FedEx Home Delivery and PO box

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
go_mets

FedEx Home Delivery and PO box

Post by go_mets » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:21 pm

I purchased a used laptop on eBay.

My verified shipping address for Paypal is a PO Box which usually isn't a problem.

The seller's checkout process did not flag the PO Box as a problem which has happened in the past.

It turns out that the laptop is being shipped by FedEx Home Delivery.
I called up FedEx HD and asked them to re-route to the street address of my PO Box. My post office offers this service.
FedEx told me the seller would have to do it.
The seller tells me that he won't do it because he loses Seller Protection.

The seller tells me he is going to try to get the package re-routed back to him, but he must not have done it because I see the package getting closer to me and not being returned to him. The package is now in my state. It was shipped from Washington state.

So what happens now?

vtjon

Re: FedEx Home Delivery and PO box

Post by vtjon » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:47 pm

I am not sure what specifically happens with FedEx Home Delivery but I have occasionally had things sent to my business PO Box via UPS (mostly international letters/documents). UPS would mail me a postcard to the PO Box with a phone number and tracking number it. I called the number and gave them a new address. They happen to be familiar with me because it has happened several times. I think originally they wanted me to pick it up at their station but it is over one hour away and I refused to do so.

mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:32 pm

Your package appears to currently be on a truck being shipped to your location. If the shipper has contacted FedEx and requested it to be returned to sender then the destination HD facility will get the request and will TRY to stop it before it goes out for delivery. Nothing happens while the package is traveling as no one can get at it. That is why you still see scans showing it moving through the system. In this case it can't go out for delivery because of an "incorrect" address. What should happen is if shipper notified FedEx it goes back to sender but what COULD happen is they send you a post card asking for your correct physical address.

go_mets

Post by go_mets » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:48 pm

I am very surprised that FedEx's software doesn't flag a PO Box as being a problem when the shipping information is entered by the seller.

I had the same thing happen with a recent UPS package. Fortunately for me, UPS let me re-route the package.

marshall

Post by marshall » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:55 pm

For the future, you may want to check to see if your local USPS participates in “Street Addressing”. This allows you to list the physical address of the USPS location and then your box number. Just google USPS street addressing to investigate this further.

go_mets

Post by go_mets » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:05 pm

marshall wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:55 pm
For the future, you may want to check to see if your local USPS participates in “Street Addressing”. This allows you to list the physical address of the USPS location and then your box number. Just google USPS street addressing to investigate this further.
Mine does. Which is how I was able to re-route with UPS.

In the past when I checkout on eBay, my PO Box address is flagged by some sellers.
I don't know if these two sellers didn't have the settings in place or what.

I wait await FedEx's next move.

MtnBiker

Post by MtnBiker » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:18 am

My understanding is that as the recipient you may be able to request for the package to be held for pickup at a local Fedex facility. (Not sure if Fedex Home is different from Fedex Ground in this regard.)
How do I change the delivery address on my shipment?

If you are the shipper, you may contact FedEx Customer Service at 1.800.GoFedEx 1.800.463.3339 to change the delivery address. A $12.50 service charge will be billed to the account on the shipment.

If you are the intended recipient of the package and you wish to provide additional information about the delivery address (example, add a suite or apartment number), you may contact FedEx Customer Service at 1.800.GoFedEx 1.800.463.3339. If you are the intended recipient and want the shipment delivered to a new address, contact the package's shipper and request the change of address.

You may request your package be held for pickup at your nearby FedEx Office location. For FedEx Express® packages, you may also request the package be held at the delivery station.
from FAQ at: http://www.fedex.com/us/customersupport ... ng/number/

Every package has a phone number for the recipient. If there is a problem with delivery I don't know why Fedex would not call you directly to get it straightened out. (Is your Paypal confirmed phone number correct?)

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:23 am

Our local Post Office will accept FedEx, UPS, etc. deliveries to PO Box holders (part of the PO Box fee) if the "shipping address" is the street address of the Post office branch. We have such a box and it is very handy and MUCH safer than having a delivery sit on our porch.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:49 am

Fedex has (or had) a relationship with USPS allowing FedEx packages to arrive at your box. I would ensure it is undeliverable before making changes. I've received FedEx packages before, they have to look up the post office's address if not on the package.

Also, (for next time) consider the Post Office GoPost locker, if available near you. Unlike PO boxes, GoPost is free and also accepts packages from all carriers. Just don't send letters to GoPost as they will cancel your account.

go_mets

Post by go_mets » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:22 pm

criticalmass wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:49 am
Fedex has (or had) a relationship with USPS allowing FedEx packages to arrive at your box. I would ensure it is undeliverable before making changes. I've received FedEx packages before, they have to look up the post office's address if not on the package.

Also, (for next time) consider the Post Office GoPost locker, if available near you. Unlike PO boxes, GoPost is free and also accepts packages from all carriers. Just don't send letters to GoPost as they will cancel your account.
As I wrote above twice, I do have street address capability for my PO box.
Unfortunately, the seller ignored/missed that the address was a PO box.
I was told by FedEx on the telephone that only the shipper/sender can change the address.

The seller PM'd me that he won't change the address, because he loses Seller Protection on eBay.
He wants to re-route the package back to him.

It is out of my hands.
I am interested to see if this has happened to someone else and what happened in that instance.

go_mets

Post by go_mets » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:24 pm

dm200 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:23 am
Our local Post Office will accept FedEx, UPS, etc. deliveries to PO Box holders (part of the PO Box fee) if the "shipping address" is the street address of the Post office branch. We have such a box and it is very handy and MUCH safer than having a delivery sit on our porch.
Mine does too.

Package was sent with PO Box address without my knowledge.
FedEx won't let me change it.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:25 pm

Just wait to be contacted by Fedex. They will call you when it ends up at the local Fedex depot and they figure out what happened when they see the address. Call them back when they do and give them your home address and it will show up the day after.

Looking4Answers

Post by Looking4Answers » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:06 pm

This might not apply to the package in question, but I signed up for Fedex Delivery Manager. It is free and does give options on certain packages.
I recently had a delivery changed to another address for a $5.00 charge. I also arranged for another package to be held at a local Walgreens for pick up.

https://www.fedex.com/en-us/faq/delivery-manager.html

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:33 pm

go_mets wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:22 pm
criticalmass wrote:

I was told by FedEx on the telephone that only the shipper/sender can change the address.

The seller PM'd me that he won't change the address, because he loses Seller Protection on eBay.

It is out of my hands.
I am interested to see if this has happened to someone else and what happened in that instance.

No need to repeat the same info thrice. I merely posted what happened in my case: when Fedex looked up the street address of the local post office where my PO box is, found it with their truck (despite only P.O. box and city on label), and I picked up my parcel at that location. No hassle, no drama.

As another poster mentioned, with Delivery Manager you can also request any incoming package be held at a FedEx location, or other places they have agreements with (like Walgreens drug stores near me.) But you have to add your P.O. box address to your Delivery Manager account.

go_mets

Post by go_mets » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:41 pm

criticalmass wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:33 pm
go_mets wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:22 pm
criticalmass wrote:

It is out of my hands.

No need to repeat the same info thrice. I merely posted what happened in my case: when Fedex looked up the street address of the local post office where my PO box is, found it with their truck (despite only P.O. box and city on label), and I picked up my parcel at that location. No hassle, no drama.

As another poster mentioned, with Delivery Manager you can also request any incoming package be held at a FedEx location, or other places they have agreements with (like Walgreens drug stores near me.) But you have to add your P.O. box address to your Delivery Manager account.
Your FedEx office must be smarter than mine.

I received a voicemail that the package was not deliverable.

I verbally gave the PO office's address to two different FedEx employees and they both got it wrong.
15 instead of 150
Even after I called and talked to FedEx employee #3 after one failed delivery attempt, they still had the wrong address.
Fortunately, the driver took matters into his own hands and called me.

That's how I was able to get my package!

I tried re-routing with Delivery Manager. It would have cost another $5.
I had already paid $15 shipping for an item that easily fits into a USPS Priority Mail Medium Flat Rate box and costs $13.75 to ship.
And would have gotten to my post office in at most 4 business days and not 8 days (9 days if you count Saturday June 2).

Overall, not impressed with the eBay seller and not impressed with FedEx Home Delivery.

Traveler

Post by Traveler » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:53 pm

Can you route it to a nearby Walgreens? FedEx partners with Walgreens as alternative delivery points.