Recommend new TV for 93 year old lady

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
bestplans

Recommend new TV for 93 year old lady

Post by bestplans » Wed May 30, 2018 9:05 am

Time to replace her old tube TV. Would appreciate any recommendations (before I, a below average tech savvy person, scours the Best Buy reviews)

Requirements:
- Screen size in the 40 inch range
- Budget <$300
- Easy and intuitive remote (with big letters)
- Clear picture (obviously)
- Able to accommodate cable (i.e., a tuner interface) and with at least 2 HDMI ports (she uses a DVD player)
- Doesn't need a Smart TV (she has a Roku), but if it is one that might be a bonus if it meets the above requirements (she uses the Roku sparingly for Netflix but I think it's because she doesn't find it very intuitive because of the remote)

Alexa9

Re: Recommend new TV for 93 year old lady

Post by Alexa9 » Wed May 30, 2018 9:20 am

LG and Samsung are great. Most new TV's are fairly smart although not as smart as your Roku.

LG 43" 4K $300 https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage ... &keys=keys

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed May 30, 2018 9:22 am

Do you have a Best Buy close? All of your requirements should be met. It is quite amazing how much TV you can get for under $300. The Best Buy "Insignia" brand offers a good/low cost option.

What does she have for cable? One issue may be that if she has an SD cable package, the stretched content may not look so good on a bigger new TV.

To this day I cannot get my parents (low 70s) to understand HD. My dad refuses to get a cable box. He constantly complains about the stretched picture of his SD channels on his 55" TV. Why are their legs so short? Well dad, you are watching a 4:3 picture on a widescreen TV. It is stretched out.

Look at the remotes of potential TVs. You may want to find one that has larger buttons or consider adding a universal remote with bigger buttons.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

student

Post by student » Wed May 30, 2018 9:25 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 9:22 am
Do you have a Best Buy close? All of your requirements should be met. It is quite amazing how much TV you can get for under $300. The Best Buy "Insignia" brand offers a good/low cost option.
+1. A Vizio 39-inch is $200. Sam's Club and Costco also have good prices.

Jazzysoon

Post by Jazzysoon » Wed May 30, 2018 9:36 am

I'd recommend a ROKU Smart TV, if she already is using Roku. I have a tv with the separate ROKU streaming box and find it does not work as well as my other 2 ROKU Smart TV's (sometimes my Roku streaming box remote pairing gets lost and needs to be reset).

I'd also find out what she likes to watch if she watches/uses - ACORN TV(great British/Australian tv shows), it no longer works very well on my $2000 Samsung Smart TV (why I got the sep ROKU box). I only buy ROKU TV's for now.

Target has a TCL Roku 40" for $229 (if you have Redcard get additional 5% off)
https://www.target.com/p/tcl-40-1080p-1 ... A-50480455

bestplans

Post by bestplans » Wed May 30, 2018 10:17 am

Thanks all for the replies thus far. Yes there is a Best Buy very close. Not a Costco member (though there is one not far away). Cable provider is Cablevision/Optimum in Monmouth County, NJ (she's not very happy with their service or pricing - $180 per mo. for phone/internet/cable) but she's not a candidate for cord cutting. Was hoping to place an order online and just pick it up but perhaps the point about actually going to the store and examining the remote first is a good one. I'm not sure about the human factors analysis that goes into how remotes are designed, but in terms of making them senior friendly I think there is much room for improvement.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Wed May 30, 2018 10:25 am

bestplans wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:17 am
Was hoping to place an order online and just pick it up but perhaps the point about actually going to the store and examining the remote first is a good one. I'm not sure about the human factors analysis that goes into how remotes are designed, but in terms of making them senior friendly I think there is much room for improvement.
She doesn't have to use the remote that comes with the television, especially if she is simply turning it on and off, changing channels, and changing the volume.

https://www.amazon.com/Flipper-Button-U ... B002GR1YZ0

bestplans

Post by bestplans » Wed May 30, 2018 10:39 am

That's a great point (making the extra investment in a senior friendly Universal remote - though too bad this is extra $$). Could these be used for the "Smart" applications as well (Netflix with the Roku interface, etc.)?

david

Post by david » Wed May 30, 2018 10:41 am

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hisense-49-C ... /166752596

$220, 49 inches seems like it meets her needs. I can't speak to display quality.

bestplans

Post by bestplans » Wed May 30, 2018 12:41 pm

Very interesting on the Hisense; I'm looking at it and seeing mixed reviews, but no doubt regarding the favorable price:screen size ratio. Thanks.

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed May 30, 2018 1:30 pm

Walmart
Samsung or
Vizio

:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed May 30, 2018 1:50 pm

A few coments;

1) Be sure to check the cable box, if it is a real old one it may not have an HDMI output. She may also not be getting an HD signal from the cable company so she may need to get a different cable box. At the price she is paying she should not have to pay more for HD. The remote for the cable box is likely programmable for the new TV

2) My wife wears hearing aids and has trouble following some of the dialog, especially on British TV shows. Having these headphones really helps.

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-RS120 ... headphones

3) You will need a number of HDMI cables but they are way overpriced, or an outright ripoff, at most stores. We have had good luck with inexpensive cables from Monoprice. Buy a few extra.

https://www.monoprice.com/category?c_id=102&cp_id=10240

4) Getting a TV with built in ROKU or Netflix would make it a lot easier to use.

5) The speakers on new TV's are pretty much a joke and good for little more than testing to make sure the sound works since the speakers are so tiny. You can get a basic sound bar for less than $100.

I don't have a specific model recommendation since mine are a few years old but I have a Vizio TV and also Vizio sound bar. Having the same brand seems to make getting the remotes to work together easier than mixing brands. You can try the TV speakers then add the soundbar later if the sound is not adequate.

6) If the TV and soundbar will be on a table top then you may need to raise the TV up a few inches so that the sound bar will fit below the TV. Mine is on a white cabinet so I just got several boards that I nailed together so they are about three inches think, I wrapped this with white contact paper so it would match the TV. That might sound vaguely tacky but it actually looks OK since it just looks like a white box.

Her old TV stand may not work well with a large flat screen TV.
bestplans wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 9:05 am
Able to accommodate cable (i.e., a tuner interface) and with at least 2 HDMI ports (she uses a DVD player)
- Doesn't need a Smart TV (she has a Roku),
7) Look at all the connections she will need. With cable, dvd player, and Roku she will need at least three inputs. If it is an older DVD play it may not have a HDMI out and it may use component output so make sure that the TV has a compatible input.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Wed May 30, 2018 1:55 pm

You should easily be able to buy an LG or Samsung 40" smart TV for that price.

LG and Samsung are the leaders in TV technology. Make sure she's got the correct HDMI cable set up. You can buy a $6 HMDI cable on Amazon for her. These should already have Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime Video on them, so if she has accounts for those, just need to help her log in and show her which buttons to push to get there.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed May 30, 2018 2:05 pm

We rented a VRBO with 40" TVs. They were so small we couldn't read any of the text or words or count fingers on hands of people. For someone 93 years old I expect their eye sight is not as good as ours. I recommend going with anything larger than 65" for this age group. I'm serious about this.

Maybe a rule of thumb is that TV size in inches has to be greater than one's age in years.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Wed May 30, 2018 3:53 pm

Glockenspiel wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 1:55 pm
You should easily be able to buy an LG or Samsung 40" smart TV for that price.

LG and Samsung are the leaders in TV technology. Make sure she's got the correct HDMI cable set up. You can buy a $6 HMDI cable on Amazon for her. These should already have Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime Video on them, so if she has accounts for those, just need to help her log in and show her which buttons to push to get there.
I'm about 30+ years behind your target tv customer :D but shamefully tech illiterate. Bought an LG smart tv last year and really love it, it's incredibly easy to use since all you need to do is press the home button and a set of ID bars appears on the screen (Amazon/Hulu/Netflix/HTMI). Scroll over, press the button and you're all set. Picture is crystal clear too.

And here's one for sale in your target price range at Best Buy this week with a picture of the screen engaged:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-43-clas ... lsrc=aw.ds

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Wed May 30, 2018 4:00 pm

Watty wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 1:50 pm

4) Getting a TV with built in ROKU or Netflix would make it a lot easier to use.
never something I'd do personally. If that component fails or breaks, you're stuck w/ it built into the TV whereas a separate box (of any kind) plugged in via port can very easily be upgraded/replaced at failure time and time again while using the same TV.

YMMV

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Wed May 30, 2018 4:06 pm

My mil used a Samsung smart TV that had voice activated features, changing channels and easy to change to Roku, Netflix etc. Perfect for the tech and remote control challenged!
Last edited by bob60014 on Wed May 30, 2018 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JPH

Post by JPH » Wed May 30, 2018 4:16 pm

Do pay attention to the audio quality. The speakers that come in some of the thin TVs are inferior. Some have the speakers on the front, which I think is better. Or you can add external speakers.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

cashmoney

Post by cashmoney » Wed May 30, 2018 4:22 pm

bestplans wrote:
Time to replace her old tube TV. Would appreciate any recommendations (before I, a below average tech savvy person, scours the Best Buy reviews)

Requirements:
- Budget <$300
- Able to accommodate cable (i.e., a tuner interface) and with at least 2 HDMI ports (she uses a DVD player)
- Doesn't need a Smart TV (she has a Roku), but if it is one that might be a bonus if it meets the above requirements (she uses the Roku sparingly for Netflix but I think it's because she doesn't find it very intuitive because of the remote)

You can now access Netflix on Comcast Xfinity - I am sure other cable providers do this as well.The nice thing with Xfinity is you can access Netflix with the voice command.This has made a big difference for my 87 yr old vision impaired mother.Of course Amazon Fire TV and Roku devices have voice command and have a much better interface with Netflix than built in apps on Tv or what Comcast offers but for non tech savvy older people like my 87 year old mother the less devices the better.

If she watches alot of regular TV shows then consider Sony TVs that do a good job of up-scaling 480 content to 1080p

bestplans

Post by bestplans » Wed May 30, 2018 7:41 pm

Thanks for all the great advice, links, and considerations. I now feel much better armed to educationally shop.

The comment about the new TV possibly not fitting her current stand is absolutely true (it will be too wide), and the following looks like a solution.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0 ... STWCK1O3NR

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Thu May 31, 2018 8:42 am

Alexa9 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 9:20 am
LG and Samsung are great. Most new TV's are fairly smart although not as smart as your Roku.

LG 43" 4K $300 https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage ... &keys=keys
+1
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu May 31, 2018 8:58 am

As to ease of use, at least with Comcast/Xfinity THEIR remote takes the place of the TV remote. Even if you use the TV remote to power on/off (no reason after you setup the Comcast remote), the Comcast remote does all the channel changing. Even can be setup to do the DVR switching...

Using a Citi credit card adds 2 years to the warranty. Buying from Costco gives a 2 year warranty, PLUS 2 more years with the Costco Citi card (or any other Citi card.

psteinx

Post by psteinx » Thu May 31, 2018 10:57 am

For a 93 year old woman coming off a tube TV, the thing to value most, IMO, is simplicity.

Sound bar? Bwahahahahahahaha!!!!! One more gadget to fuss with. I doubt she will care that much if she can't get the bass to boom in the latest sci-fi epic.

Get a sufficiently large TV, with a good remote (yes, 3rd party remotes are available, but the buttons may correspond poorly to what's on her TV). Strongly consider a TV that integrates whatever over-the-top services she cares about (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc) natively into the TV and the remote.

Don't worry too much about a "clear picture" - basically anything these days should be really clear, especially coming in comparison to a tube TV.

Consider wall-mounting with a bracket that has good up/down and side to side adjustments.

If she's using cable, then there will almost certainly be added complication (a cable box, a separate remote, fussing with "input" buttons and the like). Frankly, an antenna-based setup would likely be easier - could probably get everything working off a single remote. But if cable is involved, so be it. Cable may include on-demand programming, that she may be unfamiliar with, but might be very useful in finding shows and movies (especially older ones) that appeal to her.

Try to make everything work cleanly and simply. Consider creating a few "cheat sheets" listing the steps needed for any semi-complex actions (switching input source, etc) and perhaps a list of key channels on the back.

RustyShackleford

Post by RustyShackleford » Thu May 31, 2018 12:28 pm

I would avoid Sony Bravia TV (or any that use Android). The picture is stunning, but I've spent hours hassling with the settings and such. There's a 400+ page owners' thread at avsforums of just people trying to figure their TVs out.

I like Android phones, but the implementation on the TVs is a steaming pile of fecal material.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Thu May 31, 2018 12:35 pm

livesoft wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 2:05 pm
We rented a VRBO with 40" TVs. They were so small we couldn't read any of the text or words or count fingers on hands of people. For someone 93 years old I expect their eye sight is not as good as ours. I recommend going with anything larger than 65" for this age group. I'm serious about this.

Maybe a rule of thumb is that TV size in inches has to be greater than one's age in years.
+1

For $400 you could probably get a 55 inch TV.

I recommend Netflix built in. I have it on a Vizio TV and it's very intuitve. My 3 year old can turn it on. You just press the Netflix button. On the other hand, I find MILs Roku a royall pain to use.

Get a separate center speaker. But crutchfield open-box speakers to save a bundle.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Thu May 31, 2018 1:57 pm

bestplans wrote:

Requirements:
- Budget <$300
IMO, coming from a tube TV, ANYTHING is an upgrade. Start with a $100 32" set [ https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-3 ... /5747454.p or "splurge" on a $150 39" https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-3 ... Id=6160800
] Then see if she needs more. Or when it breaks, just get a new one.
Gone are the days when TV's had to last 10 years and cost a month's salary (well, you can spend that much if you get 70" OLED). But for about a days work, you can get a new (smaller) TV every year.

You might spend more on furniture to set the TV on top of, or you can just wall mount it if there's a good place.

What's the smallest TV in your house, and would that work? Then you get to upgrade one of yours!

You didn't mention room size, sitting distance, need for eyeglasses, etc. to figure out if she "needs" 30" or 70" set.

DVD doesn't need 1080p/4k. What does her cable box output? (mine is 1080i :shock: and they don't have better) And some stations aren't available in HD!

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu May 31, 2018 2:34 pm

One other thing has not been mentioned. That is that large TV's can be sort of unstable if you just put them on a TV stand. When there are kids around there is a risk they could be tipped over and fall on a kid, but people of any age can accidentally slip and knock them over.

It will vary a bit by the model but there are straps and fasteners that you can use to help secure the TV.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Thu May 31, 2018 3:30 pm

DW was recently in a similar situation with her 90 y/o mother who has macular degeneration. Her requirements, in order, were:

The largest screen feasible (in part due to the macular degeneration).
Decent built-in speakers--not the tiny, tinny-sounding ones in some sets.
Easy to operate remote-control with large buttons.

If OP's viewer can deal with Roku, etc, she is far more advanced than my MIL. If she is able to deal with a more complex remote, she is more willing to learn than my MIL.

Sorry that I am unable to make any specific recommendations as DW located an unused set in a relative's home that fit the bill. My main advice to OP is not to overthink the details. Take care of the most important things in the viewer's situation and not worry about the "niceties."

RustyShackleford

Post by RustyShackleford » Thu May 31, 2018 6:35 pm

Watty wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 2:34 pm
It will vary a bit by the model but there are straps and fasteners that you can use to help secure the TV.
Or mount it on the wall, which also makes it a lot harder for the casual burglar to steal.