Hole in Garage ceiling, possibly leaving upstairs bedroom hot?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Uvarg002

Hole in Garage ceiling, possibly leaving upstairs bedroom hot?

Post by Uvarg002 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:36 pm

Hi, my room is extremely hot and I have no idea why. I live in a 1500 sq ft home and my room is directly above the garage.

My room is extremely hot no matter what time it is even though the AC is at 69. Everyone’s room is perfectly fine and cold but I can’t for the life of me figure out why mine is hot. I found 2 holes in the garage ceiling. Do you think this could be a cause for my room being hot? I live in a humid US state year round. Barely any cold months.

adamthesmythe

Re: Hole in Garage ceiling, possibly leaving upstairs bedroom hot?

Post by adamthesmythe » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:04 pm

I think it is pretty unlikely that a room would be "extremely hot" because of holes in the garage ceiling.

BUT you have a more important issue- holes can admit some amount of carbon monoxide, potentially a fatal hazard.

Fix the holes (to code) and then figure out what is wrong with your AC.

sergeant

Post by sergeant » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:07 pm

Do you park a hot car in the garage? Is the garage door insulated? A few small holes in the drywall would not make the room above hot.
Lincoln 3 EOW!

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:11 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:04 pm
I think it is pretty unlikely that a room would be "extremely hot" because of holes in the garage ceiling.

BUT you have a more important issue- holes can admit some amount of carbon monoxide, potentially a fatal hazard.

Fix the holes (to code) and then figure out what is wrong with your AC.
Agree. Any hole in wall or ceiling of a garage that has attached living space should be sealed and repaired asap. Venting gases into living space can be extremely dangerous/fatal.

Before sealing the holes check inside to see if insulation has been properly installed in the living space floor or walls that adjoin the garage. If there is no insulation consider getting a contractor to add insulation as part of the repair process.
Last edited by jabberwockOG on Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:11 pm

Is your room the only one above the garage?
How large is the hole or holes?
Is there any indication what the holes are or were for?
Is the garage typically cool or hot?
Do you know if there's any insulation in the ceiling between the garage and your room?
Does your room have an A/C vent and is it working properly?

Agree with the comments about sealing the hole(s) not only because of gases but because the ceiling and/or walls between a living space and garage should be a "firewall" - typically 1-hr fire rated which means thicker drywall and all gaps or penetrations sealed with fire rated caulk.
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

Uvarg002

Post by Uvarg002 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:15 pm

FrugalInvestor wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:11 pm
Do you know if there's any insulation in the ceiling between the garage and your room?
Yes, it’s the only above the garage. The holes are about 3 inches in diameter and we do not park any cars in the garage, it’s strictly for storage. I do not know if there’s any insulation and my room does have an ac vent and working properly.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:22 pm

Uvarg002 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:15 pm
FrugalInvestor wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:11 pm
Yes, it’s the only above the garage. The holes are about 3 inches in diameter and we do not park any cars in the garage, it’s strictly for storage. I do not know if there’s any insulation and my room does have an ac vent and working properly.
Is the garage typically warmer than the rest of the house? If the garage is warm and there's no insulation in the ceiling between it and your room above that could be the problem.

You say there are no cars in the garage, just storage. Are there any gas appliances like a gas water heater in it?
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

2comma

Post by 2comma » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:20 pm

I'd be very curious to know what type of attic you have in the bedroom arrea and how it is ventilated? Not likely that much heat enters the room from a few smallish holes in the garage (although codes do require that they be sealed to protect against flame and fumes entering a living space.
If I am stupid I will pay.

CRC301

Post by CRC301 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:55 pm

Do you have cold winters? Is it the coldest room in house in the winter? You might need more vents in a room like that (more affected by heat transfer due to floor being over unconditioned garage space). HVAC people should be able to diagnose that.

I don't think little holes would increase heat transfer in any meaningful way but no or bad insulation might. When was house built and in what state? Builder probably followed code regarding to insulation.

You could get a window A/C unit

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:30 am

Given the garage is not ac heat will tend to rise up towards your bedroom. Holes may make it marginally worse.

If you are on top floor depending on what sort of attic/roof you may be getting heat from top too.

Also, depending on air flow, if there is a major intake vent near your room it could be sucking hot air from the garage through your room.

Do you have electric attic fans? Attic fans can actually pull AC from house if house not well sealed, or worse yet creating upward pressure pulling garage air/heat through your room.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:35 am

Could be multiple causes. Check the airflow from the ac vents. Check the ducts to make sure there are no leaks. I would expect the room above the garage to be warmer unless there is great insulation above the garage. Check the windows to make sure they are closed fully. Fixing the holes should be relatively easy to do to see if it makes a difference. You could also add a fan to the vent to draw more cool air into the room. Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Suncourt-Flush-F ... r+duct+fan

spectec

Post by spectec » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:00 am

Where is the compressor/condenser for the HVAC system located? This part of the system creates signifcant heat when the A/C system is operating. If it is sitting near a garage wall, then the heat from this unit could be heating the exterior wall of the garage and migrating up that same wall to your room. So the considerable heat generated in cooling the rest of the house is being partially radiated into your room. If the outside part of the system is surrounded by shrubs or other plants for cosmetic reasons, even more of the heat is being directed back toward the garage wall.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:22 am

Uvarg002 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:36 pm
My room is extremely hot no matter what time it is even though the AC is at 69.
Have your A/C system checked. Most likely it isn't set up correctly in your room. Perhaps the ducts are blocked. Perhaps it isn't circulating correctly.

Unless the garage is extremely hot all the time, it's unlikely to be the cause of the heat in your room.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:27 am

A basic check would be ensuring that when the AC is running your vents are putting out air. If they are not, make sure that the ductwork doesn't have a shutoff on it along the way.

OPEN THE DOOR to get air from the rest of the house.

Put a box fan in the doorway a few hours before you're going to bed to pull in air from the rest of the house if you don't have a return duct in your room.

If the room is in direct sunlight, i.e. late afternoon, then close the blinds.

Ensure that the thermostat is in a room that is average for the house. If it's in a shaded room, then when the hot sun beats on the house it's not running enough.

undertheradar

Post by undertheradar » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:28 am

Do you have a cold-air return vent in your room? I recently had my HVAC replaced and found all kinds of issues with my cold-air return ducting. I was basically blasting all air into the living space, but the air handler was only drawing air from the basement. :oops: After I did some repairs and sealed up the ducts, the system works really nicely now and the air gets circulated.

renue74

Post by renue74 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:31 am

My son's bedroom is above our garage. His room has always been temperamental when it comes to heating/cooling.

At first, I thought it was garage below....because the garage door is not insulated, so it get's fairly cold in the winter and warm in the summer. We live in the south.

We had a plumbing leak last summer and I cut a huge 2' x 2' hole in the garage ceiling to check where the leak was. Fixed it, but left the hole. Our garage ceiling was insulated with batt insulation.

The bedroom is more like a "bonus room," in today's terms, but in 1996...it's a bedroom. That being said....I think the main reason for the hvac issues is because his room has vaulted ceilings and no true attic space above his room.

So you're looking at the angled ceiling and about 4" away though that ceiling is the roof/shingles, etc. No attic.

Maybe your room is like that.

An insulation guy told me if you're "going to spend extra, spend it on the attic insulation. Floor insulation does really do a ton for you."

Uvarg002

Post by Uvarg002 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:12 am

Aside from the insulation, do you guys believe it could be from my window? I feel intense heat radiating from the window and I have window blinds, not curtains.

The house isn’t my home and my roommate who owns the home isn’t buying the fact that my room get extremely hot, it’s one excuse after another. That being said, I’m looking at alternative options that won’t be costly - as I imagine paying for insulation and what not is expensive

Uvarg002

Post by Uvarg002 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:12 am

Aside from the insulation, do you guys believe it could be from my window? I feel intense heat radiating from the window and I have window blinds, not curtains.

The house isn’t my home and my roommate who owns the home isn’t buying the fact that my room get extremely hot, it’s one excuse after another. That being said, I’m looking at alternative options that won’t be costly - as I imagine paying for insulation and what not is expensive

2comma

Post by 2comma » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:16 am

renue74 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:31 am
My son's bedroom is above our garage. His room has always been temperamental when it comes to heating/cooling.

At first, I thought it was garage below....because the garage door is not insulated, so it get's fairly cold in the winter and warm in the summer. We live in the south.

We had a plumbing leak last summer and I cut a huge 2' x 2' hole in the garage ceiling to check where the leak was. Fixed it, but left the hole. Our garage ceiling was insulated with batt insulation.

The bedroom is more like a "bonus room," in today's terms, but in 1996...it's a bedroom. That being said....I think the main reason for the hvac issues is because his room has vaulted ceilings and no true attic space above his room.

So you're looking at the angled ceiling and about 4" away though that ceiling is the roof/shingles, etc. No attic.

Maybe your room is like that.

An insulation guy told me if you're "going to spend extra, spend it on the attic insulation. Floor insulation does really do a ton for you."
I suspect the same. We had a play room above the garage, it was so hot/cold the previous owner had installed an exterior door. When I built our sun room the rafters were think enough for 8" of insulation and 2" for rafter vents. Cool air flows from the soffit vents, through the rafter vents and hot air exhausts thru a ridge vent. When I had the house re-roofed the goofs covered the ridge vent. It was amazing how much hotter the room got without the air flow.
If I am stupid I will pay.

Point

Post by Point » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:40 am

I got an infrared thermometer that I could use from a distance to see temperatures in the house, and coming out of the ducts. That allowed me to understand air flows and make changes. Cost was $70

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:08 am

Uvarg002 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:12 am

This was going to be my number one guess from reading your original post. Windows have the ability to put a tremendous amount of heat into a room, especially if there get full sun. Many time garages typically have shallow roof overhangs which compounds the problem since you can get direct sunlight during the most intense hours of the day when the sun if nearly vertical. Depending on age of windows and exposure to direct sunlight, south facing windows can comprise 30 to 50% of the entire heat load of a building during the summer months.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:16 am

We have one upstairs room that's the farthest point from the AC system and often is not cooled sufficiently. We solve this in a number of ways. I turn the AC system fan to "on" so that circulation is constant. As we have only one zone for the whole house, there's a huge difference in downstairs temp and upstairs temp. Getting the the farthest upstairs room sees the highest temp. This helps.

Next is keeping the door open to that room.

Since this is my son's bedroom and he sleeps with the door closed, we've actually put a small window AC in his room. Sure.....we could solve the issue with increased duct work size, but that's huge money. For a couple hundred dollars, the window AC does the job.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

CRC301

Post by CRC301 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:23 am

A good HVAC tech will be able to diagnose this problem for you (the good ones know how to calculate heat transfer in a room and can figure if the HVAC system is setup properly). Sounds like your landlord isn't going to help. You could threaten to find another place and then they'll be out rent (how long is your lease for?).

Are the windows single or double-pane? You can do a few things to help with the heat transfer around the windows:
  • Install window film (relatively cheap and can be picked up from home improvement store)
  • Ensure blinds/drapes are always closed during the day (if you can have it so the blinds reflect the light to the light-colored ceiling)
  • Install better blinds/drapes that reflect the heat back out (I think white-color facing the window is best)
  • Install honeycomb blinds
I stole most of this from consumer reports: https://www.consumerreports.org/energy- ... coverings/

Uvarg002

Post by Uvarg002 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:36 am

lthenderson wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:08 am
Uvarg002 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:12 am

This was going to be my number one guess from reading your original post. Windows have the ability to put a tremendous amount of heat into a room, especially if there get full sun. Many time garages typically have shallow roof overhangs which compounds the problem since you can get direct sunlight during the most intense hours of the day when the sun if nearly vertical. Depending on age of windows and exposure to direct sunlight, south facing windows can comprise 30 to 50% of the entire heat load of a building during the summer months.
The house faces east, so my room is facing the sun directly in the morning. Yes, the garage does have shallow roof overhangs as well. I was almost curious to see if my neighbor has the same problem, we live in a townhouse and my room is directly next to the neighbors.

Uvarg002

Post by Uvarg002 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:39 am

CRC301 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:23 am
A good HVAC tech will be able to diagnose this problem for you (the good ones know how to calculate heat transfer in a room and can figure if the HVAC system is setup properly). Sounds like your landlord isn't going to help. You could threaten to find another place and then they'll be out rent (how long is your lease for?).

Are the windows single or double-pane? You can do a few things to help with the heat transfer around the windows:
  • Install window film (relatively cheap and can be picked up from home improvement store)
  • Ensure blinds/drapes are always closed during the day (if you can have it so the blinds reflect the light to the light-colored ceiling)
  • Install better blinds/drapes that reflect the heat back out (I think white-color facing the window is best)
I stole most of this from consumer reports: https://www.consumerreports.org/energy- ... coverings/
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I did install a window film about a year ago and it only helped slightly, not much. White blinds are always closed and facing down as having them face up towards the roof makes more light come into my room. It's not as dark as if they're facing down. I am in the process of buying curtains that reflect heat and I'm hoping this will help. more than the blinds. I don't feel the blinds do very much.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:57 am

If the heat radiating through the windows in the morning is the problem what you really need are exterior sunscreens to block it before it gets into your room. Any sort of interior window covering won't help much because the heat has already gotten in. 80% sunscreens should make a big difference. Dark colored ones (dark brown or black) provide the best visibility from inside of the house and will just look like a heavy insect screen when looking out.

See explanation here:
https://www.efficientwindowcoverings.or ... lar-screen

If you live in an area that gets hot there should be companies around that will make and install the screens to fit your windows.

Uvarg002

Post by Uvarg002 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:49 am

FrugalInvestor wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:57 am
If the heat radiating through the windows in the morning is the problem what you really need are exterior sunscreens to block it before it gets into your room. Any sort of interior window covering won't help much because the heat has already gotten in. 80% sunscreens should make a big difference. Dark colored ones (dark brown or black) provide the best visibility from inside of the house and will just look like a heavy insect screen when looking out.

See explanation here:
https://www.efficientwindowcoverings.or ... lar-screen

If you live in an area that gets hot there should be companies around that will make and install the screens to fit your windows.
Oh wow, I didn’t think of that. I have the window film installed from the inside. The solar screen I will look into as well. Thanks for this!

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:51 am

Uvarg002 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:39 am
CRC301 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:23 am

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I did install a window film about a year ago and it only helped slightly, not much. White blinds are always closed and facing down as having them face up towards the roof makes more light come into my room. It's not as dark as if they're facing down. I am in the process of buying curtains that reflect heat and I'm hoping this will help. more than the blinds. I don't feel the blinds do very much.
Black out curtains should help. Installing an outside awning over your window would also help. I put some canvas ones on windows at the southwest corner of my house, and they reduced the temperature in the room at that corner by nearly 20 degrees in the afternoon. My awnings were custom made of Sunbrella canvas fabric and looked really nice.

Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:16 pm

There's a chance the AC is working, but not "balanced". Either the air coming into your room isn't cold enough, or it's not high enough volume (duct too small or partially closed with a damper).

An HVAC tech could figure it out with an infrared thermoment and a little dealie to measure air pressure or velocity. (and knowledge of what to do with that info).

In general, a living space above a garage should be air-sealed and also have fire rated drywall to reduce the threat from gases or fire. And of course it should be insulated too, of course.

Uvarg002

Post by Uvarg002 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:34 pm

Easy Rhino wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:16 pm
There's a chance the AC is working, but not "balanced". Either the air coming into your room isn't cold enough, or it's not high enough volume (duct too small or partially closed with a damper).

An HVAC tech could figure it out with an infrared thermoment and a little dealie to measure air pressure or velocity. (and knowledge of what to do with that info).

In general, a living space above a garage should be air-sealed and also have fire rated drywall to reduce the threat from gases or fire. And of course it should be insulated too, of course.
Hi, I can tell you right now the air vent is smaller than the other 2 bedrooms. The room with 2 windows but the same size as mine has a bigger vent, mine only 1 window smaller vent. The master has a big one also with 2 windows

ytm

Post by ytm » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:39 pm

We have an upstairs office with a very large window. The bottom of the window on the outside is about 6 inches above an asphalt-shingled porch roof. The heat from that roof in the summer turned the office into an oven. The window originally had only blinds. Later we added a heavy, lined curtain to try to reduce the heat. It didn't help very much.

One day I noticed some styrofoam insulation panels in the garage - bought for some project
but never used. I took a couple of the panels and rested them on the office windowsill, between
the blinds and the curtain. That room is now the coolest room upstairs. Quick and easy fix.
You can cut the panels to size easily with a utility knife.

Home Depot or Lowes. https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm ... insulation
$13 for a 4 ft x 8 ft panel, 1 in thick. $26 for a 2 in panel.

Uvarg002

Post by Uvarg002 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:11 pm

ytm wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:39 pm
We have an upstairs office with a very large window. The bottom of the window on the outside is about 6 inches above an asphalt-shingled porch roof. The heat from that roof in the summer turned the office into an oven. The window originally had only blinds. Later we added a heavy, lined curtain to try to reduce the heat. It didn't help very much.

One day I noticed some styrofoam insulation panels in the garage - bought for some project
but never used. I took a couple of the panels and rested them on the office windowsill, between
the blinds and the curtain. That room is now the coolest room upstairs. Quick and easy fix.
You can cut the panels to size easily with a utility knife.

Home Depot or Lowes. https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm ... insulation
$13 for a 4 ft x 8 ft panel, 1 in thick. $26 for a 2 in panel.
Would you be able to send a picture of what the final product looked like? I could try this along with the curtains

ytm

Post by ytm » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:32 am

The window is 5 x 7 feet. The scrap styrofoam panels are .75 in thick and 2.5 x 4 ft.
I didn't construct anything with the panels, I just put them on the windowsill, overlapped in the middle,
to see if they would absorb some of the heat from the porch roof. I didn't think it would help that much,
I was just grasping at straws. But it worked so well - even when covering only half the window -
that I just left them there and keep the curtains closed. One of these days I'll get a full panel at
Lowes and cut it to size.

The panels are hidden by the blinds, so can't be seen outside - no HOA issues.
If you only open the curtains once in awhile it's easy to move the panels off the windowsill, they
are very light. But it won't be the best solution if you need to open them more often. At $15 though
it might be a good temporary solution.

Also, I think renue74 identified the other main problem -
renue74 wrote: ?Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:31 am

. . . I think the main reason for the hvac issues is because his room has vaulted ceilings
and no true attic space above his room.

We have a bonus room upstairs and in the summer it's always warmer than the other rooms. An HVAC tech
redirected more airflow to that room, which helped a little. But it wasn't until we installed a ceiling
fan that the room was comfortable enough in the afternoon.

Uvarg002

Post by Uvarg002 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:59 am

ytm wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:32 am

The window is 5 x 7 feet. The scrap styrofoam panels are .75 in thick and 2.5 x 4 ft.
I didn't construct anything with the panels, I just put them on the windowsill, overlapped in the middle,
to see if they would absorb some of the heat from the porch roof. I didn't think it would help that much,
I was just grasping at straws. But it worked so well - even when covering only half the window -
that I just left them there and keep the curtains closed. One of these days I'll get a full panel at
Lowes and cut it to size.

The panels are hidden by the blinds, so can't be seen outside - no HOA issues.
If you only open the curtains once in awhile it's easy to move the panels off the windowsill, they
are very light. But it won't be the best solution if you need to open them more often. At $15 though
it might be a good temporary solution.

Also, I think renue74 identified the other main problem -
renue74 wrote: ?Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:31 am

. . . I think the main reason for the hvac issues is because his room has vaulted ceilings
and no true attic space above his room.

We have a bonus room upstairs and in the summer it's always warmer than the other rooms. An HVAC tech
redirected more airflow to that room, which helped a little. But it wasn't until we installed a ceiling
fan that the room was comfortable enough in the afternoon.
Thank you so much for your help! I thought it was ore technical than what you described lol.

I don’t know if I have a vaulted ceiling, just that it’s a town house. So maybe it is a vaulted ceiling, it doesn’t seem that there would be much attic room either. The fan doesn’t help much, it just blows warm air around the room when the AC is off no matter which way it turns.

ytm

Post by ytm » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:00 pm

I think getting those pictures posted on this website was the first technical thing I've done in my lifetime. :D

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:05 pm

ytm wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:00 pm
I think getting those pictures posted on this website was the first technical thing I've done in my lifetime. :D
Nice job ytm!! :sharebeer