Top Shelf Liquor Overrated?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jrbdmb

Re: Top Shelf Liquor Overrated?

Post by jrbdmb » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:05 pm

BigoteGato wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:49 pm
Laphroigh is very much an acquired taste. Hated my first sip but ended up living it. I prefer Lagavulin 16 over it by a bit but it’s a lot pricier. Ardbeg is very similar and tastes wonderful. Current favorite is Carol Illa. Also from Islay and great tasting (surprised only one person mentioned it).
Blends are nothing to sneeze at. Not a big fan of Johnny Walker Blue, but very much like the Green (vatted blend; Caol Illa is blended in it). Favorite would be Hibiki (though too pricey after Japanese whiskeys became popular).
I think my absolute favorite Scotch is Lagavulin 12 - a bit younger than the 16 and bottled at a higher strength. Amazing stuff, and *should be* about the same price as the 16, but Diageo has declared it a "limited release" and charges almost double for it (I have not seen it below $100 for a long time).

The Boglehead in me just says NO, so I console myself with the 16, Laphroiag (standard 10, Cask Strength, and Quarter Cask), and Ardbeg (Corryvrekan and Uigadail). I think Kilchoman Machir Bay is also quite good, a bit milder than the above but amazing for a five year old malt.

As for Johnny Walker, I tried the Green once a few years ago (before it was briefly discontinued) and was surprised how much I *disliked* it - bland and with a bitter aftertaste. I used to want to try Blue someday, but after wasting $50 or so on the Green I have no interest in potentially wasting $150 on the Blue. (Perhaps I just got a bad batch, as I see the Green is usually well regarded. I had the same experience with Abelour A'bunadh - read so many good reviews on it, but I could barely drink the bottle I purchased years ago.)

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:24 pm

I have tried Blue many times; as long as someone else was buying. I found it very good. $180 at Costco. I know someone that had all the colors including Platinum. I tried a little of each, the Blue blew them all away.

MJW

Post by MJW » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:01 pm

Blueskies123 wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:24 pm
I have tried Blue many times; as long as someone else was buying. I found it very good. $180 at Costco. I know someone that had all the colors including Platinum. I tried a little of each, the Blue blew them all away.
Hmm. I've been nursing a bottle of Blue that was given to me as a gift. It's alright but would never purchase it myself even at a lower price point.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:02 am

Blueskies123 wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:24 pm
My favorite JW is Spice Road, the least-expensive entry in their Explorer Series. It's only available Duty Free, and runs $45 for a liter. The top entry--The Royal Route--is slightly better, but it's 3x the price. My wife use to have to travel to Panama on occasion at her old job, and she would always bring me back two bottles.

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:20 am

I thought I would give Costco scotch a try based on recommendations I read on this thread. Oh, was I disappointed. I will keep it for mixing with coke but not for sipping. For $17 it was worth a shot. While there I saw they had Costco Irish whisky but for $33 I will wait until I can sample some before spending that much on an unknown product.

MI_bogle

Post by MI_bogle » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:19 am

jrbdmb wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:05 pm
BigoteGato wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:49 pm
Laphroigh is very much an acquired taste. Hated my first sip but ended up living it. I prefer Lagavulin 16 over it by a bit but it’s a lot pricier. Ardbeg is very similar and tastes wonderful. Current favorite is Carol Illa. Also from Islay and great tasting (surprised only one person mentioned it).
Blends are nothing to sneeze at. Not a big fan of Johnny Walker Blue, but very much like the Green (vatted blend; Caol Illa is blended in it). Favorite would be Hibiki (though too pricey after Japanese whiskeys became popular).
I think my absolute favorite Scotch is Lagavulin 12 - a bit younger than the 16 and bottled at a higher strength. Amazing stuff, and *should be* about the same price as the 16, but Diageo has declared it a "limited release" and charges almost double for it (I have not seen it below $100 for a long time).

The Boglehead in me just says NO, so I console myself with the 16, Laphroiag (standard 10, Cask Strength, and Quarter Cask), and Ardbeg (Corryvrekan and Uigadail). I think Kilchoman Machir Bay is also quite good, a bit milder than the above but amazing for a five year old malt.

As for Johnny Walker, I tried the Green once a few years ago (before it was briefly discontinued) and was surprised how much I *disliked* it - bland and with a bitter aftertaste. I used to want to try Blue someday, but after wasting $50 or so on the Green I have no interest in potentially wasting $150 on the Blue. (Perhaps I just got a bad batch, as I see the Green is usually well regarded. I had the same experience with Abelour A'bunadh - read so many good reviews on it, but I could barely drink the bottle I purchased years ago.)
We have similar taste in scotch... I had the Blue the other day at a wedding after-party. I was wholly unimpressed. It was "smooth" but that's about it. Crazy to pay as much for it as people do IMO. Lot better scotch at much lower prices.

BigoteGato

Post by BigoteGato » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:59 am

Not sure if you have similar taste to jrdmb or myself, but in either case I would suggest that you would probably enjoy Ardbeg Corryvreckan (or just regular Ardbeg) if you like Lagavulin and Laphroigh. And when you want to try non-Scottish whiskies, try some Japanese ones (Hibiki 12) or Taiwanese (Kavalan); the former is a blend, the second a single malt, a little pricey and non-peaty but very nice. If you prefer to have some non-peaty scotches once in a while, I would suggest Oban (14). I particularly enjoy a tasting where I go from a small amount of a non-peaty one like HIghland Park, move on to somewhat peatier stuff like Talisker and end with Lagavulin or Caol Illa. It's also fun to compare different barrel finishes of the same scotch (e.g., Glenmorangie Lasanta vs Nectar D'Or).

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:28 pm

I don't think it's overrated. I really don't drink that much these days, but when I do drink vodka, Tito's is what I prefer. I am not a scotch drinker because I can't even get the stuff down, but my brother-in-law gave me a glass of Johnny Walker Blue and it was smooth and I was able to drink it. So yes, as far as the scotch went there was definitely a difference, but still not a scotch drinker.

My favorite drink is wine and I find a $20 bottle is better than a $5 bottle, but a $75 dollar bottle does not always beat the $20 bottle.

My two favorites are Robert Mondavi about $20 a bottle and Ruffino Chanti Reserva for about $32.

As far as beer goes, I only drink Bud Light. All these new craft beers are just too bitter and heavy for me.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:42 pm

stemikger wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:28 pm
...As far as beer goes, I only drink Bud Light. All these new craft beers are just too bitter and heavy for me.
*sigh*
(from a committed IPA consumer...)
Attempted new signature...

Billius

Post by Billius » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:24 pm

Frank Grimes wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:40 pm
Bookers is barrel proof so instead of the 80 proof stuff to which you were likely accustomed, it was more like 135 proof. Way higher alcohol level as it is uncut with water.

However, higher proof = higher flavor concentration. So once you get used to the alcohol part it can be really enjoyable.
There's also a lot of variance between batches. I've tried maybe six or seven of them. Some are good, but not great, and others are amazing.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:43 pm

The Wizard wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:42 pm
stemikger wrote:
...As far as beer goes, I only drink Bud Light. All these new craft beers are just too bitter and heavy for me.
*sigh*
+1

(from a committed anti-IPA consumer...)
:beer

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:16 pm

The Wizard wrote:
stemikger wrote:
*sigh*
But you'll ruin your palate!

This from my local wine dealer (who also sells craft beer). And she was right. My husband kept going for hoppier and hoppier beers and kept complaining about how "sweet" our wonderful library wines were. He started having some gastro issues and backed off the hoppy beers for a couple of months and drank other kinds of craft beers. Then he introduced them back but is not drinking the super heavy ones any longer. He can taste wine again. :wink:

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:24 am

Very simple. Taste it and decide for yourself.

I like certain tequilas and am happy with them. My wife likes wine but I do not because I cannot get past the ceremony and ritual of discussing "multiple layers of flavor" and "letting it open up" and swirling it around and sounding like you know what you're talking about how others are just not "cultured" to appreciate if they don't agree. Give me a break.
Last edited by toofache32 on Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:27 am

The Wizard wrote:
stemikger wrote:
*sigh*
LOL. I know, people love them, but Bud Light is still the best for me. lol.

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:29 am

Carefreeap wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:16 pm
The Wizard wrote:
stemikger wrote:
*sigh*

This from my local wine dealer (who also sells craft beer). And she was right. My husband kept going for hoppier and hoppier beers and kept complaining about how "sweet" our wonderful library wines were. He started having some gastro issues and backed off the hoppy beers for a couple of months and drank other kinds of craft beers. Then he introduced them back but is not drinking the super heavy ones any longer. He can taste wine again. :wink:
That hasn't happened yet. I still enjoy certain wines and can definitely tell you the ones I don't like, so drinking Bud Light which I really love the taste has not prevented me from enjoying my favorite wines.

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:09 am

stemikger wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:29 am
Carefreeap wrote:
The Wizard wrote:
stemikger wrote:
*sigh*

That hasn't happened yet. I still enjoy certain wines and can definitely tell you the ones I don't like, so drinking Bud Light which I really love the taste has not prevented me from enjoying my favorite wines.
I was referring to the Wizard's comment. IPA drinkers can ruin their palate (at least temporarily) because of the overwhelmingly bitterness of hoppy beer.

MJW

Post by MJW » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:40 pm

stemikger wrote:
so drinking Bud Light which I really love the taste
When I read this I am torn between feeling compelled to try to convince you otherwise, or simply reciting the Serenity Prayer as many times as it takes for me to let it go.

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:44 pm

Carefreeap wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:09 am
stemikger wrote:
Carefreeap wrote:
The Wizard wrote:
stemikger wrote:
*sigh*

I was referring to the Wizard's comment. IPA drinkers can ruin their palate (at least temporarily) because of the overwhelmingly bitterness of hoppy beer.
Whew!!

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:45 pm

MJW wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:40 pm
stemikger wrote:
When I read this I am torn between feeling compelled to try to convince you otherwise, or simply reciting the Serenity Prayer as many times as it takes for me to let it go.
LOL. Bud Light Forever!!

TinkerPDX

Post by TinkerPDX » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:29 pm

IMHO, worth it to an extent (and depends on your disposable income/opportunity cost) for whiskey, scotch up to say $100-$150, bourbon up to $50-$75. Tequila too maybe but couldn't tell you the range. Vodka, rum, gin, not so much, at least in my experience. You'll be fine spending $20-$30, and if you're mixing it, less.

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:43 pm

Someone gave me a bottle of something supposedly fancy yet was a horrible liquid called Lophraig. I think it was whiskey. Tasted like cough syrup. Exactly like cough syrup. A friend noticed it on my shelf and commented it was good stuff. I told him he would be doing me a favor to take it home with him.

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:46 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 3:05 pm
I’ve been comparing:
Gordon’s Gin to Blue Sapphire
Evan Williams Bourbon to Maker’s Mark
Smirnoff Vodka to Grey Goose
Kirkland Canadian Whiskey to Crowne Royale
Kirkland Cognac to Remy Martin
In most of these examples a half gallon is the same price as a fifth of the more expensive liquor. They are significantly cheaper and I can’t justify paying more for the alleged higher quality after taste tests. Anyone else experience similar good values?
Taste: very few people can tell.

However, hangover is an entirely different thing.

I would rather have:
- 1 drink of the top shelf,
VS
- 5 drinks of the other.
"You can get more with a kind word and a gun than with just a kind word." George Washington

ImaBeginner

Post by ImaBeginner » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:58 am

MJW wrote:
stemikger wrote:
This is a perfect time to remember hedonistic adaptation, and let him/her be happy on their part of the curve. But yuck.

jrbdmb

Post by jrbdmb » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:08 pm

stemikger wrote:
I don't think it's overrated. I really don't drink that much these days, but when I do drink vodka, Tito's is what I prefer. I am not a scotch drinker because I can't even get the stuff down, but my brother-in-law gave me a glass of Johnny Walker Blue and it was smooth and I was able to drink it. So yes, as far as the scotch went there was definitely a difference, but still not a scotch drinker.

My favorite drink is wine and I find a $20 bottle is better than a $5 bottle, but a $75 dollar bottle does not always beat the $20 bottle.

My two favorites are Robert Mondavi about $20 a bottle and Ruffino Chanti Reserva for about $32.

As far as beer goes, I only drink Bud Light. All these new craft beers are just too bitter and heavy for me.
1. The one spirit where "top shelf" doesn't make as much sense to me is vodka. By definition vodka is supposed to be a neutral spirit, so shouldn't any well-made multi-filtered vodka (Tito's, Ketel One, Skyy) be just about the same?

2. There are a number of craft beers that are not as hoppy and heavy that you might like to try. Just avoid the stouts and porters (usually heavy) and IPAs (always bitter).

jrbdmb

Post by jrbdmb » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:18 pm

toofache32 wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:43 pm
Someone gave me a bottle of something supposedly fancy yet was a horrible liquid called Lophraig. I think it was whiskey. Tasted like cough syrup. Exactly like cough syrup. A friend noticed it on my shelf and commented it was good stuff. I told him he would be doing me a favor to take it home with him.
Hmm. I'm sure Laphroaig has been called many things, but I'm surprised that cough syrup would be one of them. A more typical comment for Laphroaig is that it's like drinking a glass full of Band-Aids. :x Who knows why the heck I like it so much ...

A heavily sherried Scotch like Macallan can seem like a cough syrup to me.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:20 pm

MJW wrote:
stemikger wrote:
I like pretty much all beers including bud light. Just like you wouldn't mix macallan 18 and coke, you don't need to always be drinking some craft beer with 100+IBU that gets great ratings on untapped. If AB Inbev bought the recipe for Pliny the Elder and made 10 million barrels a year of it exactly as its made today, tons of people would complain about it. Likewise I bet you could fill up a well known craft brewery growler with bud light, call it a summer lager with a fancy name and everyone would go crazy for it.
Last edited by barnaclebob on Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:27 pm

Blueskies123 wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:07 am
The Wizard wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:09 am
JPH wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:27 am

If the placebo effect is real and adds to your enjoyment, then why not pay for it?
A most excellent observation, this...
These maybe the most anti-Boglehead comments ever written.
What blows my mind about the placebo effect is that it ameliorates some symptoms such as pain even when it is known to be a placebo.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/pla ... 1607079926

With top shelf liquor it might be related to the Veblen effect.

jhh9327

Post by jhh9327 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:35 pm

AlphaLess wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:46 pm
Alexa9 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 3:05 pm
I’ve been comparing:
Gordon’s Gin to Blue Sapphire
Evan Williams Bourbon to Maker’s Mark
Smirnoff Vodka to Grey Goose
Kirkland Canadian Whiskey to Crowne Royale
Kirkland Cognac to Remy Martin
In most of these examples a half gallon is the same price as a fifth of the more expensive liquor. They are significantly cheaper and I can’t justify paying more for the alleged higher quality after taste tests. Anyone else experience similar good values?
Taste: very few people can tell.

However, hangover is an entirely different thing.

I would rather have:
- 1 drink of the top shelf,
VS
- 5 drinks of the other.
I'll state it the opposite way though I think our point is similar. I'm about 10x more likely to feel hungover the next day drinking the really cheap stuff than if I had 2x or 3x of that amount of top shelf (with my top shelf being the minimal level type brands that have been discussed previously, ie JW Black or Grey Goose levels). I'm willing to pay the premium at this point in life.

sunshine18

Post by sunshine18 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:30 pm

I work in the service industry and it seems to me that it's more about the placebo then the actual quality. At least that's what I've heard from the various bartenders I've worked with.

Alf 101

Post by Alf 101 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:17 pm

As to the last point, I do find it interesting what I've noticed dining out, after studying up a little about the subject, thinking about hosting and entertaining. Namely it's the frequency I see overpriced cocktails on menus, naming the liquors featured -- New Amsterdam Gin, Bacardi Superior, or Sauza Blue Tequila. Not to be snooty, but that's the cheap stuff.

I suppose it is well known that a restaurant's greatest profit margin is on drinks. But charging $10-18 per for drinks with the spirits listed above, hmm...

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:21 pm

Alf 101 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:17 pm
As to the last point, I do find it interesting what I've noticed dining out, after studying up a little about the subject, thinking about hosting and entertaining. Namely it's the frequency I see overpriced cocktails on menus, naming the liquors featured -- New Amsterdam Gin, Bacardi Superior, or Sauza Blue Tequila. Not to be snooty, but that's the cheap stuff.

I suppose it is well known that a restaurant's greatest profit margin is on drinks. But charging $10-18 per for drinks with the spirits listed above, hmm...
Yes and no...I mean, at some level of quality, shouldn't high end liquor be consumed straight? I wouldn't want a mixed drink with my favorite bourbons...save the mid-tier stuff for your old fashioned.

NewPhoneWhoDis

Post by NewPhoneWhoDis » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:43 am

barnaclebob wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:20 pm
MJW wrote:
stemikger wrote:
If AB Inbev bought the recipe for Pliny the Elder and made 10 million barrels a year of it exactly as its made today, tons of people would complain about it. Likewise I bet you could fill up a well known craft brewery growler with bud light, call it a summer lager with a fancy name and everyone would go crazy for it.
This would be an interesting experiment. I think your premise #1 might be confirmed as true, but I'm almost positive no one would enjoy a repackaged bud light (without knowing it's just bud light) if they don't already like the taste. There are a billion craft beers. Some of them are delicious and some of them taste like garbage. The packaging and name have nothing to do with enjoying the tasty ones.

MJW

Post by MJW » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:55 am

barnaclebob wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:20 pm
Likewise I bet you could fill up a well known craft brewery growler with bud light, call it a summer lager with a fancy name and everyone would go crazy for it.
I saw a video once in which a restaurant of some sort did an experiment where they asked their snooty patrons if they wouldn't mind sampling some of their new, fancy bottled water. The water bottles were filled using a garden hose out back and then the patrons were told that the water came from a remote spring in the Alps or some nonsense like that. The patrons were shown responding favorably to the tasting and even discussing how they could detect the subtle nuances of mineral, etc.

With that said, I think I could tell Bud Light apart from a better quality beer of a similar style and ABV. However, I am not as confident that I could distinguish between Bud Light and horse urine, so I will admit there are limits to my discerning palate.

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:27 am

In college we had a party where we cooked chili. We set out 2 pots of chili cooked in the same vat, and some wiseguy marked one as "hot" and the other as "regular". There was discussion among multiple people about which was better.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:11 pm

toofache32 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:27 am
In college we had a party where we cooked chili. We set out 2 pots of chili cooked in the same vat, and some wiseguy marked one as "hot" and the other as "regular". There was discussion among multiple people about which was better.
My town has a pair of giant above ground municipal water supply tanks (think water tower, without the "tower" part) sitting next to each other. One is marked "HOT" in huge letters, the other "COLD". I still chuckle almost every time I drive by them. :mrgreen:

NOLA

Post by NOLA » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:12 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:39 pm
I think the other posters have hit on the key points.

Vodka, which I drink more than any other liquor, is pretty standard. Though I would disagree with those that say the cheapest is the same as anything better. I buy the Costco brands (they have 2) and they are perfectly adequate. Just don't but the wino jug at the drugstore.

When you get into most other liquors, especially ones that are not mixed, the variations grow. I think Scotch in particular has huge variations.

Wine there are definitely variations depending on price. After being a $5-$6-$7 kind of guy, after having better wines, you do get used to them and shun the cheaper ones. That doesn't mean you need to go crazy. I've found the Costco Kirkland wines to be good values. I've also found a local liquor store that buys closeouts and the wines on closeout and they tend to be around 40% less than elsewhere. I Google what they have to see if the discount is real vs. them just playing games.

People that order things like a Belvedere and cranberry are just caught up on brand names and marketing.

We do make some drinks with triple sec though and I do notice a difference between the cheap stuff and better stuff even if it is only 10-15% of the drink.
You might have it already, however Vivino is an excellent wine app. Great to compare wines & prices etc.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:42 pm

NOLA wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:12 pm
michaeljc70 wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:39 pm
I think the other posters have hit on the key points.

Vodka, which I drink more than any other liquor, is pretty standard. Though I would disagree with those that say the cheapest is the same as anything better. I buy the Costco brands (they have 2) and they are perfectly adequate. Just don't but the wino jug at the drugstore.

When you get into most other liquors, especially ones that are not mixed, the variations grow. I think Scotch in particular has huge variations.

Wine there are definitely variations depending on price. After being a $5-$6-$7 kind of guy, after having better wines, you do get used to them and shun the cheaper ones. That doesn't mean you need to go crazy. I've found the Costco Kirkland wines to be good values. I've also found a local liquor store that buys closeouts and the wines on closeout and they tend to be around 40% less than elsewhere. I Google what they have to see if the discount is real vs. them just playing games.

People that order things like a Belvedere and cranberry are just caught up on brand names and marketing.

We do make some drinks with triple sec though and I do notice a difference between the cheap stuff and better stuff even if it is only 10-15% of the drink.
You might have it already, however Vivino is an excellent wine app. Great to compare wines & prices etc.
Thanks. Checking that out.

bearcub

Post by bearcub » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:50 am

No love for Colt 45 Malt Liquor? It works everytime, + $ 2.25 for a forty. Can"t beat that with a stick.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:06 am

MJW wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:55 am
I saw a video once in which a restaurant of some sort did an experiment where they asked their snooty patrons if they wouldn't mind sampling some of their new, fancy bottled water. The water bottles were filled using a garden hose out back and then the patrons were told that the water came from a remote spring in the Alps or some nonsense like that. The patrons were shown responding favorably to the tasting and even discussing how they could detect the subtle nuances of mineral, etc.
I've seen bottles of still water with the seal on the cap broken brought to the table and served in restaurants. Obviously they were refilling them from the tap. So that is an "experiment" that takes place thousands of times a day. Keep an eye out for it.

Not to change the subject from liquor to wine, but there was an interesting but not surprising article about how millions of mislabelled or deceptively labelled bottles of wine have been sold.

How could 10 million bottles of cheap Spanish rosé be passed off as French? Blame America.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... story.html
A defense given in court: American consumers didn’t complain.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:42 am

Pajamas wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:06 am
MJW wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:55 am
I've seen bottles of still water with the seal on the cap broken brought to the table and served in restaurants. Obviously they were refilling them from the tap. So that is an "experiment" that takes place thousands of times a day. Keep an eye out for it.

Not to change the subject from liquor to wine, but there was an interesting but not surprising article about how millions of mislabelled or deceptively labelled bottles of wine have been sold.

How could 10 million bottles of cheap Spanish rosé be passed off as French? Blame America.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... story.html
A defense given in court: American consumers didn’t complain.
Relatives of my family worked at what would be considered a large high end bar/club/lounge in a major city and they said the establishment refilled the bottles in the basement with inferior liquor. This was mostly for vodka.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:50 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:42 am
Relatives of my family worked at what would be considered a large high end bar/club/lounge in a major city and they said the establishment refilled the bottles in the basement with inferior liquor. This was mostly for vodka.
I used to do the same thing:

viewtopic.php?t=245073#p3847299

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:08 am

Pajamas wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:50 am
michaeljc70 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:42 am
I used to do the same thing:

viewtopic.php?t=245073#p3847299
Me too, but no one was paying me $17 a drink for the liquor. It was just for guests at home. :beer