Hard Sided Laptop Protector

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Nearly A Moose

Hard Sided Laptop Protector

Post by Nearly A Moose »

Anyone have or know of a good hard-sided laptop protector? I bike to work with a messenger bag and carry my company-issued laptop each way. My messenger bag has a padded compartment for the laptop, so it's cushioned from shocks, but it sits right against my back, and I don't like the amount of flex and stress that seems to put on the laptop. I've had what IT diagnosed as a hard drive failure but in reality I think it was damage to the motherboard or the connections, because the hard drive worked when put into a new body.

So, I'm looking for something with hard, inflexible sides, but it doesn't need tons of of internal padding. The slimmer the better. A basic neoprene sleeve won't do - I want something to absorb the flexing and pressure from sitting against my back. For a few reasons, adding panniers isn't an option, and I'd rather not go back to using a traditional (sweat-inducing) backpack.

The best I've been able to find are Pelican brand cases, but the Pelican 1085cc, which I think is the right model, is 2.5" thick. That would take up a ton of space in the messenger bag. Laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad) is 3/4" thick.

Thanks in advance.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.
PFInterest

Re: Hard Sided Laptop Protector

Post by PFInterest »

why not just a thin flat sheet of plastic/wood/metal cut to the size of the compartment that would sit between the laptop and your back?
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Replace the hard drive with a solid-state drive for starters. :)

Also laptops with metallic bodies are available. I'm typing this now on a MacBook Air with SSD. I know that the Dells the family has had ages ago had plastic shells.

Sure, a new laptop is more expensive than a separate sheet of metal or polycarbonate, but it does have a benefit: It's a new laptop! :)
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Sure, there are lots of hard laptop cases available but are you sure that it was being in a backpack against your back that harmed the laptop rather than it just bouncing around a lot?

https://www.google.com/search?q=hard+la ... e&tbm=isch
SteveJ2

Post by SteveJ2 »

I did a lot of research on this about a year ago (also for a Lenovo Thinkpad), and decided to go with Pelican. Their cases are legitimate, and other companies don't provide the same level of protection. That being said, if you're willing to compromise on protection, the Wirecutter has reviews:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... ves-cases/
Topic Author
Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose »

Thanks. I saw the wirecutter reviews and considered the Thule case, but it seems bulky with only okay protection. The pelican seems strong but also bulky. It's a work-supplied laptop, and I can't roll my own. (of course, my personal 2013 Macbook Pro has never had any issues, knock on wood). It of course could be the jostling, but something tells me it's flexing of the case, possibly slowly pulling connections loose over time. Thanks for the suggestions. If anyone has a good model they've used or a good website that might be focused on backpackers, world travelers, etc., please point me there.
Topic Author
Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose »

SteveJ2 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 6:59 pm I did a lot of research on this about a year ago (also for a Lenovo Thinkpad), and decided to go with Pelican. Their cases are legitimate, and other companies don't provide the same level of protection. That being said, if you're willing to compromise on protection, the Wirecutter has reviews:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... ves-cases/
Do you think you could fit the Pelican in a standard-looking laptop compartment in a messenger bag? I have a Peak Design camera messenger bag, in case you've seen one. But picture just your standard pocket for a laptop to slide into. Is the Pelican actually 2.5" wide like it says online?
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Nearly A Moose wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 1:01 pm Anyone have or know of a good hard-sided laptop protector? I bike to work with a messenger bag and carry my company-issued laptop each way. My messenger bag has a padded compartment for the laptop, so it's cushioned from shocks, but it sits right against my back, and I don't like the amount of flex and stress that seems to put on the laptop. I've had what IT diagnosed as a hard drive failure but in reality I think it was damage to the motherboard or the connections, because the hard drive worked when put into a new body.

So, I'm looking for something with hard, inflexible sides, but it doesn't need tons of of internal padding. The slimmer the better. A basic neoprene sleeve won't do - I want something to absorb the flexing and pressure from sitting against my back. For a few reasons, adding panniers isn't an option, and I'd rather not go back to using a traditional (sweat-inducing) backpack.

The best I've been able to find are Pelican brand cases, but the Pelican 1085cc, which I think is the right model, is 2.5" thick. That would take up a ton of space in the messenger bag. Laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad) is 3/4" thick.

Thanks in advance.
have you checked EBay? 100s of the very item you're looking for.
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.