How long is reasonable? Life insurance followup

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
aquamarine

How long is reasonable? Life insurance followup

Post by aquamarine » Fri May 25, 2018 12:31 am

So some of you may recall, my mother died and left some money in a life insurance policy.

I submitted the necessary paperwork and sent it certified mail. I also emailed the company because I noticed within the same letter they sent me they misspelled my name incorrectly two different ways. I asked them to please make sure to spell my name correctly on the check they issue and gave them the correct spelling. I did not want to have to deal with any problems with the check itself given the name they wrote wasn't the correct one.

Well, I have not heard back and received no reply to the email.

How long is it reasonable for a life insurance company to take to make payment and issue a check?

If you do not hear back for an email, how long is it reasonable to wait to followup? I did not received an "I'm out of the office or on vacation" auto reply. Just no response. I was emailing a specific person at the company who was corresponding with me about the forms.

What would you say in a followup email that expresses concern and would get things moving in the right direction. I do not know what the problem is or what to do now.

Is there a specific department I need to ask for to make sure my name is spelled correctly? Any advice?

Steelersfan

Re: How long is reasonable? Life insurance followup

Post by Steelersfan » Fri May 25, 2018 8:12 am

How long have you been waiting for a response to your mail?

And your email?

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri May 25, 2018 9:06 am

Duplicate.
Last edited by Grt2bOutdoors on Fri May 25, 2018 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri May 25, 2018 9:08 am

A week to two weeks for a response. No more than 30 days to get your funds. Realize that this is Memorial Day weekend and lots of folks are on vacation. Also, the person you correspond with is likely not the one who will approve the forms and disbursement of funds.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Fri May 25, 2018 4:10 pm

In reading your previous thread concerning this company, it looks like delay/incompetence is their game, and that you've now been dealing with this situation for a number of weeks.

I typically give a company one more opportunity after a delay or screw-up. But not more than one, for that suggests a pattern that you're not going to prevail against.

I'd take up the suggestions other posters gave you in that thread and call the regulator or the state. There's no reason to be nice/courteous at this point.

aquamarine

Post by aquamarine » Sat May 26, 2018 2:11 am

Thanks everyone! Really appreciate it.