ice maker

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
MP173

ice maker

Post by MP173 » Tue May 29, 2018 7:41 am

It is a running joke in our family that the ice maker on our Bosch refrigerator only works on holidays. Otherwise...nothing.

It happened again over the weekend as the ice maker started up again on Saturday/Sunday but now isnt working. It did this also on Christmas and Easter holidays.

Any idea what needs to be done for the ice maker to work all the time?

Seriously...it only works sporatically and seems to be on or near holidays.

Ed

bob60014

Re: ice maker

Post by bob60014 » Tue May 29, 2018 7:48 am

Take a look at this list for a start.
https://www.repairclinic.com/RepairHelp ... ot-working

A440

Post by A440 » Tue May 29, 2018 9:15 am

bob60014 wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 7:48 am
Take a look at this list for a start.
https://www.repairclinic.com/RepairHelp ... ot-working
+1

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue May 29, 2018 11:09 am

My ice maker sporadically stops working. When that happens, I take a hair dryer and thaw and de-ice everything thoroughly and it starts working again and will go for a year or so before it stops again. Once when I think I waited to long to do that, it burnt up the rotating motor but I was able to buy a new old stock one off of ebay and swap it out. It has been running now for a couple years since I did that.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Tue May 29, 2018 3:26 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 11:09 am
My ice maker sporadically stops working. When that happens, I take a hair dryer and thaw and de-ice everything thoroughly and it starts working again and will go for a year or so before it stops again. Once when I think I waited to long to do that, it burnt up the rotating motor but I was able to buy a new old stock one off of ebay and swap it out. It has been running now for a couple years since I did that.
Mine iced up regularly, sometimes frequently, other times goes on for a while. It's a door unit mounted inside the refrigerator, and I discovered that when family members left the door open for long periods of time, it melted water in the ice maker. After said family members were scolded, the frequency of these mishaps has reduced. In my case, it's partly poor design and partly user error.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Tue May 29, 2018 3:31 pm

My Bosch ice maker seems to stop working 2 or 3 times a year. I simply "reboot" it (shut it off and turn it back on) by holding down the button inside the ice maker until it is off. Then pressing the button again to turn it back on. Once I did have to do this multiple times but it usually works on the first try.