Tool board for basement - plywood or pegboard?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Triple digit golfer

Tool board for basement - plywood or pegboard?

Post by Triple digit golfer » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:19 am

I would like to build a 4' x 8' board for one wall (drywall) of my basement to hang all of my tools. Currently they're in drawers in a work bench or just piled up on shelves.

I am debating between 3/4" plywood or a pegboard.

I know that for a pegboard, I would need furring behind it to draw it away from the wall. I would think that four horizontal strips nailed into the studs would probably be sufficient. I'm not going to have very heavy items on it. The heaviest item would be a pipe wrench.

How would it work with plywood? Would I simply nail the plywood into the studs and then use maybe 1 1/2" wood screws as the hooks for my tools? As I'm screwing in the wood screws, I assume that I would not want to go past the plywood and into the drywall. Or would it not matter? Would a 1 1/2" screw screwed into 3/4" plywood hold 5 pounds hanging from it?

cockersx3

Re: Tool board for basement - plywood or pegboard?

Post by cockersx3 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:31 am

I'd go with pegboard. There are lots of different variations of tool holders available to fit the pegboard, and they're not that expensive. It also allows you to move the holders around a bit as you learn how you use it - ie, may want to move more commonly used tools lower and easier to access, maybe group things together, etc.

I mounted mine with 2x3's oriented around the perimeter of the board, and it worked well. Also will need a strip down the center of the board (vertically across the middle) to keep the thing from flexing in the middle as you use it. While you do lose access to the holes covered down the center of the board, you can use nails / long screws in those areas to store things so it's no all entirely wasted space.

And yeah, having all your tools easily available / locatable is very nice. Hate having to dig through my toolbox to find a specific size wrench, nit driver, etc. Unbelievable how much time you can waste looking for tools for a specific job...

Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:34 am

cockersx3 wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:31 am
I'd go with pegboard. There are lots of different variations of tool holders available to fit the pegboard, and they're not that expensive. It also allows you to move the holders around a bit as you learn how you use it - ie, may want to move more commonly used tools lower and easier to access, maybe group things together, etc.

I mounted mine with 2x3's oriented around the perimeter of the board, and it worked well. Also will need a strip down the center of the board (vertically across the middle) to keep the thing from flexing in the middle as you use it. While you do lose access to the holes covered down the center of the board, you can use nails / long screws in those areas to store things so it's no all entirely wasted space.

And yeah, having all your tools easily available / locatable is very nice. Hate having to dig through my toolbox to find a specific size wrench, nit driver, etc. Unbelievable how much time you can waste looking for tools for a specific job...
Thanks for your post. I'm assuming the perimeter has to be on studs so the 2x3's have something to be drilled into.

Would horizontal strips not suffice?

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:38 am

Strips either way works. I've got pegboard in my garage and in my basement and it's the best thing since sliced bread. Paint it white as it brightens the room without adding lights.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:47 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:38 am
Strips either way works. I've got pegboard in my garage and in my basement and it's the best thing since sliced bread. Paint it white as it brightens the room without adding lights.
Do you think vertical strips are necessary for the edges? I'd like to not have to line up the left and right edges perfectly with studs. By not doing that I will also avoid having to cut the board to size. I was thinking three or four horizontal strips using 1x2s going the full width of the board and drilling them. into each stud.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:22 am

Definitely pegboard. I have a lot of pegboard installed in my garage and it is very convenient. One of the nice things about pegboard is that there are a lot of hook options. For example, I have my gas string trimmer and gas blower both hanging from specialty peg hooks. The weight is not a problem at all. There are special hooks for hammers, bigger loop hooks that will hold a saw; there are lots and lots of options.

I installed mine by just cutting some furring squares off of a strip and placing them behind the pegboard at each stud point where I attached the pegboard to the wall with a wood screw into the stud. It’s plenty strong enough and maximizes open holes in the pegboard. I would buy the thicker board if available.

Traveller

Post by Traveller » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:32 am

Definitely pegboard. When I bought some not long ago, they had sheets in 2 thicknesses. Get the thicker stuff - it was maybe 1/4" thick vs 1/8".

TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:33 am

Pegboard

Buy a white 4'x8' sheet of pegboard and 1- 8' x 1 1/2" ferring strip, cut the ferring strips about 3" long and predrill a hole and screw to the stud, attach pegboard to ferring strip. Look at Harbor Freight they have many types of hooks, with 20% off coupon on the net.

btenny

Post by btenny » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:38 am

Pegboard mounted on the wall with furring strips is the best way to go. Mount it above a work bench or a old bedroom dresser with drawers for stuff. Then put some open shelves near this setup for bigger items.

Good Luck.

PrettyCoolWorkshop

Post by PrettyCoolWorkshop » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:56 am

3/4 plywood with 1-1/2 inch screws drilled into it would easily hold the 5 pounds you need.

My opinion of the difference between plywood and pegboard: With plywood, you can use nails, screws, bent wire, little custom pieces of wood to make toolholders of all sorts. If you are at least a little handy it can be cheaper than buying the kits of pegboard-compatible accessories that you would need with pegboard. This does require more effort though.
Be greedy and fearful. All the time.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:04 am

If you want to go fancy, there are systems that are basically boards with grooves that hooks/hangers are slid into.

They are much more expensive than a plywood sheet or a pegboard, but some folks like a sharp looking garage.

Me, I like pegboards. Simple, cheap, very versatile with scads of possible hanging patterns.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:20 am

I mount peg board with standoffs 1"x1"x1/2" blocks that hold the board away from the wall and let me use any hole not used to screw it to the wall. Furring strips block a fairly high percentage of the holes, usually including the ones I want. If the studs are not conveniently located I use furring strips across the studs and standoffs between the furring strips and the peg board.

I've got over fifty pounds of tools hanging on peg board mounted with twenty screws. I could probably get by with four, but the board isn't quite stiff enough for my taste.

Peg board also comes in a number of finishes and strength. I use the type that looks a bit less like cardboard.

Also peg comes with at least two different hole sizes. Small pegs fit in large holes but they fall out of the large holes every time you take a tool down. This is annoying. Think of the whole system and get parts that mesh. Duck tape may also help.

GAAP

Post by GAAP » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:32 am

How about a third option -- slatwall. Costs more, but you have the full range of options used in retail establishments -- everything from simple hooks to baskets of varying size.

I put some scraps in my last house, using baskets for some items, hooks for others, even used some bars for clothing hangers to put extension cords on.

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:06 pm

If you want pegboard, but want to make it look a little more slick, take a look at steel pegboard.

Sturdier than regular pegboard, easy to install directly on the studs; no need for wood or anchors (as long as your studs line up), because this pegboard already has the built-in gap you'd need. I've got 6 of them together on one wall, and get compliments on them all the time. The hook/slot system allows for a lot more versatility & weight than the holes in standard pegboard do.

This company also makes a matching tool rail organizer.

Splanchnic

Post by Splanchnic » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:33 pm

Slatwall. Strong. Looks good. Lols of options for hanging.

I used handiwall on my last project. Made from PVC. Super tough and not affected by moisture.

DarthSage

Post by DarthSage » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:37 pm

Another vote for pegboard. In my craft room, I didn't need much depth, so DH framed two large pieces and mounted them on the wall. In his workshop, he has 1"x2"s behind it. Pegboard has a bunch of hanging options, from long rods to curved hooks to special scissor-type holders to strips of little jars (for little bolts and stuff).

If you want to get fancy, you can designate a place for each tool, and outline it in red, right on the pegboard. That way, you always know if something's missing. Since your'e new to it, you might want to wait a couple months before you do this, just so you can have your commonly used tools within easiest reach. This is particularly helpful if you have friends or family members who borrow your tools.

Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:46 pm

Thank you ALL very much for your posts.

After the overwhelming response in favor of pegboard, I am going to go with it. For a 4' tall by 8' wide piece, I'm going to try three 8' long pieces of 1x2 going horizontally for the backing. I'm not going to worry about vertical supports. We'll see how it turns out.

Loik098 - I like that steel pegboard a lot, but I would need five of those at $31.xx each. I could do the standard pegboard with wood for a fraction of the cost. Plus, being a relatively new homeowner with limited handyman skills, I could use the practice that this relatively simple project with the wood will give me.

Bogle7

Tool board for basement

Post by Bogle7 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:10 pm

1/2 plywood
paint it white
use nails to hold tools, outline the tool with a marker
build your own screwdrivers and files holders out of scrap lumber.
these are handy https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007NC307I/ . I fastened mine to the board. They pens, and other small items.

I have done this method in 3 houses.

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:54 pm

Make sure to get pegboard hooks that have a little "tab" on them. It helps keep them in the board when moving tools in and out.

gliderpilot567

Post by gliderpilot567 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:13 pm

Epsilon Delta wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:20 am
I mount peg board with standoffs 1"x1"x1/2" blocks that hold the board away from the wall and let me use any hole not used to screw it to the wall. Furring strips block a fairly high percentage of the holes, usually including the ones I want. If the studs are not conveniently located I use furring strips across the studs and standoffs between the furring strips and the peg board.
This. I highly recommend the standoffs, else you will end up blocking a lot of holes with furring strips. It is worth the few minutes extra time. They sell plastic standoffs that you can use, but they are a PITA to install and honestly it is much easier to fashion your own out of small blocks of wood like Epsolon said.

Also, to keep hooks secure. You can use steel wire bent into a loop and threaded behind tool hooks then looped back over and twisted into place to hold them securely in place without the hooks falling off every time you grab a tool. Find the Instructable online titled "Keeping Pegboard Hooks From Falling Out When Removing Tools". It is easier to see than explain in words. You can do it all from the front side of the board too and it is removable, making a strong but semi-permanent solution that can be reconfigured if needed. There are also tons of ideas and techniques on youtube or pinterest; have fun!

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:52 am

You have a choice of 1/8" or 1/4" pegboard. Definitely go for 1/4 ". The size refers to both the thickness and the size of the holes.

You have a choice of tempered or non-tempered. Tempered is smoother, harder and stronger. Note that many lumber clerks at big box stores like Home Depot have never heard of the difference between tempered and non-tempered pegboard, and they may not have it in stock. You may have to go to a real lumber yard.

Pegboard is also available in brown or white. It is sometimes hard to find 1/4" tempered white pegboard, but it is made.

Ralph

leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:11 am

I’m too late to help the OP, but put me down as a pegboard hater. The hooks fall out all the time, even with the retainers. You do not end up rearranging things once they are in place, so the modularity of pegboard and slat Wall is not worth it.

Plywood is the way to go. You can make custom holders and also use screws. You can find long magnetic bars for screwdrivers, pliers, etc.

Making custom holders is a lot of fun though.

MastersChampion

Post by MastersChampion » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:13 am

I suppose I'm also too late, but I vote for plywood. I have two 4x8 plywood tool boards in my shop and I love them.

I looked at pegboard but it would have cost me a fortune to buy all the hooks I need. I figured more people on a BH board would have chosen the ply+screw route.

The other feature I like is that I can make my own fixtures for certain tools, like a circular saw holder, and attach them to my plywood easier than I could have to pegboard. I made one similar to the one here:

https://wilkerdos.com/2014/02/diy-power ... ge-system/

I'm sure either route will get you to your destination - a cleaner shop!

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:19 am

I see I'm too late but my vote would be neither! Peg board holes wear out and often times attachments fall out when you remove tools. You can by an assortment of hangers for peg boards but often times they don't fit the tools very well or if you have a lot of tools, you can't space them close enough to get a lot of tools on them. I started off with plywood, moved to pegboard and am replacing that by building customizable wall mounted tool chests. I never have to worry about things wearing out, I can place things close enough together than I can get a large amount of tools in a much smaller space than pegboard, they don't get dirty because they are open to the surroundings, their are infinite possibilities for storing any tool you own and it just looks much classier. Also someday my grandchildren can inherit them and use them.

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2016/11 ... se-storage

FeesR-BullNotBullish

Post by FeesR-BullNotBullish » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:28 am

I'm late as well, but I want to re-affirm the support for pegboard! Hooks usually stay on when I remove tools slowly and deliberately. I'd like to hang pegboard floor to ceiling all over the house, but i prefer living in harmony with DW.

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:33 am

No votes for magnetic strips? I’m not a fan of pegboard. Expensive and doesn’t hold up and work as well as you’d think. A piece of plywood is cheap and great for customizable holders. Much preferred in my book.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:36 am

I brought old kitchen cabinets into my basement, put them against one wall and keep large tools and plumbing/electrical supplies in there. On the wall above I have 2 shelves with small supplies and spray cans. All my small tools are in a tool box plus a spare one. I found out that it is not desirable when working in a second floor bedroom or bath room and forgot a tool and have to run repeatedly to the basement. I bring all my tools in a toolbox plus electrical tools upstairs when I start a job.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:01 pm

FeesR-BullNotBullish wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:28 am
I'd like to hang pegboard floor to ceiling all over the house, but i prefer living in harmony with DW.
Have you considered installing picture rails as a compromise?

Or maybe a nice shaker style peg rail.
Last edited by Epsilon Delta on Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:02 pm

French cleats or peg board.

mouses

Post by mouses » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:57 pm

I love pegboard.

I have several large pieces of the thick kind nailed up in my garage. The studs are exposed in the garage, so it is easy to just nail the heck out of it into the studs. I have many pegboard hooks, and they handle heavy weights. I put two adjacent to each other to handle things like hammers, the hammer going in between them and the claw part extending over both. I need to get some sort of basket things, but I haven't found any I like online.

I don't understand the complaints about hooks falling out. The kind I have have some configuration in the part that goes into the pegboard that probably prevents this. Also I don't have the wimpy thin pegboard. It is fine holding up my sawzall in its case, which I struggle to lift on to the pegboard, it weighs a lot.

Plywood seems like it would be a lot more work.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:23 pm

Deleted