electrical outlet dead; fuse not tripped

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
go_mets

electrical outlet dead; fuse not tripped

Post by go_mets » Sun May 27, 2018 2:09 pm

I have a set of electrical outlets in the basement that is now dead.

None of breakers tripped. That was my first thought.
Both the upper and lower outlet are dead.
t is not GFCI.

I have removed the small light connected to it, and tried a nightlight.
No go.

Other than hiring an electrician, what can I do to troubleshoot?

obgraham

Re: electrical outlet dead; fuse not tripped

Post by obgraham » Sun May 27, 2018 2:17 pm

Likely a loose wire at one of the outlets in the chain.
Or one of them burned through.

I would take my voltmeter to each outlet to track down where the failure begins.

motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Sun May 27, 2018 2:18 pm

We experienced that when we lost an electrical phase between the transformer and the meter. Random outlets weren’t working. Is it only this one?
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.

user5027

Post by user5027 » Sun May 27, 2018 2:20 pm

go_mets wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 2:09 pm

t is not GFCI.
Is it on a circuit downstream from a GFCI outlet? The GFCI outlet may be tripped which will kill the downstream non-GFCI outlets.

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Sun May 27, 2018 2:21 pm

If all the outlets on that circuit are dead, and those outlets are the only thing on that circuit, and none of the outlets are GFCI, then I would suspect the breaker has failed in some way. If you have a volt meter or voltage tester, you could check where the wiring connects to the breaker to verify that there's no voltage. New circuit breakers are not expensive.

However, if there's anything at all on that circuit that is working, then the circuit breaker is OK, and you have a bad connection somewhere.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Sun May 27, 2018 2:23 pm

I've had that happen. I found the issue was a loose wire nut midstream between the breakers and the feed to the outlets. Luckily it wasn't hard to locate and access. Turn the power off before you start poking around!

go_mets

Post by go_mets » Sun May 27, 2018 2:24 pm

obgraham wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 2:17 pm
Likely a loose wire at one of the outlets in the chain.
Or one of them burned through.

I would take my voltmeter to each outlet to track down where the failure begins.
According to a Youtube video I see, these outlets are one in a chain.
And apparently wires are just shoved in. Sigh.

motorcyclesarecool wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 2:18 pm
We experienced that when we lost an electrical phase between the transformer and the meter. Random outlets weren’t working. Is it only this one?
I went though the house and checked almost all the outlets except for the GFCI.

I am not sure which other other outlets are in this chain.
The outlet on the next stud over which is now running the dehumidifer works as does all the other lights in the basement.

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Sun May 27, 2018 2:31 pm

One other that I forgot: happened to me this past year. I had a whole circuit go down. Breaker good. While he was doing some other work, I had an electrician go after it. He spent two hours of my money tracking it down, convinced that it was a wire in the wall somewhere with a nail driven through it during a recent remodel.

It turned out to be a failed GFI which had been installed incorrectly. Check that GFI and make sure it resets properly.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Sun May 27, 2018 2:33 pm

user5027 wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 2:20 pm
go_mets wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 2:09 pm

t is not GFCI.
Is it on a circuit downstream from a GFCI outlet? The GFCI outlet may be tripped which will kill the downstream non-GFCI outlets.
This happened to me. The GFCI outlet was in my garage and I had forgotten it was there when I was trying to track down why none of the outlets in the dining room were working. The dining room is next to the kitchen (which has its own GFCI outlet).

I had called an electrician to schedule an appointment and he asked about the GFCI. I told him I had checked the 2 in the house and he suggested I look for one in the garage. Problem solved without a service call from the electrician. :happy

killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 » Sun May 27, 2018 2:40 pm

Odds are it's loose wire somewhere in the branch circuit. Since you said it's quick wired (wires pushed into the back vs. screwed), odds are even more so. If the basement isn't fully finished, you should be about to trace the Romex from the panel and see where it goes dead. If the basement is finished and you can't - good luck - you'll probably need to open up all of the boxes that are dead and check for bad connections. Or call an electrician.

6miths

Post by 6miths » Sun May 27, 2018 2:59 pm

Don't you have a wiring diagram? lol. Fond memories of generating one with my now passed DD for the two houses I have lived in. Good advice so far. Check everything on the circuit. Search for the forgotten tripped or broken upstream GFCI. If everything on the circuit is dead it's the breaker or wire coming out of breaker. If only that outlet and downstream outlets, pull that outlet and check lines coming into it. If there is electricity - rewire. If there is no electricity coming in then it is the upstream feed that is the problem. This could be a challenge. Hope it is the adjacent outlet. Much easier in an unfinished basement as mentioned. Also as mentioned, always play safe with electricity! Good luck.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Sun May 27, 2018 3:06 pm

There is a device which you can buy at a home store which will tell you what circuit breaker a specific outlet is on. Using this, you can determine if other outlets on the same circuit breaker are working. It probably will not work on the dead outlet, but it should give you an idea of which breaker actually controls that outlet.

Really, I would just call an electrician.

Ralph

go_mets

Post by go_mets » Sun May 27, 2018 3:18 pm

SOLVED.

The outlet is part of a chain of 4 outlets.
Two of the outlets are inside (garage and basement) and the other two are outside.
I vaguely remember the construction supervisor telling me that the basement outlet was part of the chain with the outside outlets.
He didn't tell me the outlet in the garage was part of the chain.

It turns out that the oulet in the garage contained the GFCI for all 4 outlets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QcwuBnoHbg

user5027

Post by user5027 » Sun May 27, 2018 3:21 pm

go_mets wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 3:18 pm
SOLVED.

Two of the outlets are inside (garage and basement) and the other two are outside.
I vaguely remember the construction supervisor telling me that the basement outlet was part of the chain with the outside outlets.

Congratulations! Now splurge on a nice dinner out with the saved electrician's charge!! :beer

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Sun May 27, 2018 3:22 pm

I have a broken wire in an outlet, also in the basement as OP, need to add a short new wire in that box.

runner9

Post by runner9 » Sun May 27, 2018 4:30 pm

go_mets wrote:
SOLVED.

Take some time and make a list of every circuit breaker and what specific lights, outlets, etc. are on that breaker. If it happens again you'll know right away what else to check.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sun May 27, 2018 4:43 pm

go_mets wrote:
SOLVED.

The next question is why the GFCI in the garage was tripped.

Just for reference there is one more thing to try if something like this happens again.

That is to turn the circuit breaker off then back on. It is apparently possible for the circuit breaker to be triggered but not look like it has been switched to the off position.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun May 27, 2018 4:44 pm

It is also possible for the GFCI to break and look like it should be working, but it is not.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

6miths

Post by 6miths » Sun May 27, 2018 6:01 pm

likegarden wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 3:22 pm
I have a broken wire in an outlet, also in the basement as OP, need to add a short new wire in that box.
What do you mean by a 'broken wire'? That doesn't sound like a good thing. There should be enough length in the box to redo an new outlet or rewire to the terminal on the old outlet.

Good work to the OP. As far as a 'device' which you can buy at the home store to tell which circuit a particular outlet is on, we call it a desk lamp or clock radio around here and you probably have one around the house that you can use. A two person job with some shouting or phone use. Turn all the lights on to start! It's handy to have a chart by the breaker box. Sometimes the previous home owner or builder has left it for you.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

go_mets

Post by go_mets » Sun May 27, 2018 6:04 pm

Watty wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 4:43 pm
go_mets wrote:
SOLVED.

The next question is why the GFCI in the garage was tripped.

Just for reference there is one more thing to try if something like this happens again.

That is to turn the circuit breaker off then back on. It is apparently possible for the circuit breaker to be triggered but not look like it has been switched to the off position.

I did turn the circuit breaker off then back on three times.
That did not work.

Only resetting the GFCI worked.

I had an outdoor electrical cord connected to one of the two outside outlets.
Nothing was plugged into the electrical cord though.
But there was a major rain storm last night.
Maybe that is what tripped the GFCI.

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Sun May 27, 2018 6:12 pm

go_mets wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 6:04 pm
But there was a major rain storm last night.
Maybe that is what tripped the GFCI.
It's possible. The GFCI on my outside outlets tripped the last time I had the house power washed. I replaced the covers over the two outlets - they were original to the house & over 2 decades old.

go_mets

Post by go_mets » Sun May 27, 2018 7:12 pm

The outdoor outlets and cover the builder put in are mediocre.
Not big enough to allow the plug and the cord to exit properly so that water does not get in.
And the inside outlets were not oriented properly.
Just shoddy!

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun May 27, 2018 7:52 pm

go_mets wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 7:12 pm
Just shoddy!
That reminded me of new hotel I stayed in last week: The towel hooks in the bathroom were installed upside down, so they were useless unless the Law of Gravity was reversed.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sun May 27, 2018 9:04 pm

runner9 wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 4:30 pm
go_mets wrote:
SOLVED.

Take some time and make a list of every circuit breaker and what specific lights, outlets, etc. are on that breaker. If it happens again you'll know right away what else to check.
+1

It really helps!