How should I hang a hammock on vinyl sided exterior wall?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
PrettyCoolWorkshop

How should I hang a hammock on vinyl sided exterior wall?

Post by PrettyCoolWorkshop » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:25 am

Howdy bogleheads.

I am a fan of hammocks, and have for a while been wanting to install hardware to hang a hammock on my back screened in porch. I would use eye bolts similar to this:

https://www.myhammock.com/shop/accessor ... crew-hook/

I would be installing this hardware in two places. The first place is a sturdy 4x4 post, so can just drill and drive the eye bolt in. The second place would have to be in the exterior wall of my home which is covered in vinyl siding, which is where I have my questions.

Ideally, I imagine I would find some easy way to make a clean, attractive hole through the vinyl siding using the appropriate trim pieces, and the drive my eye bolt through the sheathing and into the stud. It may also be a good idea to spread the load among multiple studs. I don't know what these trim pieces would be called or the best way to approach it. Any help, bogleheads?
Be greedy and fearful. All the time.

SimonJester

Re: How should I hang a hammock on vinyl sided exterior wall?

Post by SimonJester » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:47 am

First, do you have the ability to use a second 4x4 post next to the house instead of going into the siding?

If not,
I would drilling a slightly larger diameter hole through the siding. It will be it will be critical to get that eye bolt into a stud, so you will need to correctly locate one. I would then just caulk around and behind the eye bolt to seal the hole. You can screw the eye bolt 3/4s of the way into the stud, then apply the caulking and finish screwing the eye bolt in to help seal. You need to make sure the eye bolt is long enough to get through the siding, the sheathing and quite a ways into the stud.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

PrettyCoolWorkshop

Post by PrettyCoolWorkshop » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:10 am

SimonJester wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:47 am
First, do you have the ability to use a second 4x4 post next to the house instead of going into the siding?

If not,
I would drilling a slightly larger diameter hole through the siding. It will be it will be critical to get that eye bolt into a stud, so you will need to correctly locate one. I would then just caulk around and behind the eye bolt to seal the hole. You can screw the eye bolt 3/4s of the way into the stud, then apply the caulking and finish screwing the eye bolt in to help seal. You need to make sure the eye bolt is long enough to get through the siding, the sheathing and quite a ways into the stud.
I only have 4x4 posts on one side. The remaining 3 sides are the exterior wall that goes into my living room, a wall that contains two doors leading into exterior 'closets', and the opposite wall that adjoins the back of the neighbor's exterior 'closets'. (this is a townhouse).

I am also tempted to build some sort of frame that spans one of the closet doorways with a hook in the middle. That frame would not have to poke a hole in the vinyl, and I know that doorways have extra studs for extra strength.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:10 am

Spread the load between 2 studs

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:23 pm

If it were me, I would install a block similar to what they attach exterior sconce lights on the outside of a vinyl sided houses. Essentially you cut a square hole in the vinyl siding, install the appropriate trim to shed any water up and over the block instead of behind the siding, install the block. You would want to make sure the block is securely attached to a stud and your eye bolt to the block. You will end up with a more professional look than simply filling an oversize hole with caulking.

Similar to this picture:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/s_tS8zWVFXI/hqdefault.jpg

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:24 pm

We solved this problem by buying a Hammock Stand from llBean. Now I can move it to where-ever in the yard I want to take my Saturday afternoon nap :)

PrettyCoolWorkshop

Post by PrettyCoolWorkshop » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:39 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:23 pm
If it were me, I would install a block similar to what they attach exterior sconce lights on the outside of a vinyl sided houses. Essentially you cut a square hole in the vinyl siding, install the appropriate trim to shed any water up and over the block instead of behind the siding, install the block. You would want to make sure the block is securely attached to a stud and your eye bolt to the block. You will end up with a more professional look than simply filling an oversize hole with caulking.

Similar to this picture:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/s_tS8zWVFXI/hqdefault.jpg
Yes! These are what I imagined I must need, but I did not know how to find them.

In the likely case that I want to distribute my load between 2 studs, I will be using 2 blocks joined by a 2x6, with the 2x6 having the eyebolt installed midspan.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:41 pm

If this is a town house do you own the exterior walls? if not you cannot and should not install anything into them. Check with your HOA to make sure. In that case get a hammock stand instead. In fact I would probably just go that route either way...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Bronco Billy

Post by Bronco Billy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:46 pm

SimonJester wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:47 am
I believe what Simon is suggesting is to dig a hole next to the house and concrete a 4X4 up next to the house.
Last edited by Bronco Billy on Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:58 pm

I think if you search, say, Lowes for "Siding Mounting Blocks" you will find what you are looking for.

There are two types. One type has serrated edges and fits over the siding. The other type has channels and mounts flush to the sheathing. For an eye bolt you'd want the second type.

heyyou

Post by heyyou » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:05 pm

by DaftInvestor » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:24 pm
We solved this problem by buying a Hammock Stand from llBean. Now I can move it to where-ever in the yard
by SimonJester » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:41 pm
If this is a town house do you own the exterior walls? if not you cannot and should not install anything into them. Check with your HOA to make sure. In that case get a hammock stand instead. In fact I would probably just go that route either way...
https://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

Cutting into vinyl siding is just not good, long term. Get a hammock stand. You can build one or buy one, and either is better than anchoring into a wall, or expecting a 4x4 to take all of the forces generated by adults flopping into a hammock. Be aware of what might be buried underground if you are digging that deep hole for your 4x4.

Eno sells a shorter stand for about $250 that only fits shorter hammocks, but you can find end of season prices of 20% off at REI and Backcountry.com. Walmart and its affiliated sellers have $60-70 hammock stands. Look in the Ultimate Hang book that is linked above for more info on hammock stands. At hammockforums.net there is almost too much info about hammock stands.

Yes, the hammock marketers sell hardware to help you think that you can just hang from anything that is vertical, but they did not tell you that every vertical that can have an anchor put in it, will tolerate the loading stresses when using the hammock.

PrettyCoolWorkshop

Post by PrettyCoolWorkshop » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:31 pm

Update: I ended up knocking together a solution this weekend. I built a frame that spans the closet doorway and I added a block to my 4x4 post to enable me to pass a rope through. Most of the ways I did things were to avoid having to make a trip to the hardware store. Pictures at the link below. Posting fromy hammock right now, sipping some cool ginger ale.

https://imgur.com/a/FDN5z9C