Google WiFi and Verizon FIOS

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Small Law Survivor

Google WiFi and Verizon FIOS

Post by Small Law Survivor » Sun May 27, 2018 9:47 am

I was thinking of moving to Google wifi after reading this thread ....

viewtopic.php?t=213195
"Google Wifi is Awesome"

But, a tech savvy neighbor that I discussed this with advised me that I'd have to call Verizon FIOS support and find out if they can change the internet coming in to a wired ethernet option rather than the coax.

This got more complicated when I asked him if I'd be able to access the menus on Verizon TV and DVR if I replaced the Verizon router. He doesn't have Verizon TV/DVR, and he was uncertain about that issue. I don't have time or inclination to get into a technical issue that will take time and effort to resolve.

Can anyone help me figure out the best course of action? I know that renting a router is not cost-effective, but maybe the "solution" to weak wifi in parts of my house is just get an upgraded router from Verizon - either continue to rent from Verizon or buy -- (my neighbor did mention this as an option), and get a couple of extenders as necessary?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Small Law Survivor on Sun May 27, 2018 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PFInterest

Re: Google WiFi and Verizon FIOS

Post by PFInterest » Sun May 27, 2018 9:53 am

you might be confusing a couple items i think.
-- first, FIOS is your Internet Service Provider or ISP. They connect the pipe to your house for the water to flow.
-- A simplistic model: Your modem then decodes the signal so it can be sent to your router or computer. Your router then provides either Ethernet access (wired) or wireless access.
-- Ethernet does not connect you to the pipe, that is coax so not sure what your neighbor meant. you use Ethernet to connect items in your house however.
-- Google WiFi just means you used a google branded router (a mesh system)
-- Replacing the router should not impact your access to Verizon items (however note I do not use FIOS so not 100% sure).
-- agree, you should never rent a router, it is horrifically not cost effective. read this is you are thinking of a mesh system: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... king-kits/

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Sun May 27, 2018 10:15 am

I have Verizon FiOS and have added two additional routers wired via Ethernet from the primary router. These two additional WiFi access points give me strong coverage everywhere in my house.

To the OP: your primary Verizon router likely has four Ethernet ports on it for expansion...
Attempted new signature...

cykj

Post by cykj » Sun May 27, 2018 10:26 am

As someone who has Verizon FIOS "Gigabit" (980/880 Mbps) and uses Google Wifi, I can give you my insight.
For one, the DVR is discrete from the router itself. You do not need the Verizon router.

Depending on how the house is wired, the router can be connected to the coax cable system or to in-home ethernet (if the latter, the TV signals are still connected to coax). If it's connected to the coax, you will have to use the Verizon router. If not, you can use your own router (and probably combined with some sort of ethernet switch). You can also use both the Verizon router and your own. This is actually what I do. I just turn off the wireless functionality on the Verizon router (I only did this so I didn't have to "waste" putting a mesh router into a networking closet. You also do not have to "rent" a Verizon router - you can purchase one.

From what I'm guessing - you already have Verizon FIOS with a modem that connects to an in-home coax line? If that's the case, you can just add Google wifi by connecting one of the mesh systems to the router directly, and having the other ones placed for maximum coverage around the house. I would still recommend turning off the wireless functionality of the Verizon router as it would reduce interference and speed up your connections. I'd also just buy the router - it's the same cost as renting for 15 months.

JohnFiscal

Post by JohnFiscal » Sun May 27, 2018 10:29 am

This might be an informative read. It's a very recent review (this month) of wi-fi systems. The Google system didn't make the cut.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... king-kits/

(as I recall, this site, wirecutter, is now owned by the New York Times)

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Sun May 27, 2018 10:39 am

cykj wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 10:26 am
...I would still recommend turning off the wireless functionality of the Verizon router as it would reduce interference and speed up your connections. I'd also just buy the router - it's the same cost as renting for 15 months.
Depending on physical locations of the two routers, you may find it better to leave WiFi enabled on both but the set them to different channels (frequencies) to cut interference...
Attempted new signature...

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Sun May 27, 2018 11:20 am

JohnFiscal wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 10:29 am
This might be an informative read. It's a very recent review (this month) of wi-fi systems. The Google system didn't make the cut.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... king-kits/

(as I recall, this site, wirecutter, is now owned by the New York Times)
did you not read my post?

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun May 27, 2018 12:04 pm

I considered a mesh network for those locations in my house that aren’t wired for Ethernet, but on a lark tried using MoCA*. FIOS Giga Routers have this built in. Amazon sells the receiver end (https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Adapter ... ntec&psc=1). Simple, high speed, low cost. I’m a convert.

*MoCA (Multimedia Over Coax Alliance) An IP-over-coaxial cable technology from the Multimedia over Coax Alliance (www.mocalliance.org). Since the cable from the cable company is wired into every room in the house with a TV set, the connections are already in place.

blueman457

Post by blueman457 » Sun May 27, 2018 2:07 pm

It’s been a few years since I’ve had FIOS but I had the following setup (something like this):

Wall Ethernet to Apple Router (wifi). Apple Ethernet to Verizon Router. Verizon router to TV box. You have have the Verizon “router” to get your TV channels, but I can’t remembet why.

Reason: The Verizon router internet capabilities were so bad that I used my Apple router instead.

Blue Man

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Sun May 27, 2018 4:46 pm

I am the OP. Here is a comment on the Amazon page for Google wifi:

"Not compatible with Verizon or Frontier FIOS IF you also have their TV Service. Google Wi-Fi insists on being the router and FIOS TV only works correctly if their router is the primary router. Huge conflicts occur is both are used together. This should be more prominently listed. (At least I missed it and wasted a Sunday afternoon in frustration."

eugenem

Post by eugenem » Sun May 27, 2018 6:17 pm

I have experience with Google WiFi and Verizon FIOS.

My FIOS installation is from 2008, with the current Internet plan being 75/75. My current set up is Optical Network Terminal (ONT) -> Router (Actiontec rev I) -> Google WiFi

The ONT to router connection is via a coaxial cable. (Newer FIOS installs (or speeds above 75/75) are typically done using Ethernet cable)

The rest of the wireless network is behind the Google WiFi (3 pack setup). FIOS TV (including DVR and Guide) work fine. I'm thrilled with the Google WiFi setup, especially after a failed attempt at extending the wireless range of my network using the FIOS network extender.