Square Trade

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
JBTX

Square Trade

Post by JBTX » Sun May 27, 2018 12:32 pm

Has anybody used square trade? If so what was your experience?

I bought (actually her grandma did) my daughter an iPad Pro 12.9 inch on amazon. It was “certified refurbished” but turns out not by Apple so it is ineligible Apple care. I typically don’t get extended warranties on products, but with my daughter I usually do, because she is so careless with such items. I have utilized those warranties on numerous occasions.

You can get a squaretrade 3 year warranty for $129. That seems pretty reasonable. $49 deductible. An iPad Pro 12.9 screen replacement is over $500 with no warranty.

student

Re: Square Trade

Post by student » Sun May 27, 2018 1:44 pm

I have never purchased extended warranty from them. From what I have read, this is a reputable company.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sun May 27, 2018 1:55 pm

I've used them before. The first time it was to insure my kids IPAD mini and it was well worth it. About a year after we had it, it was accidentally dropped on concrete steps while in a pouch, made claim with SquareTrade, they paid for the cost of the replacement. All I had to do was make the claim, show them the replacement receipt from Apple, check arrived in mail within 2 weeks. After that mishap, I upgraded the computer bag (basically a padded knapsack that holds the padded container of Ipad) - no more slipping out of a bag.

They are a reputable company, they are owned by AllState so you're in "good hands". :wink:
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sun May 27, 2018 2:06 pm

I have had 3 phones replaced by them years ago. Costco was offering a SquareTrade warranty for a discount with a purchase of a Galaxy Note 4. Broke it 3 times. Each time, painless - zero issues.

Beach376

Post by Beach376 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:32 pm

I have used Squaretrade for about 5 years and been very happy with their products. I have insured cameras, iphones, ipads, and Macbooks with them. Three claims for damage on assorted items, with quick repairs or reimbursement when repaired locally. My only frustration was after dropping a glass with water on my new Macbook Pro a few months ago. Thankfully, they cover accidental damage, which I believe Apple care excludes. The contract agreement says you can have the item repaired locally and then submit the receipt. I wanted this local option as I live 2 miles from 2 different Apple stores. Despite contacting three levels of reps and supervisors, they refused to allow the local repair option because, " The MacBook Pro is a complex computer". I told them that Apple, who designed and built the computer is quite capable of repairing the device. They refused. So I had to wait days for the shipping box to arrive, send it to Kansas from Oregon, time for repair and return shipping, around two weeks total time. Versus 2-3 days at my local Apple stores. Very frustrating. Fortunately, I don't depend on this machine for work !