Mango card hacked and drained! Help!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
eagleeyes

Mango card hacked and drained! Help!

Post by eagleeyes »

My mango card was hacked and drained of funds! When I dial the CSR number I am in an endless series of holds. Not sure what the next step should be.

I think the first question is will mango money make me whole? Or will I just get screwed? It’s technically a debit card so I suppose that I don’t have protection on it....any ideas as to what laws are applicable?
THY4373

Re: Mango card hacked and drained! Help!

Post by THY4373 »

I have not dealt with Mango but in my credit card arbitrage side gig I deal with a lot of similar vendors with various issues over time. You will almost certainly be made whole of that I have little doubt but you will probably also have to work for it. My advice is to use Google and see if you can find other phone numbers or contact methods that might work better. Reaching out social media may also help. Finally you can always try the CFPB (https://www.consumerfinance.gov/). Oh and debit cards do have protections though you may have to wait while they do their investigation to get your money back. As I said I am pretty confident you will be fine but it may be a slog to get there. Also one last bit of advice keep a running log of what actions you take, who you call, what they said etc. This may be useful if you really have to press things at some later time.
slbnoob

Post by slbnoob »

Are you sure it wasn't this: viewtopic.php?t=248456 ?
Good Listener

Post by Good Listener »

This may be a useful lesson. When probably 95% of people don't know what something you own is (Mango card?) ...stay away. I hope you can recover your losses.
ne2ca28

Post by ne2ca28 »

Good Listener wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:06 pm This may be a useful lesson. When probably 95% of people don't know what something you own is (Mango card?) ...stay away. I hope you can recover your losses.
OP probably found out about Mango from this site (high interest savings account). I guess we could just re-state your post and say, if you dont know the answer or can be helpful... stay away? :sharebeer

OP - when I had issues with them, I found it was easiest to email them and be patient. Hopefully the post above with the link about switching funds to a new bank was the same issue you had. I found an additional phone number that may be helpful - (877) 896-2646. The phone number listed on the site is 855-687-2036.
Topic Author
eagleeyes

Post by eagleeyes »

Hi all,

Am currently out of town, but will follow up on Monday. That was helpful! Hopeful it’s just a computer thing from switching banks
Good Listener

Post by Good Listener »

ne2ca28 wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:57 pm
Good Listener wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:06 pm This may be a useful lesson. When probably 95% of people don't know what something you own is (Mango card?) ...stay away. I hope you can recover your losses.
OP probably found out about Mango from this site (high interest savings account). I guess we could just re-state your post and say, if you dont know the answer or can be helpful... stay away? :sharebeer

OP - when I had issues with them, I found it was easiest to email them and be patient. Hopefully the post above with the link about switching funds to a new bank was the same issue you had. I found an additional phone number that may be helpful - (877) 896-2646. The phone number listed on the site is 855-687-2036.
You're right. In my defense, it sounded like a scam and that was my intent but I should have looked into it beforehand. Thanks for calling me out.
patrick

Post by patrick »

eagleeyes wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 4:07 pm My mango card was hacked and drained of funds! When I dial the CSR number I am in an endless series of holds. Not sure what the next step should be.

I think the first question is will mango money make me whole? Or will I just get screwed? It’s technically a debit card so I suppose that I don’t have protection on it....any ideas as to what laws are applicable?
For regular debit cards at least, there is quite a bit of protection . Liability is limited by law to $500 if you report within 60 days of the statement, and $50 if you further report it within 2 days of discovering it, and you may get even better from the card networks. I'm not sure if the same applies to a prepaid card (especially if the savings account was involved) but between the law, the card networks, and the bank's own offerings I doubt you are completely lost here.

If you still haven't been able to get through by phone, they do seem to also have an online customer support. If that doesn't work either (or you're locked out of it) there is postal mail as a last resort.