Top Shelf Liquor Overrated?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Alexa9

Top Shelf Liquor Overrated?

Post by Alexa9 » Thu May 31, 2018 3:05 pm

I’ve been comparing:
Gordon’s Gin to Blue Sapphire
Evan Williams Bourbon to Maker’s Mark
Smirnoff Vodka to Grey Goose
Kirkland Canadian Whiskey to Crowne Royale
Kirkland Cognac to Remy Martin
In most of these examples a half gallon is the same price as a fifth of the more expensive liquor. They are significantly cheaper and I can’t justify paying more for the alleged higher quality after taste tests. Anyone else experience similar good values?
Last edited by Alexa9 on Thu May 31, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darth Xanadu

Re: Top Shelf Liquor Overrated?

Post by Darth Xanadu » Thu May 31, 2018 3:07 pm

Svedka Vodka is a good value.
"A courageous teacher, failure is."

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu May 31, 2018 3:12 pm

In the days when I did consume alcohol, I could never tell the difference.

Have someone do a "blind" test.

topper1296

$5

Post by topper1296 » Thu May 31, 2018 3:14 pm

I once took a bourbon tasting class and my one take away from the instructor was to never pay more than ~$50 for a bottle of bourbon. Up to $50 can be justified in taste and quality, however anything above that is paying for marketing.

alex_686

Post by alex_686 » Thu May 31, 2018 3:15 pm

Planet Money does Vodka

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2018 ... odka-proof

Top self vodka does not come off too good.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Thu May 31, 2018 3:25 pm

With gin, there's definitely a fine difference in aromatics and "flavor".
Gilbeys is my standard lower-priced brand for gimlets and martinis. I don't like Gordon's as much anymore and can't stand Seagram's.
But I sometimes keep a higher end bottle around as well, in the freezer often: Tanqueray, the Bombay's, etc. Their proof is higher, 94 vs 80, but I think there's a bit of enhanced nose to them, taken plain on the rocks.
If you're mixing a higher end gin with tonic water and lime, you'll have a fine G&T, but may be losing the fine distinction...
Attempted new signature...

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Thu May 31, 2018 3:29 pm

Interesting. I see it's more of a placebo effect when you are drinking top shelf liquor. Certainly there are some cases where the more expensive bottle might be better but is it worth the price they are asking?

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Thu May 31, 2018 3:33 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 3:29 pm
Interesting. I see it's more of a placebo effect when you are drinking top shelf liquor. Certainly there are some cases where the more expensive bottle might be better but is it worth the price they are asking?
The answer probably depends a bit on how much excess discretionary income one has along with whether one can truly discern an improved flavor...

jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 » Thu May 31, 2018 3:39 pm

Went on a tour of Maker's Mark a few years ago and both the wife and I liked the 12 year bourbon over the 20 year bourbon. So there's that. LOL

:sharebeer

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Thu May 31, 2018 3:41 pm

There is most certainly a difference. Maybe in cocktails one can't tell, but I like my whiskey and scotch neat and the good stuff tastes much much better.

Straight shots of grey goose are much smoother than smirnoff. In a cocktail, probably can't tell the difference.

So it depends on how you consume.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Thu May 31, 2018 3:41 pm

There is a definite improvement in cognac from the cheap stuff to Remy VSOP to Remy XO.

With Scotch, its mostly about marketing for anything above $100 to $150. Above that range and you are probably paying for marketing or just very old scotch.

No need to spend over $60 for a fifth of most bourbons that are for drinking neat or on the rocks.

Not a liquor but Port absolutely gets better for the older stuff. Have a "100 year port flight" 10, 20, 30, and 40 year ports and the 40 is noticeably better than 30 and so on. I ordered just a glass of 40 year once and the waiter also brought me some 10 year just to compare. Yep, the 40 was still much better.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Thu May 31, 2018 3:44 pm

Some wouldn't consider anything on your list top shelf (some choices are more like a bottom shelf comparison to a mid-shelf). But, why spend more than you need to, if you like it, then drink it - no sense to spend extra money. There was a time I started spending more and more on bottles of wine. Then I decided that even though I could often tell the difference between a good $40-$60 bottle of wine and a less expensive $12 bottle of wine - the decently rated $12 bottles of wine were fine with me so they are typically what I buy now. (I do have some better bottles I save for company/special occasions). [I do realize wine is a bit different, priced based upon what people are willing to pay versus on true quality, but there are certainly bands of quality by price]

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Thu May 31, 2018 3:46 pm

dm200 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 3:12 pm

This is the key answer - if you cannot tell the difference in a blind test there is no reason to pay for it.
If you can tell the diffrence you can make the judgement whether it is worth the extra costs.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Thu May 31, 2018 3:46 pm

If you're going to compare gins of different prices, you need to compare two gins of the same style. Gordon's is a London dry gin, whereas Bombay Sapphire is a hybrid between the London dry style and a more floral style.

If you're going to compare bourbons of different prices, you need to compare two bourbons of the same mash bill. Evan Williams is corn/rye/barley, whereas Maker's Mark is corn/wheat/barley.

Also, Crown Royal is a Canadian whisky with rye as the predominant grain, whereas Irish whisky is made from barley.

When making comparisons based on price, it is best to hold other variables constant. Having said that, my home bar has mostly bottles that sell for $20 or less, so I agree with the basic premise that price and quality don't always correlate.
Last edited by UpperNwGuy on Thu May 31, 2018 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Thu May 31, 2018 3:46 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 3:41 pm
Not a liquor but Port absolutely gets better for the older stuff. Have a "100 year port flight" 10, 20, 30, and 40 year ports and the 40 is noticeably better than 30 and so on. I ordered just a glass of 40 year once and the waiter also brought me some 10 year just to compare. Yep, the 40 was still much better.
I used to be perfectly happy drinking 10-Year port and then someone bought me a bottle of 40-year port for a gift. It's like flying first class and then going back to coach - its hard to go back - I wish I was never given that 40-year bottle :)

audioaxes

Post by audioaxes » Thu May 31, 2018 3:54 pm

Im no drinking connoisseur by any means I can easily taste a difference with Evan Williams even when mixed with a 1:6 ratio of Cola compared with Jack, Crown Royal, etc

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Thu May 31, 2018 4:00 pm

And in case some folks think it's all an illusionary placebo effect in which you presume the 2x$ bottle should taste better, so therefore it does, allow me to disagree.

Go in the opposite direction and buy the cheapest bottles of generic gin or rum you can find and you may likely find they are UNDENIABLY worse in some ways than a decent midpriced brand.
I can easily tell this, any day of the week, double blindfolded.

As others mentioned, higher end brands may have subtle differences that some folks may not even detect or may even not prefer...

BVRFC

Post by BVRFC » Thu May 31, 2018 4:01 pm

Liquor is overrated.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Thu May 31, 2018 4:02 pm

audioaxes wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 3:54 pm
Im no drinking connoisseur by any means I can easily taste a difference with Evan Williams even when mixed with a 1:6 ratio of Cola compared with Jack, Crown Royal, etc
Mixing Crown Royal with a cola??
Hmmmm...
:annoyed

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Thu May 31, 2018 4:03 pm

BVRFC wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 4:01 pm
Liquor is overrated.
Conversely,
Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker...

kenoryan

Post by kenoryan » Thu May 31, 2018 4:08 pm

I have Glengoyne 18 and 21
Macallan 12 and 18
Glendronach 12 and 18
Glenfidich 12 and 15
Balvenie 12 and 18

I can tell the difference but the older ones are not necessarily *better* tasting. They're just different and maybe a little smoother.

audioaxes

Post by audioaxes » Thu May 31, 2018 4:18 pm

The Wizard wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 4:02 pm
audioaxes wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 3:54 pm
Mixing Crown Royal with a cola??
Hmmmm...
:annoyed
why not? its just a blended Whiskey that can be had for under $20
I actually get the Costco brand for this and cant taste a difference

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Thu May 31, 2018 4:18 pm

I think with most alcoholic beverages, there are a few broad tiers. I will use wines, because bottle sizing is pretty standard and most stores carry a wide range rather than just a few examples:

The cheapest of the cheap is absolutely disgusting. This is the $3 bottle of fortified wine. A few can stomach these happily, but not I.
Then, there's the stuff that's basically serviceable but unremarkable. These are the macro-branded wines usually priced in the $7-12 range.
Then, there's quality wines that have their own unique character and can be anywhere from bad to fantastic. These are usually in the $10-30 range.
Then, there's premium priced wines that may be amazingly good or may simply be high priced due to branding. These are usually in the $50-500 range.
Then, there's stratospheric stuff aimed at wealthy enthusiasts or collectors. Sky is the limit on these.

In my experience, the $10-30 wines are the sweet spot. Some of the best wines I've had are in this range. I've also had the second to highest tier. Sometimes, they are quite remarkable but I suspect many (if not most) would have a tough time distinguishing which is the higher-priced wine in a blind taste test if compared with a good $10-30 bottle. I've not had the stratospheric stuff, but a sommelier friend of mine indicates that they are usually not necessarily more enjoyable or "better" than less pricey wines, but may have very unique flavors (not necessarily better flavors) due to being unusually old.

There tend to be fewer distilleries than wineries or breweries out there, so I think marketing often plays a bigger role with respect to spirits. Shortages can also have a big influence. For example, Japanese scotch has gotten very expensive recently due to its popularity. Since Scotch ages for several years at a minimum, the producers cant quickly react to sudden demand. I will say the best scotch that I have ever had was a 27-year Caol Ila priced in the $250 range (was a wedding gift). However, I've tasted other single malt scotches in that price range that were no better than the standard 12-year scotches you will find anywhere.
Last edited by alfaspider on Thu May 31, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Frank Grimes

Post by Frank Grimes » Thu May 31, 2018 4:21 pm

topper1296 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 3:14 pm
I once took a bourbon tasting class and my one take away from the instructor was to never pay more than ~$50 for a bottle of bourbon. Up to $50 can be justified in taste and quality, however anything above that is paying for marketing.
That's a bit low. A bottle of barrel proof Four Roses, for example, will run $50-60 and can be phenomenal. I'd up your $ threshold a little bit but the principle is solid. There's a world of great bourbon at $35 and below and that's basically all I buy.

Smorgasbord

Re: $5

Post by Smorgasbord » Thu May 31, 2018 4:28 pm

topper1296 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 3:14 pm
I'd add that if you're mixing the bourbon with anything other than a tiny bit of water/ice drop the threshold down to $25. :D

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Thu May 31, 2018 5:27 pm

It depends on what two brands you are talking about, but there definitely can be, and usually are differences.

The difference does not always justify the price, but there is almost always a difference.

Not everyone can tell a difference.

I'd would also dispute that your whiskeys listed are "top shelf!"

JT

gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh » Thu May 31, 2018 5:35 pm

At the end it absolutely doesn't matter...I can certainly tell the difference between VS, VSOP and XO cognac, and I will pay for the VSOP. If feel like splurging XO at times...If you can't tell the difference , then don't.

I can't tell the difference between single malt cheap 12 yo Glenlivet and the more expensive scotch, so I buy the cheap stuff...

Who cares what's supposed to be the best...I live for me. I trust my taste buds, not that of a connoisseur.

MJW

Post by MJW » Thu May 31, 2018 5:46 pm

If it's all the same to you then buy whatever is cheap.

If you happen to like something less expensive compared to something more expensive, then great - no dilemma.

If you like something more expensive, that is when you consider whether the cost is justified. Otherwise why bother?

Also, as others have pointed out I wouldn't consider any of the drinks you listed for comparison to be "top shelf."

In my own experience I've found a greater dispersion of price vs. taste to be found in wine. As another poster mentioned, plenty of good wine to suit one's tastes can be found in the $10-30 range.

3funder

Post by 3funder » Thu May 31, 2018 5:51 pm

Water is free, and it hydrates you. Liquor costs money, and it is only useful in a social sense (sometimes not even). Sorry for raining on everyone's parade.

MJW

Post by MJW » Thu May 31, 2018 5:52 pm

3funder wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 5:51 pm
Water is free, and it hydrates you. Liquor costs money, and it is only useful in a social sense (sometimes not even). Sorry for raining on everyone's parade.
I had not considered these points. Thank you for being so generous with your insight.

3funder

Post by 3funder » Thu May 31, 2018 5:55 pm

MJW wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 5:52 pm
3funder wrote:
I had not considered these points. Thank you for being so generous with your insight.
Generous? I probably ruined the spirit of the discussion. :oops:

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Thu May 31, 2018 6:43 pm

3funder wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 5:55 pm
MJW wrote:
3funder wrote:
You mean the "SPIRITS" of the discussion! :D

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Thu May 31, 2018 8:12 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 3:05 pm
I’ve been comparing:
In most of these examples a half gallon is the same price as a fifth of the more expensive liquor. They are significantly cheaper and I can’t justify paying more for the alleged higher quality after taste tests. Anyone else experience similar good values?
No. And if you were right, the market would correct for it. Sorry to rain on your money saving parade. Also Kirkland stuff is brand label stuff disguised.

*apparently I stole MJWs line.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Thu May 31, 2018 8:19 pm

It depends on what type of liquor and what you're using it for.

I have confessed here before that I used to routinely refill an Absolut bottle with whatever was the cheapest vodka on the shelf:

viewtopic.php?t=245073#p3847299

Of course I wouldn't have done that with whiskey because there would be a noticeable difference.

One Ping

Post by One Ping » Thu May 31, 2018 8:41 pm

kenoryan wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 4:08 pm
I have Glengoyne 18 and 21
Macallan 12 and 18
Glendronach 12 and 18
Glenfidich 12 and 15
Balvenie 12 and 18

I can tell the difference but the older ones are not necessarily *better* tasting. They're just different and maybe a little smoother.
I can tell the difference too, and agree ... age is not necessarily better.

Talisker 10
Lagavulin 16
Macallan 18
Aberlour A'Bunadh

All good as far as I'm concerned.

One Ping
"Re-verify our range to target ... one ping only."

MJS

Post by MJS » Thu May 31, 2018 9:41 pm

I notice the difference in liqueurs, even when adding 1/2 oz to cocktails.
Luxardo maraschino, Cointreau, Kahlua
... all much better than any house brand.

El Greco

Post by El Greco » Thu May 31, 2018 10:27 pm

I have two. I occasionally enjoy a vodka martini and never found anything better than Skyy, and that includes Grey Goose. I also buy Gran Gala (an Italian knockoff) for 1/2 the price of Grand Marnier and I actually like it better.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu May 31, 2018 11:00 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 3:29 pm
If you haven't already, read Stop Acting Rich by Stanley. I'd say half the book talks about overpriced liquors, especially vodka and scotch. It got so annoying, I started skipping pages to avoid reading what seems ad infinitum :oops: exactly what you are talking about.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu May 31, 2018 11:02 pm

El Greco wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 10:27 pm
I have two. I occasionally enjoy a vodka martini and never found anything better than Skyy, and that includes Grey Goose. I also buy Gran Gala (an Italian knockoff) for 1/2 the price of Grand Marnier and I actually like it better.
Gran Gala is a keeper, we've been doing the same for years. Leave to ole reliable "STOCK" to create the generic equivalents....... :)
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:35 am

Once a brand becomes "the latest and the greatest" the quality is sure to suffer. A recent example in my experience is Angel's Envy bourbon, which is aged in port wine barrels. I received a bottle as a gift a few years ago and found it to be a pleasant bourbon to drink neat. According to my local liquor store manager, it was unavailable for awhile. When it became available, I bought a bottle and discovered that it was a typical wholesale bourbon sold by many distilleries to commercial bottlers. There are many more labels for booze than there are distilleries.

DMW

bearcub

Post by bearcub » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:11 am

Colt 45 Malt Liquor. It works everytime. Just ask Billy Dee Williams + Snoop Dog. 8-)

JPH

Post by JPH » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:27 am

smitcat wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 3:46 pm
dm200 wrote:

This is the key answer - if you cannot tell the difference in a blind test there is no reason to pay for it.
If you can tell the diffrence you can make the judgement whether it is worth the extra costs.
If the placebo effect is real and adds to your enjoyment, then why not pay for it?
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:40 am

JPH wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:27 am
smitcat wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 3:46 pm
dm200 wrote:

If the placebo effect is real and adds to your enjoyment, then why not pay for it?
Sure , I agree.
If you are the type that knows they cannot tell the differnce in a product but the label makes you feel better than buy it.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:09 am

JPH wrote:

A most excellent observation, this...

3funder

Post by 3funder » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:38 am

bob60014 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 6:43 pm
3funder wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 5:55 pm
MJW wrote:
3funder wrote:
You mean the "SPIRITS" of the discussion! :D
Haha

MI_bogle

Post by MI_bogle » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:58 am

Alexa9 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 3:05 pm
I’ve been comparing:
There are a ton of great value brands out there, so I agree with your premise that you can get a ton of good liquor for a reasonable price, and that after a point, the increase in taste has diminishing returns as the price rises

However, I would not consider any of your choices "top shelf" personally - many are more of mid-shelf brands. Sure, they might be the top shelf in a small liquor store or convenience store, but not in a good liquor store.

Particularly in bourbon, scotch, and gin there's a drastic increase from bottom shelf to mid-shelf, and then a decent increase for truly top shelf, but many don't find it worth it. There are a bunch of threads about here

Evan Williams is a great value bourbon. But it pales in comparison to something like, say Blantons, Pappy, some of the fancy single malt whiskeys starting to show up, etc. And TRUE bottom shelf whiskey is super nasty.

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:07 am

The Wizard wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:09 am
JPH wrote:

A most excellent observation, this...
These maybe the most anti-Boglehead comments ever written.

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:08 am

I think this depends on your taste buds and how you are using the spirits. I drink whisky and gin. There is a definite difference in the flavor profiles of gins, especially from small producers. As for whisky, I like rye and scotch. My favorites include High West Rendezvous Rye, Springbank 10, Ardbeg Corryvreckan, and Bunnahabhain Ceobanach. I've certainly had more expensive bottles, but these hit the right notes for me. Someone else would likely have different opinions. Try and see what you like, preferably blind. More expensive and older doesn't always mean better.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:16 am

Dead Man Walking wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:35 am
I bought a bottle and discovered that it was a typical wholesale bourbon sold by many distilleries to commercial bottlers. There are many more labels for booze than there are distilleries.

DMW
Yes, this is a huge trap to watch out for. Always read the label of a new bottle you are buying, especially whiskey. One bottle had some BS story about how they scour the country for "lost" barrels then blend them together to create something special and slap a $49.98 price tag on it. Others say something like "distilled in Indianapolis Indiana, aged in Washington state in the finest french sherry barrels in an abandoned salt mine near some special crystals for 4-6 months...$58.99" Thats gonna be a pass for me.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:23 am

barnaclebob wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:16 am
Dead Man Walking wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:35 am
I bought a bottle and discovered that it was a typical wholesale bourbon sold by many distilleries to commercial bottlers. There are many more labels for booze than there are distilleries.

DMW
Yes, this is a huge trap to watch out for. Always read the label of a new bottle you are buying, especially whiskey. One bottle had some BS story about how they scour the country for "lost" barrels then blend them together to create something special and slap a $49.98 price tag on it. Others say something like "distilled in Indianapolis Indiana, aged in Washington state in the finest french sherry barrels in an abandoned salt mine near some special crystals for 4-6 months...$58.99" Thats gonna be a pass for me.
One can avoid this sort of trap by consulting reliable online whiskey review sites when considering a purchase. My favorite is http://thewhiskeyjug.com
You should read his review of Templeton Rye, it's an eye-opener.