Hotel Charged on Reservation vs Actual Night Stayed?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
armeliusc

Hotel Charged on Reservation vs Actual Night Stayed?

Post by armeliusc » Wed May 30, 2018 2:26 pm

Hello,

On my recent trip I had a hotel reservation for 6 nights. Near last minute we decided to modify the trip and instead decided to stay elsewhere on the last night. When we checked in at the hotel we notified them that we will be checking out after 5 nights. We have done something similar before and never had issue. At checked out all the charges look OK and I had a folio (receipt) itemizing every night for 5 night.

Now a few days later, in addition to the 5 night charge on my CC, I see that I have another charge from the hotel. When I emailed them to find out they said it's because the reservation was for 6 night, they added one addition night charge as a separate charge. And I was like .. seriously?

Their reservation policy stated that it has to be canceled within 24 hours or one get charged for 1 night. In my mind, I basically modified the reservation 5 days in advanced (i.e. we stayed 5 nights and just removed 6th night), so this is kinda outrageous. What would you do? I am planning to dispute the charge with Chase/Visa if they don't reverse it.

AC

ResearchMed

Re: Hotel Charged on Reservation vs Actual Night Stayed?

Post by ResearchMed » Wed May 30, 2018 2:35 pm

armeliusc wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 2:26 pm
Hello,

On my recent trip I had a hotel reservation for 6 nights. Near last minute we decided to modify the trip and instead decided to stay elsewhere on the last night. When we checked in at the hotel we notified them that we will be checking out after 5 nights. We have done something similar before and never had issue. At checked out all the charges look OK and I had a folio (receipt) itemizing every night for 5 night.

Now a few days later, in addition to the 5 night charge on my CC, I see that I have another charge from the hotel. When I emailed them to find out they said it's because the reservation was for 6 night, they added one addition night charge as a separate charge. And I was like .. seriously?

Their reservation policy stated that it has to be canceled within 24 hours or one get charged for 1 night. In my mind, I basically modified the reservation 5 days in advanced (i.e. we stayed 5 nights and just removed 6th night), so this is kinda outrageous. What would you do? I am planning to dispute the charge with Chase/Visa if they don't reverse it.

AC
Do contact the charge card company.

OTOH, also check that the terms of the reservation didn't require notification prior to 24 hours of check in for *any* change in the reservation.
That may not sound "fair", but IF it's the way the terms are written....

(Sometimes, we make several sequential one-night reservations to avoid anything like this, although usually when we do this, it's because there we could find some nights at lower rates, but when we try to make a multi-night reservation, all nights get bumped up to the regular rate.)

Good luck.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Wed May 30, 2018 2:43 pm

It depends on what you agreed to in the t&c. I've seen some hotels require payment at time of reservation, and some that offer a discount if you do. I've also been required to pay for my stay in full at check-in. Some payments are non refundable. If you chargeback that hotel might blacklist you, but they can do that for any reason.

student

Post by student » Wed May 30, 2018 2:47 pm

If this is a chain hotel and you have status (even the lowest tier that anybody can join), I suggest that you call the main office and complain. One time I booked a suite room with two beds (perhaps with points). Since it was a late flight, I called the day before to ensure that they have our room. When I arrived, they gave us a suite with a King bed. I complained and the staff said that was our reservation and no other rooms were available. I called the main office and complained. The staff at the front desk called me and said a suite with two beds was available afterall due to a guest leaving.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Wed May 30, 2018 2:48 pm

You did not change or cancel the reservation within 24 hours before you checked in, so it sounds like according to their policy you got charged for one night as a penalty for a late change. I understand your position...that you canceled the 6th night with more than 24 hours notice...and I am sympathetic to that position, but I suspect the hotel will take the position that all 6 nights were part of one reservation, and the whole reservation had to be canceled or changed with 24 hours notice before your arrival. I don't work in the hotel industry, but I have traveled and stayed in quite a few hotels and made many reservations, and I think that hotels generally treat a reservation as a single entity regardless of the number of nights stayed.
Last edited by mptfan on Wed May 30, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

tev9876

Post by tev9876 » Wed May 30, 2018 2:51 pm

Has the extra charge actually posted or is it still "pending"? They will place an authorization charge when you first check in and then another charge that will actually post with the final bill. Depending on your bank it may take a couple weeks for the initial pending charge to drop. Chase seems to drop in about five days but Citibank authorizations hang around longer, often a week or more after the stay. If it is still pending ignore it for another week and it will likely disappear.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed May 30, 2018 2:52 pm

Start with the hotel manager. Likely, that'll take care of it.

If not, call the chain headquarters. Ask them to pull up your frequent stayer number. They'll see how many nights you've stayed with them. Mention another similar chain and that you can just as easily use them in the future. If no refund, use the other chain.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Wed May 30, 2018 2:54 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 2:35 pm
Sometimes, we make several sequential one-night reservations to avoid anything like this...
In that situation, do you have to check out and then check back in every day?

onourway

Post by onourway » Wed May 30, 2018 2:56 pm

I have been traveling on open-ended hotel reservations for going on two decades. Since I don't know how long my stay will be I nearly always make the reservation for longer than necessary and then check out as needed. The ONLY time I've ever been charged for more nights than I actually stayed was once when I made a reservation through a site like Travelocity or similar, and it turned out that reservation was sold as a flat-fee, no changes allowed. The company ate the charge without complaint and I learned to be more careful (although I'd made that reservation at 11pm before flying from one job site to another at 6am the next morning, so they cut me some slack).

I would escalate the issue and if they won't budge, write that chain off from your future list of choices.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Wed May 30, 2018 2:58 pm

onourway wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 2:56 pm
I would escalate the issue and if they won't budge, write that chain off from your future list of choices.
The OP did not say whether the hotel was part of a chain.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed May 30, 2018 3:05 pm

mptfan wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 2:54 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
Sometimes, we make several sequential one-night reservations to avoid anything like this...
Nope, never had to.

What we do is contact the Front Desk Manager (or General Manager) well in advance, usually shortly after making the reservation, and ask them to connect the reservations.
We've always said that we understand if they need for us to move, but that hopefully given that it's <x weeks/months> in advance, they won't need to.

If we do this closer to arrival date, they may already have other multi-night reservations that would interfere.
A reasonably large hotel can usually juggle rooms to arrange this.

But do NOT wait until just a few days prior to arrival, or they may not be able to do this without moving other guests who have already checked in, and... they don't want to do that, obviously, when they can move *you* instead :shock:

We had one 5-star hotel overseas where we got several separate nights online on the hotel's own website, at much lower rates. A couple of nights were much more.
When we emailed them to connect them, they surprised us by telling us "of course, and we will honor you lowest rate for all nights". We did NOT expect tha, and we didn't hint at that, either. We were just trying to avoid moving mid-stay.

RM

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Wed May 30, 2018 3:11 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:05 pm
What we do is contact the Front Desk Manager (or General Manager) well in advance, usually shortly after making the reservation, and ask them to connect the reservations.
Thank you for this tip, I never thought of making multiple reservations and connecting them, I did not know that connecting reservations was a thing.

armeliusc

Post by armeliusc » Wed May 30, 2018 3:17 pm

This is verbatim copy from their reservation confirmation email:
"CANCELLATION MUST BE MADE BEFORE 4PM DAY OF ARRIVAL. IF UNSUCCESFUL, YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR ONE NIGHT."

So, really technically I am not canceling reservation, just modifying it.

They replied to my email and just basically give me copy of a receipt showing departure on the 6th night (which is not truthful) and 1 night charge. I asked them to reverse the charge. I guess I will give them another day before I go through my CC to dispute the charge. It is very unlikely we ever going to stay there in the future (it was kinda a one-time trip) so I don't care if they blacklist me.

mhc

Post by mhc » Wed May 30, 2018 3:29 pm

I would call the hotel and politely ask them to correct it. If that doesn't work, then I would escalte. I would not use the credit card company if the hotel is following policy.

student

Post by student » Wed May 30, 2018 3:31 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
mptfan wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:
Nope, never had to.

We've always said that we understand if they need for us to move, but that hopefully given that it's <x weeks/months> in advance, they won't need to.

If we do this closer to arrival date, they may already have other multi-night reservations that would interfere.

But do NOT wait until just a few days prior to arrival, or they may not be able to do this without moving other guests who have already checked in, and... they don't want to do that, obviously, when they can move *you* instead :shock:
Good suggestion. I have done that in the past and just let them know when I arrive. But calling in advance seems prudent.

armeliusc

Post by armeliusc » Wed May 30, 2018 3:36 pm

To add even more info:
Not sure if this is part of a chain, but this is out of the country and a 5-star hotel / chain I've never heard of before, so I don't have any membership / status with this particular hotel / chain. This is actually a hotel where a conference was being held so we booked with the hotel directly. My trip was mostly for business; the company had actually authorized 6 night stays (since the conference ended rather late the last night), but we decided to combine with personal trip so it was then more efficient for us to start traveling, so we thought we'd do that and 'save' the company the extra night at the hotel.

Both charges (the 'correct' one for the nights we stayed, and the 'extra' additional night) have actually posted.

As I've mentioned before, I have done something like this few times and never had any problem (but it was always in the country with the typical hotels / chains (e.g. SPG, Hiltons, etc).

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Wed May 30, 2018 3:39 pm

armeliusc wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:17 pm
"CANCELLATION MUST BE MADE BEFORE 4PM DAY OF ARRIVAL. IF UNSUCCESFUL, YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR ONE NIGHT."

Technically, since you did not cancel before 4PM on the day of arrival, you are responsible for the entire reservation, which means 6 days, not 5, and I suspect that is why they charged you for the additional night after you left. It's possible their policy does not allow for modifications to existing reservations, especially modifications made after the 4PM deadline, or, they are silent about late modifications, in which case you are assuming that you can modify it after the deadline without an express agreement one way or the other. A reasonable case can be made that since you reserved 6 nights and you did not cancel the reservation before the agreed cancelation deadline, then you are obligated to pay for the 6 reserved nights as agreed.

I suspect that the hotel takes the position that if the reservation is not canceled or modified by 4PM on the day of arrival, then no cancelations or modifications to the reservation are allowed without penalty.
Last edited by mptfan on Wed May 30, 2018 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed May 30, 2018 3:47 pm

student wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:31 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
mptfan wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:
Nope, never had to.

Good suggestion. I have done that in the past and just let them know when I arrive. But calling in advance seems prudent.
Right.

The problem with waiting until arrival is that even though the hotel might be happy to help and even want to help, IF they've got other rooms occupied such that there isn't any single room (or however many you have reserved, etc.) "available the entire time you are there", then they are not going to kick someone out of a room then or later, whenever it interferes with your ongoing stay.

Another term to use is to ask them if they could "block one room for our entire stay, please" [even if not on the same reservation].

The point is not just that you don't want to have to "check out" (which is paperwork), but you typically don't want to *move*.
There have been times when staying on after a conference that the payment type (or even rate) changes.
In those cases, we do need to "check out" on paper, but we typically don't "move" or even leave the room... IF we've given them advance notice so they have the same room available for us the entire time.

Another trick is... IF there is the category room we want for some/most of the nights - and again, the farther in advance, the better - but not all of the nights, we'll tell the Manager (whichever one we've reached) that we "of course" don't mind moving, "but IF" a room opens up such that we don't have to switch categories... etc.

Occasionally, if the "problem" was that we had to take a higher cost room category for one or more nights... sometimes we are surprised when checking in to be upgraded for the entire stay, with no change in our cost (of course).

Note that "Front Desk Managers" (and some other staff) and certainly the General Manager have a LOT of discretion in juggling rooms. Just make your "special request" as pleasant and easy for *them* as possible :happy

RM

armeliusc

Post by armeliusc » Wed May 30, 2018 3:55 pm

mptfan wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:39 pm
armeliusc wrote:

Technically, since you did not cancel before 4PM on the day of arrival, you are responsible for the entire reservation, which means 6 days, not 5, and I suspect that is why they charged you for the additional night after you left. It's possible their policy does not allow for modifications to existing reservations, especially modifications made after the 4PM deadline, or, they are silent about late modifications, in which case you are assuming that you can modify it after the deadline without an express agreement one way or the other. I suspect that the hotel takes the position that if the reservation is not canceled or modified by 4PM on the day of arrival, then no cancelations or modifications to the reservation are allowed without penalty.
We also arrived well before 4pm and the front desk didn't raise any issue when I said we're leaving on the 5th night instead. Actually had they just given me a folio / receipt for all 6 days and charged me for all of them at once, I would just give the whole thing to the company and I'm sure it's not a problem. What the hotel did (parceling out the charges) is what makes this whole thing stinks.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed May 30, 2018 3:56 pm

armeliusc wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:36 pm
To add even more info:
Not sure if this is part of a chain, but this is out of the country and a 5-star hotel / chain I've never heard of before, so I don't have any membership / status with this particular hotel / chain. This is actually a hotel where a conference was being held so we booked with the hotel directly. My trip was mostly for business; the company had actually authorized 6 night stays (since the conference ended rather late the last night), but we decided to combine with personal trip so it was then more efficient for us to start traveling, so we thought we'd do that and 'save' the company the extra night at the hotel.

Both charges (the 'correct' one for the nights we stayed, and the 'extra' additional night) have actually posted.

As I've mentioned before, I have done something like this few times and never had any problem (but it was always in the country with the typical hotels / chains (e.g. SPG, Hiltons, etc).
For "next time"/etc.:

You wrote that "When we checked in at the hotel we notified them that we will be checking out after 5 nights."

Given that you didn't notify them in advance, what you SHOULD have done was make it clear right then that you "hoped" or "would appreciate it" if they could cancel that last night and not charge you.

All you actually did is notify them that you were "leaving early".
That means something different, or it certainly can.
(They may even have been reluctant to enter the room until that final night/day had ended, in case you were still there, given that you were entitled to be there.)

Again, as I mentioned above, be as specific as possible AND as *POLITE* as possible whenever requesting any sort of special consideration, even if it's just a room location.

Or if you had asked "IF" they are able to rent the room to someone else that last night, you'd appreciate a refund or not being charged, etc.

Point is, meet them half-way (or more)... help them to *want* to help you.
Even if you feel "fully entitled" to <x>, it's still courteous to "help them to help you" if you want anything at all "special or different".

In almost all cases, they want their guests to leave happy.

RM

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Wed May 30, 2018 3:59 pm

You've gotten lots of opinions here. Now you need to call the hotel and discuss it with them directly.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Wed May 30, 2018 4:09 pm

armeliusc wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:36 pm

Google "Early Departure Fee <your hotel chain>" and see what the rules are. I think most of them reserve the right or even have a policy to charge for an extra night. I have often seen a notice in the lobby or on the room door. Whether you actually get charged the fee is another question and may depend on whether you are a good customer, whether you are asking politely, whether you have a good reason (emergency?) to leave, etc.

E.g.,

http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/info/reserv ... ules.jhtml

"Check-in/Check-out Policy: Rates quoted are based on check-in date and length of stay shown. Should you depart early prior to the departure date confirmed for any reason, hotels may impose an early departure fee."

OP, did you explicitly ask at checkout time whether there will be a fee or charge for the last night?

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Wed May 30, 2018 4:29 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 4:09 pm

http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/info/reserv ... ules.jhtml

"Check-in/Check-out Policy: Rates quoted are based on check-in date and length of stay shown. Should you depart early prior to the departure date confirmed for any reason, hotels may impose an early departure fee."
Marriott also charges a fee if a reservation is not cancelled 48 hours before arrival, and there are no apparent provisions for changing a reservation once the deadline passes...

https://www.marriott.com/about/res-canc ... -policy.mi

goingup

Post by goingup » Wed May 30, 2018 6:02 pm

armeliusc wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:55 pm
mptfan wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:39 pm
armeliusc wrote:

Technically, since you did not cancel before 4PM on the day of arrival, you are responsible for the entire reservation, which means 6 days, not 5, and I suspect that is why they charged you for the additional night after you left. It's possible their policy does not allow for modifications to existing reservations, especially modifications made after the 4PM deadline, or, they are silent about late modifications, in which case you are assuming that you can modify it after the deadline without an express agreement one way or the other. I suspect that the hotel takes the position that if the reservation is not canceled or modified by 4PM on the day of arrival, then no cancelations or modifications to the reservation are allowed without penalty.
We also arrived well before 4pm and the front desk didn't raise any issue when I said we're leaving on the 5th night instead. Actually had they just given me a folio / receipt for all 6 days and charged me for all of them at once, I would just give the whole thing to the company and I'm sure it's not a problem. What the hotel did (parceling out the charges) is what makes this whole thing stinks.
You gave them adequate notice. You're going to have to pursue this further with a phone call to the manager of the hotel. As someone else noted, if the charge shows "pending" with your credit card on-line, it may well disappear and not result in a charge. Wait until it actually posts before picking up the gauntlet. :annoyed
Really, I can't imagine a hotel would charge you after having stayed for 5 days. It has never happened to me. It would be unusual for a hotel to generate this type of bad-will.

Poppinjay

Post by Poppinjay » Wed May 30, 2018 10:08 pm

At the hotel I work at if you are nice and polite, and are or might be a repeat guest they will generally kiss your butt to make you happy. If you're a jerk you're screwed. Anyway, if they won't reverse the charge to keep you happy then I would make it clear that you will never stay there again.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Wed May 30, 2018 11:42 pm

goingup wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 6:02 pm
Really, I can't imagine a hotel would charge you after having stayed for 5 days. It has never happened to me. It would be unusual for a hotel to generate this type of bad-will.
It's never happened to me either. Then again, I have never checked out early. How often have you actually done that? :)

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Wed May 30, 2018 11:44 pm

armeliusc wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:55 pm
If your main concern is that the folio is a problem for your reimbursement, simply ask them for a new consolidated folio showing the six nights because you need it for reimbursement reasons.

celia

Post by celia » Thu May 31, 2018 2:34 am

Since this happened in another country, there could be a language difficulty in getting your point across. The front desk will probably be fluent in English, but not the back office necessarily (ie, email response).
armeliusc wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 2:26 pm
Have you yet called them to clarify what I am quoting? I figure there are some clients who need to leave early the following day, so they pay for their room the day before leaving, but are still charged for all of them. How is the hotel supposed to differentiate between these customers and you? Did the front desk staff at check-in time change your reservation? That seems to be the problem.

2cents2

Post by 2cents2 » Thu May 31, 2018 5:37 am

mptfan wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 4:29 pm
Marriott also charges a fee if a reservation is not cancelled 48 hours before arrival, and there are no apparent provisions for changing a reservation once the deadline passes...

https://www.marriott.com/about/res-canc ... -policy.mi
Marriott has always been very accommodating when we have had to depart early. When we check in we tell them there might be a possibility we might have to leave early, how much advance notice do they require? Usually, they want us to let them know the night before.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Thu May 31, 2018 5:49 am

Assuming you've gone as far as you can with the hotel management, another option is to post your experience on some place like Yelp before disputing with the CC company. Just list your expectations and the hotel's response in polite terms. I don't see any difference for the hotel between cancelling a one-day reservation 5 days in advance versus cancelling the last day of a 6-day reservation at check-in. They still have 5 days to fill the room. Even if the hotel is within its rights according to the terms, it is not something for which I would want to risk poor publicity.

armeliusc

Post by armeliusc » Thu May 31, 2018 8:29 am

Hello,
OP here, and I have finally a good resolution: I finally got to call them (the time difference made it a bit hard to find a good time), and they were being very apologetic about it and said it was a mistake on their part / their system since I mentioned that I had specified my departure time at check in. So they are refunding the charge.

And yes, I have always asked nicely and politely although that may not come across in my posts :) Also another lesson is that it is often easier just to call and talk nicely than trying to solve this kind of things via email (which I attempted before because of (lack of) time).

I think I would differentiate this than just early departure. If one just decides to suddenly leave in the middle of their stay, then that'd be early departure and I can understand if the hotel would still charge at least an extra night. In my case I notified them well in advance, and if they had said I'd still be charged for the whole reservation then we'd probably have stayed the extra night anyway and modified our plan. As I mentioned, we don't always do this but we've done it multiple time, and it was always multiple night stays and we would notify them at check in.

As always, thanks for the responses!

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu May 31, 2018 8:33 am

Glad to hear it!

RM