steel cut oats in bulk

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
atlanta_dad
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:04 pm

steel cut oats in bulk

Post by atlanta_dad » Thu May 31, 2018 1:25 pm

Where do you buy Bob's red mill steel cut oats in larger quantities like 5 lbs or more. On Amazon.com I found 25 lbs bag, which is too much for me and all others are 24 oz or less,

Thanks in advance

bloom2708
Posts: 6974
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by bloom2708 » Thu May 31, 2018 1:38 pm

It looks like you have the following options:

https://www.bobsredmill.com/quick-cooki ... cut%20oats

22 oz. bag
40 oz. bag
Case (4) of 22 oz.
Case (4) of 40 oz.
25 lb sack (for the hearty eaters)

Quite the leap in size. So I guess look for deals on the 40 oz pack and buy multiples.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

User avatar
prudent
Moderator
Posts: 6889
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 2:50 pm

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by prudent » Thu May 31, 2018 1:40 pm

You could ask your supermarket manager what they would charge you for a case. Might be worth it. A case that a supermarket would buy is probably larger than the "consumer" case of 4 bags.

barnaclebob
Posts: 3968
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:54 am

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by barnaclebob » Thu May 31, 2018 1:45 pm

a google search indicates that costco might have 7lb bags of red mill steel cut oats for less than $10

niceguy7376
Posts: 2460
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:59 pm
Location: Metro ATL

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by niceguy7376 » Thu May 31, 2018 2:02 pm

Are there other brands that are recommended for steel cut oats in bulk?
I was unable to find this at costco site

Jeff Albertson
Posts: 729
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:11 pm
Location: Springfield

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by Jeff Albertson » Thu May 31, 2018 2:06 pm

I've bought 54 oz. bags at Big Lots. I'm rarely in those stores, but I'm guessing it's only periodically available.

Whakamole
Posts: 1095
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:59 pm

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by Whakamole » Thu May 31, 2018 3:29 pm

https://shop.honeyville.com/steel-cut-oats.html

Comes in a #10 can - think those large cans of marinara/nacho cheese sauce/etc. you see at warehouse clubs. This is not the only brand, there are many others. These are typically sold for "preppers."

Advantages:
- It's a good compromise between buying small (and usually overpriced) bags, and buying 25 pound sacks. I'm always afraid that a large bag will get stale.
- Because they are for "preppers", the product is packed with oxygen absorbers and can be stored unopened for years. So you can buy a bunch of cans and just store the rest in the pantry.

Also you might look into oat groats, which is the whole oat grain. Cooking takes more time (a pressure cooker helps) but they are even better than steel cut.

Random Poster
Posts: 1887
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:17 am

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by Random Poster » Thu May 31, 2018 3:49 pm

niceguy7376 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 2:02 pm
Are there other brands that are recommended for steel cut oats in bulk?
I was unable to find this at costco site
Consider Wheat Montana Steel Cut Oats, if they are sold in your area.

They are the best ones that I've had.

UpperNwGuy
Posts: 2684
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:16 pm

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by UpperNwGuy » Thu May 31, 2018 3:52 pm

Just buy directly from Bob's Red Mill. Order online. They are easy to deal with.

tidelandp
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:02 am

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by tidelandp » Thu May 31, 2018 3:55 pm

If you're interested in a case of Bob's Red Mill, I believe Whole Foods will knock 10% off retail, their usual discount for case purchases. If you're not wedded to Bob's, you can purchase any quantity from bulk aisle. For ultimate freshness, there's also your local farmers market. None require a shipping charge.

Bitzer
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:25 am

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by Bitzer » Thu May 31, 2018 4:42 pm

I just looked into this myself today. I spoke with people at Bob's and Costco. Shipping charges are prohibitive at Bob's. For the 7 lbs. bag that was about $10 at Costco, Bob's charges $18 plus shipping. I'm going to wait and hope that Costco again carries Bob's when the winter months arrive.

User avatar
Elsebet
Posts: 780
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:28 pm
Location: Washington state

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by Elsebet » Thu May 31, 2018 4:42 pm

Costco usually has them now but it varies by warehouse. Sadly they are a bit behind IT wise and have no ability to see what is available in a warehouse online but you could probably call ahead and ask.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

Topic Author
atlanta_dad
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:04 pm

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by atlanta_dad » Thu May 31, 2018 8:38 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 1:45 pm
a google search indicates that costco might have 7lb bags of red mill steel cut oats for less than $10
Only once it was sold at our Costco store, now it is not available even on Costco online.

AerialP
Posts: 204
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:34 pm
Location: Central Kentucky

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by AerialP » Thu May 31, 2018 9:30 pm

If you have a local food co-op they almost certainly have bulk steel-cut oats which you can buy in practically any quantity you want, from 1 cup to pounds and pounds.

User avatar
aj76er
Posts: 704
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:34 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by aj76er » Thu May 31, 2018 9:57 pm

I buy Bob's Red Mill Organic Steel Cut Oats 7lbs bag at Costco. It is typically stocked where I live (around Portland, OR). However, my parents have informed me that they cannot get it at their Costco (in Memphis, TN). So, it's dependent on location.
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle

mariezzz
Posts: 847
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:02 pm

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by mariezzz » Thu May 31, 2018 11:05 pm

I watch the sales on the 24 oz bags at my local stores - I can usually get them <$2. You can't stock up too much because the fat content means it can go rancid.

User avatar
Pajamas
Posts: 6015
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:32 pm

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by Pajamas » Thu May 31, 2018 11:15 pm

mariezzz wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 11:05 pm
I watch the sales on the 24 oz bags at my local stores - I can usually get them <$2. You can't stock up too much because the fat content means it can go rancid.
That's my experience, too, so I wouldn't want to buy more than one can at a time, but I guess it depends on how fast you consume it.

I keep flour and cornmeal in the refrigerator because I don't use them very quickly but I never thought about keeping oatmeal in there for some reason.

inbox788
Posts: 6661
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by inbox788 » Thu May 31, 2018 11:55 pm

I've not had luck at local Costco finding steel cut oats, but I bought the Coach's Oats (also at Costco) as a decent substitute over Quaker rolled oats.

https://www.amazon.com/Coachs-Oats-Whol ... 005EL6VOY/ (for reference)

MrsRoos
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:14 pm

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by MrsRoos » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:04 am

We buy it at our local Costco. 112 oz bag for $10.42.
“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” - Kenneth Boulding

annielouise
Posts: 382
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 4:11 pm

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by annielouise » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:29 am

We almost always bought steel cut oats from bulk bins at Sprouts. They had regular sales (and probably still do, but I can no longer eat oatmeal) that made it very inexpensive.

Bitzer
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:25 am

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by Bitzer » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:54 am

To those who have seen/purchased Bob's oats at Costco, has this been within the past month or so?

User avatar
oldcomputerguy
Moderator
Posts: 6436
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:50 am
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by oldcomputerguy » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:58 am

Elsebet wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 4:42 pm
Costco usually has them now but it varies by warehouse. Sadly they are a bit behind IT wise and have no ability to see what is available in a warehouse online but you could probably call ahead and ask.
Funny you should mention Costco’s IT, I was in our local warehouse recently and found that they were using AS/400 facilities for inventory control.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

dcabler
Posts: 1141
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:30 am

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by dcabler » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:24 am

Costco here in Austin has continually had the 7 lb Bob's Red Mill.
Sprouts here has it in bulk. It's actually slightly more expensive here than Costco on a per-lb basis.

dcabler
Posts: 1141
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:30 am

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by dcabler » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:26 am

Bitzer wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:54 am
To those who have seen/purchased Bob's oats at Costco, has this been within the past month or so?
Yes - just last Saturday.

SMV
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:41 pm
Location: United States

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by SMV » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:50 am

If you have the large grocery store Winco in your area, they are the best for bulk purchases. I regularly buy steel cut oats in the bulk section for $0.62/lb. Prices on other bulk foods are corresponding low.

User avatar
Kenkat
Posts: 5357
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by Kenkat » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:57 am

Hopefully you are making a big batch of goetta https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goetta but probably not based on your user name :happy

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18984
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:40 am

This is off-topic but does not deserve its own thread. Normally, I avoid carbohydrates and thus I avoid grains. But as an experiment, I have purchased some steel-cut oats at Whole Foods, from a bulk bin where I could get a small quantity at a good price.

I then surfed the web for advice on eating uncooked oats. I have improvised from what I've read into my own "recipe:" I soaked the oats for 16 hours in a cold water with some plain yogurt and dry additives including chia seeds, hemp hearts, flaxseed, and acacia powder. Soaked oats were softer and more edible than the original dry ones, and I ate them raw with spices. I am curious if others have experimented with uncooked oats.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

bhsince87
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:08 pm

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by bhsince87 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:25 pm

Kenkat wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:57 am
Hopefully you are making a big batch of goetta https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goetta but probably not based on your user name :happy
Very interesting. I've made that in the past, but didn't know it had a name!

My PA Dutch grandparents made scrapple, and my grandfather talked about eating "oat scrapple" when he was a kid.

So one day I made a batch of scrapple using oats instead of cormeal, and he said that was exactly like he remembered it!

For the past few years, I've ditched the cormeal and stuck with the oat version.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams

User avatar
praxis
Posts: 514
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:51 pm

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by praxis » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:58 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:40 am
This is off-topic but does not deserve its own thread. Normally, I avoid carbohydrates and thus I avoid grains. But as an experiment, I have purchased some steel-cut oats at Whole Foods, from a bulk bin where I could get a small quantity at a good price.

I then surfed the web for advice on eating uncooked oats. I have improvised from what I've read into my own "recipe:" I soaked the oats for 16 hours in a cold water with some plain yogurt and dry additives including chia seeds, hemp hearts, flaxseed, and acacia powder. Soaked oats were softer and more edible than the original dry ones, and I ate them raw with spices. I am curious if others have experimented with uncooked oats. I love cooked steel cut oats, but haven't tried them raw or soaked.

Victoria
I mix about 3 parts raw Old Fashioned Rolled Oats with 1 part homemade or store bought toasted granola and eat it with cold milk. Most granolas are too caloric for me to eat straight, but I like the extra flavor and crunch my mix has. If the granola has nuts or dried fruit, I don't need to add more. I find the milk softens the oats enough for me and the fiber in this mix is filling and sustaining. I love cooked steel cut oats, but haven't tried them raw or soaked.

User avatar
Kenkat
Posts: 5357
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by Kenkat » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:27 pm

bhsince87 wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:25 pm
Kenkat wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:57 am
Hopefully you are making a big batch of goetta https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goetta but probably not based on your user name :happy
Very interesting. I've made that in the past, but didn't know it had a name!

My PA Dutch grandparents made scrapple, and my grandfather talked about eating "oat scrapple" when he was a kid.

So one day I made a batch of scrapple using oats instead of cormeal, and he said that was exactly like he remembered it!

For the past few years, I've ditched the cormeal and stuck with the oat version.
I personally think goetta is better than scrapple but it’s a point of discussion with some friends from PA. :D

freckles01
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:43 pm

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by freckles01 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:35 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:40 am
This is off-topic but does not deserve its own thread. Normally, I avoid carbohydrates and thus I avoid grains. But as an experiment, I have purchased some steel-cut oats at Whole Foods, from a bulk bin where I could get a small quantity at a good price.

I then surfed the web for advice on eating uncooked oats. I have improvised from what I've read into my own "recipe:" I soaked the oats for 16 hours in a cold water with some plain yogurt and dry additives including chia seeds, hemp hearts, flaxseed, and acacia powder. Soaked oats were softer and more edible than the original dry ones, and I ate them raw with spices. I am curious if others have experimented with uncooked oats.

Victoria
When I eat oatmeal, I used to pressure cook my steel cut oats but started soaking them too with chia seeds for that last month. I soak in water or homemade nut milk in fridge for at least 12 hrs but usually make a double batch and its softer the second day.

google overnight oats to get a bunch of recipe ideas. I use them in a peanut cacao banana date shake with a handful of greens thrown in- i'm not carb adverse but like the idea of soaking vs cooking:)

have you tried soaking and/or sprouting grains too?

Housedoc
Posts: 459
Joined: Thu May 24, 2018 4:25 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by Housedoc » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:59 pm

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:58 am
Elsebet wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 4:42 pm
Costco usually has them now but it varies by warehouse. Sadly they are a bit behind IT wise and have no ability to see what is available in a warehouse online but you could probably call ahead and ask.
Funny you should mention Costco’s IT, I was in our local warehouse recently and found that they were using AS/400 facilities for inventory control.
I figured it was a System 34 or 36. Been retired long enough I can't remember and thats a great thing!

User avatar
tooluser
Posts: 470
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by tooluser » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:57 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:40 am
I am curious if others have experimented with uncooked oats.
Victoria
See here:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muesli
The discovery of America, and that of a passage to the East Indies by the Cape of Good Hope, are the two greatest and most important events recorded in the history of mankind. -- Adam Smith, 1776

User avatar
Kenkat
Posts: 5357
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by Kenkat » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:33 pm

Housedoc wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:59 pm
oldcomputerguy wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:58 am
Elsebet wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 4:42 pm
Costco usually has them now but it varies by warehouse. Sadly they are a bit behind IT wise and have no ability to see what is available in a warehouse online but you could probably call ahead and ask.
Funny you should mention Costco’s IT, I was in our local warehouse recently and found that they were using AS/400 facilities for inventory control.
I figured it was a System 34 or 36. Been retired long enough I can't remember and thats a great thing!
S/34/36/38 became the AS/400 line. RPG II anyone?

olliema
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:34 pm

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by olliema » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:57 pm

If OP's user name indicates area of residence, I would try the Dekalb Farmer's market. They sell organic oats and many other things in bulk for pennies on the dollar.

jlawrence01
Posts: 1563
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:34 am
Location: Southern AZ

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by jlawrence01 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:33 pm

duplicate post
Last edited by jlawrence01 on Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jlawrence01
Posts: 1563
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:34 am
Location: Southern AZ

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by jlawrence01 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:33 pm

bhsince87 wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:25 pm
Kenkat wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:57 am
Hopefully you are making a big batch of goetta https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goetta but probably not based on your user name :happy
Very interesting. I've made that in the past, but didn't know it had a name!

My PA Dutch grandparents made scrapple, and my grandfather talked about eating "oat scrapple" when he was a kid.

So one day I made a batch of scrapple using oats instead of cormeal, and he said that was exactly like he remembered it!

For the past few years, I've ditched the cormeal and stuck with the oat version.


Two points:

Some Germans used buckwheat and made a similar dish names panhaus.

Goetta is made with pin oats, not steel cut oats. And most goetta includes some beef in addition to the pork which can make it significantly different from scrapple.

And for those who wonder what all this is all about is that these items were made to use up the scraps you get when slaughtering the hogs in spring and fall.

SeaToTheBay
Posts: 172
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:11 pm

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by SeaToTheBay » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:03 pm

I always microwave the "quick cook" steel cut oats for ~3min. Can you do this with "regular" steel cut oats?

User avatar
BrandonBogle
Posts: 2148
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:19 pm

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by BrandonBogle » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:56 pm

praxis wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:58 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:40 am
This is off-topic but does not deserve its own thread. Normally, I avoid carbohydrates and thus I avoid grains. But as an experiment, I have purchased some steel-cut oats at Whole Foods, from a bulk bin where I could get a small quantity at a good price.

I then surfed the web for advice on eating uncooked oats. I have improvised from what I've read into my own "recipe:" I soaked the oats for 16 hours in a cold water with some plain yogurt and dry additives including chia seeds, hemp hearts, flaxseed, and acacia powder. Soaked oats were softer and more edible than the original dry ones, and I ate them raw with spices. I am curious if others have experimented with uncooked oats. I love cooked steel cut oats, but haven't tried them raw or soaked.

Victoria
I mix about 3 parts raw Old Fashioned Rolled Oats with 1 part homemade or store bought toasted granola and eat it with cold milk. Most granolas are too caloric for me to eat straight, but I like the extra flavor and crunch my mix has. If the granola has nuts or dried fruit, I don't need to add more. I find the milk softens the oats enough for me and the fiber in this mix is filling and sustaining. I love cooked steel cut oats, but haven't tried them raw or soaked.
I do both of these. Old fashioned rolled outs with pumpkin flax granola or overnight oats with unsweet coconut, cacao nibs, chia seeds, flaxseed, and whatever liquid I'm in the mood for - sometimes water, sometimes milk, sometimes water + half and half (my coffee creamer of choice). From there, I do make occasional slight variations, like including dark chocolate morsels, peanut butter powder, or topping with maple syrup for sweetness. Maybe 70% of the time, I eat them immediately rather than waiting overnight :)

Reubin
Posts: 383
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:39 pm

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by Reubin » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:35 pm

atlanta_dad wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 1:25 pm
Where do you buy Bob's red mill steel cut oats in larger quantities like 5 lbs or more. On Amazon.com I found 25 lbs bag, which is too much for me and all others are 24 oz or less,

Thanks in advance
Buying steel cut oats in bulk will lead to bulk in more ways than one. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

mrc
Posts: 1379
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:39 am

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by mrc » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:52 pm

I've used Honeyville for bulk grains, flours, and several other dry goods. Easy to order and good quality.

They have steel cut oats in several quantities, and many other grains worth trying.
Macs are for those who don’t want to know why their computer works | Linux is for those who do | DOS is for those who want to know why their computer doesn’t work | Windows is for those who don’t

toofache32
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:30 pm

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by toofache32 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:51 pm

So confused. Are we talking about oatmeal here?? Breakfast?? Whatever happened to Quaker?

User avatar
Kenkat
Posts: 5357
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by Kenkat » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:27 pm

jlawrence01 wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:33 pm
bhsince87 wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:25 pm
Kenkat wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:57 am
Hopefully you are making a big batch of goetta https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goetta but probably not based on your user name :happy
Very interesting. I've made that in the past, but didn't know it had a name!

My PA Dutch grandparents made scrapple, and my grandfather talked about eating "oat scrapple" when he was a kid.

So one day I made a batch of scrapple using oats instead of cormeal, and he said that was exactly like he remembered it!

For the past few years, I've ditched the cormeal and stuck with the oat version.
Two points:

Some Germans used buckwheat and made a similar dish names panhaus.

Goetta is made with pin oats, not steel cut oats. And most goetta includes some beef in addition to the pork which can make it significantly different from scrapple.

And for those who wonder what all this is all about is that these items were made to use up the scraps you get when slaughtering the hogs in spring and fall.
Goetta can use pin oats or steel cut oats; from the wikipedia article:

While goetta comes in a variety of forms, all goetta is based around ground meat combined with pin-head or steel-cut oats, the "traditional Low German cook's way of stretching a minimum amount of meat to feed a maximum number of people.

Also, www.goetta.com which is the website for the local brand Glier’s also indicates they use steel cut oats.

I’d say the cornmeal is what makes scrapple significantly different. The meat is a minor ingredient.

User avatar
Wade Garrett
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:41 pm
Location: Jasper, MO/Double Deuce

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by Wade Garrett » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:59 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:40 am
I then surfed the web for advice on eating uncooked oats. I have improvised from what I've read into my own "recipe:" I soaked the oats for 16 hours in a cold water with some plain yogurt and dry additives including chia seeds, hemp hearts, flaxseed, and acacia powder. Soaked oats were softer and more edible than the original dry ones, and I ate them raw with spices. I am curious if others have experimented with uncooked oats.
I eat uncooked steel cut oats all the time. Soaking overnight in order to soften them is a must.

Sometimes I throw the soaked oats in a smoothie. Or sometimes I mix them up in a bowl with berries, nuts/seeds, cinnamon, etc.

Good way to start your day.

kmox
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:12 am

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by kmox » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:29 am

+1 for Honeyville. We usually buy 50lbs of bulk quick oats. And, they have a flat shipping fee of $4.95. I've never been able to find a better option through Amazon or other bulk suppliers.

stoptothink
Posts: 6536
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by stoptothink » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:44 am

SMV wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:50 am
If you have the large grocery store Winco in your area, they are the best for bulk purchases. I regularly buy steel cut oats in the bulk section for $0.62/lb. Prices on other bulk foods are corresponding low.
This. The prices I am seeing here are several times what we spend on bulk oat groats/barley/etc. I doubt there is much difference in what Winco sells and what comes in a bag labelled Bob's Red Mill or Coach's.

rj49
Posts: 515
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:22 am

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by rj49 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:51 pm

If you’re like me and consider my time and convenience valuable, you might try Trader Joe’s frozen steel cut oats. Each box has two generous servings, about $1.70 per box, and takes 3 minutes to make. It comes out at a perfect consistency, has a small amount of maple syrup and brown sugar already added, and no clean-up or having to wait or monitor cooking. As with pre-made salads, it removes the hassle factor, so I eat more of it and thus have a healthier diet, so the added expense is worth it to me.

GeraniumLover
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by GeraniumLover » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:49 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:44 am
The prices I am seeing here are several times what we spend on bulk oat groats/barley/etc. I doubt there is much difference in what Winco sells and what comes in a bag labelled Bob's Red Mill or Coach's.
Bob's Red Mill has gluten-free steel cut oats; I wouldn't trust bulk oats to be safe from cross contamination.

c1over8
Posts: 259
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:15 am

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by c1over8 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:12 pm

Bitzer wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:54 am
To those who have seen/purchased Bob's oats at Costco, has this been within the past month or so?
I bought some at costco in Virginia the beginning of January, 7lbs for $7.99. I haven't checked for them since, but they did not stock them for a long time before I found them in January. Might be an annual seasonal item here.

mancich
Posts: 722
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:05 pm

Re: steel cut oats in bulk

Post by mancich » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:34 pm

toofache32 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:51 pm
So confused. Are we talking about oatmeal here?? Breakfast?? Whatever happened to Quaker?
Quaker is by far the leading oatmeal company, and also sells Steel Cut Oats.

Post Reply