New roof - does this ridge vent look right?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Triple digit golfer

New roof - does this ridge vent look right?

Post by Triple digit golfer »

Hi all. I had a new roof put on my house last month and I have some major concerns on the ridge vent. I know very little about roofing and less about ridge vents, but it does not look right to me. I would think, but am not sure, that the vent would be flush with the roof all the way across and now bowed. I expressed my concerns and had the roofing company come out two different times to take a look and both times they said it is properly installed. However, I have my doubts. I just don't see why each piece would be bowed.

What do you all think?

lthenderson

Re: New roof - does this ridge vent look right?

Post by lthenderson »

I'm not familiar with that type of ridge roof venting but it looks to me as if someone stepped on it. It may still function correctly and may have been installed right but it certainly looks ugly. I would probably threaten to file a claim with the state Better Business Bureau if they didn't make it look better.
Topic Author
Triple digit golfer

lthenderson wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 12:15 pm I'm not familiar with that type of ridge roof venting but it looks to me as if someone stepped on it. It may still function correctly and may have been installed right but it certainly looks ugly. I would probably threaten to file a claim with the state Better Business Bureau if they didn't make it look better.
It looks like that all the way across. They are I believe 4 foot pieces, and all of them bow, all the way across the roof.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 12:16 pm . . . all of them bow, all the way across the roof.
I wonder what it will look like in a few years.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 12:16 pm
lthenderson wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 12:15 pm I'm not familiar with that type of ridge roof venting but it looks to me as if someone stepped on it. It may still function correctly and may have been installed right but it certainly looks ugly. I would probably threaten to file a claim with the state Better Business Bureau if they didn't make it look better.
It looks like that all the way across. They are I believe 4 foot pieces, and all of them bow, all the way across the roof.
Just guessing here, but since they were in 4 feet pieces, they were probably meant to begin and end on standard 16" standard spacing intervals and whomever installed them left the ends in the middle of a joist bay. When they applied the fasteners, they bowed down. Have you looked at the installation directions from the manufacturer to see what it recommends?
mrc

Post by mrc »

I'm not a fan of what appear to be exposed (unsealed) staples either. The low spots may collect water and leak. Should look more like this.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

I would not be happy with that at all.
As a builder, contractor, homeowner, or carpenter.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I have seen lots of ridge vents and have never ever seen a bowed one or one that wasn't straight.

I think the contractor is pulling your leg or lying to you.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Sandtrap wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 12:24 pm I would not be happy with that at all.
As a builder, contractor, homeowner, or carpenter.
j :D
Agree and I will say that again. Never have I seen a ridge vent that looks like that. Trashy.

Keep these photos and copies of all communications with the company in case you have to see your lawyer.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Mjar

Post by Mjar »

no that does not look right. it should be parallel to the ridge all the way and flat not bowed
Topic Author
Triple digit golfer

You've all confirmed what I knew already.

This should be fun. They've already inspected it and say it is right. They say it will not leak and that if it hasn't leaked with our spring rains, then I'm fine.

But it's not even straight! Why is this even a debate? Oh yeah. $$$$$
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

It should look perfectly even the entire length of the ridge.
Like this:
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 12:38 pm You've all confirmed what I knew already.

This should be fun. They've already inspected it and say it is right. They say it will not leak and that if it hasn't leaked with our spring rains, then I'm fine.

But it's not even straight! Why is this even a debate? Oh yeah. $$$$$
Ask them to put in writing that the work is right...not verbal.. They know that it is not.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
bradpevans

Post by bradpevans »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 11:57 am Hi all. I had a new roof put on my house last month and I have some major concerns on the ridge vent. I know very little about roofing and less about ridge vents, but it does not look right to me. I would think, but am not sure, that the vent would be flush with the roof all the way across and now bowed. I expressed my concerns and had the roofing company come out two different times to take a look and both times they said it is properly installed. However, I have my doubts. I just don't see why each piece would be bowed.

What do you all think?

Did the job include a permit / inspection?

They did NOT do a good job on yours. just google "ridge vent" and go to images.
The point is to take the heat from between the inside ceiling and the outside
shingles and "vent" it outside.

Based on the 'install', i would also wonder did they cut out a "vent" in the plywood sheets/osb sheets that are under the shingles..

Note how long this ridge vent piece is, and where the nails go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYOfC5o4zeM

One can *buy* ridge vent shingles, but many roofers take the 3-tab shingles and do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umskAykgVak
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Was this a roof over existing or a full removal of the roof to underlayment? I 'm seeing bowing /waves across the rafters too.
Topic Author
Triple digit golfer

To answer a couple questions:

Yes, they did cut out a vent in the plywood sheets. I can see it from the attic, a few inches on each side of the peak.

The job included a permit.

This was a full tear down roof to the underlayment.

UPDATE:

I just spoke with the owner of the company. He said it "looks like crap" but assured me that it would not leak from rain, but admitted that it probably would once winter comes around. He's going to have them come back out within a week and correct it. I told him I need it to be straight across and no spaces where I can fit my hand underneath, and he agreed that is how it should look.

We've had a very rainy spring and I have no leaks in my house. My attic is not one that I could easily or safely walk around in, but should I make an attempt to go up there and inspect for any water? It hasn't rained in 6 days though, so I bet everything would be dried out by then anyway.
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 1:17 pm To answer a couple questions:

Yes, they did cut out a vent in the plywood sheets. I can see it from the attic, a few inches on each side of the peak.

UPDATE:

I just spoke with the owner of the company. He said it "looks like crap" but assured me that it would not leak from rain, but admitted that it probably would once winter comes around. He's going to have them come back out within a week and correct it. I told him I need it to be straight across and no spaces where I can fit my hand underneath, and he agreed that is how it should look.

We've had a very rainy spring and I have no leaks in my house. My attic is not one that I could easily or safely walk around in, but should I make an attempt to go up there and inspect for any water? It hasn't rained in 6 days though, so I bet everything would be dried out by then anyway.
I hope you recorded that conversation...otherwise theres no proof he ever said that. Like others said...get it in writing. Or at the very least I hope you didnt pay the full amount. Usually they charge an initial fee + materials...then the rest upon completion.
Church Lady

Post by Church Lady »

My attic is not one that I could easily or safely walk around in, but should I make an attempt to go up there and inspect for any water?
You can hire a home inspector to go up there and look around. If he finds water damage, have him take photos for you. He will give you a written report. That way, you have independent verification that the attic was damaged by the installation.

I am glad the owner of the company sees things your way.
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 1:17 pm To answer a couple questions:

UPDATE:

Sent you a PM about a somewhat similar experience with a roof.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Topic Author
Triple digit golfer

I am considering having an inspection done after they "correct" the ridge vent. Would you all recommend another roofing contractor or a general home inspector?
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

No, I see exposed nails. Do not pay them for that work.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
Topic Author
Triple digit golfer

rustymutt wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 2:51 pm No, I see exposed nails. Do not pay them for that work.
I don't see the nails. Where do you see them?
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 1:42 pm I am considering having an inspection done after they "correct" the ridge vent. Would you all recommend another roofing contractor or a general home inspector?
Most places in the US you are supposed to get a permit which then involves the county inspector coming around a couple times. No inspector would pass that. Did you skip the permit part?
Topic Author
Triple digit golfer

hicabob wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 4:50 pm
Triple digit golfer wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 1:42 pm I am considering having an inspection done after they "correct" the ridge vent. Would you all recommend another roofing contractor or a general home inspector?
Most places in the US you are supposed to get a permit which then involves the county inspector coming around a couple times. No inspector would pass that. Did you skip the permit part?
The contractor secured the permit from the city, but there was no inspector.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:01 pm
That's strange. I always assumed that inspection was one of the main points of a permit to ensure code is followed.
MP123

Post by MP123 »

You might call the building dept. at the city/county that issued the permit. One of the purposes of getting a permit is to protect you as the homeowner from getting a job like the one you got.

Some places you can check the permit status online. Was it actually issued or did the contractor just charge you for it?
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

MP123 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:15 pm
You might call the building dept. at the city/county that issued the permit. One of the purposes of getting a permit is to protect you as the homeowner from getting a job like the one you got.

Some places you can check the permit status online. Was it actually issued or did the contractor just charge you for it?
If this was "just completed", perhaps the contractor didn't notify the building department that the work was completed and ready for inspection?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

duplicate post
Last edited by jabberwockOG on Tue May 29, 2018 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

jabberwockOG wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:26 pm
First verify that a permit was obtained for this job, and then call the zoning and permit department in your town and request a roof inspection be performed or request to talk to the inspector if it was inspected to ask about the roof ridge vent.

I personally would think that the roof vent install like that would not not pass inspection but I'm not a pro.

If a permit was not obtained I'd be careful about calling the town zoning department as they may make you remove the roof and start over if it was installed improperly.
Topic Author
Triple digit golfer

I checked with the city. No inspection required for residential or commercial re-roofing.
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

This looks like a GAF Snow Country ridge vent, that is a bit thicker than the normal height ridge vents used by many roofing companies.

Example: https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.AAsd ... =453&h=164

Our development had most roofs replaced less than 10 years ago, due to damage done by a local hail event.

Most folks selected the standard ridge vent; I went for the Snow Country ridge vent - not because we get a lot of snow (we're in the mid-Atlantic), but I looked at it as a bit more protection for the "what if" snow accumulation would occur.

While our vent is not as drastically imperfect as the OP's, it does show a bit of undulation when compared to other standard ridge vents in the neighborhood due to it's height when compared to the "standard" vent.

It looks as if the higher vent was installed and a (heavy :mrgreen: ) employee walked on it after installation.

- Ron
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

I’m not at all an expert but have had 2 roofs in last 8 years due to hail damage. Lot of people in neighborhood did ridge vents. Having had rats in the attic years ago I want as few entry points as possible and it seems like these would be more prone to moisture in very wet and windy whether and perhaps not as secure in very high winds. Roofer was going to do ridge vents but I told him no. Keep attic fans and turtle
Vents.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

I've only seen them from street level, but every one I've ever seen is straight across. Not bent like that.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
bigdav160

Post by bigdav160 »

I've installed several roofs myself (rent houses) with ridge vents.

While unsightly, I do not see any reason for the vent not to function properly.
It appears the fasteners were overdriven. I would think it an easy fix for the roofer. I am not sure why they would not address it.

On second look of the pictures it might be the vents (thin plastic) were deformed when installed. In that case the heat from the sum might flatten them some. It still looks like sloppy work.
Topic Author
Triple digit golfer

bigdav160 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 8:07 am I've installed several roofs myself (rent houses) with ridge vents.

It appears the fasteners were overdriven. I would think it an easy fix for the roofer. I am not sure why they would not address it.

On second look of the pictures it might be the vents (thin plastic) were deformed when installed. In that case the heat from the sum might flatten them some. It still looks like sloppy work.
Thank you. Wouldn't water and/or other debris get underneath the plastic vents that are bowed?
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:45 pm
bigdav160 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 8:07 am I've installed several roofs myself (rent houses) with ridge vents.

Thank you. Wouldn't water and/or other debris get underneath the plastic vents that are bowed?
No fasteners of any kind should ever "very rarely"be seen. Very sloppy work.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

No roof ridge vent should ever look like that. Here in my town in the Northeast every house seems to have ridge vents, and I have never seen such a thing like in OP's picture.
Teague

Post by Teague »

Maybe they got those vents from one of the big-box home improvement stores. Made to fit with their warped lumber and curved drywall. :)
Semper Augustus
silverlitegs

Post by silverlitegs »

Church Lady wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 1:26 pm
My attic is not one that I could easily or safely walk around in, but should I make an attempt to go up there and inspect for any water?
You can hire a home inspector to go up there and look around. If he finds water damage, have him take photos for you. He will give you a written report. That way, you have independent verification that the attic was damaged by the installation.

I am glad the owner of the company sees things your way.
YOU DO NOT want a home inspector. You want to find another reputable roofing company to inspect the install and write a reportl. Shouldnt cost more than $150 or so.
2comma

Post by 2comma »

I just installed one last week. Mine was a GAF Cobra Rigid Vent 3, looks like the one pictured in SandTrap's pic with the vent sticks out about 1/2" beyond the ridge shingle. It looks like over nailing which they warn you against in the installation instructions. The rigid vents are all the rage but I found it was a little "fiddly" to install correctly and easy to get it to deform (but mine install looks a lot better than yours). You might also want to check how wide the slot is they cut in your ridge line sheathing before they do the reinstall (if it's too wide they are more prone to leaking).

I'd check for leaks after a hard blowing rain. That's how I found out the goofs had forgotten to put any sealant around the pipes penetrating my new roof.
If I am stupid I will pay.
sergeant

Post by sergeant »

Garage Journal has many professional roofers and contractors that can give you excellent information. I'm not either but can tell you that roof job looks terrible.
For the ashes of his fathers, And the temples of his gods. | Pensions= 2X yearly expenses. Portfolio= 40X yearly expenses.