want to buy a larger bed

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
boglemania

want to buy a larger bed

Post by boglemania » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:14 pm

We have a king, have heard of 'California King" ( I think it's just a few inches longer).But what are some of the options? We're both tall and we have pets squeezing in at times too. Would just be a nice luxury to use 1/3 of our time. Suggestions? Custom options? Thanks.

rhinopylon

Re: want to buy a larger bed

Post by rhinopylon » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:46 pm

Don't forget a California King is longer but it's a little narrower than a King.

Post by 123 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:46 pm

Google tells us "Simply put, a California King size mattress is 72 inches wide by 84 inches long (as opposed to 76 by 80 inches which is a standard King)".

So it's longer but narrower. That that means it's more cozy. Probably means some of the bedding may not fit.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:59 pm

Since the you're both tall and the California King is longer that seems like a good fit. But since it's narrower you may need to consider getting the pets their own bed(s). There are always trade-offs.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

JPH

Post by JPH » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:04 pm

My son is tall, and he is hanging on to an old waterbed because his feet don't hang off the end. I don't know if they are even made anymore.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:20 pm

boglemania wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:14 pm
We have a king, have heard of 'California King" ( I think it's just a few inches longer).But what are some of the options? We're both tall and we have pets squeezing in at times too. Would just be a nice luxury to use 1/3 of our time. Suggestions? Custom options? Thanks.
You already have a king, correct?

The change to a California King will not be all that noticeable.

[Sizes: CK: 72 inches wide by 84 inches long vs. K 76 wide by 80 inches vs. Queen 70 wide, 80 long]

Unless the pets really sleep at the very bottom of the bed, almost below your feet, the extra 4 inches in length won't help all the much there.
However, if either/both of you really have your feet against the bottom of the tucked in linens (or feet sticking out), then you - the humans - may benefit.

As for the width, again 4 inches. Would you notice?

Have you ever moved between a Queen and a King? That 6 inches less of width is very noticeable for most couples.
You might miss that width.
And unless the pets are, again, sleeping on the edge (side edges this time), I don't think it would help much with them.

Can you find a hotel/motel that has a California King? Spend a night to see how the different dimensions "feel" - especially that width.

The pets are likely to want to be "near you" no matter what sized bed you have. :happy
(Our cat used to enjoy sleeping between our knees or thighs, under all the covers. For way too long, we were reluctant, even in the middle of the night and groggy, to turn over "because we might disturb the cat" :oops: )

Custom bed? Probably expensive.
BTW, I never understood why the Cal King wasn't just a wide as a regular King.
Either way, you should be able to use the same linens except for any fitted bottom sheets.
And if you have extra top sheets, they can be made up as bottom sheets with those nice sharp hospital corners...

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:29 pm

DON'T buy a California king. Sheets are hard to find.

Now if the California king was wider...then the explanation could be...wider to allow room for...extras??

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:20 pm

Buy a queen of same height and slide them together. My wife and I did that for a long time (when our daughter slept with us, along with cats).

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:39 pm

boglemania wrote:
What problem are you trying to solve? If the problem is length, the CA king might be helpful. If the problem is something else, it seems it would not be helpful.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:43 pm

boglemania wrote:
Keep your king size bed.
Move the pets to their own bed.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:45 pm

If you calculate overall surface area, the California king is actually slightly SMALLER than a regular king mattress.

minimalistmarc

Post by minimalistmarc » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:55 pm

Wife and I are both 6 ft + and we have a superking.

Do you not get these in USA?

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:47 pm

80 inches is 6 ft 8. You'd have to be pretty tall for a king to be a problem. I've never had an issue at 6 ft 3. And it's not like you sleep fully extended at maximum height.

jbuzolich

Post by jbuzolich » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:07 pm

We have a standard King which is wider. Also sometimes called an Eastern King to differentiate from the California. Regular King is more common name though. California king in the last 15 years seem to be considered the best by many but they are longer at the trade of being slightly more narrow. I'm 6'3" and find the extra length not needed at all. Regular King is my favorite. Sheets in our stores are far more common to see California king which is opposite some other posts here. Our regular King sheets I end up ordering online with good luck. I shop sheets now entirely by material and weave but not brand at all or even thread count. 100% cotton in percale weave is all we try and buy for our preference. Crispy feel.

boglemania

Post by boglemania » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:52 pm

Mostly want a WIDER bed. And want something larger than a California king. Like I said it's a luxury but if i'm there 1/3 of my life, it's worth it. Whereas I'm rarely in my car, so don't value (spend) that much on it. Any custom ideas?