Decision points on new Iphone

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
tenkuky
Posts: 484
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:28 pm

Decision points on new Iphone

Post by tenkuky » Thu May 24, 2018 11:43 am

Decided to spring for an IPhone 7 or 8 (not interested in X) to upgrade an old (gulp) 4 that's still working but has limited update and app capability.
A friend stated that a newer version takes better advantage of the depreciation cycle and support but I'm wondering what is the ROI logic behind this.
The cost difference (purchasing outright) is $150 in favor of the 7.
Is there such a thing as a "version longevity" and so the cost difference is moot?
Would not trade/sell it in less than 4-5 years, and then would upgrade to a 1-version-behind latest phone anyway.
Forgive me if my question is obtuse. I found no attraction (to me) for features differences between the two, so strictly cost/ROI/longevity decision.

Jack FFR1846
Posts: 7649
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am

Re: Decision points on new Iphone

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu May 24, 2018 11:57 am

This really depends on what you need. What support have you used with your 4? I have a 4S and have never needed any support. If there are apps that you want to use, can you simply update your ios and then get the apps? Yah, I know that once you're over ios 7.1 that the factory supported speed slow down comes in, but if you want many of the newer apps, you'll just have to put up with it.

ROI.....hmmmm. I looked through phones available all the way back to 4 and I guess I'd say that whatever is cheaper will cost less in the long run.

I've yet to have anyone give me a specific, concrete example of what any newer iPhone buys me beyond what my 4S gives me.

Get off my lawn.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Glockenspiel
Posts: 504
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:20 pm

Re: Decision points on new Iphone

Post by Glockenspiel » Thu May 24, 2018 12:01 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:57 am


I've yet to have anyone give me a specific, concrete example of what any newer iPhone buys me beyond what my 4S gives me.
A camera capable of much better quality images, if you're into taking photos with your phone. A much faster processor.

ianferrel
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 5:27 pm

Re: Decision points on new Iphone

Post by ianferrel » Thu May 24, 2018 12:07 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:57 am
Yah, I know that once you're over ios 7.1 that the factory supported speed slow down comes in, but if you want many of the newer apps, you'll just have to put up with it.

...

I've yet to have anyone give me a specific, concrete example of what any newer iPhone buys me beyond what my 4S gives me.
"Runs faster" isn't specific or concrete enough? :D

SpaceMonkey
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 12:19 am
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Decision points on new Iphone

Post by SpaceMonkey » Thu May 24, 2018 12:07 pm

If you are generally satisfied with the experience of the iPhone 4S and mostly worried about support for the OS and apps, you should also consider the iPhone SE, which is cheaper than either the 7 or 8 and fully supports the latest iOS. It's also smaller than either the 7 or 8 (closer to the size of your 4S), which you might also appreciate.

Note that Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference is taking place on June 4-8, so it may be worth waiting a few weeks to see if any updated iPhone models are announced there (an updated SE being the most likely).

tenkuky
Posts: 484
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:28 pm

Re: Decision points on new Iphone

Post by tenkuky » Thu May 24, 2018 12:11 pm

SpaceMonkey wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 12:07 pm
If you are generally satisfied with the experience of the iPhone 4S and mostly worried about support for the OS and apps, you should also consider the iPhone SE, which is cheaper than either the 7 or 8 and fully supports the latest iOS. It's also smaller than either the 7 or 8 (closer to the size of your 4S), which you might also appreciate.

Note that Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference is taking place on June 4-8, so it may be worth waiting a few weeks to see if any updated iPhone models are announced there (an updated SE being the most likely).
Thanks!
Procrastination is an art with me, and this gives me a reason to do so!
Considered the SE, but same concern about ROI/longevity of a newer vs. older version came up.

Katietsu
Posts: 1551
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:48 am

Re: Decision points on new Iphone

Post by Katietsu » Thu May 24, 2018 12:15 pm

Your friend is probably referring to the idea that the 8 will be able to run the latest iOS and apps for longer than the 7. The 8 has the same performance as the X which is much improved over the 7. Also, the 8 you are looking at probably has twice as much storage as the 7.

So, if it turns out that you want a new phone two years sooner with the 7, you might not actually save anything on a per year of ownership basis by buying the cheaper phone.

pochax
Posts: 1329
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:40 am

Re: Decision points on new Iphone

Post by pochax » Thu May 24, 2018 12:18 pm

if you have already decided the decision is between 7 vs. 8, i would go with 8 primarily for the upgraded processor (the same bionic chip that is in the iphone X). it is substantially faster than previous chips and will provide you more longevity than the prior version. $150 worth? it is hard to predict, but phones are only getting more expensive.

if you are willing to go android, you can save a lot of money, but i know that's not your question.

LiterallyIronic
Posts: 768
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:36 am

Re: Decision points on new Iphone

Post by LiterallyIronic » Thu May 24, 2018 12:18 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:57 am
I've yet to have anyone give me a specific, concrete example of what any newer iPhone buys me beyond what my 4S gives me.

Get off my lawn.
I have a phone of the same age - the LG MyTouch Q that I bought in January 2012. I've been thinking about replacing it, because of these specific, concrete items: 1) It would be nice to get data service better than 2G; 2) It would be nice to get cell service in rural areas (supposedly T-Mobile's new 600MHz band does this); 3) It would be nice to have a battery that lasts longer than 20 minutes of talk or 10 minutes of Internet; and 4) It would be nice to have a front-facing camera. But to get those, I'd have to give up my physical keyboard. Haven't decided if it's worth it.

scooterdog
Posts: 154
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:42 am
Location: Potomac MD

Re: Decision points on new Iphone

Post by scooterdog » Thu May 24, 2018 1:56 pm

Went through the same calculus (iPhone 7 vs. 8) a few months ago, upgrading from a prior employer-provided iPhone 6 with a crippling 16GB of memory. It was terrible, as I kept running out of space.

I ended up going to the Plus, and decided on the iPhone 7 Plus as the difference between the 7 and 8 models didn't justify the $150 differential.

One other item was that I was buying 'pre-owned' (via Swappa, had lots of good experience with them) and you cannot purchase the huge 256GB 7 or 7 plus models from Apple anymore. Seems like a marketing move when the 8, 8 Plus and X models came out - they wanted their 'flagship' phones to have the option of the highest capacity.

Was able to get a less expensive phone (the 7 Plus) with the larger capacity (256 GB) and in my case the photos/videos look awesome with the optical image stabilization (amazing how you can take 1080p video thats tack-sharp from a handheld phone). Being water-resistant is also a great upgrade from the 4/4S days, which I've had my share of incidents!

I would not be too afraid of a 7 being obsoleted - think about it, the iPhone 6S is still being sold as new from the Apple store, first sold in September 2015, almost 3 years ago.

PFInterest
Posts: 2137
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:25 pm

Re: Decision points on new Iphone

Post by PFInterest » Thu May 24, 2018 2:03 pm

tenkuky wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:43 am
Decided to spring for an IPhone 7 or 8 (not interested in X) to upgrade an old (gulp) 4 that's still working but has limited update and app capability.
A friend stated that a newer version takes better advantage of the depreciation cycle and support but I'm wondering what is the ROI logic behind this.
The cost difference (purchasing outright) is $150 in favor of the 7.
Is there such a thing as a "version longevity" and so the cost difference is moot?
Would not trade/sell it in less than 4-5 years, and then would upgrade to a 1-version-behind latest phone anyway.
Forgive me if my question is obtuse. I found no attraction (to me) for features differences between the two, so strictly cost/ROI/longevity decision.
wait till apple announces their next phone and pick up the 8.

inbox788
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Decision points on new Iphone

Post by inbox788 » Thu May 24, 2018 2:13 pm

tenkuky wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 12:11 pm
SpaceMonkey wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 12:07 pm
If you are generally satisfied with the experience of the iPhone 4S and mostly worried about support for the OS and apps, you should also consider the iPhone SE, which is cheaper than either the 7 or 8 and fully supports the latest iOS. It's also smaller than either the 7 or 8 (closer to the size of your 4S), which you might also appreciate.

Note that Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference is taking place on June 4-8, so it may be worth waiting a few weeks to see if any updated iPhone models are announced there (an updated SE being the most likely).
Thanks!
Procrastination is an art with me, and this gives me a reason to do so!
Considered the SE, but same concern about ROI/longevity of a newer vs. older version came up.
I'm also a champion for the SE. Forget ROI, it will blow the 7 or 8 out of the water. Cost of SE is around $150-200 for 32-64GB version. In a year or two, the value of the 7 or 8 will drop by that much if not more than that (estimating around $300+ and $600+). As far as latest iOS, there's a chance the 5S might get the next update, so I think you're safe for another 2-3 years with the SE.

https://swappa.com/faq/buy/device_condition
https://swappa.com/buy/stock/15625/view
https://swappa.com/listing/GWG421/view
https://swappa.com/buy/apple-iphone-se-a1662-unlocked

There's a tiny chance I may be proved wrong, but I don't think anything at WWDC will impact your decision making.

I'd make the decision on phone and screen size and weight. Water resistance is the biggest benefit IMO of the newer phones. While the 7 and 8 have many new features, I think the SE is the best choice, and can't think of any good reason why you'd pay about double for an 8 for features you're unlike to use.

There's a case to be made for the iPhone 7 at this price (Sprint $260) if this works for you.
https://swappa.com/listing/AMB384/view

User avatar
Alexa9
Posts: 1503
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:41 am

Re: Decision points on new Iphone

Post by Alexa9 » Thu May 24, 2018 2:19 pm

I would get the 7. It's a good size and a bargain if you get it used on eBay.

Jack FFR1846
Posts: 7649
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am

Re: Decision points on new Iphone

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu May 24, 2018 2:21 pm

Glockenspiel wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 12:01 pm
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:57 am


I've yet to have anyone give me a specific, concrete example of what any newer iPhone buys me beyond what my 4S gives me.
A camera capable of much better quality images, if you're into taking photos with your phone. A much faster processor.
The only pictures I take are for craigslist. Or my receipts for my expense reports. It works fine. How does a much faster processor help me (I work for a microprocessor company and most customers don't buy the fastest possible processor because it's not needed for their application). There's nothing I can figure out with the phone that needs to be faster.
"Runs faster" isn't specific or concrete enough? :D
Nope. When I hit send, my text goes. I never watch video on my phone. My battery easily lasts 24 hours. I receive emails. I can make and receive phone calls. I can search the web for answers. When I set the alarm for 6am, at 6am, it makes noise. I've yet to find anything that is slower than my eyes.



The cost for my 4S initially? $0
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

FreemanB
Posts: 257
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 5:55 am

Re: Decision points on new Iphone

Post by FreemanB » Thu May 24, 2018 2:59 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 2:21 pm
Nope. When I hit send, my text goes. I never watch video on my phone. My battery easily lasts 24 hours. I receive emails. I can make and receive phone calls. I can search the web for answers. When I set the alarm for 6am, at 6am, it makes noise. I've yet to find anything that is slower than my eyes.
I have to ask, if these are really your only uses for a smart phone, than why are you only deciding between Iphone models? There are several Android phones that would give you the same features as an Iphone 7 or 8 for much lower prices.

pennylane
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:22 am

Re: Decision points on new Iphone

Post by pennylane » Thu May 24, 2018 3:25 pm

Why don't you buy a Nokia or get one of those free phones they offer? Why does it have to be an Iphone? Sounds like you're over analyzing an outdated phone.

I buy a new phone every 3 years and this year I happened to land on a 10. My work phone is a 7, if I was going to spend the money I would definitely cough up the extra cash for the 10.. It is MUCH better.

inbox788
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Decision points on new Iphone

Post by inbox788 » Thu May 24, 2018 3:55 pm

FreemanB wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 2:59 pm
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 2:21 pm
Nope. When I hit send, my text goes. I never watch video on my phone. My battery easily lasts 24 hours. I receive emails. I can make and receive phone calls. I can search the web for answers. When I set the alarm for 6am, at 6am, it makes noise. I've yet to find anything that is slower than my eyes.
I have to ask, if these are really your only uses for a smart phone, than why are you only deciding between Iphone models? There are several Android phones that would give you the same features as an Iphone 7 or 8 for much lower prices.
Really? I've been looking for something comparable to an iPhone 7, but SMALLER and LIGHTER. Screen has to be at least as sharp and it can't be slow, especially browsing, so needs decent processor. I've been unable to find a good SMALL android phone that's not a "flagship" with gigantic display. Looking for something FAST around the size of an iPhone SE and SMALLER than an iPhone 7. Any recommendations are welcome.

I hope the iPhone X SE rumors does become a reality.

theplayer11
Posts: 471
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: Decision points on new Iphone

Post by theplayer11 » Thu May 24, 2018 6:08 pm

SE is the best bang for your buck at $150...IF you can deal with a smaller screen. Paying $650+ is ridiculous for a phone IMO..

ddurrett896
Posts: 850
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: Decision points on new Iphone

Post by ddurrett896 » Thu May 24, 2018 6:47 pm

I no you said no X, but since you’re keeping for 4-5 years I’d splurge just for the the face recognition. It’s a DREAM when logging into websites!

02nz
Posts: 471
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Decision points on new Iphone

Post by 02nz » Thu May 24, 2018 7:17 pm

I would suggest OP also consider the 6S, maybe used. I've used every recent version of the iPhone, and the jump from 6 to 6S in processing speed was substantial, because of a boost in RAM (not to be confused with the amount of storage), although any of these phones will feel a million years ahead of a 4S. The difference between the 6S and 7, or even 6S and 8, is much smaller. The main feature the 8 has over the others is wireless charging; if you don't care about that, get the 7 or 6S.

Post Reply