MS Office 2016 "The Operating System Is Not Presently Configured To Run This Application"

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Rob5TCP

MS Office 2016 "The Operating System Is Not Presently Configured To Run This Application"

Post by Rob5TCP » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:43 am

For the past few weeks - periodically MS Office comes up with the following message

"The Operating System Is Not Presently Configured To Run This Application"

Fine - did a google search and found the instructions on the MS Website.
Two days later, same thing happens. I uninstall and then re-install and again
it is fine for a week.

Hopefully someone here has the same problem and found a permanent fix.
My next option is to go to the MS store and see if there is someone knowledgeable there.

nedsaid

Re: MS Office 2016 "The Operating System Is Not Presently Configured To Run This Application"

Post by nedsaid » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:31 am

Take the error message and Google it. Likely others have had the same problem and the more reputable message boards will recommend a good fix. Probably something is out there on the Microsoft website as well.
A fool and his money are good for business.

wfrobinette

Re: MS Office 2016 "The Operating System Is Not Presently Configured To Run This Application"

Post by wfrobinette » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:41 pm

nedsaid wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:31 am
Take the error message and Google it. Likely others have had the same problem and the more reputable message boards will recommend a good fix. Probably something is out there on the Microsoft website as well.
Dozen's of fixes came up.

wander

Post by wander » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:44 pm

Rob5TCP wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:43 am
For the past few weeks - periodically MS Office comes up with the following message

it is fine for a week.

My next option is to go to the MS store and see if there is someone knowledgeable there.
What OS did you install the MS Office 2016?

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:07 pm

The first bunch basically gave me uninstall and re-install
that works fine - for a day, week or even 2 weeks.

Further investigating found a rep who said Norton Internet security
has a conflict with MS Office. And he proceeded to blast NIS several times.
Even though not the best, I've had it for 15 years without incident.
(along with Malwarebytes and another scanner).

I am reluctant to change, but I may have to if this keeps happening.
I've emailed Norton and am waiting for a reply.

I may also walk over to the Microsoft store and see if they have suggestions.

Thank you for the replies.

Rob

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:08 pm

wander wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:44 pm
Rob5TCP wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:43 am

it is fine for a week.

What OS did you install the MS Office 2016?
Windows 7

wander

Post by wander » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:16 pm

Rob5TCP wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:08 pm
Windows 7
I install it on Windows 7 Home Premium for more than a year already and haven't got any issue.

brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:20 pm

OP, in fixing your keepass and gmail issue, did you do "something" to your OS?

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=249934

MS Office 16 should have no problems running on 7.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:06 pm

brokendirtdart wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:20 pm
OP, in fixing your keepass and gmail issue, did you do "something" to your OS?

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=249934

MS Office 16 should have no problems running on 7.
As I mentioned earlier - it may be with Norton Internet Security. At this point,
I have a folder setup for the next time this happens. I could do a re-install in about
5-10 minutes.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:30 pm

Though all the instructions said to uninstall first; then re-install - I tried just re-installing
MS Office. That was 12 days ago and so far no problems since.

That may turn out to be the solution - and ignore what MS advised.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:40 pm

About ten or fifteen years ago, I concluded that the only safe way to use antivirus programs is to do manual scans.

I do periodic manual scans (under Mac OS X) with Avast and Malwarebytes, and resist all nagging entreaties to install real-time shields or continuous internet protection or background scanning.

All of the "advanced" features involve the antivirus program sinking hooks deep into the vitals of the OS--I strongly suspect into undocumented places where hooks aren't supposed to go. At any rate, like all programs that modify the internals of the OS, they are fragile as heck with respect to OS updates. I have on too many occasions encountered nasty intermittent problems that went away when the antivirus program was uninstalled. (Of course that raises another problem because many antivirus programs are tenacious as heck and will not uninstall properly). They also have a tendency to cause performance problems.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:20 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:40 pm
About ten or fifteen years ago, I concluded that the only safe way to use antivirus programs is to do manual scans.

I do periodic manual scans (under Mac OS X) with Avast and Malwarebytes, and resist all nagging entreaties to install real-time shields or continuous internet protection or background scanning.

All of the "advanced" features involve the antivirus program sinking hooks deep into the vitals of the OS--I strongly suspect into undocumented places where hooks aren't supposed to go. At any rate, like all programs that modify the internals of the OS, they are fragile as heck with respect to OS updates. I have on too many occasions encountered nasty intermittent problems that went away when the antivirus program was uninstalled. (Of course that raises another problem because many antivirus programs are tenacious as heck and will not uninstall properly). They also have a tendency to cause performance problems.
I do keep mine "proactive", though I pay a price for that. I always have client data files and I want to minimize the chance of either their infecting me or vice versa. I have two anti virus (one is daily scan only) and malwarebytes.