Periodontist - Tissue Grafts

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
silverlitegs

Periodontist - Tissue Grafts

Post by silverlitegs » Thu May 31, 2018 8:50 pm

My main dentist on my visit six months ago advised me of receding gum. On my recent appointment, it was mentioned again. He doesn't do any corrective procedures in this field but has someone come into his office to do it. In the last few days I went for a second opinion of someone who has an office and does this all the time The second periodontist confirms that my gums are receding. Says in total I need to graft around seven teeth. Of those seven, two should be done right away. He recommends getting donor tissue and fixing the receding gums that way.

Anyone have experience with this? What is the best procedure? What should pricing be like in the northeast? Any other tips?

The Wizard

Re: Periodontist - Tissue Grafts

Post by The Wizard » Thu May 31, 2018 9:06 pm

Sorry, medical advice is off topic on this forum...
Attempted new signature...

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Thu May 31, 2018 9:18 pm

Did they tell you why this might be occurring? Is it due to something you're doing like brushing too hard? Is it just cosmetic?Anyways, the best thing is to get a couple opinions, quotes, and get it done if it will save your teeth. I would just go to someone that is reputable.

silverlitegs

Post by silverlitegs » Thu May 31, 2018 9:21 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 9:18 pm
Did they tell you why this might be occurring? Is it due to something you're doing like brushing too hard? Is it just cosmetic?Anyways, the best thing is to get a couple opinions, quotes, and get it done if it will save your teeth. I would just go to someone that is reputable.
Could be happening due to any number of factors : https://www.colgate.com/en-us/oral-heal ... auses-0214

My plan is to get a couple of quotes and use someone reputable

AlwaysWannaLearn

Post by AlwaysWannaLearn » Thu May 31, 2018 9:32 pm

silverlitegs wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 8:50 pm
He recommends getting donor tissue and fixing the receding gums that way.Anyone have experience with this? What is the best procedure? What should pricing be like in the northeast? Any other tips?
I have both personal experience from my own receding gum/grafting experience and professional experience having worked in the dental business. I'm most surprised by the recommendation for donor tissue, since typically the patient's own tissue (from the roof of the mouth) is used. I realize that perhaps you're in a unique situation, and I defer to the trained professionals.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu May 31, 2018 9:55 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (medical advice). See: Medical Issues
Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes a list of their top recommended sites.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.