Which tickets would you buy in advance (Europe)?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
fortfun

Which tickets would you buy in advance (Europe)?

Post by fortfun » Fri May 25, 2018 1:01 pm

Will be in Europe this summer. Which activity/tour/museum tickets would you purchase/recommend in advance? Also, City Passes worth it in any of these cities?

London
Rhine River (Bacharach)
Munich
Venice
Rome
Cinque Terre/Pisa
Swiss Alps (Lauderbraunen)
Paris

Glockenspiel

Re: Which tickets would you buy in advance (Europe)?

Post by Glockenspiel » Fri May 25, 2018 1:23 pm

Vatican Museum, Scavi tour under St. Peter's Basilica (do this immediately, sells out early), Borghese Gallery, Tour Eiffel, The Louvre.

In Paris, the City Pass was worth it, but we stayed for 4 days. If your timeframe isn't very long, might not be worth it.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Fri May 25, 2018 1:35 pm

Glockenspiel wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 1:23 pm
Vatican Museum, Scavi tour under St. Peter's Basilica (do this immediately, sells out early), Borghese Gallery, Tour Eiffel, The Louvre.

In Paris, the City Pass was worth it, but we stayed for 4 days. If your timeframe isn't very long, might not be worth it.
Thanks Glock!

Big Dutch

Post by Big Dutch » Fri May 25, 2018 1:49 pm

We found the Roma Pass to a good value in Rome during a three night stay. Access to major sites and some public transportation.

~Big Dutch

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Fri May 25, 2018 2:16 pm

Big Dutch wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 1:49 pm
We found the Roma Pass to a good value in Rome during a three night stay. Access to major sites and some public transportation.

~Big Dutch
Thanks Big.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Fri May 25, 2018 3:13 pm

Don't know about buying tickets, but I do recommend you check museum schedules ahead of time. DW and I were in Paris last year, just so happened the only full day we had in Paris was the day of the week that most museums were closed. :oops:
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri May 25, 2018 3:35 pm

fortfun wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 1:01 pm
Will be in Europe this summer. Which activity/tour/museum tickets would you purchase/recommend in advance? Also, City Passes worth it in any of these cities?

London
Rhine River (Bacharach)
Munich
Venice
Rome
Cinque Terre/Pisa
Paris
That is a lot. Be sure to check on the details of the Schengen Visa if you will be there for more than three months.

Trying to fit that in just a month would be pretty frantic and you might not be able to enjoy it as much as you should. You might want to consider having a much smaller list. Rome and Venice will likely be hot and crowded in the summer so you might want to save those for another trip. You could also see Florence at the same time in a future trip and I really liked Florence.

It would be good to see the Rick Steeves books to find out which tickets to buy ahead of time and which city passes are a good deal.

I suspect that most of the popular attractions that you should buy tickets for will already booked up. See the Rick Steeves books for suggestions on how to work around that.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Fri May 25, 2018 4:05 pm

You mean LauTerbrunnen.

Usually there is not a big problem getting a hotel in the Alps in the summer. However Lauterbrunnen is pretty small. It doesn't hurt to get a good hotel lined up in advance.

ray.james

Post by ray.james » Fri May 25, 2018 4:16 pm

Big Dutch wrote:

~Big Dutch
+1
Even if you do not do Roma pass, if you want to do tours Colosseum,(+ underground/belvedere) tours are really good and sell out. Getting tickets early helps with avoiding lines at Colosseum.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Fri May 25, 2018 10:02 pm

Watty wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 3:35 pm
fortfun wrote:

London
Rhine River (Bacharach)
Munich
Venice
Rome
Cinque Terre/Pisa
Paris
That is a lot. Be sure to check on the details of the Schengen Visa if you will be there for more than three months.

Trying to fit that in just a month would be pretty frantic and you might not be able to enjoy it as much as you should. You might want to consider having a much smaller list. Rome and Venice will likely be hot and crowded in the summer so you might want to save those for another trip. You could also see Florence at the same time in a future trip and I really liked Florence.

It would be good to see the Rick Steeves books to find out which tickets to buy ahead of time and which city passes are a good deal.

I suspect that most of the popular attractions that you should buy tickets for will already booked up. See the Rick Steeves books for suggestions on how to work around that.
Thanks Watty. The tickets, hotels, and trains have been booked. It's going to be a bit of a whirlwind tour. Really just a chance to let us see a bit of everything and hopefully we will return in retirement. Thank you for the suggestions!

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Fri May 25, 2018 10:04 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 4:05 pm
You mean LauTerbrunnen.

Usually there is not a big problem getting a hotel in the Alps in the summer. However Lauterbrunnen is pretty small. It doesn't hurt to get a good hotel lined up in advance.
Darn! Hopefully, I'll know how to spell everything when I return. We have a nice hostel in Lauterbrunnen. Do you recommend the glacier trains, trams, or both?
Thanks!

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Fri May 25, 2018 10:04 pm

ray.james wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 4:16 pm
Big Dutch wrote:

~Big Dutch
+1
Even if you do not do Roma pass, if you want to do tours Colosseum,(+ underground/belvedere) tours are really good and sell out. Getting tickets early helps with avoiding lines at Colosseum.
Thanks Ray James!

Scrapr

Post by Scrapr » Fri May 25, 2018 10:52 pm

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 3:13 pm
Don't know about buying tickets, but I do recommend you check museum schedules ahead of time. DW and I were in Paris last year, just so happened the only full day we had in Paris was the day of the week that most museums were closed. :oops:
Yes. The Louvre was strangely slow the day we showed up. LOL Went to the D'Orsay. Which we loved

GKSD

Post by GKSD » Fri May 25, 2018 11:02 pm

fortfun wrote:

London
Rhine River (Bacharach)
Munich
Venice
Rome
Cinque Terre/Pisa
Paris
Travelling to Rome next week - have bought tickets to Vatican and Colosseum/Roman forum/Palatine hill in advance.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Fri May 25, 2018 11:05 pm

GKSD wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 11:02 pm
fortfun wrote:

London
Rhine River (Bacharach)
Munich
Venice
Rome
Cinque Terre/Pisa
Paris
Travelling to Rome next week - have bought tickets to Vatican and Colosseum/Roman forum/Palatine hill in advance.
City pass or just individual? Thanks GKSD.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Fri May 25, 2018 11:06 pm

Scrapr wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 10:52 pm
oldcomputerguy wrote:
Yes. The Louvre was strangely slow the day we showed up. LOL Went to the D'Orsay. Which we loved
Good suggestion. We are there for 5 days, so we should be good but still good to know.

Scrapr

Post by Scrapr » Fri May 25, 2018 11:08 pm

fortfun wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 11:06 pm
Scrapr wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 10:52 pm
oldcomputerguy wrote:
Good suggestion. We are there for 5 days, so we should be good but still good to know.
it was strangely slow because it was CLOSED! Closed on Tuesday. Which made the line over at the D'Orsay a bit longer

The Museum pass was great. Because at the D'Orsay it would have meant a long line for tickets. Then the admission line
Last edited by Scrapr on Fri May 25, 2018 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GKSD

Post by GKSD » Fri May 25, 2018 11:08 pm

fortfun wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 11:05 pm
GKSD wrote:
fortfun wrote:

London
Rhine River (Bacharach)
Munich
Venice
Rome
Cinque Terre/Pisa
Paris
Individual - I did not know about city pass. Besides these tickets we have bought the train tickets in advance (Rome to Florence, Florence to Venice)

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Fri May 25, 2018 11:14 pm

GKSD wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 11:08 pm
fortfun wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 11:05 pm
GKSD wrote:
fortfun wrote:

London
Rhine River (Bacharach)
Munich
Venice
Rome
Cinque Terre/Pisa
Paris
Individual - I did not know about city pass. Besides these tickets we have bought the train tickets in advance (Rome to Florence, Florence to Venice)
Yes, we purchased train tickets too. Hopefully, they are not on strike while we are there :)

Deats1980

Post by Deats1980 » Fri May 25, 2018 11:36 pm

It all totally depends on how long you are staying in each place. If you have an idea of which places you want to go to, then you can work out if a city pass is worth it. Often people get stuck doing things that are included on the city pass as they want to get value for money. In my opinion, city passes are rarely good value. I'd rather pick and choose the things I really want to do, many of which are not on the city pass. Also, with a city pass, many people end up rushing their visits just to 'do' as many places as possible. Take your time, enjoy where you are, it is not a race! Sometimes less = more.

Buying individual tickets in advance is often worthwhile for various reasons - cheaper admission, shorter queues etc.

Plan your trip well. Check on opening times and dates. Do NOT go on free museum days - way too crowded. Why travel all that way and spend all that money not enjoy the experience by saying $15? Read reviews about the busiest times of day and avoid those times in those places. Many places have swarms of tour buses arriving at certain times. So, avoid those times. Often late in the day can be the best time to visit busier places, when people are burned out and heading home. Or it can be good to visit from 12-2 when people are having lunch. But it depends on location. Forward planning is key to make the most of each location.

mrb09

Post by mrb09 » Sat May 26, 2018 8:31 am

Not mentioned in your list, but last time we were in London we bought a visitor Oyster card for Underground (tube) travel, which was well worth it for convenience.