Rowing machine

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
test123

Rowing machine

Post by test123 » Fri May 25, 2018 9:00 pm

I'm thinking about buying a rowing machine to add to my home workout gear. Any suggestions on brands/models in the $250-$450 range.

I'm also having a hard time finding a store that stocks rowing machines wherer I could actually try it out, inspect it, etc. Dicks does NOT stock them--online only. Suggestions?

AlohaJoe

Re: Rowing machine

Post by AlohaJoe » Fri May 25, 2018 9:09 pm

Unfortunately, I can't help you with either one. But since this is a "rowing machine thread", I'll throw in: I have a Concept2 rower and everything everyone says about them is true. It is a fair bit out of your price range, though.

boglemania

Post by boglemania » Fri May 25, 2018 9:12 pm

agree. concept 2 bombproof and fun bc of monitor. can find lots of others but they end up at garage sales. Concept 2 not nearly the most expensive. Water filled models fill that bill. IF you can find used concept 2 that would be a major score...?ebay, craiglist, local college rowing team replacing fleet. Good luck!

jibantik

Post by jibantik » Fri May 25, 2018 9:14 pm

Concept 2. Worth every penny and hardly depreciates in value. If you are going to get one, it HAS to be a concept 2.

HoleInTheAir

Post by HoleInTheAir » Fri May 25, 2018 9:20 pm

Just save up a little longer and get the C2. I've had it for over two years and have rowed multiple times per week that whole span - looks and feels brand new. Their quality is second to none.

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Fri May 25, 2018 9:24 pm

HoleInTheAir wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 9:20 pm
Just save up a little longer and get the C2. I've had it for over two years and have rowed multiple times per week that whole span - looks and feels brand new. Their quality is second to none.
I've had mine six years and same.

carguyny

Post by carguyny » Fri May 25, 2018 9:26 pm

I rowed many years ago now, have always had a rowing machine at home. I love the Slider Dynamic, have owned a Concept 2 and Water Rower before it - it is easily the best. Takes a little to get used to if you're a novice, but worth the effort. http://sliderdynamic.com/slider.html

If you can find one of those used, it's the way to go. If not, I would go a Concept 2 as others suggest. You might need to wait for the right one at your budget, but anything else you will regret. I regretted the water rower as I couldn't get enough resistance out of it.

RamblinDoc

Post by RamblinDoc » Fri May 25, 2018 9:37 pm

Concept 2

Anything less and you will regret it.

Beehave

Post by Beehave » Sat May 26, 2018 1:11 am

Ditto Concept 2. Minimum maintenance and it keeps on working.
Two suggestions:
(1) Don't forget to do core exercises too.
(2) If you cruise, cruise ship gyms often have Concept 2 machines. You will want to do your daily routine. Do not use the rower if seas are rocking. The gym is high up, the motion is exaggerated, and you can torque your back something fierce (not theory).

HoleInTheAir

Post by HoleInTheAir » Sat May 26, 2018 8:30 am

Beehave wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 1:11 am
Two suggestions:
(2) If you cruise, cruise ship gyms often have Concept 2 machines. You will want to do your daily routine. Do not use the rower if seas are rocking. The gym is high up, the motion is exaggerated, and you can torque your back something fierce (not theory).
I'd love to hear more about point #2 :P

strafe

Post by strafe » Sat May 26, 2018 8:49 am

There is no rowing machine worth buying other than the concept2. Resale value is excellent as well, so there is limited risk. Get the model D.

The WaterRower is also well made but is more a piece of furniture than a serious work out tool.

The concept2 app ecosystem is exceptional. Connects to Strava, Fitbit, MapMyRide (I think) and many others. There are even 3rd party apps that allow you to connect it to Zwift.

Finally, if you take the plunge, I’d suggest you check out the “Pete Plan” for training. Check out C2 videos for proper form.

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Sat May 26, 2018 8:54 am

Concept 2.

Gill

Post by Gill » Sat May 26, 2018 8:55 am

I have an Integrity Air 3000 which I've had for ten years and use several times a week. Has worked fine and was in your price range. I don't know anything about current models or whether it is even made now.
Gill

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Sat May 26, 2018 9:14 am

Concept 2. Buy second hand if price is an issue.

It will either be well used (rowers love their machines and use them) or hardly broken in. Rowing machines and most exercise machine are often purchased, used for a short period of time and then gather dust (as I look over at my forlorn treadmill in the sunroom). Hint look for one covered in dust.

desafinado

Post by desafinado » Sat May 26, 2018 9:18 am

carguyny wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 9:26 pm
I rowed many years ago now, have always had a rowing machine at home. I love the Slider Dynamic, have owned a Concept 2 and Water Rower before it - it is easily the best. Takes a little to get used to if you're a novice, but worth the effort. http://sliderdynamic.com/slider.html

If you can find one of those used, it's the way to go. If not, I would go a Concept 2 as others suggest. You might need to wait for the right one at your budget, but anything else you will regret. I regretted the water rower as I couldn't get enough resistance out of it.
you can also get sliders for the c2 which might be better if you care about being able to compare your times to other people rowing on c2s.
i'll also throw out rowperfect, not necessarily for op as it's a lot more expensive than even a c2 but can be good for improving form.

Beehave

Post by Beehave » Sat May 26, 2018 10:16 am

HoleInTheAir wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 8:30 am
Beehave wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 1:11 am
Two suggestions:
I'd love to hear more about point #2 :P
My experience: If, relative to the way the rower is facing, the ship is rolling side to side (not pitching straight up and down); then as you pull on the rowing machine you will often be leaning left or right. I'm not sure of the exact mechanics, but the net effect for me was like leaning or twisting while picking up an object. I hurt my back.

I think point 1 is related, so even though you did not ask - - - for years I did core exercises and then stopped and then for years only used rower and exercycle. Strong upper body plus strong lower body plus weaker core left me more susceptible to hurting my back during exercise (my opinion based on my experience). As with investing, there's a value to diversification in exercise.

Best wishes. :sharebeer

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat May 26, 2018 10:41 am

Concept 2 --

If you can live without the display - I suspect you may be able to get a better deal on one of the older models that do not have the display.

I use one at my local gym -- and really use the display to track my exertion, though.

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Sat May 26, 2018 11:28 am

I have a very old piston type rower that I still use occasionally (e.g. when the snow is too high to get to the gym.) But at the gym I use a Concept 2. I don't know how much they cost because I'm not planning to buy one. But the C2 is far superior to my old rower.
Friar1610

heyyou

Post by heyyou » Sat May 26, 2018 12:16 pm

My rowing apparatus is mobile, it floats on water. :)

CppCoder

Post by CppCoder » Sat May 26, 2018 1:31 pm

Another vote for Concept 2. I'm nearing my first million meters and am looking forward to my free T-shirt!

SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent » Sat May 26, 2018 2:15 pm

Concept2...period.

Increase your budget, you won't regret spending the extra money.

These machines are made to withstand gym use. Using it once a day at home is like driving a Ferrari 55 mph. :sharebeer

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat May 26, 2018 3:53 pm

No expert - but (from what I read) a rowing machine is very good aerobic exercise EXCEPT for some folks with certain kinds of back problems.

The Concept 2 rower at my gym is my favorite exercise machine. :)

Look for instruction video online -

CedarWaxWing

Post by CedarWaxWing » Sat May 26, 2018 4:10 pm

http://totalbodyexperts.com/rowers/firs ... rower.html

First degree... I like it much better than the chain drive Concept machines. Feels very good, and the sound of the water is something I enjoy... but when watching TV at the same time is a detriment.

(I got mine for about 1/3 of the price in the ad.)

Concept machines are nice for the price, and can usually be found used.

test123

Post by test123 » Sun May 27, 2018 10:23 am

I appreciate everyone comments and suggestions. I’ve also heard the suggestions from others about concept2 and I see them at some gyms. The only reason I’m hesitant to pop for the higher cost is I’m not yet certain that rowing will become my thing. I can afford it but I don’t want invest that much in a long term item that may it be not be a long term activity. I’m looking for more of a starter unit . If it pans out, I’d probably upgrade . Jeff

chevca

Post by chevca » Sun May 27, 2018 6:58 pm

test123 wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 10:23 am
I can afford it but I don’t want invest that much in a long term item that may it be not be a long term activity. I’m looking for more of a starter unit . If it pans out, I’d probably upgrade . Jeff

Have you looked for used concept2 rowers from folks that may have bought one and it wasn't their thing? I'm sure their out there. That may be your best bet. If it doesn't pan out, sell it.

This isn't a house. Buying a starter unit with plans to upgrade seems silly when talking about rowers. What if you buy the starter unit and that is what turns you off about a rowing machine? Hmmm....

For credibility, I own a concept2 rower and love it!

BogleWogle

Post by BogleWogle » Sun May 27, 2018 7:27 pm

chevca wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 6:58 pm
test123 wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 10:23 am
I can afford it but I don’t want invest that much in a long term item that may it be not be a long term activity. I’m looking for more of a starter unit . If it pans out, I’d probably upgrade . Jeff

Have you looked for used concept2 rowers from folks that may have bought one and it wasn't their thing? I'm sure their out there. That may be your best bet. If it doesn't pan out, sell it.

This isn't a house. Buying a starter unit with plans to upgrade seems silly when talking about rowers. What if you buy the starter unit and that is what turns you off about a rowing machine? Hmmm....

For credibility, I own a concept2 rower and love it!
+1 for the concept2... they hold there value very well so worst case you can sell it if you’re concerned you won’t keep it long term.

WCRower

Post by WCRower » Sun May 27, 2018 7:57 pm

Another Concept 2 vote. I have one that I bought used, tho it's an older model and doesn't sync with my Fitbit. (There's a card to be inserted but I don't bother. Just snap a photo of the results of the session and enter the info on the C2logbook site manually. The monitors for the ones at my boathouse are newer and everything syncs up automatically with Bluetooth.) The YMCAs around me generally have several - you could join just for a month or so and see how it goes. Like any other piece of workout equipment, using it properly is the best way to reduce the chance of injury, so get some instruction. (The rowing stroke is not quite as simple as it looks!) But IMHO, the only reason to use an erg is b/c you can't be on the water! :-)

wordsmith11

Post by wordsmith11 » Sun May 27, 2018 9:20 pm

Does anybody care that the Concept 2 looks like a mutant praying mantis whereas the WaterRower is a piece of art that works quite well from an exercise standpoint, is inherently soothing, and is not embarrassing to have in a public space in one's home? :wink:

Hillview

Post by Hillview » Mon May 28, 2018 8:20 am

dont bother with anything that isn't a concept 2

Portis

Post by Portis » Mon May 28, 2018 8:50 am

Couldn't be happier with my Concept 2!

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Mon May 28, 2018 8:58 am

wordsmith11 wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 9:20 pm
Does anybody care that the Concept 2 looks like a mutant praying mantis whereas the WaterRower is a piece of art that works quite well from an exercise standpoint, is inherently soothing, and is not embarrassing to have in a public space in one's home? :wink:
I use the WaterRower in fitness classes and with my personal trainer, and have come to love it.

I’ve never used the Concept 2 and agree that the WaterRower is a beautiful piece of equipment — all else equal l, I’d rather have the WaterRower in my home (but I drive to the gym instead).

Andy.

dsb012

Post by dsb012 » Mon May 28, 2018 3:23 pm

To comment on the higher cost and it not being your thing I'd say your lost $$$ would be less buying a new C2. A no name sub $500 rower will have almost no resell value. C2s hold there value extremely well. I'd actually say too well, the few used model Ds I see that have little use are usually within $150-$200 of what a new one costs and they are gone very quickly. It's a testament to how well they are built, 100,000 - 500,000 meters is nothing on a C2.

Get a new model D, get the phone mount for $5 and load ErgData (free) on your phone, it syncs and tracks all your meters and can work with Strava and Training Peaks if you are on those platforms. Sign up for the workout of the day from C2 and you'll have plenty of new things to do.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon May 28, 2018 4:13 pm

In my gym, the C2 rowers get a lot of use. The do seem to need some degree of maintenance from time to time.