to be nothing around it. Everything "around it" is just dry open land. They have a small shopping center it looks like at the bottom of the hill with a Target, Mcdonalds and some other things and it looks like they are developing a Safeway in the other direction, but if you want something like restaurants/shops, you're looking at going to the Palladio.

We were able to drive more north into El Dorado hills closer to the Folsom Lake. Those were actual neighborhoods and not communities and seemed to be more "green" in regards to trees/bushes/grass/etc.

Didn't get to head out to Granite Bay, but at the moment, I am 50/50.
Yes, traffic on weekends is common along the following areas;

Sacramento Cause Way
Davis
Dixon
Placerville
EDH
Folsom

If you want to be a little less rural and closer to town, check out east Sacramento and the Arden area.

Are either you or your wife going to be working downtown? If so, you can take light rail into downtown and have a less stressful commute.

Post Reply