Peloton spin bike worth the high cost?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Milo953

Peloton spin bike worth the high cost?

Post by Milo953 » Sun May 27, 2018 4:14 pm

I’m considering buying a Peloton spin bike with the monthly subscription for web cast classes. The cost is around $3,000 with all the bells and whistles. If you have the bike, are you enjoying it as much as you thought you would? Regrets?
Thanks,
Laura

PFInterest

Re: Peloton spin bike worth the high cost?

Post by PFInterest » Sun May 27, 2018 4:28 pm

3 doctors I know bought one. That should tell you.
I laugh every time I hear Tim Ferris promote them.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sun May 27, 2018 4:35 pm

You can get a regular spin bike and watch spin classes for free on youtube.

wrendan

Post by wrendan » Sun May 27, 2018 4:37 pm

If you have Comcast for as a TV provider you can access video classes

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sun May 27, 2018 4:50 pm

My friend bought one about 8-months ago. He says it is amazing to ride. However, they are not going to pay the monthly sub fee. He paid $2k on Craigslist for it.

With that said, I asked him about the other day and he said it is now a clothes hanger :)

ParsimoniousFrontier

Post by ParsimoniousFrontier » Sun May 27, 2018 4:52 pm

The wife an I subscribe to the Peleton App and just ride our bikes on the trainers we already have. I think it's like $10-15/mo. You can either join classes live or do on demand workouts anytime. We stream it via our Apple TV to the television. Feels like a regular spin class to me!

Elysium

Post by Elysium » Sun May 27, 2018 5:29 pm

Peleton bike is worth the cost only if you are already paying for a regular spin class elsewhere and instead wish to do it at home. Your cost is probably lower in that case and you don't need to drive to/from a spin class.

Other option for cyclists like myself is a Smart Trainer and the Zwift platform app. I have my older road bike mounted on a Wahoo Kickr connected via ANT+ wireless dongle to Zwift platform. Good for rainy day and winter training. Several courses to chose from and many riders to ride along with. I tried Peleton and did not find it worth it, instead this setup is more closer to a road cycling experience for me. Cost is less than $1000 for trainer and Zwift subscription is $10 p.m.

JFKtoSFO

Post by JFKtoSFO » Sun May 27, 2018 5:59 pm

Elysium wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 5:29 pm
Peleton bike is worth the cost only if you are already paying for a regular spin class elsewhere and instead wish to do it at home. Your cost is probably lower in that case and you don't need to drive to/from a spin class.
This. I was paying for expensive spin classes anyway, so the bike + subscription was a better deal. I miss the camaraderie of the classes, but enjoy that I can work out much earlier in the day than I could if I had to drive to class. If I hadn't spent years trying different workouts and discovering that a stationary cycling class was the cardio that I actually enjoyed and would stick to in the long term, I wouldn't have bothered.

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Sun May 27, 2018 6:02 pm

OP: what other equipment have you used previously?

FWIW, no one can answer the "worth" question but you. Because it's BH, most responders will probably say no, but clearly there are enough people out there who think the cost is worth it, or the company wouldn't make them.

The cost will only be "worth" it to you if the bike/classes offer something you really want that other (cheaper) ones you've used in the past do not.

gold99xx

Post by gold99xx » Sun May 27, 2018 6:30 pm

Your health is PRICELESS....

I goto the NYC peloton studio and ride in the class audience, the instructors are great and the IP is what you are paying for. The bikes are fine not the best or the worst spin bikes, so if you already have an indoor setup, maybe just try the online classes first then if you like it, get the bike.... remember your health is PRICELESS....

strafe

Post by strafe » Sun May 27, 2018 6:33 pm

Look at a road bike + indoor trainer + Zwift as cheaper and IMO more interesting alternative. Or the Concept2 BikeErg + Zwift.

indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Sun May 27, 2018 6:46 pm

3k is 5 years of gym mebership that has both weights and spin class for free.

My mountain bike cost that much and is way more fund then sitting on a bike looking at a screen.

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Sun May 27, 2018 7:14 pm

I realize this is not a direct answer to your question.

I belong to a gym that offers spin classes at no additional charge. I spin 2x per week, occasionally 3x, and do other stuff there as well. We have a great instructor and a group that has a good time together. I would personally find it less appealing to spin alone, even if in a virtual class, than driving the 7 minutes each way to the gym where there is the social factor. (Disclosure: I have never done a virtual class but have spun to videos of classes and like live classes much better.) That said, I understand this could be a great arrangement for many folks.
Friar1610

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sun May 27, 2018 7:24 pm

Have you considered a set of rollers? Great for coordination and balance. And they encourage you to not be bored and daydream because you fall off.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Floyd1000

Post by Floyd1000 » Sun May 27, 2018 7:34 pm

I bought one as a gift for my wife for Christmas this year and after 5 months of ownership I can say it was well worth it for us. We have had no issues with the bike.

My wife loved it as a gift. We have 3 adults in the house who use it, and I would say it is used for 20-40 classes per month.

It was a luxury we could afford. I think the most important question when buying it is not how many times per month you will use it, but rather how many more workouts per months will you get as a result of owning it, and how many more HIGH QUALITY workouts per month will you get for owning it.

In my case, I get a better workout using the peloton than I do going to the gym. That is because the instructors push me more than I can push myself. There is a feature that shows you where you rank relative to everyone else who has taken that class, which further pushes me.

I get at least a few more high quality workouts per month as a result of owning a peloton, and that is the critical factor. As another poster mentioned your health is priceless. We have 3 healthier adults in my house as a result of owning this bike. Also, we have young kids, so it allows for a great workout even when we are home with the kids, saves time driving back and forth to the gym, and you can use it in any weather (unlike say a mountain bike).

montanagirl

Post by montanagirl » Sun May 27, 2018 7:57 pm

I bought a Schwinn dx900 spin bike over 30 years ago and still use it almost daily. I did try a mag trainer back when I was a more active rider, but didn't like the feel.

That said, I do wish the Schwinn had a more realistic narrow saddle. But I can't shell out for the peloton.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Sun May 27, 2018 8:01 pm

I think there are better bikes out there or equal but less expensive if you don't need the classes. (I'd rather watch nature shows or listen to music/audiobooks)
Lifecycle GX and Keiser M3 are the two I was looking at.
Jogging when it's nice out and jumping rope and lifting when it's not is preferable to me right now.
I just can't see spending that kind of money for such a monotonous exercise that I'll probably get tired of.

buckstar

Post by buckstar » Sun May 27, 2018 8:09 pm

Disclaimer - I don't own one, but am thinking about getting one, but have been holding off because of the cost.

I've noticed that on craigslist, there are lots of treadmills, ellipticals, nordictrak's etc..., but I've been looking for 6 weeks and have yet to see a Peleton bike. I'm going to assume that's because people actually use them :D

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Sun May 27, 2018 8:13 pm

I bought a mid range spin bike on Craigslist for $100. The owner paid full retail and used as a clothes hanger.

$3k is a good amount. I would rather ride outside and have a lower price backup spin bike.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

gator15

Post by gator15 » Sun May 27, 2018 9:28 pm

I don’t own one but would likely get one if I didn’t already own a pretty nice bike. We are a family with a lot gym equip in our basement, multiple bikes and gym memberships. Some would call it a waste but we like options and we use all of our stuff.

If you think you will use it, buy it.

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Sun May 27, 2018 9:47 pm

We have a few at my office. I used them when I didn't have time to go to the gym or a spin class, but I preferred going to soul cycle and paying for it, even though i could use the peloton for free at work.

Peloton isn't bad at all, but it didn't energize me anywhere near the way a live spin class does.

Zombies

Post by Zombies » Sun May 27, 2018 10:16 pm

We just bought one this week. I researched it extensively and all my friends who have one said they are still using it months or years later — that’s what sold me.

I have never spun before but value the time aspect (we put it in our room, so I roll out of bed and hop on), and I have done a few beginner classes. I’m enjoying it so far.

shawndoggy

Post by shawndoggy » Sun May 27, 2018 10:57 pm

Rollers|headphones|trainerroad|netflix for me.

And then when it's nice outside I can ride my "exercise bike" to work, the store, the mountains...

Calidude

Post by Calidude » Sun May 27, 2018 11:38 pm

My wife and I love our Peloton. As you can see from the comments it’s not for everyone but it works for us. The integrated metrics and the leaderboard have been great motivators. We have had it about 3 months and have done about 50 rides each.

Make sure you find a friend with one so you and your friend can each get the $100 referral credit.

DWesterb2iz2

Post by DWesterb2iz2 » Mon May 28, 2018 7:44 am

For what it’s worth, there are articles on recreating the Peleton experience on the cheap. Here is one:
https://boingboing.net/2017/04/05/diy-p ... verts.html

Hillview

Post by Hillview » Mon May 28, 2018 8:00 am

my dad used it every day and lost 30 lbs by incorporating it into his diet and exercise routine. He loved the metrics and competition. My mom uses it in the winter time and likes the scenic rides. We got it in 2015. It was money well spent.

bampf

Post by bampf » Mon May 28, 2018 11:41 am

I have one. Had it for about 30 days. I am not usually an evangelist, but, for me it is brilliant.I have already taken a lot of spin classes and they were fun but missing something. First the bike: Solid. Well made. Super silent because the brake is magnetic. Really quiet. Display screen is very good. Bluetooth for my headphones. Dead simple to use. LIve and on demand classes. Very comfortable. Classes are very good, makes you feel like you are in the class. The live instructors interact a bit with the remote participants. The experience is positive. The thing that pushes it over the line for me and takes it from just a basic spin bike to an experience is the metrics. I am pretty competitive so this gives me something to target. I can target my past performance or another rider. I can shoot to be in the top 100 of 4000 riders or I can try and go from average of 22 mph to average of 23 mph. I get the convenience of a local bit of athletic equipment with the experience of a group class and better yet I have metrics. Its a solid win all around and I dont regret the cost one bit. 15 workouts in 30 days. Already seeing a change in my fitness, my strength and my energy. Your mileage may may be different (certainly it will be if you buy it and don't ride it) but I think it is a great purchase.
Last edited by bampf on Tue May 29, 2018 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Runner01

Post by Runner01 » Mon May 28, 2018 12:42 pm

Do you have any interest in road riding as well? I ask because you can get a nice high end alloy or mid level carbon fiber bike and a direct drive trainer (different training programs can automatically change the tension) for $3k total. That way you can ride in the house and also hit the road when you get tired of riding inside.

Balefire

Post by Balefire » Tue May 29, 2018 12:41 am

Happy with my peloton cycle.
Got rid of our gym membership that I never used since I work too much.

I use it if
It's raining outside
It's freezing outside
My legs need a break from running
I feel competitive and just wanna do really well on the leaderboard
I wanna take a live class
My running workout wasn't enough so I get on the bike for a little more

My kids use it too.
Very happy

cbr shadow

Post by cbr shadow » Tue May 29, 2018 5:10 pm

For high-end items like this I always buy secondhand from craigslist. The nice thing is that if you buy it and end up not liking it you can resell it on craigslist for the same as you bought it for. In that case the only thing you "lost" was some time.

galeno

Post by galeno » Tue May 29, 2018 5:25 pm

No. But if you insist. Buy it used.
AA = 40/55/5. Expected CAGR = 3.8%. GSD (5y) = 6.2%. USD inflation (10 y) = 1.8%. AWR = 4.0%. TER = 0.4%. Port Yield = 2.13%. Term = 34 yr. FI Duration = 6.2 yr. Portfolio survival probability = 95%.

radiokurt

Post by radiokurt » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:37 pm

DWesterb2iz2 wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 7:44 am
For what it’s worth, there are articles on recreating the Peleton experience on the cheap. Here is one:
I did this and its great - love the classes and love not having to pay the $2000 for the bike

DWesterb2iz2

Post by DWesterb2iz2 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:04 pm

radiokurt wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:37 pm
DWesterb2iz2 wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 7:44 am
I did this and its great - love the classes and love not having to pay the $2000 for the bike
Great! I’ve been thinking about doing it, that’s how I had the link. Any tips or advice?

radiokurt

Post by radiokurt » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:50 am

-Its a great way to get your 30 minutes of exercise and having it in the house has made me more likely to use it.
-Start with the beginner classes.
-Try a couple of different instructors. Each has their own "flavor" and I like some more than others.

Have fun!

queso

Post by queso » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:03 am

Bought one in January and am pretty happy with it so far. I also ride road and mountain bikes so I already kind of knew that cycling was my go to cardio activity. I had a trainer setup, but I grew bored with it so I wasn't riding much in the winter. Riding indoors with headphones on gets pretty boring when you push distances much beyond an hour and I find I don't ride very hard when watching TV so it was working for me, but probably not optimal. I ditched the trainer and gave my wife's gym a try (Equinox) and their spin classes were fantastic, but it is like commuting twice to have to come home and then fight traffic to and from the gym. I liked some of the other classes and access to the weights, etc. but I found I wasn't using it much since it was too far (driving to and from the gym was about the same length of time as my workout). Bought the Peloton and now I can get a gym quality cycling/spin workout in my basement whenever I want. My usage fluctuates since I do other activities outside in the summer (real cycling, etc.), but I was riding it 4-5 days a week in the winter. I am averaging probably 3 now since it is easier to jump on the Pelton than it is to get geared up and go biking on weekdays. I think the only drawback is cost. I had looked at them before, but swore I'd never buy one until my wife pushed me toward it last winter. I just wasn't getting enough exercise in the winter and her logic was that it's worth the cost if it is something that I would use to improve my health. She was right. :happy

If cycling is your thing and you have tried spin classes and liked them then I think you will like it. I bought the package that came with shoes, etc. but I have a bunch of old cycling shoes so I got them in my wife's size thinking she might like it. I think she's been on it twice and is not a fan. It's just not her thing. It would have been a waste if we had bought it for her. I'd try a couple of spin classes at a local gym or a Peloton app free trial with a bike on a trainer just to make sure you like spin classes before buying one.

Balefire

Post by Balefire » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:13 am

I have it. Bought 4 or 5 months ago. No regrets.
Has a variety of methods for motivation.
At home. No driving.
Live classes at super early and super late hours.
Multiple competitive ways for ranking.
Community.
Music.
Instructors.
In the winter it was used everyday.
In the summer it's used 3x per week
Very happy

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:23 am

YES! I bought one in early April and love it. I have 60+ bike rides in and 40+ floor (core, arms, whole body) classes in. DH rides it too.

Pros
- I love the classes. There are about 9000 in the on-demand library and 5-15 new classes every day. The instructors are great, I have my favorites, DH has his. I love instructurs that are high energy and ride to cadence. The live DJ rides are my absolute favorite. There are also low-impact rides, climb rides, endurance, HIIT, tabata, scenic, beginner, metric...
- I love the bike it'self. It is quiet and compact and sturdy. Almost silent, no squeaks or wobbles, it's a gorgeous piece of equipment.
- Convenience - I ride around 4:30 am everyday. There are not gyms open in my area at that time. I can do anywhere from 10 minute strength classes up to 60 minute rides and any combo in the middle depending on my schedule an energy that day.
- Metric tracking - it's great to see progress

Cons
- the only con is that the bike isn't cheap. Expect year one all-in to cost $3000. $40/month after that.
- I was already a home exerciser so I knew I'd use the equipment. If you aren't sure you will get into a home exercise routine... it's a pretty pricey risk. But you can recoup some on the resale market as they hold their value well for now.

I tried the app (there's a 14 day free trial) on a spin bike at my gym before visiting a showroom. The gym spin bikes are not comparable to the Peloton bikes, I decided to buy the Peloton... but using the app and a gym bike first was a good trial. I also would not consider the Peloton without the monthly app - the classes and instructors are fantastic.

I am a runner and was not overweight to begin with (about 130 lbs) but have lost 7-8 lbs since I bought it and my entire body is much more defined. My abs are visible and shoulders look really good.

I have a referral code that will get anyone who buys one $100 of bike accessories (almost a free pair of clip-in shoes - buy everything else on Amazon) and I would get $100 at the boutique - but honestly buy one if you because they make exercise fun and challenging and you will get results.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:35 am

strafe wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 6:33 pm
Look at a road bike + indoor trainer + Zwift as cheaper and IMO more interesting alternative. Or the Concept2 BikeErg + Zwift.
In my opinion this (less zwift). You can buy a decent road bike for 1-2k. indoor trainer for ~300 and I youtube GCN spin workouts. I generally ride outside in the spring/summer/fall. If I can't ride, I have an extra wheel (junky wheel) that I swap in and out so I don't ruin my tire for outdoors.

queso

Post by queso » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:50 am

Andyrunner wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:35 am
strafe wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 6:33 pm
In my opinion this (less zwift). You can buy a decent road bike for 1-2k. indoor trainer for ~300 and I youtube GCN spin workouts. I generally ride outside in the spring/summer/fall. If I can't ride, I have an extra wheel (junky wheel) that I swap in and out so I don't ruin my tire for outdoors.
+1 on the heavy crappy wheel if you go the trainer route. You will wear flat spots in your good outdoor rear tires if you don't do this. I always ran my old outdoor tires (fronts and rears) as trainer rear tires on my old crappy wheel when I was using the trainer. The front you never have to switch since it just sits in a block all the time.

LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:54 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 4:35 pm
You can get a regular spin bike and watch spin classes for free on youtube.
My buddy is a big rider and he used to do the youtube classes and now does Peloton. He says the Peloton experience blows away the free Youtube classes. Plus, he says the bike is super high quality. I myself have done the youtube classes on the extra spin bikes and it's ok but it's definitely not the same as being in a spin class.

EomerTN

Post by EomerTN » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:14 am

If you like spin classes or think the motivation would help then do it. You cannot underestimate the value of being healthy.

However, if you like outdoor riding, then I would seriously consider a Wahoo Kickr + Zwift + old bike set up for a cheaper alternative. The ability to ride virtual rides and have the trainer automatically adjust the difficulty based on the terrain (or the selected workout) is amazing. (If you have $ to burn you can also get a toy that will adjust the pitch of your bike to match the virtual climbs.) The virtual rides/races/training camps and Strava integration on this set-up is pretty cool and motivating. Although you do not have an instructor motivating you, you do have constant feedback and "competition" to motivate you because of all of the other virtual riders.

I started with spin classes (not Peloton) before going to a Kickr + Zwift, but in reality there is no bad call here -- other than doing nothing ;) They are slightly different experiences, so just do what you think you will most enjoy! Good luck!

queso

Post by queso » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:33 am

I think you hit on the one big, key difference between the two and it likely is only relevant for those of us that are cyclists as well as spin bike users. Cycling and spinning are two completely different things. To get an indoor cycling workout that benefits your outdoor cycling I think something like the setup EomerTN lays out or the Concept2 with Zwift makes a lot more sense. There you have difficulty tied to terrain and also a lot more focus on slow twitch muscles and other stuff that cycling people care about. Spinning uses similar equipment, but if I went out and tried to ride my road bike the way I ride the Peloton I don't think any of my rides would be more than 15-20 miles. :happy

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:38 am

queso wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:33 am
I think you hit on the one big, key difference between the two and it likely is only relevant for those of us that are cyclists as well as spin bike users. Cycling and spinning are two completely different things. To get an indoor cycling workout that benefits your outdoor cycling I think something like the setup EomerTN lays out or the Concept2 with Zwift makes a lot more sense. There you have difficulty tied to terrain and also a lot more focus on slow twitch muscles and other stuff that cycling people care about. Spinning uses similar equipment, but if I went out and tried to ride my road bike the way I ride the Peloton I don't think any of my rides would be more than 15-20 miles. :happy
There are Peloton classes that focus on slow-twitch and road bike endurance. There are also classes for runner training and cross-training.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

queso

Post by queso » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:48 am

bungalow10 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:38 am
queso wrote:
There are Peloton classes that focus on slow-twitch and road bike endurance. There are also classes for runner training and cross-training.
I guess I need to explore the on demand offerings a bit more then. I always do the 80s and 90s classes so I am in a bit of a rut with format and instructor choice based on my music preferences.

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:52 am

queso wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:48 am
bungalow10 wrote:
queso wrote:
I guess I need to explore the on demand offerings a bit more then. I always do the 80s and 90s classes so I am in a bit of a rut with format and instructor choice based on my music preferences.
http://www.mattwilpers.com/peloton

queso

Post by queso » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:58 am

bungalow10 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:52 am
queso wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:48 am
bungalow10 wrote:
queso wrote:
http://www.mattwilpers.com/peloton
I have taken some of Matt's classes, but only the ones where he was playing music I was looking for. Thanks for the tip!

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:01 am

I just use the recumbent stationary bike at the gym.

I don't need/want someone else telling me what to do - as in a spin class; I have a wife.

InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:07 pm

Elysium wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 5:29 pm

Other option for cyclists like myself is a Smart Trainer and the Zwift platform app. I have my older road bike mounted on a Wahoo Kickr connected via ANT+ wireless dongle to Zwift platform. Good for rainy day and winter training. Several courses to chose from and many riders to ride along with. I tried Peleton and did not find it worth it, instead this setup is more closer to a road cycling experience for me. Cost is less than $1000 for trainer and Zwift subscription is $10 p.m.
whole heartedly recommend zwift. I have essentially given up on doing road cycling outside and ride my roadbike exclusively in the basement, attached to a smart trainer.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
buckstar wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 8:09 pm
Disclaimer - I don't own one, but am thinking about getting one, but have been holding off because of the cost.

I've noticed that on craigslist, there are lots of treadmills, ellipticals, nordictrak's etc..., but I've been looking for 6 weeks and have yet to see a Peleton bike. I'm going to assume that's because people actually use them :D
a) give it time, and
b) a subscription to Peloton or Soul Cycles conveys a certain sense of the "good life"

just check out these two twitter handles and see what shows up

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23peloton ... top-search

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23soulcycle&src=typd

-------------------------------------------------------
I'll post here what I posted in an actual cycling forum. A glance at my user name should tell anyone who knows anything about cycling how serious I am about the sport.

Soul/Peloton is better than doing nothing and probably does improve fitness in certain ways, but that's not the real draw behind Soul Cycles or Peloton. It's essentially consumption plated with a patina of health and fitness. Yoga and pilates are a bit passé; but spin class is the new "it" thing to do for the Lululemon crowd.

Granted, as someone who pays for cycling coaching (quite a bit of discretionary line item) and spent ~$5k on three powermeters, I really don't have the sturdiest foundation to stand on re: discretionary line items. But at least I know that I'm improving my health in quantifiable ways and bettering myself in a hobby that I like and enjoy.

Again, I have no doubt that Peloton/Soul would be beneficial (in terms of health and fitness) for at least for some, and if people benefit, then more power to them. But one shouldn't ignore the undertone of the luxury line items. Just like how people were practicing yoga for a few thousand years before posh yoga studios popped up, the draw to such places isn't completely to yoga per se, and a non-trivial component has to do with the implications of being fit while looking posh.

The type of message implied by the Peloton and Soul Cycle set is often look at what a fabulous life I live. When one gets to the social class able to afford these services, one usually learns that direct flaunting of wealth is uncouth. Ergo, out with images of the Fendi bags and Patek watches, in with images of places one have visited (preferably with a few shots of fine dining) and physical activities that conveys poshness (modern take of Wallis Simpsons's "you can never be too rich or too thin"). Both are far away removed from wealth per se to appear palatable, but both are also advertising the "good life" one leads. The nearest Peloton Bike sales location is in Short Hills, NJ. For those who knows the area, this is the place loaded with European designer label boutiques and distinctly conveys an undertone of wealth (and perhaps conspicuous spending). Nothing wrong with it if you can afford it, but it's also important to keep in mind the image they are trying to curate. Take a look at Peloton Cycle's official twitter images: more than half are toned ladies baring midriffs; they are in the business of selling what those images convey, bicycle exercise just happens to be the conveyance to make the sale.

Likelihood that someone finds practicing yoga in a third world setting attractive? Not very high. Likelihood that someone is drawn to practicing yoga with a glossy shoot done in a well-lit post industrial loft, in the company of the lithe and limber? Much higher. Same thing is going on here. YMCA has had spinning classes for decades, but to little fanfare. YMCA is readily accessible to the masses. Contrast that to the likes of Soul Cycles and Peloton...

One should also be cognizant that just because one is sweating, it doesn't mean the workout is beneficial. Sweat is the body using water to remove heat from the body, but it says nothing about cause of the excess heat. This excess heat could be the result of one generating quite a bit of power or could be the result of one doing extremely inefficient things. Both will elevate heart rate, but only in the former is one burning calories.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:14 pm

InvisibleAerobar wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:07 pm

Likelihood that someone finds practicing yoga in a third world setting attractive? Not very high. Likelihood that someone is drawn to practicing yoga with a glossy shoot done in a well-lit post industrial loft, in the company of the lithe and limber? Much higher. Same thing is going on here. YMCA has had spinning classes for decades, but to little fanfare. YMCA is readily accessible to the masses. Contrast that to the likes of Soul Cycles and Peloton...
Agreed with the entire post, but specifically liked this statement. Thought you might enjoy this recently published study http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10. ... 7618764621. One of my employees just wrote a soon-to-be published blog about the findings. Based upon my experience, the findings of that study could not be more true.

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:35 pm

InvisibleAerobar wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:07 pm
Peloton is done in the privacy of your own home, there really isn't an opportunity to show off. And you can say the YMCA is accessible to the masses... but most of the "masses" I know have jobs that prohibit them from doing daytime spin classes (or have kids they need to watch - our park center is $7/hour/kid for childcare), which is primarily what my local Y and community park center offer. The classes are also $15-20/per. I will come out financially ahead with my Peloton just in year 1 if I count all the equipment cost in the first year and don't count DH's usage.

I have a Peloton at home so I can get my workout done. I enjoy it, I don't want anything in the way - no extra time of driving, no schedules. I can do as little or as much as I want (20 min-60min to multiple classes). I don't need a babysitter. I can wear whatever I want.

You can be judgy, but some people will make sacrifices for their health and fitness.