Flight cancelled. Entitle to any compensation?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
hmw

Flight cancelled. Entitle to any compensation?

Post by hmw » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:49 pm

My wife and son were scheduled to fly from SFO back home on American Airlines. They were scheduled to leave SFO at around 3pm, and arrive at our home airport at around 10pm with one stop in between. Approximately 4 hours before departure, AA informed my wife that the 2nd leg was cancelled. My wife ended rebooking with AA. They ended up leaving SFO after mid night and got home at 10am the next day. Needless to say that they didn’t get much sleep. AA didn’t give my wife any reasons as to why the original flight was cancelled.

I googled the topic and couldn’t find anything definitive. It appears that if the cancellation was due to weather, then the passengers were not entitled to any compensation.

Has anyone encountered anything similar? Are my wife/son entitled to any compensation?

Thanks

livesoft

Re: Flight cancelled. Entitle to any compensation?

Post by livesoft » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:09 pm

You only get what you ask for. Whenever my spouse has something like this happen, she requests compensation and gets it. She doesn't care if she is entitled or not.

Ask / demand that AA give you something that AA can give you such as a voucher for 50% of the cost of the flights. Don't ask for cash and don't ask a free trip to Hawaii.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:16 pm

Did you book the trip with a credit card that has trip delay reimbursement or any type of insurance product? Most of the trip delay insurance products are reimbursement for costs associated with a delay over a certain amount of time, not just some cash in your pocket:

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/cards-wi ... bursement/

orlandoman

Post by orlandoman » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:17 pm

No not entitled to any compensation ...

"Contrary to popular belief, for domestic itineraries airlines are not required to compensate passengers whose flights are delayed or canceled."
https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/fly-rights
"Not everything you read on the Internet is true", Abraham Lincoln

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:19 pm

Once again, it DOES NOT MATTER if you are entitled or not. You HAVE TO ASK for compensation!
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Tribonian

Post by Tribonian » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:08 pm

AA recently changed a 6 hour trip into a 20 hour ordeal.

After getting stymied by the first two “customer service” reps on the phone, I filled out the survey they sent via e-mail and also wrote a detailed complaint. I’m told that social media works even better for prompting a response.

I ultimately received a polite apology and a few thousand AA points for my trouble. I don’t think there are any regulations that require compensation, but if you complain loudly and often, they might find it cost effective to mollify you somehow.

Creditcardguy

Post by Creditcardguy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:12 pm

My Delta flight was delayed about 5 hours due to mechanical delay. They put me on first class for the second leg which was fine with me. Another passenger called the hotline number, was very upset, and got a $200 voucher. He was announcing this to the rest of us. When I got home from the trip I called the hotline to request the $200 voucher, as another passenger got one. They looked it up to confirm and sent me (and my brother) a $200 for the next flight, within a year. Looks like the squeeky wheel gets the grease! :happy

cfs

Post by cfs » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:39 pm

Last September our flight to Madrid was delayed 5 hours in Washington DC (original aircraft was replaced due to electronic issues), for "customer appreciation" we both received an electronic travel certificate for the amount of $100 (each) for our next trip (we asked to be compensated). Good luck, y gracias por leer ~cfs~
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

Moolala

Post by Moolala » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:56 pm

Tribonian wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:08 pm

After getting stymied by the first two “customer service” reps on the phone, I filled out the survey they sent via e-mail and also wrote a detailed complaint. I’m told that social media works even better for prompting a response.

I ultimately received a polite apology and a few thousand AA points for my trouble. I don’t think there are any regulations that require compensation, but if you complain loudly and often, they might find it cost effective to mollify you somehow.
They do respond to all tweets, as far as I can tell! When my dad was getting no response during a recent and similarly long flight delay he tried twitter just for fun. Ultimately, they emailed with points, similar to the above.

The only times I've had absolutely *no* success were when flying "cheap" — i.e. "Basic Economy" and Frontier. Both experiences ultimately cost me just as much as buying a regular ticket. Not worth it. Never again!

bligh

Post by bligh » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:58 pm

Jeez. I wish this thread had popped up sooner or I had posted here when I ran into the issue 2 weeks ago.

I had Norwegian cancel my flight back from Rome and essentially move my return trip forward 2 days. I instead had them fly me back 3 days later on their next available flight.. (it cost an extra to stay for 3 nights in Rome + food). I got no compensation. I asked them to book me on a competitor's airline, they said sorry we cannot do that.

I had never had a flight cancelled on me like that before. Hopefully there wont be a next time, but if there is I will make sure make a bigger fuss.

neurosphere

Post by neurosphere » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:08 pm

https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/fly-rights
Each airline has its own policies about what it will do for delayed passengers waiting at the airport; there are no federal requirements. If you are delayed, ask the airline staff if it will pay for meals or a phone call. Some airlines, often those charging very low fares, do not provide any amenities to stranded passengers. Others may not offer amenities if the delay is caused by bad weather or something else beyond the airline's control. Contrary to popular belief, for domestic itineraries airlines are not required to compensate passengers whose flights are delayed or canceled. As discussed in the chapter on overbooking, compensation is required by law on domestic trips only when you are "bumped" from a flight that is oversold.
If you have to ask "Is a Target Date fund right for me?", the answer is "Yes".

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:39 pm

bligh wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:58 pm
Jeez. I wish this thread had popped up sooner or I had posted here when I ran into the issue 2 weeks ago.

I had Norwegian cancel my flight back from Rome and essentially move my return trip forward 2 days. I instead had them fly me back 3 days later on their next available flight.. (it cost an extra to stay for 3 nights in Rome + food). I got no compensation. I asked them to book me on a competitor's airline, they said sorry we cannot do that.

I had never had a flight cancelled on me like that before. Hopefully there wont be a next time, but if there is I will make sure make a bigger fuss.
I suggest you look into your rights under EU law

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/t ... dex_en.htm

Europe has much better consumer protections for travelers on flights departing from a European Union (and some other) airports and flights operated by EU carriers from anywhere.

j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:44 pm

Tribonian wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:08 pm

lol. I received 5k AA miles yesterday from customer service because I complained about my first class seat on my transcon flight Friday.

Good to have top tier status :D

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:35 am

bligh wrote:

They made you pay for hotel and meals for 3 days for their convenience and you haven't made a formal complaint to European Consumer Centre, ENAC Direzione Centrale Coordinamento Aeroporti Carta Diritti del Passeggero e Qualità dei Servizi, and US DoT, plus public social media? Lucky Norwegian.
Last edited by criticalmass on Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

01spirit750

Post by 01spirit750 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:39 am

You really need to review the airlines "contract of carriage" this is where it is spelled out. This is not a government law just what the airline policy is regarding your rights.

As I recall the airlines we had an issue with, had a 4 hour or longer delay clause where you were entitled to some form of compensation.

Here are the two issues we had

1. 2010 SFO to HNL to OGG- First leg - SFO flight cancelled. Rerouted to LA. delayed 15 hours from original scheduled departure (7am became 10pm). We received 5k frequent flyer miles.

2. OGG to SJC- after one hour of flying, mechanical issues (generator) required that we return to HNL. 4 hour delay on the ground at HNL before a replacement plane was found. We received $100 voucher

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:55 am

Livesoft's right, it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with whether you're legally entitled to compensation. The bottom line is that a customer was significantly inconvenienced, and you have a right to ask for compensation.

Many years ago, I was buying my first home computer (back then about a $2000 deal). I went to Best Buy and asked one of the "blue shirts" to assist me. Every time I wanted to ask a question he had disappeared. Finally he was gone and I was informed that he had gone home.

I got the store manager over, related the tale, and asked him what he could do to make sure I kept shopping and didn't go home. He said if I bought that day, he'd throw in a $50 credit.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:09 pm

As others said - not "entitled" to compensation but you may get some if you ask.
However, typically what they give you is a flight voucher that is good for 1 year. If you aren't planning on flying on that specific airline within 12 months the flight voucher will expire and your time will have been wasted. I've had several voucher's expire....

niceguy7376

Post by niceguy7376 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:10 pm

Just curious if really 5K miles addition to the account is of any worth.

N10sive

Post by N10sive » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:15 pm

If it was related to weather then they aren't required to compensate you. If it was due to their error than they should.

Recently I was on a southwest flight that was delayed 3 hours, luckily my connecting flight was delayed enough that I made it home at a decent hour. Southwest still gave me a flight voucher for the complete flight since the first flight was a 45 min flight that you could drive to in less than the delay time. I didn't even have to ask.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:21 pm

niceguy7376 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:10 pm
Just curious if really 5K miles addition to the account is of any worth.
If it's an airline that I fly with on a regular basis, sure, it's worth at least 50-100 bucks with the next redemption.

If it's an airline I would be unlikely to accumulate enough miles on for a free flight, it might still be worth something (there might be other options for using the miles such as shopping or conversion to gift cards).

That said, I don't complain about small nuisance issues. Stuff happens, and life is better when I don't get worked up about everything. And I don't want to be the next guy kicked out of a frequent flyer program for excessive complaining... :sharebeer

https://www.seattletimes.com/life/trave ... -miles-01/

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:25 pm

In Europe you are entitled to compensation. In America the airlines are just entitled. But it doesn't matter. Ask politely but insist on receiving a voucher or whatnot.

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:59 pm

hmw wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:49 pm
My wife and son were scheduled to fly from SFO back home on American Airlines. They were scheduled to leave SFO at around 3pm, and arrive at our home airport at around 10pm with one stop in between. Approximately 4 hours before departure, AA informed my wife that the 2nd leg was cancelled. My wife ended rebooking with AA. They ended up leaving SFO after mid night and got home at 10am the next day. Needless to say that they didn’t get much sleep. AA didn’t give my wife any reasons as to why the original flight was cancelled.

I googled the topic and couldn’t find anything definitive. It appears that if the cancellation was due to weather, then the passengers were not entitled to any compensation.

Has anyone encountered anything similar? Are my wife/son entitled to any compensation?

Thanks
This kind of problem is best entr entertained on the Flyertalk.com site. There are a ton of threads specific to each airline discussing typical compensation and acquisition strategies. Additionally, there are threads in the credit card forums for the card you may have used.

Creditcardguy

Post by Creditcardguy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:03 pm

I dunno, but when they roll the snack cart out at the Delta terminal, you know you're in trouble. :shock:

JuniorBH

Post by JuniorBH » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:16 am

Agree with the other folks who have said you need to call/email and ask for compensation. As long as your request is reasonable (i.e. you can't ask for a full refund of the cost of the flight), usually you'll end up with something, whether it's a voucher, miles, etc.

bligh

Post by bligh » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:40 pm

criticalmass wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:35 am
bligh wrote:

They made you pay for hotel and meals for 3 days for their convenience and you haven't made a formal complaint to European Consumer Centre, ENAC Direzione Centrale Coordinamento Aeroporti Carta Diritti del Passeggero e Qualità dei Servizi, and US DoT, plus public social media? Lucky Norwegian.
Like I said. I had no idea I had any options. Technically they were trying to fly me back 2 days early, I was the one that elected to stay 3 more days instead. Also it wasn't a last minute cancellation it was >6 weeks before the start of the trip. Anyway, Now that I have accepted the new flight back, and already booked the 3 additional nights of hotel stay, do I have any options besides going around posting 1 star reviews for them? Obviously I intend to be much more assertive about this in the future.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:50 pm

bligh wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:40 pm
criticalmass wrote:
bligh wrote:

Like I said. I had no idea I had any options. Technically they were trying to fly me back 2 days early, I was the one that elected to stay 3 more days instead. Also it wasn't a last minute cancellation it was >6 weeks before the start of the trip. Anyway, Now that I have accepted the new flight back, and already booked the 3 additional nights of hotel stay, do I have any options besides going around posting 1 star reviews for them? Obviously I intend to be much more assertive about this in the future.
I had a Norwegian flight JFK to Gatwick cancelled in March. They paid for our room near JFK, dinner and breakfast and put us on their morning flight about 12 hours later.

Since we lost a prepaid night we had booked in London, I later claimed the loss on their web site. After about a month, they eventually approved the compensation and wired the funds to my US checking account.

Assuming you have receipts, you could try filing the claim online.

queso

Post by queso » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:39 am

neilpilot wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:50 pm
bligh wrote:
criticalmass wrote:
bligh wrote:

I had a Norwegian flight JFK to Gatwick cancelled in March. They paid for our room near JFK, dinner and breakfast and put us on their morning flight about 12 hours later.

Since we lost a prepaid night we had booked in London, I later claimed the loss on their web site. After about a month, they eventually approved the compensation and wired the funds to my US checking account.

+1. Definitely file the claim. They sure aren't going to compensate you on their own so I'd at least go through the process of submitting for reimbursement and seeing what happens. I am going through this now with Aer Lingus, but it is a lot more straightforward on flights originating and terminating in the EU due to EC 261/2004.

Links in case they help:

https://www.aerlingus.com/media/pdfs/LE ... LATION.pdf

EDIT: Just saw your flight wasn't within the EU. :(

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:56 pm

bligh wrote:
criticalmass wrote:
bligh wrote:

That’s nice that they wanted you to fly home 2 days early instead of the date you paid for. And if that led you to miss a wedding, a job interview, or some other event, that would not have needed compensation? I would call them first to see what they offer before your complaints. At least you will see if they offered to make things right.

dbr

Post by dbr » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:06 am

bligh wrote:

Reviews don't hurt. Some airlines leave customers in more trouble than other airlines and every bit of information that helps customers be aware of the difference is a service done. Unfortunately too many people select on the last few percent lowest fare or try win bargains without recognizing there might be a price. That does not mean all the other airlines have stellar records.

The other aspect of this is that travel is travel and it is not reasonable to make big bets on everything going exactly as intended.

hmw

Post by hmw » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:42 pm

OP here.

My wife complained to AA. She was offered 10,000 frequent miles points each.

bligh

Post by bligh » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:04 pm

queso wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:39 am
neilpilot wrote:
bligh wrote:
criticalmass wrote:
bligh wrote:

+1. Definitely file the claim. They sure aren't going to compensate you on their own so I'd at least go through the process of submitting for reimbursement and seeing what happens. I am going through this now with Aer Lingus, but it is a lot more straightforward on flights originating and terminating in the EU due to EC 261/2004.

Links in case they help:

Thank you so much for the links and thank you to all who posted in this thread with information. You guys truly rock.

Just as an update to everyone.

We called up Norwegian to see what they could offer us, had a 1 hour or so hold and finally the customer service rep told us that they only accept claims online. We filled out the claim form with a firm but polite explanation of the situation and the receipts for our hotel stay. We are waiting to hear back from them. I will keep this thread updated on what happens next. :)

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:57 pm

queso wrote:

Links in case they help:

To be clear, EU consumer protection regulation does not just apply to flights within the EU. EU carriers (and Swiss carriers) are covered worldwide operations. Non-EU carriers are covered for flights departing from EU or Swiss airports.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_ ... n_261/2004

I have collect twice so far. Once for a delay for a departure from the US (carrier was LH) and once for a downgrade on a departure from Europe.

queso

Post by queso » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:10 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:57 pm
queso wrote:

Links in case they help:

To be clear, EU consumer protection regulation does not just apply to flights within the EU. EU carriers (and Swiss carriers) are covered worldwide operations. Non-EU carriers are covered for flights departing from EU or Swiss airports.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_ ... n_261/2004

I have collect twice so far. Once for a delay for a departure from the US (carrier was LH) and once for a downgrade on a departure from Europe.
Thanks for the clarification!

bligh

Post by bligh » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:00 am

neilpilot wrote:
bligh wrote:
criticalmass wrote:
bligh wrote:

Just an update on my experience. I filed a claim via their website. It was a polite request including an explanation of the situation and the costs along with attached receipts. I heard back from Norwegian several weeks later (about 4-5 weeks). They approved my claim and asked for my bank details to wire the funds. I responded to that email with the bank details a couple of weeks back. I haven't heard back since then and check my account for the funds periodically...I will follow up if I don't hear back in a couple more weeks. How long did it take for the funds to show up in your account after they approved your claim?

Anyway, I want to say a sincere "Thank You!" to NeilPilot, Queso & the other Bogleheads for taking the time to impart your advice. You guys absolutely rock. I had no clue this option was available to me, and for certain, would not have pursued making a claim if it weren't for you guys.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:12 am

bligh wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:00 am

Just an update on my experience. I filed a claim via their website. It was a polite request including an explanation of the situation and the costs along with attached receipts. I heard back from Norwegian several weeks later (about 4-5 weeks). They approved my claim and asked for my bank details to wire the funds. I responded to that email with the bank details a couple of weeks back. I haven't heard back since then and check my account for the funds periodically...I will follow up if I don't hear back in a couple more weeks. How long did it take for the funds to show up in your account after they approved your claim?

Anyway, I want to say a sincere "Thank You!" to NeilPilot, Queso & the other Bogleheads for taking the time to impart your advice. You guys absolutely rock. I had no clue this option was available to me, and for certain, would not have pursued making a claim if it weren't for you guys.
IIRC it took several weeks after I submitted my bank information before the claim was paid. They approved my claim on 4/26, they issued another email on 5/11, and the transfer appear in my checking account on 5/14. Also, my bank charged a $15 transfer fee.

queso

Post by queso » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:03 pm

Glad you are at least a little closer to working it out. I'm still nagging Aer Lingus to even respond to my online claim from 6/5. I switched from amending the claim online and asking for a status update to pinging them via direct message on Twitter, but I never hear anything back on my claim despite being told they are "escalating it" via Twitter. This seems to be a thing with them. I have seen a lot of people hijacking their Facebook feed to get attention to their cases, but I don't want to go there just yet. I'll threaten it, but I'd really hate to have to go on a social media rampage just to get my claim handled.

Ron

Post by Ron » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:40 pm

Just another story to add to the thread about what happened to us last month :mrgreen: ...

My wife/me were to fly out of Bergen, Norway to Copenhagen, Denmark in order to get our hop back to Newark, via SAS.

The feeder flight from Bergen was three hours late, and we took off from Bergen at the same time our flight was leaving Copenhagen. Just over an hour flight time to CPO, but of course they didn't hold the flight going to EWR (nor did I expect them to).

When we got to Copenhagen, the transfer desk scheduled us for a flight to EWR the next day, through an SAS partner. In addition, they gave us taxi vouchers to/from the hotel that they booked us (and paid for) near the airport. In addition, we received dinner/breakfast vouchers for the hotel.

Our flight to EWR on Sunday resulted in us being about 20 hours late from our original landing time.

At CPO, we were given a pamphlet on how we could apply for compensation for our inconvenience. I filled out the on-line application Monday morning and received a reply by Wednesday that they were in the investigative phase of the inquiry. About a week later, I received an email stating that each of us would receive 600 Euro's (1200 Euros total, $1400 at the then current exchange rate) that would be wired to my/our bank account since we arrived at our final destination at least four hours later than originally scheduled. The wire transfer was to happen within seven business days, but was done so in four.

I can't say why the plane was late getting to Bergen (weather/mechanical?) However, I'm certainly glad that the compensation more than paid for our kennel fees to take care of our two "fur-kids" while we were gone.
And getting back a day later? It's good to be retired :sharebeer ...

FWIW,

- Ron

clarkebarry

Post by clarkebarry » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:20 am

queso wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:03 pm
Glad you are at least a little closer to working it out. I'm still nagging Aer Lingus to even respond to my online claim from 6/5. I switched from amending the claim online and asking for a status update to pinging them via direct message on Twitter, but I never hear anything back on my claim despite being told they are "escalating it" via Twitter. This seems to be a thing with them. I have seen a lot of people hijacking their Facebook feed to get attention to their cases, but I don't want to go there just yet. I'll threaten it, but I'd really hate to have to go on a social media rampage just to get my claim handled.
Actually, you don't need to go on a social media rampage for a case like this. It's very unlikely that Aer Lingus would respond you back on social media. One of my friends had a similar case with British Airways and what he did indeed resulted in a successful compensation. He submitted the same online claim but he used some letter template that he was talking about. Yes, it was Flight Delay Letter Template https://www.claimflights.co.uk/flight-d ... r-template You can use it too to write a letter to Aer Lingus, I think you should try that as well. If you are still unsuccessful in getting a claim through Aer Lingus, you can approach an online claiming company. Such companies charge you around 25-35% as fees only if they have won your case.

queso

Post by queso » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:55 pm

clarkebarry wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:20 am
queso wrote:
Actually, you don't need to go on a social media rampage for a case like this. It's very unlikely that Aer Lingus would respond you back on social media. One of my friends had a similar case with British Airways and what he did indeed resulted in a successful compensation. He submitted the same online claim but he used some letter template that he was talking about. Yes, it was Flight Delay Letter Template https://www.claimflights.co.uk/flight-d ... r-template You can use it too to write a letter to Aer Lingus, I think you should try that as well. If you are still unsuccessful in getting a claim through Aer Lingus, you can approach an online claiming company. Such companies charge you around 25-35% as fees only if they have won your case.
Thanks for the tip! I DM'ed them on Twitter again and said I would file the official EU form and escalate to Airhelp (or similar) if I didn't hear something back from them and they responded (again...) and said they were sorry and were escalating my claim. It's been something like 74 days at this point so I am not hopeful. I went ahead and filled out the EU form and sent it off to the appropriate national enforcement body so we'll see what happens with that. I suspect I will continue to hear nothing so I'll most likely eventually just have to bite the bullet and hire one of the online claim services and pay the fee.

clarkebarry

Post by clarkebarry » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:17 pm

queso wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:55 pm
clarkebarry wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:20 am
queso wrote:
Actually, you don't need to go on a social media rampage for a case like this. It's very unlikely that Aer Lingus would respond you back on social media. One of my friends had a similar case with British Airways and what he did indeed result in a successful compensation. He submitted the same online claim but he used some letter template that he was talking about. Yes, it was Flight Delay Letter Template https://www.claimflights.co.uk/flight-d ... r-template You can use it too to write a letter to Aer Lingus, I think you should try that as well. If you are still unsuccessful in getting a claim through Aer Lingus, you can approach an online claiming company. Such companies charge you around 25-35% as fees only if they have won your case.
Thanks for the tip! I DM'ed them on Twitter again and said I would file the official EU form and escalate to Airhelp (or similar) if I didn't hear something back from them and they responded (again...) and said they were sorry and were escalating my claim. It's been something like 74 days at this point so I am not hopeful. I went ahead and filled out the EU form and sent it off to the appropriate national enforcement body so we'll see what happens with that. I suspect I will continue to hear nothing so I'll most likely eventually just have to bite the bullet and hire one of the online claim services and pay the fee.
Glad I could help! All the best for your claim.

queso

Post by queso » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:39 am

Thanks! I think they are just stalling for some reason. My claim is so straightforward that it would kill me to have to hire one of the settlement companies. Flight was from Bordeaux to Dublin at 9 am. They cancelled it because they didn't have enough passengers and could combine them all on their 4 pm flight. Then that flight was delayed. Oh, they also lost one of our bags, but that's tangential to the claim. :happy

queso

Post by queso » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:15 pm

Just an update. They emailed me today and said they are sending a check within 10 business days. Barring some snafu with the check it looks like it was just a matter of filing the claim on their website, waiting it out and occasionally nagging them. Claim was filed on 6/5 so 3 months to the day to get it resolved.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:29 pm

My learnings about compensation due to a flight delay were as follows:
1. When a flight is delayed, request a written explanation while you are still at the airport. Travel bloggers call it a "military excuse," and you don't need to be a member of the military to request it. The document must include the duration of the delay (based on the time of arrival) and the reason.
2. The European rules do not cover weather delays, whereas Chase insurance covers most delays except weather.
3. I usually book flights with Chase credit cards that have travel insurance. Read the travel coverage rules carefully; there are differences between cancellation/interruption and delay, and you have to apply for the appropriate insurance.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:43 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:29 pm
2. The European rules do not cover weather delays, whereas Chase insurance covers most delays except weather.
The European rules (EC 261/2004) do not require the airlines to pay compensation when the delay or cancellation is due to extraordinary circumstances. Weather is one example (but there are court cases where airlines lost if they claimed a knock-on effect of weather while weather at origin and destination was fine).

However, airlines are still have a duty of care even when travel is impacted by extraordinary circumstances (eg weather). This includes food/drinks and hotel accommodations if an overnight stay is required.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:33 am

TravelGeek wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:43 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:29 pm
The European rules (EC 261/2004) do not require the airlines to pay compensation when the delay or cancellation is due to extraordinary circumstances. Weather is one example (but there are court cases where airlines lost if they claimed a knock-on effect of weather while weather at origin and destination was fine).

However, airlines are still have a duty of care even when travel is impacted by extraordinary circumstances (eg weather). This includes food/drinks and hotel accommodations if an overnight stay is required.
TravelGeek,

Thank you for the details,

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)