Babymoon - Hawaii Recommendations/Expected Costs

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
HardHitter

Babymoon - Hawaii Recommendations/Expected Costs

Post by HardHitter » Tue May 22, 2018 1:21 pm

Wife and I will be having our first baby in November. We are looking to do our "babymoon" in Hawaii and are looking for suggestions and estimated costs for it. It will be my wife's first time going to Hawaii and all she really is wanting to do is relax/enjoy the beach and maybe do a spa item. I have not much experience other than when my parents took me when I was younger, so I thought I'd poll the broader audience here to help out and what associated costs I should have for the budget. Probably going to go for 3-4 nights.

What island, what hotels, what activities, etc.

Chicago60

Re: Babymoon - Hawaii Recommendations/Expected Costs

Post by Chicago60 » Tue May 22, 2018 1:41 pm

Without greater detail, the question is really broad and difficult to answer. Are you flying from the west coast, where flights to Hawaii will be significantly cheaper than from the east coast, for example. Do you want to stay at a Four Seasons? An Airbnb? For simply chilling on the beach and not more, I would think you will find great beaches on each island so I'd consider focusing on the easiest non-stop flight from your nearest hotel and work from that starting point.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue May 22, 2018 2:07 pm

Also, if you search, there have been many threads on this topic.

KT785

Post by KT785 » Tue May 22, 2018 2:46 pm

HardHitter wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 1:21 pm
Wife and I will be having our first baby in November. We are looking to do our "babymoon" in Hawaii and are looking for suggestions and estimated costs for it. It will be my wife's first time going to Hawaii and all she really is wanting to do is relax/enjoy the beach and maybe do a spa item. I have not much experience other than when my parents took me when I was younger, so I thought I'd poll the broader audience here to help out and what associated costs I should have for the budget. Probably going to go for 3-4 nights.

Given you'll only be there for 3-4 nights and this is your wife's first time, I'd just go to Oahu so you can do both beaches and/or touristy Hawaii stuff as needed. Do be mindful that, depending where you're flying from, the jet lag on the first day (or two) can impact how much you'll be able to do . . . and her being pregnant can magnify the exhaustion.

For beaches, I'd rent a car a head to the North Shore if you're okay with the touristy scene. Haleʻiwa is worth checking out (get some shaved ice) and I'd also recommend checking out the beaches near Banzai Pipeline, specifically 'Ehukai Beach Park; every time my wife and I have gone to Oahu, we always stop by that park and have much of the beach to ourselves, at least during weekdays (YMMV). There are also often a variety of food trucks in this area worth checking out.

If you're looking for beach that's less touristy, check out “Pray for Sets” Beach (goes by different names :wink: , but Google it). When we were there two years ago, the water was calm and clear, and we had the place mostly to ourselves; it's a very different vibe than the North Shore as it's frequented by locals more than tourists.

Also, if you've not done it before, I'd strongly encourage you to visit Pearl Harbor. It may be the only "touristy" thing the two of you do on Hawaii (this trip) but it's definitely worth it to stop by the USS Arizona Memorial. I'd also recommend touring the USS Missouri--separate from the National Park Service maintained Pearl Harbor sites--as it's an incredible experience . . . and my grandfather served aboard her so it's extra-special to me.

Aloha!

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Tue May 22, 2018 3:35 pm

HardHitter wrote:

If you are just wanting to go the beach and relax/enjoy... There are cheaper options than Hawaii I would guess...

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Tue May 22, 2018 3:38 pm

Where are you flying from? Being from Chicago - the last thing I'd want to do while pregnant is a 7+ hour flight to Hawaii.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

KT785

Post by KT785 » Tue May 22, 2018 3:40 pm

tesuzuki2002 wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 3:35 pm
HardHitter wrote:

If you are just wanting to go the beach and relax/enjoy... There are cheaper options than Hawaii I would guess...
I suspect Zika may be a concern for some of those cheaper options since they're expecting . . .

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Tue May 22, 2018 3:42 pm

Ok... I had to google what a "babymoon" is.

One suggestion... be flexible in your planning. The last couple months for us involved a LOT of unplanned dr. appointments and even a couple observation visit's to the hospital.. and my wife spent the last month or so on doctor ordered bedrest.

As to Hawaii - I've only ever been to Oahu and Maui. I would lean toward one of the quieter islands if relaxing beach time is what you want... i.e. not Honolulu/Waikiki.

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Tue May 22, 2018 3:47 pm

I had no idea a "babymoon" was a thing. What will they think to celebrate next? :-)

An unsolicited opinion: relaxation can be had for far cheaper. If your wife happens to be too tired/sore to really enjoy it, the costs of travel to Hawaii may be regretted.

If it were me and if a baby celebration is really needed, I'd wait until after the child is born (for a few months) and then find a family member who really likes you to watch the baby for a few days. Go then. You'll enjoy the respite more.

Final thought: I'm assuming you've fully prepared for the hospital bill after birth? If not, this should be included in your decision to babymoon.

DarthSage

Post by DarthSage » Tue May 22, 2018 5:22 pm

3-4 nights in Hawaii is hardly worth the effort, especially from the East Coast. I would save Hawaii for when you can go for longer. I flew there once from Chicago--that flight was excruciatingly long, and I wasn't pregnant.

I agree with the PP that your wife could relax someplace closer and cheaper.

hightower

Post by hightower » Tue May 22, 2018 5:36 pm

HardHitter wrote:

For a first time trip to Hawaii, I recommend the big island. It has the most variety in terms of landscapes and things to do and see.
Congrats on the baby! My wife and I are expecting our first in October. We had a baby moon in Maui in March!

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Tue May 22, 2018 7:50 pm

Oahu is fine for beaches, but very touristy and pricey. But pearl harbor memorial is a must. Been twice and was very moved each time. I've heard Maui is nice for just chilling.

BUT, if you're only going for a few nights and your wife just wants to chill on the beach and do a spa, i there are a lot of places in California or Florida that would do that better, more cheaply, and easier. We flew across the country for our babymoon, and my wife (6-7 mos) was extremely uncomfortable the entire flight. Also, while I hate to think of this kind of thing, plenty of airports to touch down in an emergency if over the continental us. Not so much over the Pacific.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

Trev H

Post by Trev H » Tue May 22, 2018 8:06 pm

We did our honeymoon there in 1990...

3 days in Oahu - Waikiki Beach... the beach was great, but right across the street was big city sky scrapers. We stayed at the Hyatt.
4 days in Maui - Stayed at a Westin Maui - Excellent. Awesome beaches, much more laid back and relaxing.

If I could only do one, I would choose Maui.

Trev H

frugalecon

Post by frugalecon » Tue May 22, 2018 8:14 pm

I have only been to Hawaii once, and then only to Kauai, which I loved. It was exactly what I wanted, very relaxing and laid back. Flew nonstop from LA to Lihue. But 3-4 nights would not have been enough. Unless I lived on the West Coast and could get a nonstop flight, I wouldn’t do it for such a short time.

Cunobelinus

Post by Cunobelinus » Tue May 22, 2018 8:44 pm

hightower wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 5:36 pm
HardHitter wrote:

For a first time trip to Hawaii, I recommend the big island. It has the most variety in terms of landscapes and things to do and see.
Congrats on the baby! My wife and I are expecting our first in October. We had a baby moon in Maui in March!
I wouldn't plan on visiting Big Island. We don't know how long Kilauea is going to erupt and put out sulfur dioxide in the air. Maui is fantastic in the Ka'anapali, or anywhere really, and Kauai's south shore (Po'ipu) and the Princeville area are really quite nice. Hanalei isn't an option at the moment due to the flooding recovery efforts.

Your trip is short and I wouldn't try to do more than one island.

OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 » Wed May 23, 2018 7:04 am

I simply would not travel that distance to relax while pregnant for 3 or 4 nights. Simply not worth it. You'd probably need a minimum of 7 to 8 nights in Hawaii to make it worth your while. You didn't mention where you live, but we've done that trip before with three kids, and I simply cannot tell you what a long haul it is just to get there. Jet lag is going to set in.

I would do something on the mainland. Southern California comes to mind or northern/western Florida along the Gulf (I've never been but Destin seems nice.) Splurge on a nice hotel. Flights shouldn't be that expensive.

If you decide to go to Hawaii, I would think you would want to be near fairly decent medical care. That would be on Oahu.
Last edited by OnTrack2020 on Wed May 23, 2018 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Wed May 23, 2018 7:11 am

Ill echo what someone else said...I cannot recommend heading to hawaii for a few days. Its just too far.

Ive been there 4 times from the east coast...we usually go around 2 weeks each time...thats the bare minimum for us. You blow 2 days traveling there...1 day there and 1 day home.

Rick Rock

Post by Rick Rock » Wed May 23, 2018 7:21 am

Ugh. Almost the full consensus on this board is so lame... "It would be more relaxing to sit on my couch and watch Netflix, bah."

Perhaps if you don't like to travel, don't comment on a thread where the OP is looking for recommendations?

/rant

Focus: my wife and I chose Maui for the babymoon and stayed at the Andaz in Wailea for 6 nights. Highly recommended; amazing hotel with A+ snorkeling right there and excellent brunch/dinner options (Ka'naa Kitchen and Morimoto as a couple examples).

A week was the right amount of time for us and gave us the opportunity to explore at our own pace -- for the more ambitious folks, you can do the Road to Hana, Haleakala, etc. but we were fine exploring the upcountry, spending a little time in old town Lahaina, and enjoying the ocean and sun.

Hyatt had a ridiculous offer for their credit card which we took advantage of; the 2 free nights and generous points after focused spending for a few months covered most of the nightly rate.

We used UA miles from Chicago and broke the trip up in SF on the way there and LA on the way back. I recommend this for babymooners from the Midwest/East Coast if you don't have points or cash to take advantage of lie flat seats from JFK, EWR, ATL or IAD.

So out of pocket - the rental car was most expensive ($250-ish IIRC) and you can probably do a bit better than we did.

Enjoy the trip, the sun and everything Hawaii has to offer! You'll have an amazing time.

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Wed May 23, 2018 7:22 am

If you are a Costco member, I would go on their website and look for a package for either- Turtle Bay Hilton on O'ahu or a Kapalua Gold unit on Maui. There are non-stops from Chicago to either location. Have fun!
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Wed May 23, 2018 7:47 am

Hawaii is amazing. Maui and Kauai are both awesome...I'd probably recommend Maui for a first trip.

But I also agree with the people saying 3/4 nights isn't enough. My wife and I honeymooned on Maui for 6 nights...definitely not enough time considering the length of the flights.

OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 » Wed May 23, 2018 7:53 am

Rick Rock wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 7:21 am
Ugh. Almost the full consensus on this board is so lame... "It would be more relaxing to sit on my couch and watch Netflix, bah."

Perhaps if you don't like to travel, don't comment on a thread where the OP is looking for recommendations?

/rant

Focus: my wife and I chose Maui for the babymoon and stayed at the Andaz in Wailea for 6 nights. Highly recommended; amazing hotel with A+ snorkeling right there and excellent brunch/dinner options (Ka'naa Kitchen and Morimoto as a couple examples).

The OP is looking to stay 3 to 4 nights. You stayed almost double the amount of time. The comments are realistic, not lame.
Last edited by OnTrack2020 on Wed May 23, 2018 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed May 23, 2018 7:55 am

HardHitter wrote:
Probably going to go for 3-4 nights.
As others have said that is too short a time for trip to Hawaii even if you are on the west coast.

Realistically three nights only means two days of beach time when you are not traveling.

If you want to go to Hawaii then figure out how to get some extra days for the trip.
HardHitter wrote:
all she really is wanting to do is relax/enjoy the beach and maybe do a spa item.
One thing to watch out for is that there are a lot of places in Hawaii where the coast is rocky or the beaches are very small. The pictures on the hotel website can be misleading so be sure to carefully research the specific beach where you will be staying.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Wed May 23, 2018 8:01 am

frugalecon wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 8:14 pm
I have only been to Hawaii once, and then only to Kauai, which I loved. It was exactly what I wanted, very relaxing and laid back. Flew nonstop from LA to Lihue. But 3-4 nights would not have been enough. Unless I lived on the West Coast and could get a nonstop flight, I wouldn’t do it for such a short time.
We love Kauai as well. I would however check carefully about accommodations and conditions. There was a massive rainstorm in mid-April that devastated the north shore of the island. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 557654002/

I haven't checked recently but there were reports of roads west of Hanalei all but gone, and Hanalei itself severely damaged.

The Big Island is another favorite. But, I'd second the concern re the Big Island with the volcano erupting, esp regards air quality.

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Wed May 23, 2018 9:19 am

Loik098 wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 3:47 pm
I had no idea a "babymoon" was a thing. What will they think to celebrate next? :-)

An unsolicited opinion: relaxation can be had for far cheaper. If your wife happens to be too tired/sore to really enjoy it, the costs of travel to Hawaii may be regretted.

If it were me and if a baby celebration is really needed, I'd wait until after the child is born (for a few months) and then find a family member who really likes you to watch the baby for a few days. Go then. You'll enjoy the respite more.

Final thought: I'm assuming you've fully prepared for the hospital bill after birth? If not, this should be included in your decision to babymoon.
A babymoon is not for the baby, it’s for the parents. Before we had our (dearly beloved) children, we took vacations. Now we take trips. This might well be the last chance you get in 20+ years to travel like adults. Make the most of it.

As for costs, a typical pregnancy will hit the full deductible (maybe even the out-of-pocket-max) well before birth.

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Wed May 23, 2018 9:45 am

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 9:19 am
Loik098 wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 3:47 pm

A babymoon is not for the baby, it’s for the parents. Before we had our (dearly beloved) children, we took vacations. Now we take trips. This might well be the last chance you get in 20+ years to travel like adults. Make the most of it.

As for costs, a typical pregnancy will hit the full deductible (maybe even the out-of-pocket-max) well before birth.
Yes, I guessed it was for the parents when OP mentioned a trip to Hawaii :-)

The trigger for it remains the same: a pregnancy. I guess some, like you, see it as the end of life as they know it and feel a sudden need to do a last hurrah. Others of us just saw having children as the next step in life and welcomed the new opportunity for family trips, having already taken many vacations before they ever came along. To each their own.

There may be typical pregnancies, but I don't know what a typical insurance is. Also, a "typical" pregnancy can turn atypical in a hurry. I wouldn't bank on anything until the baby's first cry.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Wed May 23, 2018 9:49 am

Loik098 wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 9:45 am
I guess some, like you, see it as the end of life as they know it and feel a sudden need to do a last hurrah. Others of us just saw having children as the next step in life and welcomed the new opportunity for family trips, having already taken many vacations before they ever came along. To each their own.
There is NO DOUBT that having a baby is the end of life as you know it. I'm not saying that as a negative, or a positive, but it is a fact. My wife and I didn't have a "babymoon" but I understand the impulse to do so.

Regardless of your motives, I'd definitely consider travel insurance for a trip like this. I had planned a trip during my wife's pregnancy and it had to be cancelled because she went on bed rest.

e5116

Post by e5116 » Wed May 23, 2018 10:43 am

Don't really have any recommendations for Hawaii as I haven't gone myself (although based on what I've heard/read, I'd lean towards Maui), but just thought I'd tell the OP to ignore some of the naysayers and do what you want! :D I think it is reasonable advice to try to stretch it out to be more than 3-4 nights if you can swing it though as that's a long flight to get there most likely.

My wife and I did a "babymoon" to Spain (although we had booked it before she was pregnant) and it was a great time even though she was dealing with morning sickness a fair amount. We then did weekend jaunts within the contiguous 48 states throughout the pregnancy. And when the baby came, we went to the Almafi Coast in Italy WITH the baby (at 10 weeks) during my wife's maternity leave. People thought we were crazy (which we probably were), but we love to see the world and travel and enjoyed the experience. Obviously, that trip was very different with a little baby then it would have been by ourselves, but it's a memory we'll have forever and wouldn't trade it. Now that we're expecting #2, wife wants to do another out of the country trip with the two children at around the 10-week mark again (it's actually easier to travel with an infant as they basically just sleep all day -- it's the toddler that's more challenging). So, if you enjoy that sort of stuff, you can make it work. Of course it will be a different sort of vacation/trip than it would be otherwise (and there is some additional travel stress for sure), but that's part of the adventure of having children!

Good luck and have fun!

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Wed May 23, 2018 10:47 am

A babymoon sounds great, but remember if you are travelling past the point of viability, ~23 weeks, if something significant happens like premature rupture of membranes, you may be stuck there until the baby is born, and if premature, through the NICU stay.

This is not common, but I have known multiple women who ended up delivering a preemie in a city that was not home, and it can be tough.