Sherwin Williams paint

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
atlanta_dad

Sherwin Williams paint

Post by atlanta_dad »

Doing interior painting for our single family home starting next week, yet to buy the paint. Decided to go with Sherwin Williams brand. Just checked the website and found there is a 30% sale going on, I need to stop by at the store tomorrow and check. Do they have usually all colors available in the store or should I have ordered it already? Please share ways to save money on paint from your experiences. Is it cheaper to buy at SW store, or Home Depot or Lowes etc? Any other tips.

Thanks in advance!!
Pajamas

Re: Sherwin Williams paint

Post by Pajamas »

atlanta_dad wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 8:58 pm Do they have usually all colors available in the store or should I have ordered it already?
Can't they basically mix any color you want while you wait?
Kosmo

Post by Kosmo »

They'll make any color on the spot in the store. The cost of the paint will be cheaper at Home Depot or Lowes. But the quality of paint will be much better getting it from a dedicated paint store. Lowes does sell Sherwin Williams paint, but their top grade paint is a middle grade from a paint store. My experience has been that employees at paint stores know their stuff much much better than the paint department people at bog box store, so that's the place to ask questions.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Kosmo wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:10 pm They'll make any color on the spot in the store. The cost of the paint will be cheaper at Home Depot or Lowes. But the quality of paint will be much better getting it from a dedicated paint store. Lowes does sell Sherwin Williams paint, but their top grade paint is a middle grade from a paint store. My experience has been that employees at paint stores know their stuff much much better than the paint department people at bog box store, so that's the place to ask questions.
I have seen some types of Behr brand paint (at Home Depot) rated very highly and especially when value is taken into consideration.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

The 30 % sale is ongoing and usually is for non sale items if I recall. Having said that I buy almost all my paint from SW as the staff know their stuff and have helped me on many occasions. As always no matter what paint you use, preperation is the key. They, and most other outlets, will custom match any color you bring in.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Pajamas wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:13 pm
Kosmo wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:10 pm They'll make any color on the spot in the store. The cost of the paint will be cheaper at Home Depot or Lowes. But the quality of paint will be much better getting it from a dedicated paint store. Lowes does sell Sherwin Williams paint, but their top grade paint is a middle grade from a paint store. My experience has been that employees at paint stores know their stuff much much better than the paint department people at bog box store, so that's the place to ask questions.
I have seen some types of Behr brand paint (at Home Depot) rated very highly and especially when value is taken into consideration.
I've used both SW and Behr and haven't noticed any difference. Maybe in a couple decades I might.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

cheese_breath wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:59 pm
I've used both SW and Behr and haven't noticed any difference. Maybe in a couple decades I might.
The way I look at it, the paint is cheap compared to either my own effort or the cost of someone else's labor to apply it. Good paint also is much easier to use and looks better, so I think it's worth it. One time I had to paint something with cheap paint from K-Mart. Might be an extreme example but that was a miserable experience for mediocre results.
bradpevans

Post by bradpevans »

Pajamas wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 11:18 pm
cheese_breath wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:59 pm
The way I look at it, the paint is cheap compared to either my own effort or the cost of someone else's labor to apply it. Good paint also is much easier to use and looks better, so I think it's worth it. One time I had to paint something with cheap paint from K-Mart. Might be an extreme example but that was a miserable experience for mediocre results.
I agree. Your labor saves the big $. Don’t scrimp on paint. SW knows there stuff
kelvan80

Post by kelvan80 »

We just did out whole house SW Repose Gray. It's gorgeous! You can tell Home depot exactly what you want, they have all the formulas, and get it in any type of paint.
nordsteve

Post by nordsteve »

One benefit of my local paint store (Benjamin Moore in my case) is that I can call ahead to have the paint I want mixed. HD won't do that for me. Saves a bunch of time in the store, particularly when it's busy.
mouses

Post by mouses »

Also, bad paint is a pain in the neck to apply. I forget the horrible stuff I bought once years ago, but it took three coats to get coverage. I have been in the SW store several times lately and they do really know their stuff. Both highly recommended painters doing estimates on my house use SW.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

I have no recommendation on paint brand, but I do have one huge caveat. Some years ago we had our house painted, using paint we selected at Home Depot. I don't remember the specific brand, but I do remember that the brand we chose advertised an additive that "hardened" the dried paint and supposedly made it more resistant to weathering long-term. That may have been true, but we did not get a chance to find out, because what their "additive" actually did was to make the paint more brittle and much less tolerant to normal seasonal expansion and contraction. So after only a year or two of hot summers, the new coats of paint were cracking.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
annielouise

Post by annielouise »

We have textured walls and SW usually requires 2 full coats. Behr makes a paint+primer sold at Home Depot that covers in one. SW is likely fine for smooth walls.
indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease »

atlanta_dad wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 8:58 pm Doing interior painting for our single family home starting next week, yet to buy the paint. Decided to go with Sherwin Williams brand. Just checked the website and found there is a 30% sale going on, I need to stop by at the store tomorrow and check. Do they have usually all colors available in the store or should I have ordered it already? Please share ways to save money on paint from your experiences. Is it cheaper to buy at SW store, or Home Depot or Lowes etc? Any other tips.

Thanks in advance!!
2 years ago my painter use what is called SW super paint. What a great difference in paint. One coat is all you need. I was lucky and received his discount when I went to SW and purchased under his account.
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

You pay a premium for SW...but for good reason. its the only paint I use. Im painting over walls that already had a light coating of paint...but I never had to apply more than 1 coat. I painted primer on new drywall...then SW...again...no more than 1 coat with the final color.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

I have used SW paint the last several jobs and I recommend it. However, I recommend you get the Harmony paint since it is no VOC which means you won't have that paint smell that accompanies most paint and it's better for the environment. my 2 cents. Harmony may be more expensive (a little) but it's worth it).
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

atlanta_dad wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 8:58 pm Doing interior painting for our single family home starting next week, yet to buy the paint. Decided to go with Sherwin Williams brand. Just checked the website and found there is a 30% sale going on, I need to stop by at the store tomorrow and check. Do they have usually all colors available in the store or should I have ordered it already? Please share ways to save money on paint from your experiences. Is it cheaper to buy at SW store, or Home Depot or Lowes etc? Any other tips.

Thanks in advance!!
After discovering SW paint, I will never go back to buying paint from a big box store. SW paint will cover a wall, even a textured wall in one coat but I'm usually not as thorough of a painter as I could be and have to go back and touch up spots. Generally because of that, I just do the second coat rather than try to identify all the thin spots.

30% sales are quite often and 40% off sales happen fairly regularly. I'm guessing the 40% sales happen three or four times a year so I generally wait for them and stock up at that time for several projects.

As some mentioned, the can mix up any color and if you get a paint chip from any brand of paint anywhere in town, they can color match it.

If you stay with them long enough, all your paint colors and recipes are stored in their computer. I've gone back five years later to get another gallon of that paint I used for that particular wall and they can look it up and make up a fresh can.

A few friends and I have a woodworking club that meets once a month. Sherwin Williams let us sign up as a business account so we get an extra (I believe) 5% off everything all the time. Something to consider.

I really like their low VOC paint. I'm sure big box stores probably sell something similar these days but for me, this was a game changer the first time I used it. No more headaches or fan stuck in windows for a day afterwards to air out the room.

I have become a big fan of their wood stains as well.

Finally, an anecdotal story. My wife wanted an accent wall and I didn't have the paint and there wasn't a sale going on at Sherwin Williams at the time so after five years of buying only their paint, I went to the big box store and bought a gallon of their store brand paint. That stuff had the viscosity of water so it splattered everywhere and took four coats so that I couldn't see the color of the previous paint underneath. I then spent another extra day touching up the trim (with SW trim paint) to cover up all the splatters from the runny big box store paint. Never again will I repeat that mistake.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Had a problem with peeling exterior paint, actually solid stain (on cedar claps). Hired a professional painter who liked SW "Duration" at $70 gallon. He said he actually didn't like to use it because it lasted so long he never got called back to repaint down the road. He did adequate prep; scraping, sanding and an oil base primer where needed. Three years later and its peeling like a banana, right down to bare wood. So much for "Duration". Still trying to figure out the problem. Claps are about 35 years old.
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

I used their paints for my entire home and the second best is better than the other best. Great paint. Very happy with their products. Prep work is also critical to a great paint job. Bad prep can make any paint look bad.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
gasdoc

Post by gasdoc »

Interesting replies and thread. I have used the top line of paint from SW and from Home Depot (Behr). Have had great results from both. Any company can make great paint, but you have to pay for the best paint the company sells.

gasdoc
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

I'll only ever use Sherwin-Williams or Benjamin Moore paint again.

Sherwin-Williams Cashmere, Emerald, and Duration apply and dry so nicely. No drips, no runs, no brush marks along the edges where cutting in, etc. Makes application and cleanup faster than other cheap paint brands.

This is why almost all paint contractors use Sherwin-Williams and Benjamin Moore paint, because it saves them on labor, which is where the real $$$ is spent.

Sherwin-Williams can mix up any paint color, even colors from Benjamin-Moore. They have all the formulas in their computer, which knows how many drops of each color to put into the bucket to mix up.

Also, never buy Sherwin-Williams unless it is 30% or 40% off. Pretty much every month, they have a 30 or 40% off sale. You can also buy extra paint on sale untinted, and when you decide on a color, bring it in and have them tint it for free.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Glockenspiel wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:03 am I'll only ever use Sherwin-Williams or Benjamin Moore paint again....
We used to use BM, but we sweared off it when they started charging to borrow their wallpaper books. I'm not talking about deposits that are refunded when you bring the book back. I'm talking about 'renting' the books out without any refund when you return the book. I don't know if all BM stores do this, but it soured us on the whole company.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

I have painted many many walls in the homes I have owned. Straight color, stripes, patterns, ceilings, everything. If you are going to paint it yourself, get SW paint, they are hands down the best. If you can wait a few months, once or twice a year they have a 40% off sale. I haven't painted a wall in a few years now, but I remember that I liked the SW Harmony paint, I believe that was the one with no gassing and was good for my kids' rooms.
jh-1391

Post by jh-1391 »

I've only ever used their Duration paint, and I absolutely love it. My BIL used their Emerald, and it was a huge pain to apply. Talking with my local SW guy, he said you need a very specific roller for the Emerald otherwise it won't actually roll, will just push paint around.

I'm going there today to pick up some Super Paint. I've heard good things and plan on trying it out for what will be my niece's room at my house. I'm painting over some decent quality, light colored paint, so I'm hoping I can get it done in 1 coat with the paint + primer in one.

Second another poster - never buy SW paint full price. Wait for at least a 30% off sale to buy any paint or supplies.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

I'm sold on Sherwin Williams for the customer service alone. They'll actually try to match paint better than the initial results of the scanner. I doubt you'll get the big box stores to do that.
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

I've used paint from SW and PPG. Both are great products.
Housedoc

Post by Housedoc »

My son works for SW. 30 to 40 pct sales are the time to buy. Emerald paint is my favorite. Almost no smell.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

pshonore wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:49 am Had a problem with peeling exterior paint, actually solid stain (on cedar claps). Hired a professional painter who liked SW "Duration" at $70 gallon. He said he actually didn't like to use it because it lasted so long he never got called back to repaint down the road. He did adequate prep; scraping, sanding and an oil base primer where needed. Three years later and its peeling like a banana, right down to bare wood. So much for "Duration". Still trying to figure out the problem. Claps are about 35 years old.
I was a manager in paint manufacturing and technical for 40 years, so I can tell you what happened to cause the peeling. It wasn't the new paint because you said it peeled down to bare wood. It was the original paint (primer) that peeled not your new paint. You said the painter, sanded and scraped, but I can't believe that he completely removed ALL of the old paint...ALL. If he left any at all, just a smidgen, that old finish would continue to peel later. And it did, it appears. On any paint job, the first coat is what is the most important as that is what adheres to the surface. Your original paint or primer may not have been of the best quality. My house, for example, is 46 years old. It has been painted twice more since the original painting, not because of peeling, but for show.. It has no peeling because the original primer coat has remained adhered. I would always advise to buy and use the best primer you can buy. Don't skip that step, Go cheap and the finish will not last. Yours evidently was not.

Another subject: As far as products called "paint and primer all in the same can". They are not. It is just a paint with those added words to help sell. It is for that selling, not finish longevity. For any surface, first coat, you should insist on a good primer. It is made for the purpose of adhering to the surface, perhaps for a century even. Extra labor, of course, but that makes the paint last. For repainting a surface in good condition and properly cleaned those products could be used.
I know that these comments do not help you in your circumstance. All of your old finish needs to be removed to stop further peeling.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
HereIAm

Post by HereIAm »

I just used Sherwin Williams last week over a bright red walled room. One coat save for a couple small touch ups where I ran the roller dry by my own mistake. Good stuff.
Topic Author
atlanta_dad

Post by atlanta_dad »

Thanks so much for all the great information. We are still deciding on the colors that we want to go for. I will start another thread for color recommendations, thanks a lot!!
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Sheepdog wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:55 am
pshonore wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:49 am Had a problem with peeling exterior paint, actually solid stain (on cedar claps). Hired a professional painter who liked SW "Duration" at $70 gallon. He said he actually didn't like to use it because it lasted so long he never got called back to repaint down the road. He did adequate prep; scraping, sanding and an oil base primer where needed. Three years later and its peeling like a banana, right down to bare wood. So much for "Duration". Still trying to figure out the problem. Claps are about 35 years old.
I was a manager in paint manufacturing and technical for 40 years, so I can tell you what happened to cause the peeling. It wasn't the new paint because you said it peeled down to bare wood. It was the original paint (primer) that peeled not your new paint. You said the painter, sanded and scraped, but I can't believe that he completely removed ALL of the old paint...ALL. If he left any at all, just a smidgen, that old finish would continue to peel later. And it did, it appears. On any paint job, the first coat is what is the most important as that is what adheres to the surface. Your original paint or primer may not have been of the best quality. My house, for example, is 46 years old. It has been painted twice more since the original painting, not because of peeling, but for show.. It has no peeling because the original primer coat has remained adhered. I would always advise to buy and use the best primer you can buy. Don't skip that step, Go cheap and the finish will not last. Yours evidently was not.

Another subject: As far as products called "paint and primer all in the same can". They are not. It is just a paint with those added words to help sell. It is for that selling, not finish longevity. For any surface, first coat, you should insist on a good primer. It is made for the purpose of adhering to the surface, perhaps for a century even. Extra labor, of course, but that makes the paint last. For repainting a surface in good condition and properly cleaned those products could be used.
I know that these comments do not help you in your circumstance. All of your old finish needs to be removed to stop further peeling.
Thanks for the comments. The original coat was Olympic oil base semi-transparent stain. It was not common practice to use primer in the Northeast, particularly when using stain on cedar claps. Subsequent coats were PPG and Benjamin latex solid stain over the years. Found interesting articles about "mill glaze" at the Forest Products Lab website.
https://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/finl ... 13_007.pdf
https://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/finl ... 13_012.pdf

We have the smooth side exposed while the articles suggest putting the rough side out. Article also suggests water based primer is better than oil base. I just don't understand why it took 35 years to show up. I'm not positive the original oil stain is peeling. It is medium gray in color and we switched to yellow about 20 years ago. My approach lately has been to remove the claps and replace them with new claps (FJ) that come primed on both sides.
Yooper16

Post by Yooper16 »

Sheepdog--- great points. Preparation is the key. Sadly most people think that painting is just a quick job, no muss no fuss.

Paint will not stick well to dirty walls, even primer will have issues.

Some colors will NOT be 1 coat coverage. Reds pop to mind first.

The more colorant that is added the more likely adhesion or coverage will be affected. That's why tint bases often come in--pastel, deep tint, bright white etc. I will guarantee you that if you took your desired color and used the same formula using each base, each final color will be different.

The higher the sheen level, the better the cleaning but the more imperfections on the wall will be seen.

If you use a roller, use a 5 bar roller frame. Provides extra support for the roller to maintain a rounded shape. Use the right nap high quality roller.

I no longer have easy access to Ben Moore, but have found Pratt and Lambert to be a nice paint to use. Its a tad less expensive than BM and SW. Also made by SW.
jwkde

Post by jwkde »

I too am a big fan of SW paints especially their Super Paint.

Just be careful sometimes during their sales, they run out of a particular base so they might not be able to mix a particular color immediately.

Our last paint project, i went to pick up the paint the night before and my closest store was out of the required base. He called the next closest store and they were out also Fortunately a 3rd store had it and he gave them the details so it was already mixed by the time I got there. Fortunately there are several SW stores where i live.

Project turned out great!!!
sc9182

Post by sc9182 »

If you have paint contractors friend, you could borrow and use their phone (account) at SW store to buy yoir paint/supplies. You get 30-40% easy on any given day, then any additional sales/discount/some-coupons (all together about 50% off) possible.

Yes, SW is pretty good.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

I was getting paint at HD the other day and while waiting at the counter chatted to another customer about paint of course. He told me our landfill recycles old paint that is still good and has white, a grey/green and a brown exterior paint available to anyone that wants it. He used it to paint his rental which I thought was very bogleheadish!
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

indexonlyplease wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:08 am

Thanks in advance!!
2 years ago my painter use what is called SW super paint. What a great difference in paint. One coat is all you need. I was lucky and received his discount when I went to SW and purchased under his account.
That's their mid-grade stuff. 1 coat is possible with any decent paint going darker or same color. Going lighter it's at least 2 or primer + 1.
renue74

Post by renue74 »

I have several rental properties and rehab homes for "fun." We only use SW or BM paints. Superpaint on interiors and Duration exterior. We use BM ADVANCE for interior trim work.

One painting secrete nobody really says........buy an 18" roller and roller tray...with a huge extension pole to handle the 18" roller.

With that bad boy, you can honestly paint a 8' wall in about 2 minutes.
Limoncello402

Post by Limoncello402 »

I've done a lot of interior painting, and the SW Cashmere is by far my favorite!
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

Hi!

You can start a color thread, but my SW has a color expert that I used. She came to the house, looked at my art and furniture, then made recommendations! She had a great eye for color. I think in the end it cost me $20. Well worth it.
dowse

Post by dowse »

We have had two houses painted recently in two different states by two different painters, both interior and exterior. The painters definitely both recommended Sherwin Williams purchased at the SW store and NOT from Lowes (don't think Home Depot carries it). They claim that the formulations for Lowes are different and inferior. We have used SW from Lowes for a small interior project on our own, and it's been fine. Probably more important for exterior. It wasn't worth taking a risk to go against the painters recommendation. Project were done 2-3 years ago. So far, so good.
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

If you tell SW that you work for Southwest Airlines you will get a discount...just saying.
gasdoc

Post by gasdoc »

We just painted our pool deck. Used lots of Sherwin Williams Paint. I encouraged the wife to wait for a sale, and saved 40%, or $334, by waiting a week. Nice. Thanks, Bogleheads!

gasdoc
squirm

Post by squirm »

Painting is all about prep work. Don't blame the paint if you don't do the prep.
sco

Post by sco »

Sherwin Williams paint is good, every local contractor gets a healthy discount which will get it down to almost the same as Behr Paint at the Big box store.

Find someone with an account
gd

Post by gd »

Under some circumstances I've had good results from Behr interior paint, I believe because they formulate it for DIYers- easy to use, covers well. I wouldn't use it for outside. My local lumber yard with a knowledgeable paint guy sells Benjamin Moore, so that's what I use. I learn the price when I look at the credit card receipt at home. I don't ever rely on big-box expertise about anything-- listen to it sure, rely on it no.

I find the other materials (e.g. good quality brushes and rollers) as important. Carefully cleaned brushes can be used for years; rollers less so. Cheap throwaway applicators give those results.

The preparation is more important than either. I have an old house with countless sloppy DIY interior paint layers, and I've learned to sand the walls with an orbital sander before my first painting. After that level of effort, I don't care about pinching pennies.

Oversimplified, the harder the paint is to work with the nicer it'll look when well applied. The best results I've ever had was woodwork using traditional oil paint with foam rollers, gave a surface smooth as plastic. You won't get that with cheap latex and a disposable brush.
Admiral

Post by Admiral »

Benjamin Moore Aura is the best quality paint on the market IMHO, with a price to match. Regal Select, also by BM, is the next step down, still very good and $10 less per gallon. I prefer BM to SW but they are both good.

We are having some painting done this month and pros use only BM or SW, nothing else, FWIW.
mancich

Post by mancich »

We have Benjamin Moore solid stain on the outside of the house and it holds up great. On the inside, various room have either Benjamin Moore or Behr's best quality paint + primer in one. For the bathrooms, we use a dedicated kitchen and bathroom paint from Ben Moore. I think as long as you do a good job with prep (clean, fill and sand any holes, etc), you should be fine. I agree with other posters; if you are DIY, don't cheap out on the paint. Buy a high quality SW, Benjamin Moore, or Behr. The extra upfront cost is worth it.
UALflyer

Post by UALflyer »

Glockenspiel wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:03 amThis is why almost all paint contractors use Sherwin-Williams and Benjamin Moore paint, because it saves them on labor, which is where the real $$$ is spent.
Sherwin Williams' paint is fine, but this isn't the reason that all paint contractors use it. They get professional discounts at Sherwin Williams, plus various volume based rewards, and Sherwin Williams caters to paint contractors by making it easy to re-order paint, etc...

In other words, it isn't some superior paint quality that causes paint contractors to use Sherwin Williams, it's customer support and marketing. Paint contractors, for instance, routinely tell homeowners how much money they can save with this paint contractor because they get discounts at Sherwin Williams and can pass them on to the homeowner. These discounts, plus all the volume based rewards, also cause paint contractors to make more money this way.

It's the same reason that auto mechanics like ordering auto parts from their local suppliers (they get support this way, plus they get discounts and volume based rewards, which they do not fully pass through to their customers, if at all), as opposed to using customer supplied parts.
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

UALflyer wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:36 am
Glockenspiel wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:03 amThis is why almost all paint contractors use Sherwin-Williams and Benjamin Moore paint, because it saves them on labor, which is where the real $$$ is spent.
Sherwin Williams' paint is fine, but this isn't the reason that all paint contractors use it. They get professional discounts at Sherwin Williams, plus various volume based rewards, and Sherwin Williams caters to paint contractors by making it easy to re-order paint, etc...

In other words, it isn't some superior paint quality that causes paint contractors to use Sherwin Williams, it's customer support and marketing. Paint contractors, for instance, routinely tell homeowners how much money they can save with this paint contractor because they get discounts at Sherwin Williams and can pass them on to the homeowner. These discounts, plus all the volume based rewards, also cause paint contractors to make more money this way.

It's the same reason that auto mechanics like ordering auto parts from their local suppliers (they get support this way, plus they get discounts and volume based rewards, which they do not fully pass through to their customers, if at all), as opposed to using customer supplied parts.
I agree that it's not the sole reason painters use it, but I've got to believe that if it was laborious and difficult to apply, they wouldn't be using it. I do realize that painting contractors get some nice discounts on it.
UALflyer

Post by UALflyer »

Glockenspiel wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:28 amI agree that it's not the sole reason painters use it, but I've got to believe that if it was laborious and difficult to apply, they wouldn't be using it. I do realize that painting contractors get some nice discounts on it.
Right, Sherwin Williams' paint is fine, and it's not laborious and difficult to apply. My point is that painters use Sherwin Williams' paint because it is of decent quality and, because of Sherwin Williams catering to paint contractors, they generally make more money, get more business and get better service this way. So, although there's no reason to avoid Sherwin Williams' paint, I also wouldn't go out of my way to use it.

People buying Sherwin Williams' paint themselves because they think that it is of some much higher "professional" quality (which they conclude because most painters use it) simply aren't aware of the actual reasons behind most painters using it, which have nothing to do with some supreme paint quality.