How to dispose of car towed to mechanic?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mbres60

How to dispose of car towed to mechanic?

Post by mbres60 » Sun May 27, 2018 7:52 am

Our 2003 Buick Le Sabre died Friday. AAA towed it to our preferred shop. I have wanted to get rid of it for a while when it was still running but spouse did not. I assume that on Tuesday when the shop gets a chance to look at it that the fix will not be worth spending $$$. Any ideas on how to dispose of the vehicle? We will have seven days that we can leave it on their property.

Thanks.

mouses

Re: How to dispose of car towed to mechanic?

Post by mouses » Sun May 27, 2018 8:10 am

I looked at donating one of my old cars to charity. I haven't gotten around to deciding, but I'm told the collecting business picks it up, handles all the paperwork, etc. All you have to do is remove the license plates and sign stuff. I think the paperwork is downloadable.

They take any car. The charity does get some value, even if it's just sold for parts or metal. When the collecting business actually disposes of the car, which may be to a wrecker or not, they send you a form with the sale value for tax purposes.

I am not sure they would get there in seven days, but probably or you could make some arrangement.

This is the place I checked out via an animal shelter I support:

https://www.v-dac.com/org/?id=043509327

Some of the donation programs are somewhat dubious. kars4kids for example, sounds like it helps children, but their proceeds actually go to support a religious group. So if you do this, check programs out, like via www.charitynavigator.org.

Fudgie

Post by Fudgie » Sun May 27, 2018 8:15 am

:oops:
Last edited by Fudgie on Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sun May 27, 2018 8:21 am

Offer the mechanic the car to pay for his services.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Sun May 27, 2018 8:23 am

Fudgie wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 8:15 am
Hi! Salvage guys will pick it up for you, AND give you a few hundred bucks.
I've gone this route before too.

MOBugeater

Post by MOBugeater » Sun May 27, 2018 8:45 am

^+1

I just went through this with daughters car while she was away at college. Had towed to mechanic - was going to have them look at it - but then I decided, with all the challenges we have had with that car, I'd save the $ of having the mechanic look at it and just googled salvage yards in the area. Called one of them and asked how much they'd give me (to include going and getting the vehicle from the mechanic). Was $200 - but I wasn't in a position to negotiate either so took that for simplicity. Called mechanic and let them know what was going on (be sure to make sure they won't charge you a daily storage fee if salvage can't get for a bit).

Daryl

Post by Daryl » Sun May 27, 2018 9:24 am

I've donated a vehicle to my local public radio station. The whole process took less than a week.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sun May 27, 2018 9:36 am

Daryl wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 9:24 am
I've donated a vehicle to my local public radio station. The whole process took less than a week.
I sold one to a junk yard. The whole process took them about as long as it took them to get a tow truck to the site. Called them one afternoon, and they were there next morning.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Sun May 27, 2018 10:23 am

I've sold to the mechanic, given to charity and called the junkyard (make that vehicle recycler!). All work well just have the title in hand, sign it over and you're good to go. If your mechanic doesn't want it be sure to inform him of your intent that the vehicle will be off lot asap.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Sun May 27, 2018 12:38 pm

mouses wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 8:10 am
I looked at donating one of my old cars to charity.
The problem with that is to get anything out of it you have to be able to deduct the donation. With the new tax laws, fewer people will be in that category. Even with deduction it's usually not as favorable as selling it for scrap.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Sun May 27, 2018 1:37 pm

Thanks for some ideas :happy