Alexa Echo sent family's audio file to a contact

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jebmke

Re: Alexa Echo sent family's audio file to a contact

Post by jebmke » Sat May 26, 2018 12:16 pm

The most technically astute people I know are genuinely concerned about information security and privacy.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Sat May 26, 2018 5:39 pm

beardsworth wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 12:13 pm
NextMil wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 7:30 pm
The world will always have Luddites.
In functional terms a "Luddite" is just someone who is more cautious about a particular technology than the person wielding the pejorative description "Luddite." :)

In any case, anyone using a sophisticated computer on a high speed connection to a personal finance forum conducted on the Internet can't be legitimately described as a present-day Luddite. Better to say, in a non-judgmental kind of way, that some people like Alexa-type devices and are willing to accept their possible drawbacks, while others don't.

Every technology does things to people as well as for them. Our society has a tendency to focus mainly on the latter and to discount or dismiss the former.
Do you have a Facebook account? Enabled gps services on your phone for anything? Have a gmail email account that tracks your search history? Shared your email address to BH to create an account?

Now that we have that out of the way, and can put into context where in relation to the other risks basically everyone is taking and a device that records and anonymously encrypts anything post a trigger word and an extended pause, maybe we can be honest about actual risks.

Luddite is still accurate.

Sidney

Post by Sidney » Sat May 26, 2018 5:43 pm

I believe luddites destroyed machinery because they thought their jobs were at risk.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sat May 26, 2018 5:45 pm

NextMil wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 5:39 pm
beardsworth wrote:
NextMil wrote:
In functional terms a "Luddite" is just someone who is more cautious about a particular technology than the person wielding the pejorative description "Luddite." :)

In any case, anyone using a sophisticated computer on a high speed connection to a personal finance forum conducted on the Internet can't be legitimately described as a present-day Luddite. Better to say, in a non-judgmental kind of way, that some people like Alexa-type devices and are willing to accept their possible drawbacks, while others don't.

Every technology does things to people as well as for them. Our society has a tendency to focus mainly on the latter and to discount or dismiss the former.
Do you have a Facebook account? Enabled gps services on your phone for anything? Have a gmail email account that tracks your search history? Shared your email address to BH to create an account?

Now that we have that out of the way, and can put into context where in relation to the other risks basically everyone is taking and a device that records and anonymously encrypts anything post a trigger word and an extended pause, maybe we can be honest about actual risks.

No.
No.
No.
No (not regular e-address; have a variety of e-addresses for "registering", mostly unique per account; yes, we tend to forget them...).

I prefer the label "dinosaur" these days.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Sat May 26, 2018 6:02 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 5:45 pm
NextMil wrote:
beardsworth wrote:
NextMil wrote:

No.
No.
No.
No (not regular e-address; have a variety of e-addresses for "registering", mostly unique per account; yes, we tend to forget them...).

RM
You have over 6k posts on BH. I bet if someone bothered they could build out a profile. Just saying, everything shared is susceptible. Maybe I am wrong. Maybe you have everything tightly locked up. Or maybe you slipped once and it’s enough for a pro to exploit you.

I am just not worried about conversations, which really only would be recorded if trigger was used. Nothing I discuss at home is scif worthy.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sat May 26, 2018 6:08 pm

NextMil wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 6:02 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 5:45 pm
NextMil wrote:
beardsworth wrote:
NextMil wrote:

No.
No.
No.

RM
You have over 6k posts on BH. I bet if someone bothered they could build out a profile. Just saying, everything shared is susceptible. Maybe I am wrong. Maybe you have everything tightly locked up. Or maybe you slipped once and it’s enough for a pro to exploit you.

I am just not worried about conversations, which really only would be recorded if trigger was used. Nothing I discuss at home is scif worthy.
Oh, I'm sure someone could "find me" if they started searching about habits, patterns, favorites, etc.

But that's quite different from a phone that tracks via GPS, or a Facebook page.
I responded to several specific questions.

We figure if anyone wants to *target* us, we are toast. :annoyed
Same with home security.

RM

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Sat May 26, 2018 6:14 pm

I agree. Sometimes it’s better to be hidden in plain sight. On the other hand the Chinese farms are gobbling up data from the socials at a breakneck rate. Forget Facebook. The bad actors are the ones you cannot see.

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Sat May 26, 2018 6:18 pm

NextMil wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 6:14 pm
I agree. Sometimes it’s better to be hidden in plain sight. On the other hand the Chinese farms are gobbling up data from the socials at a breakneck rate. Forget Facebook. The bad actors are the ones you cannot see.
I oftentimes see the Baidu spider logged into this site too, but not at this moment.
"What'd ya expect in an opera, a happy ending?" -Bugs Bunny. "You gotta fight for your right to party!" -Beastie Boys

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sat May 26, 2018 6:22 pm

NextMil wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 6:14 pm
We also figure that the chickens and penguins and elephants all left the barn ages ago...

And one of the big "risks" now, no matter how "careful" one is... is one's friends/colleagues/relatives.... the ones who are not particularly careful.
Alas, we know who too many of them are, as we get spam/emails-with-malicious-links that are "from them", or at least using their names/e-addresses, although obviously they personally didn't sent those messages.
Either they have infected computers (or once did) or someone they know does, etc.

Point is, "we" are connected through others whom we know and (try to) trust, at least somewhat.
And it's too late to climb back into the cave with a supply of firewood...

Besides, we enjoy fine wine, and it would be terribly difficult to get that unless the "cave" were associated with a fine vineyard :wink:

RM

seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 » Sun May 27, 2018 9:08 am

As allure to in earlier responses, NSA folks must love this and laughing while wondering why someone didn’t think of this earlier; all this time we are wondering how to get into people’s home and it turns out people are willing to fork out money to do so.

JaneyLH

Post by JaneyLH » Sun May 27, 2018 11:30 am

My husband and I were given an Echo as a Christmas gift. We would never have thought of getting one, but we set it up and enjoy having it. We start every day saying good morning to Alexa and learning something interesting about what happened on that date. Alexa tells us what the weather will be and what the news is. We even take the Echo on vacation since we use it to access out Spotify account for unlimited musical entertainment of our choice. We enjoy Alexa’s silly jokes and limericks.

There is no danger of Alexa accidentally contacting someone if you do not turn on access to your phone contacts. This capability is turned off by default. I find my phone a better tool for communication, so I’ve never been tempted to ask Alexa to make calls or send messages. You also have the ability to delete every voice recording captured by Alexa. I worry about privacy in the 21st century but Alexa is way down the list of threats that keep me awake at night.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sun May 27, 2018 12:12 pm

Sidney wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 5:43 pm
I believe luddites destroyed machinery because they thought their jobs were at risk.
Yep. Luddites didn't fear technology. They didn't want a dangerous, min wage job. It would be like saying a protester who lit a car on fire was antiautomobile. Neo-Luddities are the ones that are antitech. It is tilting at windmills though to bring up this distinction these days.

As far as the NSA, in theory if they are spying on american citizens they are violating the law. So unless you are colluding with a foreign power, it is a nonissue:)

mouses

Post by mouses » Sun May 27, 2018 12:15 pm

MindBogler wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 8:21 pm
I don't feel sorry. Anyone who puts these devices in their home, unfortunately, deserves what they get. Would you invite a stranger into your private chambers? I think not, but we'll let an "innocuous" pieces of technology sit there with a microphone... Cell phones are just as bad, to the point that I'm considering going back to a land line. Why do we need to be connected to everyone 24/7? How did we ever manage before about 2005? :twisted:
A recording device in one's house, not totally under one's control, and connected to the Internet. What could go wrong :-)

Cell phones are not that bad, as one doesn't have to answer them or even leave them on nor enable text. Verizon is taking out copper landlines in my state, so that's that.

mouses

Post by mouses » Sun May 27, 2018 12:16 pm

randomguy wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 12:12 pm
As far as the NSA, in theory if they are spying on american citizens they are violating the law. So unless you are colluding with a foreign power, it is a nonissue:)
You forgot the sarcasm smiley.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon May 28, 2018 6:30 am

I removed some off-topic posts regarding the definition of "Luddite". This thread has run its course and is locked (derailed).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.