Just had windows installed..one of them with scratches..

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
z91

Just had windows installed..one of them with scratches..

Post by z91 » Tue May 22, 2018 7:52 pm

The installers just left my house about 20 minutes ago. I called them up because I see some scratches in one of the windows now. They told me to give them my information so they can contact the manufacturer (Milgard) and do a service call. From looking at the scratches, they could be factory or installer-induced, I don't know.

In any case, it seems strange to have them make me deal with the manufacturer given I just had these installed hours ago. They did a good job otherwise..I paid half with my credit card and the other half is still pending.

On the one hand, I could be a "tough" customer, but really, just holding them to the contract, and tell them I won't pay the other half until they resolve this to my satisfaction.

On the other hand, I can see why this is "normal" since it took over a month to order the window, and I'm sure they won't want to wait another month (possibly..since they could likely expedite this) for the replacement and then payment. The other windows they installed look fine, including large patio windows, so I'm leaning towards this being an issue from the factory.

If I hold payment they'd likely fix this more quickly, but I'm sure that'd just damage the relationship with them in case I ever decide to use them again, and they'd probably bring out their crankiest installer to fix this, There's also the unlikely but possible risk of them filing a lien. Whether or not that's deserved is another story.

The contract I signed has a couple of general clauses, ""all material is guaranteed to be as specified" and "payment due upon completion"

I paid 50% up front as a deposit. 40% is on installation/material delivery, and 10% on completion. Should I consider holding back 10%?

The scratches aren't crazy, but I definitely feel them with my fingernails and I do want it fixed at some point. I'm leaning towards just waiting for Milgard to come out and fix it; failing that, I'll do a chargeback on my credit card (hopefully they come out within 90 days..) and push hard for the installers to fix this on their dime. Any thoughts? Am I missing anything?

bob60014

Re: Just had windows installed..one of them with scratches..

Post by bob60014 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:09 pm

If like Pella, there will be a serial number on the window, just call Milgard explain the situation provide the serial and they should be able to order a exact replacement. They may have someone come out to verify the damage. I had a replacement in a week, no charge.

Post by 123 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:42 pm

Milgard provides a "Full Lifetime Warranty including Parts & Labor". I suspect the installer wants to earn a fee from Milgard for replacing glass or a window. They don't want it to come from their own pocket (I don't blame them).
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

ionball

Post by ionball » Tue May 22, 2018 9:35 pm

There were scratches on a couple Marvin windows that I discovered after installation a couple years ago. I contacted the dealer where I bought the windows. They scheduled a service tech to inspect and after that flaws were verified, replacements were ordered and installed a few days later. The installer was not involved in the process. No charge and a surprisingly stress free experience.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Tue May 22, 2018 9:51 pm

I installed anlin windows on a remodel. One of the other workmen broke a small bathroom window a week later.
It was replaced under the lifetime warranty without any issue.

Another window had a minor bubble in it. They dropped of that replacement too.

I presume you will have similar luck with milguard.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Tue May 22, 2018 10:03 pm

In many areas (most?) Milgard has their own warranty service crew that will come out and replace the scratched glass under warranty.

Here's their warranty page:
https://www.milgard.com/warranty/full-lifetime-warranty

At the bottom of the page is a link to request service. I'd send them a note and make sure you're covered and that they will take care of it under warranty before paying the balance to the contractor.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

z91

Post by z91 » Wed May 23, 2018 12:46 am

Interesting. I guess this is the normal course of business. Good thing I asked before I did anything rash..

wilshuer

Post by wilshuer » Wed May 23, 2018 5:21 am

If that noticeable I would hesitate to use that contractor again, they should have seen the scratches before installation. Seems an easy push off to the manufacturer. I would expect the installer to either handle it as a customer service, or have not installed it in the first place.

msk

Post by msk » Wed May 23, 2018 6:01 am

I noticed that in the Third World replacing glass is quite trivial, in cost and effort. You call a window fabricator (it's not a particularly highly skilled job) and he comes to measure up the glass required and next day or in a few hours he returns to slip in the new glass. Yes, even if double glazed and sealed. On the other hand in the US there is all that rigamarole of ordering from the factory, etc. and then you get charged several hundred $ for a double-glazed panel that costs only a $100 in total to fabricate and 5 minutes to install. Might as well be particularly fussy when paying that much :annoyed

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Wed May 23, 2018 6:31 am

z91 wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 7:52 pm
The contract I signed has a couple of general clauses, ""all material is guaranteed to be as specified" and "payment due upon completion"

I paid 50% up front as a deposit. 40% is on installation/material delivery, and 10% on completion. Should I consider holding back 10%?

Any thoughts? Am I missing anything?
Job isn't done and material isn't being guaranteed.

Hold the 10% and tell them if they can't correct right away, you will correct it thru the manufacture and keep the 10%.

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed May 23, 2018 6:35 am

Don't know where you purchased your windows.
As mentioned Pella has serial numbers on windows we had installed by Lowes.
4 of them had minor imperfections,,,Lowes replaced,no questions asked.

:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

FlyAF

Post by FlyAF » Wed May 23, 2018 7:26 am

This is totally normal. My installer found a scratch in one of our windows (I never would have seen it) and gave me the factory contact info to call them and make them aware. The factory then had it's own people come out and replace it. No reason to act a fool, this is how the process works.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Wed May 23, 2018 11:14 am

msk wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 6:01 am
I noticed that in the Third World replacing glass is quite trivial, in cost and effort. You call a window fabricator (it's not a particularly highly skilled job) and he comes to measure up the glass required and next day or in a few hours he returns to slip in the new glass. Yes, even if double glazed and sealed. On the other hand in the US there is all that rigamarole of ordering from the factory, etc. and then you get charged several hundred $ for a double-glazed panel that costs only a $100 in total to fabricate and 5 minutes to install. Might as well be particularly fussy when paying that much :annoyed
There are many companies that will do exactly as you describe - just google "window glass replacement."

My reason for suggesting contacting Milgard (the manufacturer) was for no-cost warranty replacement since the widows in all likelihood have a lifetime warranty on the glass regardless of what the installer guarantees.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

z91

Post by z91 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:39 pm

So, I had the window replaced and it was pretty painless. I did have to take some time off work which was annoying (moreso to my boss..), but otherwise it was done fairly quickly and no additional issues were introduced. I didn't realize how easy it was to do, and I now know it just takes a couple of hand tools and 5 minutes to enter into someone's window frame without breaking the glass. All the work was done from the outside.

The other issues I have are:
1) 1 window screen has a tiny tear in it (pinky nail sized..) and another has a slightly bent frame
2) Patio handle has a chip on the interior side, another has a bunch of scratches on the exterior side.

I called up Milgard and they wouldn't cover these because they said I needed to tell them within 5 business days of installation. The thing is, I did tell the contractor immediately, but they never relayed the information to Milgard. I called the contractor 3 weeks ago about these issues and they said they'd "be in touch" but I didn't hear anything back. I called again today and they said they'd get back to me again..

If they don't do anything I am pretty close to doing a chargeback on the last 10% of the job since the materials they installed are defective, and that Milgard won't cover it. These are pretty minor issues, but it was a big job to me and am pretty upset it wasn't done correctly. They didn't handle the materials very well during installation and it shows (lots of minor nicks/scratches on the vinyl frame). No idea how these folks had such good reviews.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:04 pm

It's all about the installer!! The good ones are worth every penny.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:07 pm

As a contractor builder, I would replace the window with another, then take the defective one and settle with the supply house. The homeowner shouldn't have to deal with it so soon after install.
A conscientious builder would inspect the windows before installing and after to make sure it was okay when bought and not damaged by the installers.
I would with-hold the 50% and have the installers replace the messed up window and deal with his supplier himself. If he's reputable and his supplier is reputable, it should go smoothly.
Talk to the installer/contractor and straighten it out.
The longer you wait, the more things go South.
j