How To Store Blue Rhino Tanks Safely

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Leesbro63

How To Store Blue Rhino Tanks Safely

Post by Leesbro63 » Mon May 28, 2018 8:38 pm

How do you safely store Blue Rhino type propane tanks? It seems to me that you need to always have 1 backup tank in case your steak isn't done before the tank is. Yet I don't love the idea of having to store a tank. So what are the do's and don'ts ?

runner3081

Re: How To Store Blue Rhino Tanks Safely

Post by runner3081 » Mon May 28, 2018 8:43 pm

I keep it in the corner of my backyard.

bdavidson

Post by bdavidson » Mon May 28, 2018 8:51 pm

I went right to the rhino’s mouth:

https://www.bluerhino.com/propane-info/ ... orage-faqs

Now excuse me, I have to get my extra tank out of my garage.

ThePrince

Post by ThePrince » Mon May 28, 2018 8:54 pm

bdavidson wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 8:51 pm
I went right to the rhino’s mouth:

https://www.bluerhino.com/propane-info/ ... orage-faqs

Now excuse me, I have to get my extra tank out of my garage.
LOL.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Mon May 28, 2018 9:12 pm

Mine is in the garage. To go from our garage to our backdoor you have to walk outside. I'm not worried about it leaking or blowing up.

sport

Post by sport » Mon May 28, 2018 9:40 pm

I had a natural gas line run to my grill. The savings on tank refills has paid for the gas line, plus I don't have the inconvenience or effort involved with changing tanks. Of course, tank storage is a non-event. If you have NG available, I highly recommend it.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Mon May 28, 2018 10:13 pm

You can store Blue Rhino tanks in the same manner as you would store ANY 20 pound propane tank. There is nothing extra dangerous about the Blue Rhino label, except your wallet may be damaged by paying more for propane than you would to just fill your tank at Costco or a propane store.

Don't store in your home, or anything attached to your home. Don't store it where a fire from it can set something on fire that you care about. Don't store where it will get excessively hot. If the tank gets really hot, a safety valve will vent propane to prevent the tank from exploding catastrophically. The vented propane could easily explode/burn, which is why you don't keep it in your house. Also, don't keep an extra tank under the grill, where it can also get hot (but not be connected to the grill to dump excess gas safely into your already burning flame, like the tank in use is).

Natural gas lines in lieu of propane tanks are handy, however the reason why many folks use propane is because there is no natural gas available. Also consider the safety of a natural gas line. When Hurricane Sandy damaged houses, many burned because the broken grill natural gas line caught on fire.
Last edited by criticalmass on Tue May 29, 2018 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave » Tue May 29, 2018 12:09 am

Any place outdoors is fine. Out of the sun is best, but the tanks are white to limit solar heating if shade is not available. Propane is heavier than air, so don't put the tank in a low spot where small leaks can accumulate.

We live in the country, where people have a lot more uses for propane. I probably have 10 or 12 tanks on the property. We take 6 or 8 to heat the camping trailer for 2 weeks with us every deer season. Never had a problem with any of them.

It is significantly less expensive to take the tank to any propane refill station and get it refilled than to trade it in. They will refill Blue Rhino tanks just like any other kind. If the tank gets too old to be refilled (10 years in my state), then is when you trade it in on a new full one with a good date. The only other reason to trade one in instead of refilling is if the tank gets too rusty. The dark color absorbs more solar energy and can cause higher pressure in the tank.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Tue May 29, 2018 12:22 am

criticalmass wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 10:13 pm
. Also consider the safety of a natural gas line. When Hurricane Sandy damaged houses, many burned because the broken grill natural gas line caught on fire.
Any reason why the grill line caused a fire and not the line going to kitchen, dryer or water heater didn't?

sport

Post by sport » Tue May 29, 2018 1:06 am

unclescrooge wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 12:22 am
criticalmass wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 10:13 pm
. Also consider the safety of a natural gas line. When Hurricane Sandy damaged houses, many burned because the broken grill natural gas line caught on fire.
Any reason why the grill line caused a fire and not the line going to kitchen, dryer or water heater didn't?
Probably because the grill is outside on a patio or deck while the other appliances are indoors. If the wind blows away the grill, the open line would remain.

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Tue May 29, 2018 1:34 am

Instead of keeping a grill-sized tank of propane to swap out with the original, might a small cylinder of propane work to finish cooking a meal? And are one or two small cylinders safe to store in the house?

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Tue May 29, 2018 7:26 am

I keep my spare tank in a shed that is under shade in the back corner of the yard.

Another tip- get your gas anywhere BUT Blue Rhino . they are overpriced and there has been discussion online that they dont even fully fill the tanks (they put in 15lb, but I believe the tank can take 16 or 17 when its completely empty).

I used to get mine filled at a gas station (flat rate) but recently a Tractor Supply CO. opened in town and now I fill there. TSC charges actual fill volume by the gallon. So now instead of paying $20 and not using it all, I only pay for what I actually burned and its never been more than $10 at TSC prices...

Skiffy

Post by Skiffy » Tue May 29, 2018 8:06 am

We witnessed an incident with a propane tank at MIL’s House. The hose had a leak so when lit the flames shot 4 or 5 feet up into air (on a wooden deck). We thought the tank might explode before gas ran out.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue May 29, 2018 8:50 am

sport wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 9:40 pm
I had a natural gas line run to my grill. The savings on tank refills has paid for the gas line, plus I don't have the inconvenience or effort involved with changing tanks. Of course, tank storage is a non-event. If you have NG available, I highly recommend it.
This. Both of our houses have had an existing NG line for the grill when we moved in, though the previous owner of our current house was such a cheapskate he took the quick disconnect with him. I also helped my dad install a line at both his current house as well as his previous one.

Then a couple of years ago we discovered Kamado Grilling, and now the gas grill only gets used for hotdogs, vegetables, and planking salmon. So even if we weren't on NG, the risk of running out of Propane would be minimal.

That said, we have five 20lb propane tanks that still get used for various things. We store them in a ventilated shed away from the house. When 2 or 3 are empty, we get them refilled at Menards. I only exchange them if they get nasty or out of hydro.

danielrhall

Post by danielrhall » Tue May 29, 2018 8:58 am

jharkin wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 7:26 am
Another tip- get your gas anywhere BUT Blue Rhino . they are overpriced and there has been discussion online that they dont even fully fill the tanks (they put in 15lb, but I believe the tank can take 16 or 17 when its completely empty).

I used to get mine filled at a gas station (flat rate) but recently a Tractor Supply CO. opened in town and now I fill there. TSC charges actual fill volume by the gallon. So now instead of paying $20 and not using it all, I only pay for what I actually burned and its never been more than $10 at TSC prices...
Blue Rhino is, however, a good option for dealing with tanks whose certification has expired. It allows one to a) get rid of a tank without paying a disposal charge ($7.50 at my town's transfer station), and b) not pay a re-certification fee that can be substantially the cost of a new tank. And there are often sales on Blue Rhino tank exchanges.

I then take my BR exchange tank, as you do, to TSC and get it filled for a reasonable price for only the actual amount of propane.

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Tue May 29, 2018 9:47 am

What about the 1 or 2 lb cylinder thing? Will they attach to a standard 20lb tank type gas grill? I’m thinking I’d rather not deal with storing an extra 20 lb tank. Can a 1lb cannister connect to the grill? And can a 1 lb cannister be stored inside?

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Tue May 29, 2018 10:32 am

Leesbro63 wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 9:47 am
What about the 1 or 2 lb cylinder thing? Will they attach to a standard 20lb tank type gas grill? I’m thinking I’d rather not deal with storing an extra 20 lb tank. Can a 1lb cannister connect to the grill? And can a 1 lb cannister be stored inside?
It is advisable to store any gas cylinder in a vented location. That means outdoors or in a vented cabinet (NOT common in houses!). The idea is to prevent accumulation of gas from any leak that might reach an explosive concentration.

Having worked with hazardous gases, the only thing I store inside is the spray-can sized butane cylinder that fills the microtorch. Even that is probably best kept in the garage not a closet.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue May 29, 2018 10:36 am

Leesbro63 wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 8:38 pm
How do you safely store Blue Rhino type propane tanks? It seems to me that you need to always have 1 backup tank in case your steak isn't done before the tank is. Yet I don't love the idea of having to store a tank. So what are the do's and don'ts ?
I never have stored an extra tank. When the grill runs out, I finish cooking the food in the oven/skillet and get the original tank filled up when possible. Certainly not the end of the world.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue May 29, 2018 10:36 am

When we bought our home, the previous owner left a container of propane in the garage. It was old style and didn't fit anything. Then the "new" style at that time became a 2nd old-style and no longer fit anything. These two tanks languished in our garage for more than 10 years. I didn't want to take them to the hazardous waste place nor otherwise pay for their disposal.

Solution: Put out by the curb before trash night. The folks who like to pick up other people's things took them. Not my problem anymore. I should have done it years earlier.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Tue May 29, 2018 10:47 am

Here's another idea (I am the original poster and suggested using a 1 pound cannister as backup, but no one has responded): Get a gauge for the 20 pound tank. They are cheap at Home Depot or Lowe's. When the first tank gets low but not empty, swap to the second (full) tank. Keep the almost-empty tank as the backup. Still storing propane, but not much...less risk. Then when the second tank starts getting low, swap the first tank (or refill) for a full tank, rinse and repeat. Yeah, I like that idea better than keeping a full 20 lb tank outside.

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Tue May 29, 2018 10:50 am

livesoft wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 10:36 am
When we bought our home, the previous owner left a container of propane in the garage. It was old style and didn't fit anything. Then the "new" style at that time became a 2nd old-style and no longer fit anything. These two tanks languished in our garage for more than 10 years. I didn't want to take them to the hazardous waste place nor otherwise pay for their disposal.

Solution: Put out by the curb before trash night. The folks who like to pick up other people's things took them. Not my problem anymore. I should have done it years earlier.
Blue Rhino takes them for recycling. I also took one to a refill station and they swapped it for me. I don't recall if there was a fee.

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Tue May 29, 2018 10:51 am

If you live somewhere where the power can go out for a week you best have a spare tank for cooking and warming water to bath.

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Tue May 29, 2018 10:52 am

Leesbro63 wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 10:47 am
Here's another idea (I am the original poster and suggested using a 1 pound cannister as backup, but no one has responded): Get a gauge for the 20 pound tank. They are cheap at Home Depot or Lowe's. When the first tank gets low but not empty, swap to the second (full) tank. Keep the almost-empty tank as the backup. Still storing propane, but not much...less risk. Then when the second tank starts getting low, swap the first tank (or refill) for a full tank, rinse and repeat. Yeah, I like that idea better than keeping a full 20 lb tank outside.
Ever since I switched to sous vide cooking, I have had no need for backup tanks because my existing one lasts for so long. All I'm doing on the grill is searing, not cooking.

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Tue May 29, 2018 10:57 am

I can barely grill, let alone side vous or voulez vous. Koo koo ka choo.

TierArtz

Post by TierArtz » Tue May 29, 2018 11:04 am

If my BBQ grill was not hooked up to a 120 gallon tank, I'd store a portable/exchangeable propane tank the same way I store my lawn mower gas can - in a trash cart (or can), away from the house in a shady spot between shrubs that gets no afternoon sun. The only downside is a visiting landscaper/worker has assumed "He no want it" since it was in a trash can. We actually, had to retrieve the entire trash can from their truck once, and just my gas can from that of another outfit another time. Now, my kids are old enough to do the work :-)

TeamArgo

Post by TeamArgo » Tue May 29, 2018 11:13 am

Look up "propane adapter" on Amazon, and you will find a brass fitting to use a 16 oz tank in place of a 20 pound tank. They run just over 8 bucks. I have one as an emergency grill backup. It has saved my "bacon" on a couple of occasions. Just enough gas to finish everything off.
"A man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest" -Paul Simon (The Boxer, 1970)

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Tue May 29, 2018 11:26 am

Didn't want to start a new thread. I store my extra propane tank next to my shed, in the shade, a good 50 yards from my house.

But it got me thinking about gas containers - do folks not store those in their garage as well? I always have, on the wall farthest from the entrance to our mudroom, for convenience more than anything. Should I do something different?

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Tue May 29, 2018 12:15 pm

We have a propane smoker and a propane grill. I absolutely hate running out and not having a full tank handy to pop right on. We keep a spare tank in the carport (open on two sides) next to our gasoline for the lawnmowers and a couple of gallons of diesel fuel for burning fallen limbs. If anything blows, at least we will be sure to meet our deductible.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Tue May 29, 2018 12:15 pm

fishmonger wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 11:26 am
Didn't want to start a new thread. I store my extra propane tank next to my shed, in the shade, a good 50 yards from my house.

But it got me thinking about gas containers - do folks not store those in their garage as well? I always have, on the wall farthest from the entrance to our mudroom, for convenience more than anything. Should I do something different?
It's not a best practice, but probably relatively safe if a.) the garage stays relatively cool and the gasoline tank is out of the sun. b.) there are no ignition sources like a water heater pilot light. Gasoline isn't under pressure of course, but when it gets warmed (e.g. by sun or a hot day) it expands, and gas vapors can be released (or build up pressure if it is unvented).

After all, we store our cars full of gasoline/gasoline vapor in the tanks in the garage all the time. The biggest difference is a car has vapor control systems to deal with this, while a jerry can or a lawn mower, etc. does not.

Propane tanks are always sealed and under pressure, but if they need to vent you have big problems inside. Also consider that propane gas is heavier than air and will collect in low places, like garages, basements, etc. until it finds an ignition source.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue May 29, 2018 12:37 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
Just to clarify since you didn't specify what kind of gage:

A propane pressure gage is not useful for measuring the qty in the tank since it is liquid propane. The pressure is only dependent on the tank temperature while you have liquid in the tank and that is true for any 2 phase mixture in a tank (butane, CO2, etc) By the time its gas only and the pressure starts falling, you will have minutes of propane left.

If you want to see how much is left in the tank, you'll want to get a stick on thermal tape type of indicator but even those have mixed reviews. Those work because as the liquid propane boils off into a gas, the temperature of the liquid will drop and the stick on indicators show this difference in temp of outside of the tank.
Last edited by barnaclebob on Tue May 29, 2018 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Tue May 29, 2018 12:40 pm

Then why do HD/Lowe’s have the gauges with the grill stuff with no notice that “this really won’t measure what it says it measures”?

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue May 29, 2018 12:41 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 12:40 pm
Then why do HD/Lowe’s have the gauges with the grill stuff with no notice that “this really won’t measyre what it says it measures”?
Because people buy it. And it does measure what it says it measures, its just that the particular measurement that it provides isn't useful. Take notice of how the most helpful reviews are the bad ones despite the 4 star rating:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Master-Forge-M ... inEALw_wcB

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Tue May 29, 2018 1:53 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 12:37 pm
Leesbro63 wrote:
Just to clarify since you didn't specify what kind of gage:

A propane pressure gage is not useful for measuring the qty in the tank since it is liquid propane. The pressure is only dependent on the tank temperature while you have liquid in the tank and that is true for any 2 phase mixture in a tank (butane, CO2, etc) By the time its gas only and the pressure starts falling, you will have minutes of propane left.

If you want to see how much is left in the tank, you'll want to get a stick on thermal tape type of indicator but even those have mixed reviews. Those work because as the liquid propane boils off into a gas, the temperature of the liquid will drop and the stick on indicators show this difference in temp of outside of the tank.
The RIGHT was to figure out how much is in the tank is to weigh it.

For many installations this will not be practical.

A pressure gauge will tell you- yes there is some liquid propane in the tank. You might run out in one minute or five hours.

Sidney

Post by Sidney » Tue May 29, 2018 2:22 pm

I keep mine right outside my window. If something bad happens I'll
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

2b2

Post by 2b2 » Tue May 29, 2018 2:39 pm

I hereby award Sidney a POINT (perhaps posthumously).

2b2

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Tue May 29, 2018 4:23 pm

2b2 wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 2:39 pm
I hereby award Sidney a POINT (perhaps posthumously).

2b2
+1. Hilarious :D