Reducing mosquitos by pool

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Reducing mosquitos by pool

Post by ThankYouJack »

I have a small temporary pool and typically have a few mosquitos flying around it. Are there any candles, tiki torches or bug zappers like https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000 ... pldnSite=1
that would help? I'd rather not use chemicals but may consider if it becomes more of a problem.
jadedfalcons

Re: Reducing mosquitos by pool

Post by jadedfalcons »

I sell dunks that look like a tiny donut that you toss in. Basically what they do is break up the surface tension of the water so the larvae drown since they breathe out their rectum, floating at the surface, while maturing.

Your local hardware or farm and home store should have them.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Carp?
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywo ... r6rn_b_p37

If you keep your pool chemicals up to date, it should not get mosquitoes

I saw these on another mosquito thread in here

https://spartanmosquito.com/

I ordered some late summer last year and they didn't help. I tried some again this year - so far so good but is earlier than the worst of mosquito season
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

jadedfalcons wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 8:27 pm I sell dunks that look like a tiny donut that you toss in. Basically what they do is break up the surface tension of the water so the larvae drown since they breathe out their rectum, floating at the surface, while maturing.

Your local hardware or farm and home store should have them.
Mosquito dunks that look like donuts are typically dried compressed stuff with some Bacillus thuringiensis which is a bacteria that infects insect larva and kills them. I'd be interested in the dunks that "break up the surface tension of the water" which suggests a detergent and not a bacteria.

I suspect the OP would have a few mosquitos flying around whether they had a small pool or not.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

If you think these mosquitoes are breeding in the pool, then you really need to use pool chemicals.

If you just need general mosquito control, look into ovitraps. You can find instructions to build your own or buy them. I bought these and found that they help a lot:

https://www.amazon.com/Mosquito-Larva-T ... op?ie=UTF8
Looks like they're out of stock at amazon and temporarily sold out on their own site: https://www.bitebackllc.com/shop/

diy: http://www.instructables.com/id/Mosquit ... g-Ovitrap/

The key is to have these traps out at the beginning of the mosquito season. They lure the females to waste their eggs/larvae, disrupting the reproductive cycle. (Of course, the downside is that it takes weeks to taper down the mosquito population and they won't get everything)
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

Thanks all. To clarify, I don't think the mosquitos are breeding in the pool, but there is standing water around the pool. I might try Bite Back and some Dunks or Mosquito bits too
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

Bat House
jdb

Post by jdb »

Is it near summertime? Is this outside? My advice is to spend whatever monies you would spend on mosquito repellant on your favorite summer drink, I prefer cold craft beer or red wine, then sip and ignore the critters. A few skeeter bites may help your autoimmune system. Just my two cents. And whatever you do, please don’t use any chemicals that would hurt my honeybees, those girls work hard to make honey and have enough problems already. Thanks and good luck.
Last edited by jdb on Sun May 27, 2018 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

Are they gathering around the pool, or, are they gathering around the people gathering around the pool? Or, are they hatching from the pool (or nearby pooled water) so it appears they are gathering around the pool, but are really leaving the water?
Retired 2019. So far, so good. I want to wake up every morning. But I want to die in my sleep. Just another conundrum. I think the solution might be afternoon naps ;)
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

dknightd wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 3:39 pm Are they gathering around the pool, or, are they gathering around the people gathering around the pool? Or, are they hatching from the pool (or nearby pooled water) so it appears they are gathering around the pool, but are really leaving the water?
Seems like some noseeums or some real tiny mosquitos just hatches by the pool. Seems like they bite but the smallest itch and it doesn't leave a mark.
So they could be a bigger problem than mosquitos.
I did buy some tiki torches so will see if those help.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

Why do you not spray some repellent on you. I have a little pond and had to spray myself. Putting gold fish in your standing water will help against mosquitoes because fish like to eat their larvae.
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

ThankYouJack wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 4:01 pm
Seems like some noseeums or some real tiny mosquitos just hatches by the pool. Seems like they bite but the smallest itch and it doesn't leave a mark.
So they could be a bigger problem than mosquitos.
I did buy some tiki torches so will see if those help.
You should probably make sure the surrounding ground is well drained. You say temporary pool. Is this a kiddie sized pool? If so drain it once a week. That will water surrounding grass, flush out the larva, and allow you to move it around the yard. If bigger than that you probably have to use chemicals of some sort to prevent breeding. If the bugs are coming out of the pool torches will not help much, you need to stop them from breeding!
Retired 2019. So far, so good. I want to wake up every morning. But I want to die in my sleep. Just another conundrum. I think the solution might be afternoon naps ;)
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

if there is wet ground it could be any number of critters. Keeping it dry is best. I don't like spraying but I have a couple of areas that tend to be shady and damp that I hit with Triazicide to suppress biting mites and later chiggers (it is probably too early for chiggers).
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff