Bird Nest in bathroom exhaust fan vent

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ved

Bird Nest in bathroom exhaust fan vent

Post by ved » Tue May 22, 2018 2:30 pm

Hi all,

I noticed that bird(s) were trying to enter my 2nd floor bathroom exhaust vent.
So, I went into the attic, and looked in flexible exhaust pipe - sure enough there's a reasonably big nest, deep into the vent.
I tried to remove it, and was able to take some of it.
But, I don't have the proper tools (whatever they maybe) to completely remove the nest.

Who do I contact to have it removed? Any idea how much the cost would be (I am in Michigan).
And then, how do I prevent this from happening again?

Thank you in advance.

barnaclebob

Re: Bird Nest in bathroom exhaust fan vent

Post by barnaclebob » Tue May 22, 2018 2:33 pm

If you can reach some of it, I'm sure you can fashion a coat hanger to grab the rest or send a shop vac down the hole. You don't need to get every last twig. Buy hardware cloth (1/2" or 1/4" wire mesh) and cover the entrance with it. You can find a roll of it near the fencing in the garden section of the lowes or home depot.

indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan » Tue May 22, 2018 2:45 pm

Coincidentally, I am facing the same issue. I just ordered the Linteater and hope that it works

https://www.amazon.com/Gardus-RLE202-Li ... =linteater

You can watch some youtube videos to see how it works.
My signature has been deleted.

Globalviewer58

Post by Globalviewer58 » Tue May 22, 2018 3:23 pm

To keep the birds out permanently you can install a backdraft damper like this one: https://www.build.com/continental-fan-m ... gI6q_D_BwE

You might call a siding company or handyman to install. I did this in 2 exhaust fans. Measure the exhaust pipe diameter to ensure you order the right size. I removed the foam gasket from outer circumference and then pressed into the duct at the outer wall. Silicone caulk seals it in place. The product is intended as an energy conservation tool to keep hot or cold air from flowing back into the conditioned space. The butterfly valve design ensures that it only opens when air pressure from the fan forces it open. No more birds looking for a free perch.

PVW

Post by PVW » Tue May 22, 2018 3:27 pm

Remove the section of flexible duct and replace it.

sport

Post by sport » Tue May 22, 2018 3:50 pm

I had this problem with a dryer vent. I had a vent cleaning company vacuum out the vent. However, the birds returned the next year. So, I had the vent cleaned out again. Then, they installed a plastic "cage" over the vent opening. It is now impossible for the birds to enter. The cost to clean one vent was about $100. The cage was another $20 for labor and materials.

jwkde

Post by jwkde » Tue May 22, 2018 5:28 pm

just had the same issue. even with the damper door closed the bird would hover and lift the door up with his/her beak. had a dryer vent cleaner company come out and clean it out completely and then install a plastic 'grate' over the door. About $150 total and it took him about 30 minutes. My dryer vent is a pretty long run so there was also quite a bit of lint that was cleaned out. So well worth it from a fire prevention point of view also

gliderpilot567

Post by gliderpilot567 » Wed May 23, 2018 7:57 pm

Even after you remove it, a very coarse grate or mesh, or even some wires crisscrossed across the opening, is recommended. I had a bird nest problem once and removed then (then empty) nest. One day later, I noticed three little eggs had been laid where the nest had once been. Mama bird may still return to the location and lay eggs if you don't put in a physical barrier.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Wed May 23, 2018 8:28 pm

I thought Google bought Nest. Didn’t think they made a bathroom exhaust vent fan, but it if they did, it would be WiFi and smart, sensing how fast the fan had to run depending on actual measured conditions. It could text you when it turned on, or more importantly, when it turned off.

Wait, you said Bird Nest...never mind above. The coat hanger and shop vacuum mentioned above should work if the nest isn’t too deep. Otherwise you might have to climb up to the attic and remove a section. Mesh covering should do the trick about returning birds.

Prov227

Post by Prov227 » Wed May 23, 2018 10:25 pm

I cut up chicken wire I already had into a square that fit over the opening and attached to the vent hood with small alligator clips. Had to do this on two or three exhaust vents around the house where birds were outsmarting the flap and getting in.
"...and the borrower is slave to the lender." -Proverbs 22:7

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Wed May 23, 2018 11:29 pm

Family on my daughter's soccer team was homeless last year after their house burned down.

Turns out that the bathroom vent fan caught fire when it was left on and the electrical circuit short-circuited and ignited some kind of debris from an animal nest that was in the vent pipe.

So yes, deal with it properly.