weighted blankets

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
3feetpete

weighted blankets

Post by 3feetpete » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:46 pm

Does anybody have experience with weighted blankets? I was thinking of getting me one to see if it helps me get a better nights sleep. I would want one that was cool. Brand? Price Point? Sizing

Re: weighted blankets

Post by 123 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:07 pm

I had never heard of a weighted blanket till I just looked it up. Since others may be curious as well a weighted blanket provides more of a sensory feel, like a hug, and may provide more comfort to those impacted by autism and some other conditions.

One thing to consider, depending on the size of the bed, is if a larger regular blanked could provide similar benefits. We have a queen size bed but use a king-sized blankets (sometimes turned sideways) for additional warmth since one of us tends to hog the blankets. Using a king size blanket sideways on our queen bed results in a blanket that almost touches the floor on each side. There is now just too much blanket to "hog" (success!). A larger blanket will naturally provide more weight but if it almost touches the floor it might not work with your bedspread in terms of appearance.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

28fe6

Post by 28fe6 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:19 pm

my wife wants to get one for one of our children that has trouble sleeping. Watching this thread with interest.

perl

Post by perl » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:29 pm

I got a locally handmade weighted blanket for my child who has sensory processing disorder. It works great, but is thick and warm. Personally I have always liked heavy blankets and use a heavy duvet cover over my regular insulated comforter for this.

I don't know of lightweight ones, but would like to hear about them. Personally I would look on Etsy, because this sounds like a niche for someone to make by hand.

Be aware that weighted blankets are a suffocation hazard for very young children and people with motor disabilities that limit their mobility, and have resulted in deaths. I'm not saying this applies to you, but could for others reading the thread.

One Ping

Post by One Ping » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:04 pm

3feetpete wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:46 pm
Does anybody have experience with weighted blankets? I was thinking of getting me one to see if it helps me get a better nights sleep. I would want one that was cool. Brand? Price Point? Sizing
Just did a search using 'cool weighted blanket'. Seems to be quite a few, some even mentioned alternatives to get the same 'feeling' but with a cooler blanket/sheet.
"Re-verify our range to target ... one ping only."

TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:51 am

My sister was just telling us she got one earlier this week. She loves it! She tosses and turns less and gets much better sleep. The only thing she doesn't like it for is reading a book in bed -- but I assume she'll figure that out eventually.

ETA -- in the winter, my husbands adds "weight" to his side of the bed for sleeping. But it's too much for summer.

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:35 pm

I'm not sure how cool it is, but my wife swears by this brand. She has 3 each with different weights and sizes. Magic Weighted blanket. She tried one or two other brands and didn't like them as much and switched all to this brand.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06 ... UTF8&psc=1

That said, I don't like them. I don't like having to move them, or push them to the other side of the bed. And I have no idea how you'd ever wash it. But it makes the wife happy, so it's worth it.

Onion

Post by Onion » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:44 pm

I looked into weighted blankets and was concerned about washings and heft. Plus, if I hated it, what then? I purchased a heavyweight cotton blanket for fairly reasonable and use that. It either makes a difference or works as a placebo; either way, I'm happy.

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:29 am

You can search for "gravity blankets" on Amazon. It seems that it should weight about 10% of your body weight. I'm interested in hearing from others that have tried one.

Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:05 pm

We used one for our son when he was little. He was (is) a hyper kid and it did seem to help him calm down for sleep a little. I can't remember the brand or anything but he has always liked to be under tons of blankets. He's nearly 12 now and manages himself more easily and we don't have it anymore. That's not really helpful, sorry!

AND_YOU_ARE

Post by AND_YOU_ARE » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:49 pm

I purchased a weighted blanket for my wife as a gift after she had heard about them and wanted to give it a try. After some research online and in stores, I went with this on:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

We have a king size bed, and the blanket covers just over half of the bed. She loves it, and used it every night until the hot humid weather came. The one I selected isn't warm so in the winter she still slept with a down comforter, but you could sleep with it in the warmer months. We haven't washed it yet because we put it in a duvet cover to match our bedspread.

I have tried it a few times, and while it is nice, I'm not sure I would need to use one every night. I would recommend it.

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:28 am

I came across this article today in the Washington Post and found this conversation:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... 3423ba4d34
I am going to give one a try.
Best Wishes, | Joe

NoProbLlama

Post by NoProbLlama » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:04 pm

I purchased one of these just a few weeks ago for DW's birthday & she's basically lived under it every minute she's at the house.

I'd never heard of these until I saw it on this forum in the "best purchases of 2018" thread. After the initial sticker shock of those prices for "just a blanket", I finally purchased the same model that "AND_YOU_ARE" linked a couple posts above. I was amazed at how truly excited DW was when she opened the box.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:33 am

don't own one, don't plan on getting one, don't know how much these cost, but i got an email from one of my shopping deal sites today and they have one of these for supposedly half off. i remembered reading this thread earlier and thot i'd post the link if anyone is interested.

https://untilgone.com/products/hotel-el ... s-or-20lbs

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:41 am

My mom used weighted blankets to control her restless leg syndrome at night while sleeping. They worked well but even the cools ones were really warm during the summer time.

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:09 pm

I thought I would like one as I like additional blankets at the foot of my bed which add weight.

I was given one as a gift for xmas and really tried to like it as it was an expensive gift.

Unfortunataly it just adds too much weight, I went by the guidline of 10% of body weight for the blanket. I felt trapped if It was covering most of my body, it was like a workout to roll over! I then just put it at the foot of the bed which was better, but still too much weight.

I finally decided it was best to return it. I replaced it with a heated blanket that just covers the lower portion of my bed which I like much better.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

Range

Post by Range » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:43 pm

The best weighted blanket i've come across is called Honeybird.

http://bitly.com/31xDqno

It prides itself for its breathability, which is important considering these things can weigh 20 pounds (or more). You don't have to have one one for the summer and another for the winter.

The pricing is somewhere inbetween the cheap ones you can find at a Target and the super expensive ones that can go for more than $250. Their lightest one is going for $105.

Has anyone else tried this brand out?
Last edited by Range on Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:11 pm

My cat has slept on my chest and stomach for 17 years.

. . . weighted blanket. . . . . plus heat. . . . :shock:

. . . also includes purring to help sleep. . . . :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Range

Post by Range » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:50 pm

Haha, just as I said: Heat is the big fear!

Summer is a great time to buy for the discounts. Their promo code SUMMER10 gave me a good deal.

mx711yam

Post by mx711yam » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:04 pm

I use one. I definitely sleep better with it but it is much hotter. I don't recall the brand but Costco sells them

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:13 pm

Wife and I tried one, and we both hated it!

I felt like I was trapped in a spider web.

We gave it away after a week.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams

AnonJohn

Post by AnonJohn » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:08 am

I've used one for a year and a half. I'd recommend, but with caveats:
1. Heat is an issue. I'm an absurdly hot sleeper. My wife is often buried beneath blankets while I'm going to lower the thermostat. By buying the most breathable one I could find this is mitigated but not resolved.
2. It doesn't help me fall asleep, in fact, it can detract when I want to move around to find a cooler / comfortable position.
3 ... BUT: I sleep more deeply under it once asleep. You know that feeling you get waking up cocooned in blankets on a winter night? So comfortable you just don't want to move at all? That's it ... it's chasing that feeling (and the associated deep sleep) that keeps me using it.

camden

Post by camden » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:39 am

Wife likes the weighted blanket for a nap, but found it much too warm for an evening’s sleep. Too alleviate her problem with getting too warm under standard blankets in the middle of the night, she bought a Chili pad. Loves it. Expensive, but problem solved.

shell921

Post by shell921 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:47 am

I have had a weighted blanket for almost 2 years now. I like it but it's too hot for summertime use.
I think I paid $200.